Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,935 members, 7,828,295 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:00 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (171) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2200777 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (168) (169) (170) (171) (172) (173) (174) ... (714) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jaygirl20: 7:16am On Jul 01, 2019
Elk Island National Park, Edmonton ~ a good spot for picnics grin

28 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Dera12345(f): 8:49am On Jul 01, 2019
Good day and happy new month everyone.

I have read a lot of priceless advices and help rendered on this wonderful platform, and I must confess- I’m truly impressed.

I will be landing in a month time and can’t wait to share my own landing gist grin. Meanwhile, I know it’s going to be hectic for me as I don’t have anyone in or around my destination- St. Catharines, Ontario (Brock University MSc Student). One of my major challenges is getting an apartment, I have searched through kijiji and not comfortable with the available ones. I need help on other areas I can channel my research on, or i would really appreciate more if a Godsent kiss on this forum who stays around my destination can help secure one for me and I will pay on arrival.
Thanks so much!!!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Christian22aa(m): 9:21am On Jul 01, 2019
Happy canada day

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by hinograce: 1:17pm On Jul 01, 2019
Jaygirl20:
There's a Telegram group..
. Thanks do u have d link? And happy Canada day
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by nonen(m): 1:45pm On Jul 01, 2019
Please does anyone have a list of things that’s preferably brought from Nigeria to Canada, rather than buying them in Canada
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Christian22aa(m): 3:05pm On Jul 01, 2019

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 234ng44uk(m): 3:10pm On Jul 01, 2019
nonen:
Please does anyone have a list of things that’s preferably brought from Nigeria to Canada, rather than buying them in Canada

That's basically everything. Nigeria has one of the cheapest cost of living in the world, I can bet that anything you buy from Nigeria would be at a fraction of its cost in Canada. Choose what you need most that weighs less and occupy least space.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by joo2018: 4:19pm On Jul 01, 2019
You need to clarify. Seized at which airport?

chikadami:
Good evening landed seniors.
Please Is it true day if u pack all your foodstuffs in one bag it will be seized?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by yemblaze(f): 6:50pm On Jul 01, 2019
Can't believe I missed this part.....

Scrolling backkkkk.......
grin grin

My boss lady @ifeoma77...Congrats. Enjoyed your landing gist and the vacay picturesssss....Enjoy yourself sis. All the best.
Plus I must not be left out of the vacay plan ooo...me sef like groove nah kiss

My oga @joo18....Congrats bro...What a landing gist. Enjoy your new home.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 10:06pm On Jul 01, 2019
wholesomegrace:

Its been a while on nairaland. Its not easy taking care of two babies alone so my hands are always full one way or the other.
Late landing gist:

When you shop, don't start converting cad to dollar. Naira that does not have value
Come with enough money o, you will need more than your POF. I paid 1,900 CAD creche fee for just one month for my two kids and you wont get subsidy till after the 6 months waiting period in Ontario. That's if you are coming to Ontario. I am eagerly waiting for next year tax session to recoup something.

Let Somebody shout Hallelujah!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin

Congrats on your landing.

Just wanted to note that you don't have to wait 6 months to get the child care subsidy in Ontario.

At least in the peel region where I stay, we didn't have to wait 6 months to get it. You can apply for it immediately you and your spouse get jobs.

This is also applicable to parents that are schooling.

The idea is, the parents must either be working or schooling.

Wow, $1900 for creche fee, that's a lot.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Hotstepper(f): 10:14pm On Jul 01, 2019
Enjoy it now as once una income incrases, either it reduces alot or u get to pay full

codebrew85:

Just wanted to note that you don't have to wait 6 months to get the child care subsidy in Ontario.

At least in the peel region where I stay, we didn't have to wait 6 months to get it. You can apply for it immediately you and your spouse get jobs.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Hotstepper(f): 10:15pm On Jul 01, 2019
Actually not bad for 2 kids....how old r they nd which city r u?

codebrew85:

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 10:25pm On Jul 01, 2019
Yes, sure I know, lol. Just wondering why she had to wait six months to apply.
Hotstepper:

Enjoy it now as once una income incrases, either it reduces alot or u get to pay full

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 10:27pm On Jul 01, 2019
Daycare fees no be am for here o. That $1,900 na some people salary for one month. City is Mississauga.
Hotstepper:

Actually not bad for 2 kids....how old r they nd which city r u?

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Hotstepper(f): 10:37pm On Jul 01, 2019
yes I know....how old r the kids?

codebrew85:
Daycare fees no be am for here o. That $1,900 na some people salary for one month. City is Mississauga.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by WisemasterBizWd: 10:50pm On Jul 01, 2019
Hi e fam. Pls help, my father is after anything education, I tried to explain this canada immigration stuff to him but seems he doesn't have interest. I have started d journey already for Canada PR as I will be writing my IELTS exam Aug 1st. Pls is it avisable for me to apply for master in Canada while am still on d process cos that is d only way he can come in and support me. Also I will like to know Canadian affordable schools for masters.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jennypharb1: 11:10pm On Jul 01, 2019
WisemasterBizWd:
Hi e fam. Pls help, my father is after anything education, I tried to explain this canada immigration stuff to him but seems he doesn't have interest. I have started d journey already for Canada PR as I will be writing my IELTS exam Aug 1st. Pls is it avisable for me to apply for master in Canada while am still on d process cos that is d only way he can come in and support me. Also I will like to know Canadian affordable schools for masters.

You can apply for a master's degree while pursuing the PR application. The icing on the cake would be if you were to become a PR you'd be paying fees as a PR and no more as an international student. Imagine paying $100 and where your fellow Nigerian would be paying $10000. Anyway, try selling that to your dad, I'm sure he won't mind saving some money. As for affordable schools in Canada, that one will depend on a number of factors like courses you're interested in, your CGPA etc Google has most of the answers. Meanwhile, Check out the thread below for all the information you need on the PR process. God speed

https://www.nairaland.com/5187408/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled

12 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by nonen(m): 11:23pm On Jul 01, 2019
Please does anyone have flying experience with Brussels Airlines. Hope they’re good to fly with.

Brussels airlines itinerary has two stopovers: France and Brussels, before landing in Canada. If I get the ticket, can I use it in getting transit visa for my family for France and Brussels?

Does the Brussels flight ticket guarantee that I must get the other transit visas?

What if someone doesn’t get transit visa, what are the options?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by feodan: 12:55am On Jul 02, 2019
Helo bro&sis . I really enjoy dis thrend. pls i need ur advice. A friend of mine told me of a work permit in canada and told me it won't cost me anything than to submit (3 copies) my waec result, my medical report, hiv, tb. Blood group and genotype. And my skill certificate, then my local government attestation and birth certificate . Pls i want to know wat category of work permit this fall into and is it adviceable for me to accept this offer. Pls i need ur advice pls !
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by psalmizt(m): 1:16am On Jul 02, 2019
smslive2:
The WhatsApp group is full but the Telegramis still open

Please can you share the link with me? Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by nike4luv(f): 1:43am On Jul 02, 2019
Happy Canada day!!

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by yemblaze(f): 2:44am On Jul 02, 2019
As in past past his house until we see his landing gist...then we will step on the brakes and do reverse back to his house grin

Topsmamen:

It's like we will all drive past Topsmamen's house together grin.

Congrats on your landing sis.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Adunnee: 2:57am On Jul 02, 2019
yemblaze:
As in past past his house until we see his landing gist...then we will step on the brakes and do reverse back to his house grin

Sister grin grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by yemblaze(f): 3:01am On Jul 02, 2019
Hugs hugs...miss you boo...How you doing?? kiss

Adunnee:

Sister grin grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Adunnee: 3:10am On Jul 02, 2019
yemblaze:
Hugs hugs...miss you boo...How you doing??

Awwww. I'm good dearie. Trust you're doing great. Hugs kiss
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 3:38am On Jul 02, 2019
nonen:
Please does anyone have flying experience with Brussels Airlines. Hope they’re good to fly with.

Brussels airlines itinerary has two stopovers: France and Brussels, before landing in Canada. If I get the ticket, can I use it in getting transit visa for my family for France and Brussels?

Does the Brussels flight ticket guarantee that I must get the other transit visas?

What if someone doesn’t get transit visa, what are the options?
If you are flying on a Nigerian passport, you would need a transit or shengen visa to fly through 2 EU countries. If you do not have the required visas, you would not be allowed to board from Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jaygirl20: 4:42am On Jul 02, 2019
Send me a direct message okay, so I can send you the link. Happy Canada day to you too! Hope you had a great day.
hinograce:
. Thanks do u have d link? And happy Canada day
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by silat(f): 8:43am On Jul 02, 2019
hey ma'am. thanks for the detailed landing gist. i sent a dm,please do reply i need to ask a few questions.
thanks

wholesomegrace:

Its been a while on nairaland. Its not easy taking care of two babies alone so my hands are always full one way or the other.
Late landing gist:

So we left the shores of Naija on a fateful day in February 2019. It was my first time on an airplane as I had this phobia for it. Myself, hubby and two angels. Good byes to family was a little tough for me. My mom was no where to be found at this time, I just knew she was crying somewhere. God bless her and keep her in Jesus name. So we had a little delay and we were served snacks. We went with Egypt Air, destination Toronto Ontario.

All bags were over the allowable weight but we were allowed some few kgs extra. So we had seven 26kg luggage instead of 23, four 10kg hand luggage instead of 8kg thereabout sha and finally my brethren, 2 car seats. One of the airline supervisors thereafter saw us with a backpack, hand bag, laptop bag and school bag which we carried alongside the others so in short, the guy said he won't allow us on the plane and we had to let go one hand luggage. Bags were not searched.

We boarded, got a bassinet seat and off we flew. Being a resilient jjc, I was calm through the journey. The food was good surprisingly as I had read otherwise. Even my baby got packaged cereal but they were stingy with water. Landing in Cairo was a little bumpy. We met a Nigerian couple and their kids also going to Toronto at this time. Throughout the journey, my two year old slept during take off and landing so he was calm to a good extent while my baby was just playing away and getting precious smiles from other passengers.

We met a long line of asylum seekers or so in Cairo cos looking at them, they obviously couldn't have applied through any of the processes we went through. So we proceeded into the next plane, a bigger one. The forever 12 hours flight to Toronto was smooth and I didn't even know when we landed, prompting passengers clap offering for the pilot.

While our documents were being checked, may I mention that a naija man and his partner were denied entry. I don't know why so I won't comment too much on this. The man was praying when we left him. I hope he finds peace. Anyways, we located our plenty luggage, hired a portal, submitted goods to follow and found my bro and wifey. I don't think I used one minute outside in the cold loading our bags into the vehicle before I started shivering. Interestingly, the next day we landed, I fell terribly ill. I hardly fall ill so it was really tough on me but I thank God I had my family to take care of the kids. I was so weak I couldn't eat, then on one of the days, I woke up to see my boy trying to push a spoon of yogurt into my mouth. He had probably heard them begging me to eat and wanted to feed mummy. What a blessing.

We began the necessary documentations and job hunt right away. By March, I got a job with one Insurance company as I was getting tired of staying at home. Also that same March, I got a good offer with a Bank.

So this is June, I have held my own with hubby back in naija since by His wonderful grace. There were few times I was really burdened with settling but thank God its over. The Lord is good and faithful.

I have not moved around much but let me drop few learning points especially for us moms alone with God:
Networking will get you your desired job faster. Try connect with as much people as you can. The thread is filled with so much info which should help you get it right
Probability that you will achieve set goals here is high cos the environment is one that will help you to succeed
Try register early enough for your written and road test especially. I know some people are driving gurus but taking the test in a familiar environment helped me.
The first few months will be tough, but ease off the stress by reaching out to trusted people for help. I am not shy to ask for one and I've met angels everywhere who have favoured me
If you work irregular hours and you have young children, prayerfully look for approved home day care centers. Those ones are more flexible and cheaper. Late pick up fee is real here.
Be prayerful. Its hard to get lost since you have a lot going
Be careful with spending but I will tell you for free, if that thing is going to make your life easier and its legal, get it!
When you shop, don't start converting cad to dollar. Naira that does not have value
Come with enough money o, you will need more than your POF. I paid 1,900 CAD creche fee for just one month for my two kids and you wont get subsidy till after the 6 months waiting period in Ontario. That's if you are coming to Ontario. I am eagerly waiting for next year tax session to recoup something.

I would have had more to contribute but I am already forgetting those early days.

@thecongo, I appreciate you. He was of help when I was in London ON. I pray the Lord will reward you and keep you from evil in Jesus name.
To everyone, we took a bold step to move out of our comfort zones, may we not count any loss in Jesus name.

Finally, to me @wholesomegrace, highly favoured of the most High, recipient of Jehovah's divine mercies over and again, I Welcome myself Home and I declare, that to all You gave me, I will lose no one in Jesus mighty name

Let Somebody shout Hallelujah!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by nonen(m): 8:44am On Jul 02, 2019
salford1:

If you are flying on a Nigerian passport, you would need a transit or shengen visa to fly through 2 EU countries. If you do not have the required visas, you would not be allowed to board from Lagos.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jbelieve: 8:51am On Jul 02, 2019
nonen:

This is good news. Please what's the duration of layover in France when transiting. And also does UK and BA allow layover for Nigerian nationals with Canada PR state heading to Canada. If yes, please how long is the layover?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 234ng44uk(m): 9:46am On Jul 02, 2019
Jbelieve:

This is good news. Please what's the duration of layover in France when transiting. And also does UK and BA allow layover for Nigerian nationals with Canada PR state heading to Canada. If yes, please how long is the layover?

Transit visa is not required for any EU country including UK except you're changing airport within that country e.g between Heathrow and Gatwick. You could always confirm from the airline.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by WisemasterBizWd: 10:24am On Jul 02, 2019
Jennypharb1:

You can apply for a master's degree while pursuing the PR application. The icing on the cake would be if you were to become a PR you'd be paying fees as a PR and no more as an international student. Imagine paying $100 and where your fellow Nigerian would be paying $10000. Anyway, try selling that to your dad, I'm sure he won't mind saving some money. As for affordable schools in Canada, that one will depend on a number of factors like courses you're interested in, your CGPA etc Google has most of the answers. Meanwhile, Check out the thread below for all the information you need on the PR process. God speed

https://www.nairaland.com/5187408/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled

Amen. Thank u, am very grateful.

(1) (2) (3) ... (168) (169) (170) (171) (172) (173) (174) ... (714) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: Saccharine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.