Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,397 members, 7,815,867 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:46 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (254) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2188564 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (251) (252) (253) (254) (255) (256) (257) ... (713) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by u3fine(m): 12:02pm On Nov 23, 2019
MumofTwins2017:
On a lighter note... i remember back in the days, if you write JAMB once you wouldn’t have ‘bragging’ rights compared to one who wrote so many times before getting admission into the University grin I remember how happy I would be when I wasn’t called out for being an ajebo who wrote once.. ‘how ignorant we were’

It was recently i began to understand that having a ‘gap’ in one’s personal history is nothing to brag about. Your supposed to be moving to another level at every stage.

I love this quote

12 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Adeniyitob: 12:34pm On Nov 23, 2019
Let him or her continue posting all the cons about Canada....

It depends on how each person sees the cup - whether half-full or half- empty....

ChiefVal:

Dude or Sis, Please stop.

22 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Kaycee54321(m): 2:43pm On Nov 23, 2019
Someone wrote an essay about the cons of migrating to Canada

cheesy

Come to Nigeria. You will write a full blown thesis and still be looking for space to vent.

40 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Kemi4me: 3:00pm On Nov 23, 2019
Collintos:
By Jimmy

It may not be self-evident there is a lot of articles but only few can help foreign seekers to make informed decisions. Most people are giving incomplete information, bits and pieces. It’s of no tangible help. It’s like leading the reader into the jungle of unreliable information (lot of bushes), who is then hopelessly confused and lost. Of course, someone can’t rely upon an amateur on a particular subject matter to supply a professional recommendation.

Hold up! Please do not hastily sell or dispose your mansion, land, machinery, equipment, tools, sentimental items and other assets. Do not relinquish your secured, decent job (even though it may be less than perfect- there is no absolutely perfect job!), cherished long term friendships and other relationships. Before doing that, please ensure you read this piece of writing along with the other pieces. It’s totally free life-saving gems of info.

Now, I’ll give only three (3) salient reasons that are more than enough to convince someone not even to contemplate moving to Canada, unless these don’t matter to you:

(1) Lack of decent paying jobs: If one should decide on only one reason, this is it! How would one survive on low income to pay ever increasing rent or high mortgage (expensive house/condo price), along with other subsistence expenses. Cost of living is rapidly going up and up and up. No wonder there is a high number of Canadians with mountains of debts.

“Drowning in debt, freaked out Canadians…”

Drowning in debt, freaked out Canadians brace for a reckoning - BNN Bloomberg

Even a low paying job is a huge challenge to get, much less a high paying one. Oh no, please don’t take on a factory job. Factory labor jobs are the worst of the worst. It’s literal slavery! At one time, I decided to experiment with a side/part time factory labor job as a way to supplement my income. Big mistake! No sooner had I worked only 3 hours than I had to walk off that job! I didn’t even bother to uplift my income payment for the 3 hours of work. So, I generously gave free labor.

Even for the low income jobs one has to pass additional tests like “online aptitude, personality and skills”; basic knowledge on English and Mathematics; computer literacy; job-specific and other tests, depending on the requirements and whether one is hired directly by employer or by an employment agency (which usually required vigorous testing and is unreasonably complicated). There seems to be more employment agencies than employers! - That’s a hyperbole.

So, in order to secure a job, one has to pass a combination of these tests, apart from the job interview. The majority of job candidates share the view that online tests are garbage and an absolute waste of precious time! Many highly qualified candidates are ruled out because of these so-called screening tests!

“Most Canadians are unhappy with their salaries, survey finds”

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business...

(2) Sky high expensive accommodation: The huge influx of immigrants bought up the available housing units, thereby creating a chronic shortage in housing. Hurray! For housing developers! These are very happy people. Also investors are buying up the houses and condos, so that they can benefit from the ongoing increase in prices.

The quality of many apartment buildings is shameful. These so-called residential dwellings are plagued with roaches, mice, bedbugs, unhygienic, congestion, little or no ventilation, lack of proper heating for the cold weather, lack of air conditioning for the summer hot humid temperatures and for pumping air through the living unit, lack of sound proof structure (so the sounds of neighbors and door slams wouldn’t wake one up- sleep is vitally important!). Wouldn’t one wonder if this is indeed a developed nation?

Landlords kept raising the rent often and wouldn’t take heed to your complaints. They usually demand their “fat rent” at the beginning of the month, or else failure of paying will see one being kicked out in about 30 days. This is an acid test of true Canadian hospitality, generosity and kindness! This country is run on pure greed! Spaces are limited /congested in apartment buildings and old houses. Even some new houses and condos, the developers are stingy in giving adequate spaces! This mean-spirited attitude is ingrained in Canadian culture.

“Renters in Canada face a number of hurdles. Finding a place, for one, is often a struggle in itself.”

There’s a lifestyle penalty for renting in Canada — it doesn’t have to be so

(3) Canada is dead, socially, emotionally and romantically! However, there are exceptions, for example, Montreal is better than Vancouver, Ottawa and Toronto, in this context. Canadian culture is boring to death. It’s an oppressive and depressing country! Too many rules to keep the population in psychological slavery. Canadians are living in fear.

It’s a mediocre society. It’s cold-hearted. There’s no zest. No liveliness. It lacks inspiration. It’s demotivating. It kills one’s dream/ambition. It’s a country of complications and contradictions. One has to live here to experience it. As the saying goes, “Who feels it, knows it.”

Culture is a very important concept that peeps have to learn but sadly overlook, particularly when migrating to a new country. It’s like neck to neck with the economic factor. It’s a very powerful force, like a monster with good and bad features. Even with loads of money, would one be happy living in a cold, grossly boring culture like this one?

Unfortunately, for the Canadian culture, I can hardly think of any pros, and even if there are, they will be outweighed by the cons. Cons include, antisocial, unfriendly (do not talk with strangers), rude, unkind, stingy, uncaring, unloving, unhelpful, unforgiving, unmerciful, intolerant, racial, discriminatory, backstabbing, pretentious, selfish, narcissistic, proud, snobbish, rip-off, materialistic, etc. Huff! What a boring, depressing list. It’s a highly toxic and contagious culture!

A few pros that stand out are welcoming new immigrants into “slavery” to work in extremely hard low paying jobs; silence, where peeps do not talk much with each other, everywhere is full of it, from coast to coast; polite when it has to be selling, customer service or public service. However, even the so-called politeness of Canadian culture is fake. If someone can’t hold a friendly conversation with another, then that is proof that the politeness is not really “polite” at all in the first place. It doesn’t come genuinely from the heart. Even some foreigners are now realizing that Canadian smiles are fake! It’s like “fake it until you make it” kind of thing.

Sometimes one has to run or fly in order to win, if one can’t beat a monster! Like many other born Canadians who settled in other countries, I also have been living outside of Canada. Of course, I’m so ecstatic that I’ve made one of the most vital life-changing decisions ever!

There are a lot of other deficiencies, some of which can be found on my Quora profile. However, if lack of decent paying jobs, chronic shortage of housing, which is super expensive (renting and buying) along with the fact that Canada is dead, socially, emotionally and romantically, there is no incentive to live in Canada at all. Period! Full stop!

Well, if you still can’t accept or believe this piece of information, I challenge any foreigner to live in the largest city by population in Canada, Toronto, which is widely said to be culturally diverse and which is supposed to be a “most developed” city, according to United Nations reports and other similar reports, or alternatively any other English Canadian city, for only six (6) months or as long as you please, before bringing your entire family!

Beware! You have been warned! Ignore this info at your own risk!

Jimmy

Post Script:

Some possible reasons for foreigners habitually and continuously thinking that Canada is a perfect country:

Perhaps because of pride, shame and other reasons, immigrants do not tell their relatives, friends and associates in their original country, "I’m failing in Canada! I need help!" …Human nature.
Because the freedom of the Canadian news media is highly regulated and suppressed, “certain information” on Canadian society and life would seldom make world headline news…Oppressive, secretive society.
The internet is replete with sarcastic lists of reasons like, “12 reasons NOT to go to Canada,” on websites which are actually promoting Canada for tourism and other reasons. Also, this is a way of promoting that Canadians do have a sense of humor by being sarcastic, but living in Canada will easily prove otherwise. Nice try! Don’t fall for it. Of course, Canadian nature is most definitely beautiful. There are literally a great number of sites and immigration consultants advertising reasons to visit, to study in and to live in Canada…Half-truths peddlers for commercial benefits.
Employers who want cheap labor.
Getting carried away by sugar-coated, politically correct articles and comments on the internet. They get foreigners confused as to what is true and what's not…People with their “own agenda.”
Humans can be logically confusing creatures, with everyone sharing various viewpoints on a particular topic but not everyone would score a “10” on a scale of 1-10, with also only a small percentage who tells the full truth.

Whose information do you prefer to trust? –

A) A professional who studied social science for many years, studied human behavior, lived in the country, presenting logical info for whatever topic is in focus, or

B) Residents/non-residents/immigration consultants who in most cases nonchalantly wrote up things as they came to their mind?

Oh Mehn this guy is too raw. easy bro shocked shocked shocked

All this comment no worry me, i don land since 8 months now,got one small work dey manage and not boring to me..i dey chat on Plenty of Fish (POF) and babe full there and weekend by weekend i dey enjoy myself with free sex to cool the system ,i no need any serious relationship for now na way l dey catch my fun for Lagos and l dey go event some weekend for Toronto with some friends l don make here and at my work place i do my work and go home ..hate or love me l no care so far l get paid for my work and l can pay my bills ,run my uber to my extra cash if time dey,smoke my weeds good it legal here ...i dey enjoy myself....i think the main issue is people come to Canada with too much expectation and get disappointed

36 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by oluayebenz: 4:12pm On Nov 23, 2019
Kemi4me:

All this comment no worry me, i don land since 8 months now,got one small work dey manage and not boring to me..i dey chat on Plenty of Fish (POF) and babe full there and weekend by weekend i dey enjoy myself with free sex to cool the system ,i no need any serious relationship for now na way l dey catch my fun for Lagos and l dey go event some weekend for Toronto with some friends l don make here and at my work place i do my work and go home ..hate or love me l no care so far l get paid for my work and l can pay my bills ,run my uber to my extra cash if time dey,smoke my weeds good it legal here ...i dey enjoy myself....i think the main issue is people come to Canada with too much expectation and get disappointed

Your net dey always catch fishes grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by DexterousOne(m): 6:13pm On Nov 23, 2019
Kemi4me:

Truth
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jbelieve: 6:39pm On Nov 23, 2019
esterella:

@ the bolded!!!...you nailed it with precision..

But that's not different from what happens in Nigeria. To me everyone is busy with life till something brings us together again.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by dfanz: 6:45pm On Nov 23, 2019

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jbelieve: 9:27pm On Nov 23, 2019
Hi all, little help needed. I'm arriving next Thursday will be staying in Brampton. Looking to work in Toronto.

I'm in the real estate sector. Bsc real estate management, MSC construction project management. Have experience in project management more than 2 year. And little experience in estate management. I'm PRINCE2 Certified.

I looking for roles in real estate investment, finance or advisory.

I've done my homework gotten my resume and cover letter in Canadian style. Started applying to job posting but no response yet. I'm networking on LinkedIn, it's not yet profitable. Please how do I go about this LinkedIn thing?

If you have any suggestions, opening or advise I'm open to them. Thank you.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 10:24pm On Nov 23, 2019
MumofTwins2017:
On a lighter note... i remember back in the days, if you write JAMB once you wouldn’t have ‘bragging’ rights compared to one who wrote so many times before getting admission into the University grin I remember how happy I would be when I wasn’t called out for being an ajebo who wrote once.. ‘how ignorant we were’

It was recently i began to understand that having a ‘gap’ in one’s personal history is nothing to brag about. Your supposed to be moving to another level at every stage.

@ bolded, As true as this may sound, it's quit unfortunate life is not configured to work that way. The earlier you are ready to embrace life the way it is the better. No wonder we have cases of suicide on the increase now when certain expectations are not actualized. Oddities and unpleasant experience makes life a meaningful one, be ready for it. How would u appreciate light if you have never experience darkness..

What happens to the addage "the rich also cry" . Just that what makes each people cry is always different. No one and I repeat in the holistic can ever boast of having every of his or her need met as at when due.

Life screw us all at each point in time.

Sometimes we win and sometimes we loose,
Sometimes we sing a victorious song and sometimes our voices are silenced in defeat,
Sometimes it makes us king and sometimes it brings our ego down.
Ups and down, black and white is the color of life.
Do not be too happy when u win and do not be too sad when u loose.

Be brave, be tough and beat the mountain in the buff.

This is the anthem of those who are resilient and ready to make something outta life no matter how tough.

I rest my case

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Boss13: 10:56pm On Nov 23, 2019
iPopAlomo:

To be honest, it's not wanting my kids to be like me...

The Canadian culture is very very ALOOF... Younger me wanted to be British... Damn the rest of world... Older me, I now understand culture better...

Everyone is saying they want Canadian kids... Yet... Get invited to a prayer meeting in this same Canada and see parents praying the Nigerian way and the children are looking completely lost...

This are things the environment teaches... It takes more than parents to raise a child... The environment also contributes...

My reason for leaving Nigeria is very different from every other person...

The same people saying let's leave our children here at some point will go back home... And now whether I like it or not... For better or worse... Nigeria is home

I also belonged in the school of thought... If I die here (Canada)... I'll just get buried here... It took me a long while... But Nigeria is home...

And the way I'll raise my kids is to be able to switch being Nigerian and International seamlessly without the culture shock...

Very well said.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by zohan101: 11:23pm On Nov 23, 2019
Loloololzz

Canada is heaven compared to 3rd world african countries..

Collintos:
By Jimmy

It may not be self-evident there is a lot of articles but only few can help foreign seekers to make informed decisions. Most people are giving incomplete information, bits and pieces. It’s of no tangible help. It’s like leading the reader into the jungle of unreliable information (lot of bushes), who is then hopelessly confused and lost. Of course, someone can’t rely upon an amateur on a particular subject matter to supply a professional recommendation.

Hold up! Please do not hastily sell or dispose your mansion, land, machinery, equipment, tools, sentimental items and other assets. Do not relinquish your secured, decent job (even though it may be less than perfect- there is no absolutely perfect job!), cherished long term friendships and other relationships. Before doing that, please ensure you read this piece of writing along with the other pieces. It’s totally free life-saving gems of info.

Now, I’ll give only three (3) salient reasons that are more than enough to convince someone not even to contemplate moving to Canada, unless these don’t matter to you:

(1) Lack of decent paying jobs: If one should decide on only one reason, this is it! How would one survive on low income to pay ever increasing rent or high mortgage (expensive house/condo price), along with other subsistence expenses. Cost of living is rapidly going up and up and up. No wonder there is a high number of Canadians with mountains of debts.

“Drowning in debt, freaked out Canadians…”

Drowning in debt, freaked out Canadians brace for a reckoning - BNN Bloomberg

Even a low paying job is a huge challenge to get, much less a high paying one. Oh no, please don’t take on a factory job. Factory labor jobs are the worst of the worst. It’s literal slavery! At one time, I decided to experiment with a side/part time factory labor job as a way to supplement my income. Big mistake! No sooner had I worked only 3 hours than I had to walk off that job! I didn’t even bother to uplift my income payment for the 3 hours of work. So, I generously gave free labor.

Even for the low income jobs one has to pass additional tests like “online aptitude, personality and skills”; basic knowledge on English and Mathematics; computer literacy; job-specific and other tests, depending on the requirements and whether one is hired directly by employer or by an employment agency (which usually required vigorous testing and is unreasonably complicated). There seems to be more employment agencies than employers! - That’s a hyperbole.

So, in order to secure a job, one has to pass a combination of these tests, apart from the job interview. The majority of job candidates share the view that online tests are garbage and an absolute waste of precious time! Many highly qualified candidates are ruled out because of these so-called screening tests!

“Most Canadians are unhappy with their salaries, survey finds”

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business...

(2) Sky high expensive accommodation: The huge influx of immigrants bought up the available housing units, thereby creating a chronic shortage in housing. Hurray! For housing developers! These are very happy people. Also investors are buying up the houses and condos, so that they can benefit from the ongoing increase in prices.

The quality of many apartment buildings is shameful. These so-called residential dwellings are plagued with roaches, mice, bedbugs, unhygienic, congestion, little or no ventilation, lack of proper heating for the cold weather, lack of air conditioning for the summer hot humid temperatures and for pumping air through the living unit, lack of sound proof structure (so the sounds of neighbors and door slams wouldn’t wake one up- sleep is vitally important!). Wouldn’t one wonder if this is indeed a developed nation?

Landlords kept raising the rent often and wouldn’t take heed to your complaints. They usually demand their “fat rent” at the beginning of the month, or else failure of paying will see one being kicked out in about 30 days. This is an acid test of true Canadian hospitality, generosity and kindness! This country is run on pure greed! Spaces are limited /congested in apartment buildings and old houses. Even some new houses and condos, the developers are stingy in giving adequate spaces! This mean-spirited attitude is ingrained in Canadian culture.

“Renters in Canada face a number of hurdles. Finding a place, for one, is often a struggle in itself.”

There’s a lifestyle penalty for renting in Canada — it doesn’t have to be so

(3) Canada is dead, socially, emotionally and romantically! However, there are exceptions, for example, Montreal is better than Vancouver, Ottawa and Toronto, in this context. Canadian culture is boring to death. It’s an oppressive and depressing country! Too many rules to keep the population in psychological slavery. Canadians are living in fear.

It’s a mediocre society. It’s cold-hearted. There’s no zest. No liveliness. It lacks inspiration. It’s demotivating. It kills one’s dream/ambition. It’s a country of complications and contradictions. One has to live here to experience it. As the saying goes, “Who feels it, knows it.”

Culture is a very important concept that peeps have to learn but sadly overlook, particularly when migrating to a new country. It’s like neck to neck with the economic factor. It’s a very powerful force, like a monster with good and bad features. Even with loads of money, would one be happy living in a cold, grossly boring culture like this one?

Unfortunately, for the Canadian culture, I can hardly think of any pros, and even if there are, they will be outweighed by the cons. Cons include, antisocial, unfriendly (do not talk with strangers), rude, unkind, stingy, uncaring, unloving, unhelpful, unforgiving, unmerciful, intolerant, racial, discriminatory, backstabbing, pretentious, selfish, narcissistic, proud, snobbish, rip-off, materialistic, etc. Huff! What a boring, depressing list. It’s a highly toxic and contagious culture!

A few pros that stand out are welcoming new immigrants into “slavery” to work in extremely hard low paying jobs; silence, where peeps do not talk much with each other, everywhere is full of it, from coast to coast; polite when it has to be selling, customer service or public service. However, even the so-called politeness of Canadian culture is fake. If someone can’t hold a friendly conversation with another, then that is proof that the politeness is not really “polite” at all in the first place. It doesn’t come genuinely from the heart. Even some foreigners are now realizing that Canadian smiles are fake! It’s like “fake it until you make it” kind of thing.

Sometimes one has to run or fly in order to win, if one can’t beat a monster! Like many other born Canadians who settled in other countries, I also have been living outside of Canada. Of course, I’m so ecstatic that I’ve made one of the most vital life-changing decisions ever!

There are a lot of other deficiencies, some of which can be found on my Quora profile. However, if lack of decent paying jobs, chronic shortage of housing, which is super expensive (renting and buying) along with the fact that Canada is dead, socially, emotionally and romantically, there is no incentive to live in Canada at all. Period! Full stop!

Well, if you still can’t accept or believe this piece of information, I challenge any foreigner to live in the largest city by population in Canada, Toronto, which is widely said to be culturally diverse and which is supposed to be a “most developed” city, according to United Nations reports and other similar reports, or alternatively any other English Canadian city, for only six (6) months or as long as you please, before bringing your entire family!

Beware! You have been warned! Ignore this info at your own risk!

Jimmy

Post Script:

Some possible reasons for foreigners habitually and continuously thinking that Canada is a perfect country:

Perhaps because of pride, shame and other reasons, immigrants do not tell their relatives, friends and associates in their original country, "I’m failing in Canada! I need help!" …Human nature.
Because the freedom of the Canadian news media is highly regulated and suppressed, “certain information” on Canadian society and life would seldom make world headline news…Oppressive, secretive society.
The internet is replete with sarcastic lists of reasons like, “12 reasons NOT to go to Canada,” on websites which are actually promoting Canada for tourism and other reasons. Also, this is a way of promoting that Canadians do have a sense of humor by being sarcastic, but living in Canada will easily prove otherwise. Nice try! Don’t fall for it. Of course, Canadian nature is most definitely beautiful. There are literally a great number of sites and immigration consultants advertising reasons to visit, to study in and to live in Canada…Half-truths peddlers for commercial benefits.
Employers who want cheap labor.
Getting carried away by sugar-coated, politically correct articles and comments on the internet. They get foreigners confused as to what is true and what's not…People with their “own agenda.”
Humans can be logically confusing creatures, with everyone sharing various viewpoints on a particular topic but not everyone would score a “10” on a scale of 1-10, with also only a small percentage who tells the full truth.

Whose information do you prefer to trust? –

A) A professional who studied social science for many years, studied human behavior, lived in the country, presenting logical info for whatever topic is in focus, or

B) Residents/non-residents/immigration consultants who in most cases nonchalantly wrote up things as they came to their mind?

Oh Mehn this guy is too raw. easy bro shocked shocked shocked

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Holarh: 12:31am On Nov 24, 2019
Hello everyone,

Please I need suggestions for cable plans in Calgary.

Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by onispark: 1:05am On Nov 24, 2019
dfanz:
Roommate wanted.

Any single lady already in Calgary or landing Dec/Jan looking to share 2 bedroom apartment. Lease is to start from Jan with early move-in from Dec 13 negotiable.

Interested. How do I contact you?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by onispark: 1:49am On Nov 24, 2019
GirlieNtosh:
Anybody interested in a brand new furnished 1 bedroom basement in NW Calgary?

N.B Short-term only

Interested
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by esterella: 2:05am On Nov 24, 2019
Jbelieve:

But that's not different from what happens in Nigeria. To me everyone is busy with life till something brings us together again.

I get you, Its similar but still very different in some way to what obtains in Nigeria...you'll probably understand einsteino's perspective better when you've been in the system (Canada) for a while.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by esterella: 3:35am On Nov 24, 2019
Holarh:
Hello everyone,

Please I need suggestions for cable plans in Calgary.

Thanks.

There are a couple of cable options available in Calgary. It'll also depend on what kind of household 'audience' you have and their unique entertainment needs. I can connect you with a suitable plan if those details are clarified.

You can send me a PM and we'll take it from there!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by mjbaba99: 8:54am On Nov 24, 2019
Hi guys, an anonymous friend got his Nigerian passport seized for overstaying in the U.S and was giving a court date next year. he's now thinking of going to Canada but wants to know if this is a good idea. Please all your ideas and thought are welcome.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Industrialist: 10:14am On Nov 24, 2019
Newmum0615:
Me that has seen -21°?
18° is a huge blessing! My son and I are at the playground in shorts. So yes 18° is warm for me by all standards. The highest we had in months. You'll be fine. Don't worry. I am not sure you hate cold more than me.

Hi Newmum0615 I sent you a DM. Kindly respond. Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by LordSneed: 10:52am On Nov 24, 2019
Hey! I am looking to land in Edmonton sometime in January. Sent you a DM request
jassymama:
Three (3) bedroom apartment to be available(January)in the mature upscale neighborhood of Blue Quill, Edmonton.

The apartment is a 9 mins walk to the Century Park LRT station and has very close bus stop access.

There is a catholic school and a public school within a 700m distance. Other attractions include - 2 daycares, shopping mall, a clinic, 2 dental clinics, a pharmacy, many restaurants, 2 convenience stores and 2 gas stations are within 200m of the house.

The rent is holy and contains water and heating. The apartment has stainless steel appliances and nice neighbors ✌�
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Everygirl: 12:14pm On Nov 24, 2019
Babateemd:
Male or female?

Female

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Everygirl: 12:24pm On Nov 24, 2019
onispark:

Interested. How do I contact you?

You people should just get a 3 bed so I can join you beginning of March �

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by DexterousOne(m): 1:35pm On Nov 24, 2019
zohan101:

Loloololzz

Canada is heaven compared to 3rd world african countries..

Truth

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by einsteino(m): 1:41pm On Nov 24, 2019
Jbelieve:

I believe there are not a few times I am wrong on my perspective of things but I doubt this is one of them. Anyways, there are many folks here that have lived in canada longer than I have, so I would like them to say if I am right on this or not. I would explain in detail what I have observed here, so they can criticize it, even if it means they nitpicking it.

In naija, people don't go out of their way to be friendly or polite. So, it is easier to read your colleagues/seniors in naija than here. If someone always smiles or interacts with you at work in naija, they are not merely doing it because you are colleagues. It would be because y'all get along or they are sycophants seeking your(their superior) attention. Over here, smiling, or someone always indulging you in conversations about their entire life is just for courtesy and a good chat. As a result, when you use your naija lens, you'd misconstrue the depth of your association and think you can relate or confide in them as you do with naija colleagues that became lifelong friends. However, from experience you would learn that most of those associations are just for as long as you work together.

It is true, naija ex-colleagues often may not stay in touch, but this is different from forgetting your existence. Like you said, it is because they are busy and maybe out of mind is naturally out of sight... not because they see no need to or you no more work together! So, you would find that you can literally call an old colleague of yours in naija that you haven't spoken with in a year and you'd very likely get a warm response like: "Longest time bro! You just forget me o! How every na? I happy to hear from you o". Try it here with most folks you were good friends with at work a few months ago, and it can easily seem like you are trespassing if it goes beyond formal stuff like reference request. What is funny is that even they(canadians) complain about this and yet do nothing to change it. In general, people here relate differently.

I think it is just a difference in culture. For example, people are so polite here that it is very easy to misinterprete them. In naija, an order is "Go and do this"(with strong face), here it is "Would you like to do this? Please." grin Inshort there have been times I replied No thinking na question them they ask me. Also when you are slipping, in naija you would get an open confrontation from your boss that would clearly show his/her displeasure and exactly where you messed up. Here you would get intermittent smiles till a query rolls in; or a very warm and short conversation with your supervisor that has you thinking it isn't a serious matter. Friendly colleagues here would go to your supervisor to report you over things naija colleagues(that arent close to you) would have brought to your attention. We neva talk about your friendly neighbour wey go report you for small thing like parking your car overnight on the street grin

I think they avoid confrontations here and view bluntness as being rude so they talk and act in circles, leaving you ignorant of their feelings until your cup gets filled.

60 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by alt3r3g0: 2:44pm On Nov 24, 2019
Influential101:
hmmm, all these recent posts here.. We refuse to be discouraged embarassed embarassed

Me and my family will excel in Canada ! They shall be no better yesterday for us, Amen. We'll take on the challenges and excel exceedingly, Amen

I will come back and quote this message in testimony, some time in the near future smiley smiley

I agree with you. There is power in the spoken word with faith. The world was created by the spoken word and we can speak into our future.

This has worked times without number for my family. Let me share the most recent testimony here.

My wife had planned to start working in October and so by september, we started looking for a dayhome. So when we'd talk to friends that we need a dayhome by october as my wife will be working by then, they'll say congrats! Which company? then we'd say none yet, but we believe. Some have this look, some will say we like your faith but we just kept believing.

Come october, we started dropping little one in dayhome (even though not one interview yet), and 2 weeks into it, a company who had sent a regret letter a month back without any phone or in person interview, sent an email for an interview. She went and the next day she was given an offer (6 figure range). She resumed in the same october and later found out that every other person does at least two or more interviews with the company, she did just one.

So please keep this up. Looking forward to when you'll share your testimony.

68 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Changeofscene(m): 2:56pm On Nov 24, 2019
Suspectzero:

It's not compulsory to suffer in order to become a good person. If that were the case, Nigeria would be full of good people but look at the state of the Country and you know that is not the case.

I don't know how you'll convince them that their Mom and Dad are over in Canada enjoying life in a developed country but want them to go through the trials and tribulations of living in a failed State just because that's what their parents went through. I hope your thinking evolves as time goes on.

I wouldn't want this for my offspring sending them back to were i escaped from. There are so many things and opportunities that happen in those formative years of teenage-hood that you would miss out on and that Nigeria would not help your kids develop. Could be sports or musical talents or IT programming. Even memories they'll create about High school. They would not be able to relate to other Canadian adults they would inevitably mingle with when they graduate and come back. It's just not right in my view.

Take them back on summer vacations for 3 months at a time, that's enough to appreciate the reality in Nigeria. But not sentencing them to 6 straight years. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Don't mind them,some People are just ignorant or do I say backward in their thoughts.They should come back to naija with their kids for the 6year period na.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Changeofscene(m): 3:01pm On Nov 24, 2019
Kemi4me:

Ooolalala,Omo na man you be.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by maternal: 6:23pm On Nov 24, 2019
mjbaba99:
Hi guys, an anonymous friend got his Nigerian passport seized for overstaying in the U.S and was giving a court date next year. he's now thinking of going to Canada but wants to know if this is a good idea. Please all your ideas and thought are welcome.

Trump got you abi ?

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 6:40pm On Nov 24, 2019
alt3r3g0:

I agree with you. There is power in the spoken word with faith. The world was created by the spoken word and we can speak into our future.

This has worked times without number for my family. Let me share the most recent testimony here.

My wife had planned to start working in October and so by september, we started looking for a dayhome. So when we'd talk to friends that we need a dayhome by october as my wife will be working by then, they'll say congrats! Which company? then we'd say none yet, but we believe. Some have this look, some will say we like your faith but we just kept believing.

Come october, we started dropping little one in dayhome (even though not one interview yet), and 2 weeks into it, a company who had sent a regret letter a month back without any phone or in person interview, sent an email for an interview. She went and the next day she was given an offer (6 figure range). She resumed in the same october and later found out that every other person does at least two or more interviews with the company, she did just one.

So please keep this up. Looking forward to when you'll share your testimony.

Lol all I saw here is 6 figure range. Every other thing blurred once I saw that grin

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by etrange: 7:05pm On Nov 24, 2019
Hhmm....

This sharing of apartment makes sense small o...

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Mizwisdom(f): 8:35pm On Nov 24, 2019
maternal:

How would you feel if your kids died of something, which could have been easily treated in Canada ?

This right here is very low. The man is obviously not a poor fellow who can't afford good medical care for his kids even in Nigeria so why raise the issue of death? if his kids have terminal illness (God forbid) it's pretty certain he won't leave them in Nigeria while he stays abroad, he will want them to be close to him. I don't know why you thought of that scenero but his reaction is predictable if that's the case. You don't need to argue on everything

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by damzy88: 12:20am On Nov 25, 2019
Kemi4me:

Your last sentence summarises everything.

After few months, you even hear Canada is overrated and I am like did CIC promise to give you job or money?

The earlier people realise that Canada is picking the best brains from several developing countries who have to fight it out to get the jobs the better.

Peace!

16 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (251) (252) (253) (254) (255) (256) (257) ... (713) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: Clicked and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.