Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,042 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:34 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (172) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2188808 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (169) (170) (171) (172) (173) (174) (175) ... (713) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by harry41: 12:24pm On Jul 02, 2019
Hello House,

Please which is more beneficial? Changing Naira to USD before landing in Canada or change Naira to CAD before landing? Please help
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Hotstepper(f): 12:33pm On Jul 02, 2019
USD i think

harry41:
Hello House,

Please which is more beneficial? Changing Naira to USD before landing in Canada or change Naira to CAD before landing? Please help

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 2:26pm On Jul 02, 2019
nonen:

You are still missing it.

Your post refers to only one transit or stop over.

If you are transiting in Paris CDG plus another EU airport e.g Amsterdam Schipol, you would be denied boarding in Nigeria if you do not have a schengen or transit visa.

As per getting a transit visa, is it worth the stress? In addition to it not being guaranteed, why would you want to take the risk? I think it's better to buy a ticket with one stop-over in Europe than go through the hassle of obtaining a transit visa, except you are saving lots of money on the tickets.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jbelieve: 2:53pm On Jul 02, 2019
234ng44uk:

Transit visa is not required for any EU country including UK except you're changing airport within that country e.g between Heathrow and Gatwick. You could always confirm from the airline.

Thanks for the reply. I also want to also ask if you landing for the first time in Canada does the pr visa enable you to stay in UK for some days say a week before getting to Canada.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AZeD1(m): 3:18pm On Jul 02, 2019
Jbelieve:

Thanks for the reply. I also want to also ask if you landing for the first time in Canada does the pr visa enable you to stay in UK for some days say a week before getting to Canada.
You need a visa to enter the UK as a Nigerian.

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Bracha: 4:40pm On Jul 02, 2019
Naira to USD. The USD is a worldwide legal tender, unlike the CAD which isn't at the moment.

harry41:
Hello House,

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by harry41: 4:50pm On Jul 02, 2019
Thank you very much

Bracha:
Naira to USD. The USD is a worldwide legal tender, unlike the CAD which isn't at the moment.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by harry41: 4:51pm On Jul 02, 2019
Many thanks

Hotstepper:

USD i think

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 234ng44uk(m): 4:51pm On Jul 02, 2019
Jbelieve:

No it does not. You're not a PR yet until you first land in Canada and get your PR card.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by donrabii: 5:06pm On Jul 02, 2019
Best option is to exchange some CAD for Naira after arriving. Just have some money to sustain you for the first few days, open an account,

Hello House,

Please which is more beneficial? Changing Naira to USD before landing in Canada or change Naira to CAD before landing? Please help[/quote]
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by TheAfrikan: 5:16pm On Jul 02, 2019
TheAfrikan:
Goodday Everyone,

I want to ask, " is 250 USD okay for BTA?(I already have accommodation and transportation covered)"

Thank you.

In the spirit of discussing funds for travelling.. Can someone please help with this query.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by nonen(m): 8:35pm On Jul 02, 2019
salford1:

If you are transiting in Paris CDG plus another EU airport e.g Amsterdam Schipol, you would be denied boarding in Nigeria if you do not have a schengen or transit visa.

As per getting a transit visa, is it worth the stress? In addition to it not being guaranteed, why would you want to take the risk? I think it's better to buy a ticket with one stop-over in Europe than go through the hassle of obtaining a transit visa, except you are saving lots of money on the tickets.

Thanks Bros

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Hatudume: 10:47pm On Jul 02, 2019
Please I would like more light to be thrown on WES evaluation and ICAN. I want to know if it can be considered as a Canadian equivalent certificate
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by wholesomegrace: 12:13am On Jul 03, 2019
codebrew85:

Congrats on your landing.

Just wanted to note that you don't have to wait 6 months to get the child care subsidy in Ontario.

At least in the peel region where I stay, we didn't have to wait 6 months to get it. You can apply for it immediately you and your spouse get jobs.

This is also applicable to parents that are schooling.

The idea is, the parents must either be working or schooling.

Wow, $1900 for creche fee, that's a lot.

I believe this will apply to a good part of Ontario cos I had actually called to know when I would start receiving subsidy and it was confirmed that wait-list was 6 solid months and whatever I paid the creche within those months will not be refunded. If you don't provide documentations for work or school that one is just waste of time and resources cos your waitlist starts to count when you make them available. The 1900 CAD is also for two babies, and they actually informed me of an increase to 2,200 CAD the next month for both of them. Check out cedar hollow school. its in London ON. Its better to be prepared than to come and get stranded. That's the whole point. Thanks grin grin grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by wholesomegrace: 12:27am On Jul 03, 2019
silat:
hey ma'am. thanks for the detailed landing gist. i sent a dm,please do reply i need to ask a few questions.
thanks

Hi, I didn't see any. Please resend
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Linsigne(m): 6:44am On Jul 03, 2019
donrabii:
Best option is to exchange some CAD for Naira after arriving. Just have some money to sustain you for the first few days, open an account,

Hello House,

[color=#006600][/color]

Changing naira to usd before arriving is beta.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 234ng44uk(m): 9:56am On Jul 03, 2019
codebrew85:

Congrats on your landing.

Just wanted to note that you don't have to wait 6 months to get the child care subsidy in Ontario.

At least in the peel region where I stay, we didn't have to wait 6 months to get it. You can apply for it immediately you and your spouse get jobs.

This is also applicable to parents that are schooling.

The idea is, the parents must either be working or schooling.

Wow, $1900 for creche fee, that's a lot.

What's the fee like in your region, how much did you pay for your child?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 10:40am On Jul 03, 2019
TheAfrikan:

In the spirit of discussing funds for travelling.. Can someone please help with this query.

BTA to where and for what purpose? Is your POF still intact?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by TheAfrikan: 12:51pm On Jul 03, 2019
bLacKGoLd3:

BTA to where and for what purpose? Is your POF still intact?

Thank you,

Been waiting for a response. Canada, for study. POF is very intact.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 1:30pm On Jul 03, 2019
TheAfrikan:

Thank you,

Been waiting for a response. Canada, for study. POF is very intact.

You're welcome.

$250 is very okay - should cover for your taxi, stop-over breakfast or lunch and in-flight specials, if you ever need one.
Don't allow any person to bully or con you at the airport oooo (typically for first-time travelers from Naija). Simply tell them that all the money you will ever require for your trip is on your Visa/Mastercard.

Safe trip!

11 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by TheAfrikan: 2:32pm On Jul 03, 2019
bLacKGoLd3:

You're welcome.

$250 is very okay - should cover for your taxi, stop-over breakfast or lunch and in-flight specials, if you ever need one.
Don't allow any person to bully or con you at the airport oooo (typically for first-time travelers from Naija). Simply tell them that all the money you will ever require for your trip is on your Visa/Mastercard.

Safe trip!

Thank you very much. smiley

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by nonen(m): 3:11pm On Jul 03, 2019
We recently received our copr letter from IRCC, however, my wife’s passport is being renewed. How do we notify IRCC about the change in passport, as we’re about transmitting passports to Ghana through VFS?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 4:06pm On Jul 03, 2019
234ng44uk:

What's the fee like in your region, how much did you pay for your child?
Average is like 1650CD per month for my 2 kids but currently not paying anything yet.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 4:14pm On Jul 03, 2019
wholesomegrace:

I believe this will apply to a good part of Ontario cos I had actually called to know when I would start receiving subsidy and it was confirmed that wait-list was 6 solid months and whatever I paid the creche within those months will not be refunded. If you don't provide documentations for work or school that one is just waste of time and resources cos your waitlist starts to count when you make them available. The 1900 CAD is also for two babies, and they actually informed me of an increase to 2,200 CAD the next month for both of them. Check out cedar hollow school. its in London ON. Its better to be prepared than to come and get stranded. That's the whole point. Thanks grin grin grin
Interesting, apparently the rules are quite different in your region.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Pamperme: 4:22pm On Jul 03, 2019
salford1:

Just a little clarification please. Does this apply to a PR travelling to Lagos with two stops in Europe? in this case, stopover in Paris and Amsterdam?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Hotstepper(f): 4:39pm On Jul 03, 2019
I think so as u will need it

Pamperme:

Just a little clarification please. Does this apply to a PR travelling to Lagos with two stops in Europe? in this case, stopover in Paris and Amsterdam?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ITABABE: 5:35pm On Jul 03, 2019
Pamperme:

so long as you are using a Nigerian passport to travel through the two airports , you will need a transit visa
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Oakville19: 6:16pm On Jul 03, 2019
Hello House has anybody processed FRSC extract recently, Mr. Sule not picking. Also does anyone have an idea where the FRSC office for processing it in Abuja is.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Izzie06: 6:56pm On Jul 03, 2019
Oakville19:
Hello House has anybody processed FRSC extract recently, Mr. Sule not picking. Also does anyone have an idea where the FRSC office for processing it in Abuja is.

It's in Wuse zone 3 opposite the Nigeria Customs headquarters. You can obtain the extract on the fourth floor , where officer Sule sits.

9 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Pamperme: 7:20pm On Jul 03, 2019
thanks @ITABABE and @Hotstepper
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 7:47pm On Jul 03, 2019
Hatudume:
Please I would like more light to be thrown on WES evaluation and ICAN. I want to know if it can be considered as a Canadian equivalent certificate
no
Do u have ats?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Dinma27: 8:00pm On Jul 03, 2019
Hi people, which Province is best to start a life in Canada.

Family size- 2; Husband and wife

(1) (2) (3) ... (169) (170) (171) (172) (173) (174) (175) ... (713) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.