Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,580 members, 7,816,429 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:07 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (132) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2189197 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) (135) ... (713) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by seunlara(f): 5:10am On May 04, 2019
How can I join the Ottawa whatsapp group
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Olaneeran: 7:32am On May 04, 2019
Having read through the thread from page1, 02 different people asked about H&S practitioners heads-up, but there's been no response yet. Pls, landed Seniors should kindly advise on this.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by gracefoundmme(m): 12:59pm On May 04, 2019
Hi guys... can I or is it possible to become a librarian over there?
Because I read library and Information Science..

Is there any prospect for that area as a career?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Tochai007(m): 1:06pm On May 04, 2019
[quote author=amdman post=77999785]

Send me a PM if you are interested in joining the WhatsApp group of Nigerians in the GTA

Hi amdman, I sent you a PM. I'm interested in joining the group.

Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 2:48pm On May 04, 2019
Majesticniyi:

You really don't need more than a Class 5 except you have other plans cheesy
Maybe he has plans. In Alberta, there are two types of class 5. Basic(Gdl) and advanced(non-gdl).
He might need the advanced for some types of jobs. Some technical roles or jobs that require people to drive company vehicles will require class 5 advance and above with not more than 5 to 6 demerit points.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AZeD1(m): 3:03pm On May 04, 2019
seunlara:
How can I join the Ottawa whatsapp group
Are you in Ottawa already?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by seunlara(f): 3:25pm On May 04, 2019
Yes please
AZeD1:

Are you in Ottawa already?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AZeD1(m): 3:29pm On May 04, 2019
seunlara:
Yes please
Ok..
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by olu21ola: 6:12pm On May 04, 2019
amdman:
Bus Etiquettes
Avoid sitting in the reserved seats for pregnant women or people with babies, the elderly or physically challenged people. It is better to stand when other seats are occupied than to sit in those reserved seats, as you show your consideration for those the seats are reserved for. It is not acceptable to sit there with the intention of standing up when the appropriate person gets in… it can lead to an embarrassing moment. The fact that many people flout this rule doesn’t make it right. I attended a TTC training and this was a major part of it.

Super enlightening. Thanks a lot. I will be landing in the GTA next month. I am interested in the WhatsApp group. Will send you a pm
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Claire18: 7:58pm On May 04, 2019
I totally agree. My Husband and I are both architects which is a regulated profession. In our research so far, we know we have to begin as Interns which is a 3 year program, of which before then We have to pay for academic certification which is about $1850, hence would be looking for the lowest level in a firm or working in a closely related job to survive. I so ready to do other things like being a new mum and crafting while my Hubby continues professionally. That said....please any architect or architect technologist here Calgary bound in July! Any tip will be appreciated!
salford1:

Exactly. It's even tougher if they are couples are in regulated professions. One person would have to hustle to pay bills and rents while the other study or prepare hard to clear the exams in one attempts or while going through the internships which are hardly paid.

There are alternatives though which might be less stressful and pay a little above minimum wages. E.g there are assistants jobs for some in the tech industry or health industries. Only obstacle would be competing with a large pool of candidates. The lesser the requirement for a job, the more applications an employer would likely receive for an opening.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by petrichor: 10:02pm On May 04, 2019
Please, is it advisable to buy phone before leaving Nigeria? If yes, someone should please suggest any phone I can buy that will function well in Canada. Thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Claire18: 10:02pm On May 04, 2019
Hello dear, I hope you have finally settled in. Still waiting for your landing gist o....for morale!
Zeiya:
Hello fam,

Please I am currently in Scarborough (Airbnb) with a family of four and we are in need of a 2 bed apartment for rent within the GTA ( preferably Mississauga, North York, Scarborough and Etobicoke). Any info on how to easily get one will be highly appreciated.

Landing gist Loading pls...........................

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Suspect33(m): 10:21pm On May 04, 2019
canadaman18:
Hey folks, this advice is specifically for those in IT Field more specifically software / computer engineers ,and Full stack developers

There is a lot of demand for professionals in the aforementioned fields with extremely good salaries. It is not rare to meet an entry level grad making 80,000+ a year , infact that is what a top grad can expect in the GTA. An experienced developer can make 150K + easily. Now given the demand , are these jobs easy to get , YES and NO.

Why No?
Unlike a lot of professions (and of course no disrespect to those professions) software interviews are much more than a cultural fit or situational questions. You can expect multiple rounds of technical interviews and questions like "What is OOP" will be warm up at the most. So how do you get yourself prepared for this "exam" , the only answer is practice. It doesn't matter if you have been a developer for 10+ years, without practice you'll have forgotten a lot of the fundamental Data Structures and Algorithms which will be heavily tested for.

What then is the best way to practice :
1. ' www dot leetcode dot com ' is one I highly recommend. There are tons of questions but if you can solve one or two questions per day in easy mode and then ramping up difficulty progressively , after 2-3months you should be among the top candidates in most interviews.

2. Cracking The Coding Interview is another one . This is a comprehensive book that covers a lot of topics as well as provides tips on how to ace interviews at companies like Google, Amazon etc

I came here to share this because I know we Nigerians are smart and I personally want to see more Nigerians in top tier tech jobs but it's hard because most people wont even pass the first round relying simply on their existing experience.

Why Yes?
As I said above if you religiously go through the above material , youll find that your skills will move to a whole new level and these interviews will become very easy.

For anyone who takes interest in the materials and has questions on algorithms or implementations and so on , let me know

Source : Im a software engineer at one of the top 3 companies in the world.

Happy Coding guys !
good job bro, I would love to know if it's necessary to have a computer science or engineering degree to work as a software/computer eng, or programmer

1 Like 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by edababa007(m): 10:54pm On May 04, 2019
19CannyMum:
My people in Calgary, una well done o.

Abeg where/how dem dey take circumcise boy pikin for this city?

Please I'll appreciate advise and recommendations, thanks in advance.

1 Like 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AZeD1(m): 11:11pm On May 04, 2019
Suspect33:
good job bro, I would love to know if it's necessary to have a computer science or engineering degree to work as a software/computer eng, or programmer
Nope...

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 11:16pm On May 04, 2019
edababa007:

Bros of life. Delivering contacts like they're hot.

Thanks a lot, you too much.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by WoodcrestMayor(m): 11:41pm On May 04, 2019
Sorry bro. I've been away for a while. I'll send to you before end of day.
Bigdhemmy:
Hello bro, Please I will be glad if you can send me the materials. I am interested.Inbox me: peaceatalltime@gmail.com

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by WoodcrestMayor(m): 12:11am On May 05, 2019
Apologies for the late reply.

It goes without saying that Canada's system is a blessing to Nigerians who are used to paying school fees from day one till university. While i agree that other payments like mortgage and other monthly deductions make it less palatable for us, the structure gives us time to plan for it. Realistically speaking, parents have 18yrs to save up for their kids education.Some people pay down 2 mortgages in this same time frame. The RESP is the most obvious choice of investment for children cos it will set them up for life quicker than their peers who pay student loans for the first 7-10yrs after school. The whole idea of the RESP(Registered Education Savings Plan) is tax shelter and the benefit of drawing on compound interest. Setting aside some funds up to maximum amount allows you get benefits up to a lifetime amount of $7,200 from the government. Put in perspective...setting aside $100 bi-weekly per child(2) over 18yrs at a very conservative interest of 3.5% will amount to about $130,000 at the 18th year. While there is no guarantee, a moderate interest of 3.5 is super doable. Please note that this amount will be taxed when withdrawn but at the tax bracket of the children. For other investments options for them, the obvious option will be mutual funds since you have a fairly long time horizon. For the RESP investment, RBC has some educational target funds that start fairly aggressively and are re-balanced as the child closes in on his/her 18th birthday. The whole idea is: the closer you are to your investment time-frame, the less risk you should take.

I really can't think of any other investments for the kids. The system here is highly programmed and except one breaks into the crazy salary bracket, the options for wealth accumulation are limited. I'm willing to answer any more questions you might have.
19CannyMum:

How woodcrest, I'm sure all is going well?

Please do you have any info or advise to share on Children's account or investments? Thanks in advance.

30 Likes 36 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by edababa007(m): 3:02am On May 05, 2019
Where to buy stuffs in Calgary

16 Likes 23 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by edababa007(m): 3:16am On May 05, 2019
Try to book an appointment with the doctor via hockeymd@shaw.ca

19CannyMum:

Bros of life. Delivering contacts like they're hot.

Thanks a lot, you too much.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 4:00am On May 05, 2019
WoodcrestMayor:
Apologies for the late reply.

It goes without saying that Canada's system is a blessing to Nigerians who are used to paying school fees from day one till university. While i agree that other payments like mortgage and other monthly deductions make it less palatable for us, the structure gives us time to plan for it. Realistically speaking, parents have 18yrs to save up for their kids education.Some people pay down 2 mortgages in this same time frame. The RESP is the most obvious choice of investment for children cos it will set them up for life quicker than their peers who pay student loans for the first 7-10yrs after school. The whole idea of the RESP(Registered Education Savings Plan) is tax shelter and the benefit of drawing on compound interest. Setting aside some funds up to maximum amount allows you get benefits up to a lifetime amount of $7,200 from the government. Put in perspective...setting aside $100 bi-weekly per child(2) over 18yrs at a very conservative interest of 3.5% will amount to about $130,000 at the 18th year. While there is no guarantee, a moderate interest of 3.5 is super doable. Please note that this amount will be taxed when withdrawn but at the tax bracket of the children. For other investments options for them, the obvious option will be mutual funds since you have a fairly long time horizon. For the RESP investment, RBC has some educational target funds that start fairly aggressively and are re-balanced as the child closes in on his/her 18th birthday. The whole idea is: the closer you are to your investment time-frame, the less risk you should take.

I really can't think of any other investments for the kids. The system here is highly programmed and except one breaks into the crazy salary bracket, the options for wealth accumulation are limited. I'm willing to answer any more questions you might have.

Thanks for your response.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by bouqounmie(f): 4:31am On May 05, 2019
Hello everyone.
Please my Calgary people, do you have any agents to help with house rentals. The ones i have been contacting on rentfasterdotcom and kijiji have not been giving favourable responses. Airbnb prices are not helping either.
My family is arriving first week in
June. Please i need your help.
Thank you .

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by czaratwork: 6:11am On May 05, 2019
Please how much is US visa application for a PR card holder? Which country am i to choose as my nationality? Is it Nigeria or canada?

Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ehimen100: 7:23am On May 05, 2019
Claire18:
I totally agree. My Husband and I are both architects which is a regulated profession. In our research so far, we know we have to begin as Interns which is a 3 year program, of which before then We have to pay for academic certification which is about $1850, hence would be looking for the lowest level in a firm or working in a closely related job to survive. I so ready to do other things like being a new mum and crafting while my Hubby continues professionally. That said....please any architect or architect technologist here Calgary bound in July! Any tip will be appreciated!

Wish I had a tip for you. I am also an architect in Nigeria. Landing in Calgary next month. Paid for CACB certification, however yet to send my transcript because my school is delaying on that. You husband can start CACB too.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ehimen100: 7:26am On May 05, 2019
bouqounmie:
Hello everyone.
Please my Calgary people, do you have any agents to help with house rentals. The ones i have been contacting on rentfasterdotcom and kijiji have not been giving favourable responses. Airbnb prices are not helping either.
My family is arriving first week in
June. Please i need your help.
Thank you .

Sorry about that. I too have had unfavourable response. Calgary bound next month. Keep trying, so I am doing.

My calgary people I will like to know how much the average price of a 2 bedroom apartment should be in NW or SW. Is CAD1500 not on the high side? Abi na so house they cost.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 10:21am On May 05, 2019
petrichor:
Please, is it advisable to buy phone before leaving Nigeria? If yes, someone should please suggest any phone I can buy that will function well in Canada. Thank you

Been on this research for like 3months now. Pls help. I notice Samsung and iPhone are about the only unlocked phone with global network but I wish I could get other too
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Divinegifts: 10:55am On May 05, 2019
Good day all,

Been trying to catch up all these while and it's worth the read. But I have some peculiarities to my situation and will appreciate any advice or guidance you may offer.

I will be doing a soft landing in British Columbia in July with a family of 4; 2 adults, 1 child and 1 infant for 4 weeks. We will like to use this landing as a form of exploratory visit to physically see those cities we've read about online and decide on the one to settle in when we finally return next year.

We are looking at Burnaby, Langley or Kelowna.

Questions:

1. We want to spend 1 week each in those cities mentioned so we want to book airbnb for each of them. We do not have any family or friends in BC. Which address will we give at the POE for our PR cards? Can we use the airbnb address?

2. Can we give a family friend's address in Calgary at POE for PR card since we do not have anybody in BC and no permanent address?

3. Are there any other advice for getting the PR card? Hubby wants me to extend my stay and wait for the cards while he returns with the kids.

4. What is advisable to do during the 4 weeks apart from SIN? Can we open a joint bank account and deposit our POF? Will we still benefit from the 1 year free banking if we do this considering this is a soft landing to return finally next year?

5. Is it advisable for hubby to attempt the road test during this period as he is quite confident he will pass with a few hours of practice with an instructor?

6. Since there is a 3 month wait period in BC for health card, can we apply during this soft landing period or we have to wait when we finally land?

7. Can anybody please recommend an affordable health insurance we can buy from Nigeria to cover this softlanding period.

8. My kids' ages are 3 and 1. Do we need to take our car seats from Nigeria or is there a way around it as we learnt taxis are quite strict?

9. Hubby is a supply chain professional with over 10 years experience while mine is less than 3 years in same field. Any pointers for jobs we could check while we are there?

10. Is it possible to skip landing formalities in Toronto and proceed to Vancouver or we must sign our COPR in Toronto?

PS: We know BC is expensive but we've made up our mind. We will be alright �. We will appreciate hooking up with anybody in BC for guidance. If there is any WhatsApp group for BC, we would like to join. Apologies for the long epistle. All advice are highly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Suspect33(m): 11:04am On May 05, 2019
AZeD1:

Nope...
hmm, OK, what options does someone with a degree in marketing have in Canada
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by reniduke(f): 11:21am On May 05, 2019
Lol. You have PR not citizenship. Thou art a Nigerian. Apply like one.
czaratwork:
Please how much is US visa application for a PR card holder? Which country am i to choose as my nationality? Is it Nigeria or canada?

Thanks

16 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) (135) ... (713) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.