Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,183 members, 7,818,589 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:22 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (257) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2191955 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (254) (255) (256) (257) (258) (259) (260) ... (713) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Villagegirl: 2:38am On Nov 29, 2019
19CannyMum:

My dear people earn 6 figure in this Canada o. Annual sha.

I know but usually for select jobs and positions. For a new immigrant who is not in IT or one of those special fields, it's rare. But then again, anyone's faith can take them anywhere!

11 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 4:37am On Nov 29, 2019
Villagegirl:

I know but usually for select jobs and positions. For a new immigrant who is not in IT or one of those special fields, it's rare. But then again, anyone's faith can take them anywhere!
Select companies or employers too. Some offer salaries/benefits above market rates. e.g. extractive industries, energy firms, healthcare etc.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by GozyNA: 6:14am On Nov 29, 2019
Funky123:

Have been reading to see one pix to just feed my eyes......One day Dreamland is gonna become a real home

It’ll happen sooner than you think. Keep at it.

11 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Influential101: 7:40am On Nov 29, 2019
Villagegirl:

But you don't know what field OP's wife is in and how many years experience & qualifications she had from home..

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Collintos: 9:35am On Nov 29, 2019
gsade:

Hi Colintos, please would like to know the type of IT course you did. I have sent you a PM. Can you please reply. Thank you.

To clarify, That is the story of a PR resident not mine. Decided to share,I would think that was clear like other shares

Regards
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by cochtrane(m): 10:05am On Nov 29, 2019
Wait o. Are you guys saying it's almost impossible to earn six figures in Canada?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by mbhs139(m): 10:59am On Nov 29, 2019
Pwinkle1:
Hello Canadians, please I really need some help. My Wes has been at verification stage for a while now and Unilag is taking their time. Please does anyone have a contact thay have used to fast track the verification process? Please help a sister!

When you get there, ask for Mr Ifeanyi. He will help you.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Pwinkle1(f): 2:20pm On Nov 29, 2019
mbhs139:

When you get there, ask for Mr Ifeanyi. He will help you.

Okay, thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 2:32pm On Nov 29, 2019
cochtrane:
Wait o. Are you guys saying it's almost impossible to earn six figures in Canada?
No one said it was impossible. Lots of people earn 6 figures. Maybe not for lots of new immigrants or people starting early in their careers, but at some point, people will get there if they work in a good company with structured salary increment steps or promotions.
If you work in trades, you can hit 6 figures even as a second year apprentice (atleast in my industry - Energy).
However 100k is still not easy to attain in Canada since this earnings places your income in the top 10% (need to verify) in Canada.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Royalty1(m): 3:00pm On Nov 29, 2019
I would like to ask this.

Has anyone migrated to Canada and worked as a Photographer/Video Editor and the likes?

All I am seeing here are white collar jobs.

Do you know anyone in such a field?

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 3:18pm On Nov 29, 2019
However, money shouldn't be the motivator when building a career, but it may be better to look for a job that gives peace of mind and lets you have time for your family.

Just last week, I almost applied for a job that would pay guaranteed $160k a year, but this will keep me out of the house for nights and weeks, lots of hotel living, and would require frequent travels and living in the US. Thinking of how it will affect the family, the wife rejected the idea, so I did not bother sending in my application.

It could be easy to neglect kids when both husband/wife are chasing that huge money except you rise to become a senior management/executive at your place of work, or you are a doctor, meaning you can still put in your regular work hours plus a few extra and still earn lots.

In addition, lots of money looks good on paper till higher tax band hits and government cuts off all those freebies for earning too much. Canada is a first world country that tries to level everyone. Some soon realise that the difference in pay might not be worth it afterall.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Blackbuddy: 3:22pm On Nov 29, 2019
Hello folks, found this list on Twitter. Information on recruiting agencies. ���� Link to the original source at the bottom.

Here is a list of some International Recruitment agencies in Canada that source talent outside Canada.

Breakdown is based on location, some of the industries they recruit for and candidates they work with.

Short Thread.
1. Michael Page
Industry: All
Candidates: Banking & finance, Digital/ E-commerce, Engineering & Manufacturing, HR, IT, Marketing, Sales.

2. Island Recruiting
Industry: Home Care, Administrative
Candidates: HR, Care Givers.
3. Canada Connect
Industry: Engineering, Agric, Healthcare
Candidates: Professionals, Skilled Positions, Low-Skilled Positions, Engineers, Caregivers

4. Renard Int.
Industry: Hospitality
Cand: Sales & Marketing, Food & Beverage, Engineering.
5. Global Hire
Industry: Health Care, Trucking, Welding & Skilled Labour
Candidates: Skilled Positions, Caregivers, Nursing.

6. Hays Recruitment Canada
7. Work Global Canada
Industry: Engineering, Agric, Healthcare
Candidates: Professionals, Skilled Positions, Low-Skilled Positions, Engineers, Agriculture, Caregivers

8. Alliance Online
Industry: Agric, Construction, Energy, Automotive, IT.
9. Drake International
Industry: All
Candidates: Admin, Finance, Sales & Marketing, Drivers, IT & Engineering, HR, Warehousing.

10. Hire Immigrants.
Industry: All.
11. Outpost Recruitment
Industry: Construction and Engineering
Candidates: Contractors, Engineering Consultancies, Developers.

12. Cowan International
Main Industry: Engineering & Construction Industries
Candidates: Related to the industry.

Source: https://threader.app/thread/1200120623793618946

45 Likes 48 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 3:30pm On Nov 29, 2019
Royalty1:
I would like to ask this.

Has anyone migrated to Canada and worked as a Photographer/Video Editor and the likes?

All I am seeing here are white collar jobs.

Do you know anyone in such a field?

Thanks.
I have a former school colleague who now works as a photographer in St. Albert, Alberta Check out memoirs_photographer on insta.
Following her could give you some pointers. You may have to carve out your own niche as it's an industry with lots of people in it.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NaijaGoingMaple: 3:54pm On Nov 29, 2019
It's @memoirs_photography

salford1:

I have a former school colleague who now works as a photographer in St. Albert, Alberta Check out memoirs_photographer on insta.
Following her could give you some pointers. You may have to carve out your own niche as it's an industry with lots of people in it.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford: 3:57pm On Nov 29, 2019
NaijaGoingMaple:

It's @memoirs_photography

my bad.. Thanks.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ahiboilandgas: 4:13pm On Nov 29, 2019
salford1:
However, money shouldn't be the motivator when building a career, but it may be better to look for a job that gives peace of mind and lets you have time for your family.

Just last week, I almost applied for a job that would pay guaranteed $160k a year, but this will keep me out of the house for nights and weeks, lots of hotel living, and would require frequent travels and living in the US. Thinking of how it will affect the family, the wife rejected the idea, so I did not bother sending in my application.

It could be easy to neglect kids when both husband/wife are chasing that huge money except you rise to become a senior management/executive at your place of work, or you are a doctor, meaning you can still put in your regular work hours plus a few extra and still earn lots.

In addition, lots of money looks good on paper till higher tax band hits and government cuts off all those freebies for earning too much. Canada is a first world country that tries to level everyone. Some soon realise that the difference in pay might not be worth it afterall.

hello have u heard of the start up visa ? For enterprenure starting out in Canada,are u aware of any Nigerian that came through the route
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford: 4:35pm On Nov 29, 2019
ahiboilandgas:
hello have u heard of the start up visa ? For enterprenure starting out in Canada,are u aware of any Nigerian that came through the route
I don't know anyone that came through that route.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ahiboilandgas: 4:38pm On Nov 29, 2019
salford:

I don't know anyone that came through that route.
ok thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by lynniebabes(f): 8:19pm On Nov 29, 2019
Well I know I could do that. I have two kids. I just wanna be sure. I have uhm been to Calgary before. It was a short visit cos I went shopping . Never been to Edmonton.
Villagegirl:

You're in your 20's if you have no mighty responsibilities, explore both cities for yourself. You can take up a part-time or daily job to pay off your expenses. Rent a cheap airbnb in the heart of town and discover what both cities have to offer.

If you have responsibilities like a growing family...make a decision, stick to it and try it out for a year or two. By then you'd have enough Canadian experience and maybe some savings to be able to transit to another job in a new city.

Canada is YOURS TO DISCOVER!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Dtarmon(m): 8:44pm On Nov 29, 2019
ahiboilandgas:

I know someone that did startup visa, what do u want to know?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Elektra008(f): 8:53pm On Nov 29, 2019
salford1:

Select companies or employers too. Some offer salaries/benefits above market rates. e.g. extractive industries, energy firms, healthcare etc.
could you please share some names of those select companies too?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jesusbaby01: 9:02pm On Nov 29, 2019
lynniebabes:
Hello house thinking of moving to Edmonton or Calgary for a short while I’m in my late twenties, I live in Lagos, I love fun cities. Please btw this two cities which is better?

Having lived in both I would say Calgary, that city is pleasing to the eye but Edmonton is where the jobs are

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jesusbaby01: 9:03pm On Nov 29, 2019
COPR2020:

If i may ask, why didn't you write it?

Lost interest and I was making more than writing the exam would pay me per hour when I eventually get to work with it
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jesusbaby01: 9:05pm On Nov 29, 2019
QueenJoeffrey:
Please once you have your PR , can you visit Montreal or you are not allowed to go there at all??

you can visit and I must tell you that Montreal is very beautiful

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 10:17pm On Nov 29, 2019
Elektra008:
could you please share some names of those select companies too?
The list is long.
Almost all oil companies (producing and servicing), government work (provincial and municipal), Pharmacy (retail and production), Provincial Healthcare agencies e.g AHS, Physios clinics, Utilities e.g Epcor, Fortis, Enmax, (gas, water, electric), IT firms, Banks (outside branch), consultancies (big 4), Engineering consultancies etc.
Glassdoor is a good tool for insight into how much companies pay their employees.

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 10:21pm On Nov 29, 2019
What is going on in Alberta? With NDP, it was oilfield workers. Now with UPC, it's government workers losing jobs. I have never really heard of nurses losing jobs since I became an Adult. They would simply move to the USA. It was 90 lawyers yesterday.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 10:27pm On Nov 29, 2019
jesusbaby01:

Having lived in both I would say Calgary, that city is pleasing to the eye but Edmonton is where the jobs are
Calgary is more of an oil city and indeed beautiful. Edmonton is more diverse with lots of gov work. Calgary took a beating during the last 4 to 5 years because of low oil price.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 10:50pm On Nov 29, 2019
In other news, the IT sector is booming. There is a job fair in Calgary this weekend. The event takes place at the Sheraton Eau Claire from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seven Calgary technology companies are joining forces to host a major hiring fair this weekend and in the process, try to raise awareness of the city's burgeoning tech scene.

Calling themselves Tech West Collective, the group is made up of some of Calgary’s biggest and most successful technology companies, including Benevity — which has grown from 70 employees to approximately 500 in the last three years — and Showpass, the event ticketing company that is expanding so rapidly it expects to double its head count from 40 to 80 by the end of 2020. ATB Financial, the Alberta-based bank that has been investing in fintech and innovation in an effort to become more modern and competitive, is also a member.

Tech West Collective’s first major initiative will be a hiring fair Saturday. The seven-member companies have more than 200 vacant positions between them, said Tom Short, founder of Tech West member Kudos (which has developed a peer-to-peer employee recognition software program used by clients in 80 countries around the world).

“At Kudos alone, we’re going from 30 to 40 people in Q1 next year, we have 10 open positions,” Short said. “This (job fair) is about making people aware that you don’t have to go work for an oil and gas company. There are all these other cool companies out there you might not even have been aware of.”

According to Calgary Economic Development, there are over 2,000 vacant positions available in this city at any given time for software engineers, data scientists, and other types of programming, development and technology roles. This is in spite of the fact that the city’s overall unemployment rate remains elevated at 7.2 per cent.

Short said Calgary-based tech companies have long struggled to find and attract the skilled employees they need.

“We are competing against Toronto, against Vancouver, even Montreal — all of which are ahead of us when it comes to the development of their technical community,” he said.

While the tech sector will continue to recruit nationally and internationally for tough-to-fill positions, Short said the members of Tech West Collective also believe it’s time for the sector to step up and do more to raise awareness locally. Some of the jobs that are available, such as marketing and customer support roles, don’t require specialized technical skills and could be a fit for someone transferring from the oil and gas sector.

Short said it’s time for Calgary to start “putting itself on the map” as a centre of excellence for technology-based companies, so that the city not only becomes more attractive for young talent around the world but also so that people locally become aware of the world-class products and services coming out of this city that have nothing to do with oil and gas.

“Calgary’s always been a technology town, but that technology has always revolved around oil and gas,” Short said. “But now we’re starting to see that talent and entrepreneurial spirit demonstrated in 100 different ways. Some of these companies have big footprints and are seeing rapid global growth and opportunities.”

In addition to Kudos, Benevity, Showpass and ATB Financial, Avanti, AltaML and Replicon are also part of Tech West Collective and will be participating in Saturday’s hiring fair.

Source: Calgary Herald.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Esobabe: 11:16pm On Nov 29, 2019
Hello everyone, I want to know if it’s possible to travel to Canada, start my PR process and then come back to Nigeria in January for a relatives wedding as my visa is valid till April. So, can I use my immigrant visa to re-enter into Canada if my PR card isn’t ready by January?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Tantolu: 2:35am On Nov 30, 2019
salford1:

No one said it was impossible. Lots of people earn 6 figures. Maybe not for lots of new immigrants or people starting early in their careers, but at some point, people will get there if they work in a good company with structured salary increment steps or promotions.
If you work in trades, you can hit 6 figures even as a second year apprentice (atleast in my industry - Energy).
However 100k is still not easy to attain in Canada since this earnings places your income in the top 10% (need to verify) in Canada.

6 figures is good,bur remember CRA too dey wait for you o...
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by MummyJaygirls: 7:32am On Nov 30, 2019
wale200:
how can i contact MummyJaygirls pls?

Do u have money for me? grin

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by MummyJaygirls: 7:38am On Nov 30, 2019
Three (3) bedroom apartment to be available in the mature upscale neighborhood of Blue Quill (Edmonton)

The apartment is a 9 mins walk to the Century Park LRT station and has very close bus stop access.

There is a catholic school and a public school within a 700m distance. Other attractions include - 2 daycares, shopping mall, a clinic, 2 dental clinics, a pharmacy, many restaurants, 2 convenience stores and 2 gas stations are within 200m of the house.

The rent is holy and contains water and heating. The apartment has stainless steel appliances and nice neighbors ✌�

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (254) (255) (256) (257) (258) (259) (260) ... (713) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: Venom104

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.