Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,150 members, 7,818,467 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:24 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (256) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2191686 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (253) (254) (255) (256) (257) (258) (259) ... (713) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Suspectzero(m): 8:53am On Nov 27, 2019
Collintos:

Hi all,

I too would like to share my personal experience for the benefit of those who are thinking about immigration; I moved to Canada last year, August 2018 to be precise. I am in my early 30s, born and brought up in Mumbai (one of the biggest city in the world), India.

Back in India: I used to work at an MNC as an AVP; my daily life was like waking up at 6 a.m. getting ready and then the everyday struggle to get in the local train from the suburbs (coz even with a 7 figure salary I couldn’t afford a home in the city and though I had a car I never took it to work considering the stress of driving in the insane traffic and the condition of the road). I used to reach work at 9 a.m., continue working for 10 to 12 hrs (it’s a norm here) and then again struggle to board the train from the city back to the suburbs (the whole crowd moves in the same direction yet the authorities don’t care neither the crowd). Once back by 9–10 p.m, I used to spend some time with my friends depending on their availability and my timing, have dinner and then go to sleep.

Here in Canada: I struggled a lot initially but after 4 months of patience, hard work, a lot of research & networking and a few certifications I got a job (I moved from finance into IT industry and from being an AVP to a Manager). Also, I moved to a smaller city in the scenic Okanagan Valley (kind of Goa in India) that has an amazing weather for most part of the year; rather than settling in big cities like Toronto or Vancouver (preferred destination by many immigrants). I earn a 5 figure salary but in CADs of course and I live in a house (bungalow as we call in Mumbai). I wake up at 6 a.m. as usual but here I have time to offer my prayers in peace, prepare as well as relish the tasty breakfast before leaving for work at 7:30 and the best part, I walk to work [I don’t have a car here coz I didn’t clear the driving test (twice), and eventually when I get it, I still won’t drive to work; 1. There is a 6 month or probably a years waiting for parking space in my office building 2. I live just 20 mins walking distance from work, that’s hardly 5–10 mins on bicycle and 15–20 mins by bus]. I work from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (it’s a norm here) and I am back home by 5:30 p.m. then I enjoy the rest of my day reading in the local library or playing badminton/ working out in the nearby club/ fitness center or take a nice stroll along the lake front that’s hardly 5 mins from my home.

It’s just been 6 months for me in Canada but I have enjoyed every bit of it, right from the struggle of getting a relevant job to appearing & reappearing for my driving tests, making new friends (from different nationalities) to shoveling snow from the walkway around my house. I do miss my family and friends a lot but then life is all about give and take, I prefer this life over the one back in India where I have my family and friends but hardly had any time to spend with them or with myself.

Hope you are happy now grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Wonderful story. Thanks for sharing.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by lynniebabes(f): 1:55pm On Nov 27, 2019
Hello house thinking of moving to Edmonton or Calgary for a short while I’m in my late twenties, I live in Lagos, I love fun cities. Please btw this two cities which is better?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by MummyO24: 2:08pm On Nov 27, 2019
Good morning/afternoon landed seniors.

Please does anyone know if there is an ACCA tuition centre in Winnipeg, Manitoba or anyone with an idea or advice on how one can study for the SBR, SBL and Ps to complete the ACCA program. Self study seems like an uphill task. Kindly assist
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by abbey4christ(m): 3:10pm On Nov 27, 2019
Oh yes i am grin grin
Collintos:

Hi all,

I too would like to share my personal experience for the benefit of those who are thinking about immigration; I moved to Canada last year, August 2018 to be precise. I am in my early 30s, born and brought up in Mumbai (one of the biggest city in the world), India.

Back in India: I used to work at an MNC as an AVP; my daily life was like waking up at 6 a.m. getting ready and then the everyday struggle to get in the local train from the suburbs (coz even with a 7 figure salary I couldn’t afford a home in the city and though I had a car I never took it to work considering the stress of driving in the insane traffic and the condition of the road). I used to reach work at 9 a.m., continue working for 10 to 12 hrs (it’s a norm here) and then again struggle to board the train from the city back to the suburbs (the whole crowd moves in the same direction yet the authorities don’t care neither the crowd). Once back by 9–10 p.m, I used to spend some time with my friends depending on their availability and my timing, have dinner and then go to sleep.

Here in Canada: I struggled a lot initially but after 4 months of patience, hard work, a lot of research & networking and a few certifications I got a job (I moved from finance into IT industry and from being an AVP to a Manager). Also, I moved to a smaller city in the scenic Okanagan Valley (kind of Goa in India) that has an amazing weather for most part of the year; rather than settling in big cities like Toronto or Vancouver (preferred destination by many immigrants). I earn a 5 figure salary but in CADs of course and I live in a house (bungalow as we call in Mumbai). I wake up at 6 a.m. as usual but here I have time to offer my prayers in peace, prepare as well as relish the tasty breakfast before leaving for work at 7:30 and the best part, I walk to work [I don’t have a car here coz I didn’t clear the driving test (twice), and eventually when I get it, I still won’t drive to work; 1. There is a 6 month or probably a years waiting for parking space in my office building 2. I live just 20 mins walking distance from work, that’s hardly 5–10 mins on bicycle and 15–20 mins by bus]. I work from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (it’s a norm here) and I am back home by 5:30 p.m. then I enjoy the rest of my day reading in the local library or playing badminton/ working out in the nearby club/ fitness center or take a nice stroll along the lake front that’s hardly 5 mins from my home.

It’s just been 6 months for me in Canada but I have enjoyed every bit of it, right from the struggle of getting a relevant job to appearing & reappearing for my driving tests, making new friends (from different nationalities) to shoveling snow from the walkway around my house. I do miss my family and friends a lot but then life is all about give and take, I prefer this life over the one back in India where I have my family and friends but hardly had any time to spend with them or with myself.

Hope you are happy now grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jesusbaby01: 5:08pm On Nov 27, 2019
Richness1104:
Hello people,

I plan to arrive in Edmonton in February. Can someone please assist with ifc material for my banking career?

Someone asked that we contact him but i have forgotten the moniker now.

Send me an Email. I have the book and calculator. might go for a token tho. I registered for the exam and never got to write it. Let me know. I'm in
Edmonton by the way and can ship it to you anywhere you are within the city.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by GozyNA: 5:29pm On Nov 27, 2019
Winter is on its way to Calgary. Get ready!

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Sanchick: 5:37pm On Nov 27, 2019
Holarh:
Hello everyone,

Please I need suggestions for cable plans in Calgary.

Thanks.
Do you mean for Tv? I can hook you up if interested
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by COPR2020: 6:00pm On Nov 27, 2019
jesusbaby01:

Send me an Email. I have the book and calculator. might go for a token tho. I registered for the exam and never got to write it. Let me know. I'm in
Edmonton by the way and can ship it to you anywhere you are within the city.

Thanks

If i may ask, why didnt you write it?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Kaycee54321(m): 10:14pm On Nov 27, 2019
GozyNA:

Orderliness.

cool

If na Lagos, people will even want to park Ontop of another person's car.

14 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Adunnee: 11:07pm On Nov 27, 2019
Please who can assist with study materials for NKE (CPHR Alberta National Knowledge Exam)?

Thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Blackbuddy: 12:18am On Nov 28, 2019
Lots of folks have reached out about how to find rented accomodation so in addition to Airbnb, kijiji.ca and Facebook market place, you can find rental accomodation at these sites:

4rent.ca
Gottarent.com
Torontorentals.com
Viewit.ca
Realtor.ca
Rentfaster.ca
Zolo.ca
Padmapper.com
Zumper.com
Trovit.ca

Happy searching smiley

63 Likes 69 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by JobsInIT: 12:35am On Nov 28, 2019
Basement apartment for rent in GTA. Pls dm me for details.

Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Villagegirl: 1:18am On Nov 28, 2019
19CannyMum:

Lol all I saw here is 6 figure range. Every other thing blurred once I saw that grin

As in, I been wan ask if na CAD or NGN because [s]Nigerians and conversion na 5 and 6. And if CAD which job?[/s]

But as a new Canadian I'm learning to mind my business.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by hayor2014(m): 3:38am On Nov 28, 2019
Richness1104

I could send the soft copy to you free.... you could send me a mail to state your interest......a@yahoo.com
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by mumayo: 4:07am On Nov 28, 2019
Collintos:

Hi all,
I have sent you a PM. please check your mail.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Claire18: 6:14am On Nov 28, 2019
Calgary....-13 , feels like -23

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Pwinkle1(f): 6:42am On Nov 28, 2019
Hello Canadians, please I really need some help. My Wes has been at verification stage for a while now and Unilag is taking their time. Please does anyone have a contact thay have used to fast track the verification process? Please help a sister!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Collintos: 11:07am On Nov 28, 2019
abbey4christ:
Oh yes i am grin grin

grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by lynniebabes(f): 2:53pm On Nov 28, 2019
Hello house thinking of moving to Edmonton or Calgary for a short while I’m in my late twenties, I live in Lagos, I love fun cities. Please btw this two cities which is better? Please answer me

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Villagegirl: 5:37pm On Nov 28, 2019
lynniebabes:
Hello house thinking of moving to Edmonton or Calgary for a short while I’m in my late twenties, I live in Lagos, I love fun cities. Please btw this two cities which is better? Please answer me

You're in your 20's if you have no mighty responsibilities, explore both cities for yourself. You can take up a part-time or daily job to pay off your expenses. Rent a cheap airbnb in the heart of town and discover what both cities have to offer.

If you have responsibilities like a growing family...make a decision, stick to it and try it out for a year or two. By then you'd have enough Canadian experience and maybe some savings to be able to transit to another job in a new city.

Canada is YOURS TO DISCOVER!

20 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by carternkem(m): 6:09pm On Nov 28, 2019
Villagegirl:

You're in your 20's if you have no mighty responsibilities, explore both cities for yourself. You can take up a part-time or daily job to pay off your expenses. Rent a cheap airbnb in the heart of town and discover what both cities have to offer.

If you have responsibilities like a growing family...make a decision, stick to it and try it out for a year or two. By then you'd have enough Canadian experience and maybe some savings to be able to transit to another job in a new city.

This is encouraging, thanks

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Lateef91(m): 6:10pm On Nov 28, 2019
Hello,

i am planning of going to Canada for work (IT Expert), pls what is the cost of relocating to Canada.

i am a family man but i am going alone first before moving my family, i need your support on how to go about it. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by QueenJoeffrey: 6:10pm On Nov 28, 2019
Please once you have your PR , can you visit Montreal or you are not allowed to go there at all??

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Afiahomes(m): 6:11pm On Nov 28, 2019
QueenJoeffrey:
Please once you have your PR , can you visit Montreal or you are not allowed to go there at all??
why not? you can cool
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by COPR2020: 6:44pm On Nov 28, 2019
Lateef91:
Hello,

i am planning of going to Canada for work (IT Expert), pls what is the cost of relocating to Canada.

i am a family man but i am going alone first before moving my family, i need your support on how to go about it. Thank you.

Visit this page, it will take you to Canada

https://www.nairaland.com/5471101/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled/170

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by abbey4christ(m): 6:58pm On Nov 28, 2019
Canada Straight grin grin
COPR2020:

Visit this page, it will take you to Canada

https://www.nairaland.com/5471101/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled/170

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by gsade: 7:15pm On Nov 28, 2019
Collintos:

Hi all,

Hi Colintos, please would like to know the type of IT course you did. I have sent you a PM. Can you please reply. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Funky123(f): 7:50pm On Nov 28, 2019
GozyNA:
Have been reading to see one pix to just feed my eyes......One day Dreamland is gonna become a real home

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Fortissimo502: 9:24pm On Nov 28, 2019
Villagegirl:

Nope! Only Ontario is. cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Villagegirl: 11:23pm On Nov 28, 2019
Fortissimo502:

Nope! Only Ontario is. cheesy

Sweetheart, the whole world is yours to discover.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 11:48pm On Nov 28, 2019
Villagegirl:

As in, I been wan ask if na CAD or NGN because [s]Nigerians and conversion na 5 and 6. And if CAD which job?[/s]

But as a new Canadian I'm learning to mind my business.

My dear people earn 6 figure in this Canada o. Annual sha.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jbelieve: 1:58am On Nov 29, 2019
Onetwo77:
XE or Monzo. I check for the best exchange rate. Sometimes, good to transfer naira to GBP then CAD. Rather than naira to CAD straight

Hi if you come with usd how do you change it?

(1) (2) (3) ... (253) (254) (255) (256) (257) (258) (259) ... (713) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.