Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,460 members, 7,816,079 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:58 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (258) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2188918 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (255) (256) (257) (258) (259) (260) (261) ... (713) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by maternal: 4:32pm On Nov 30, 2019
salford1:
What is going on in Alberta? With NDP, it was oilfield workers. Now with UPC, it's government workers losing jobs. I have never really heard of nurses losing jobs since I became an Adult. They would simply move to the USA. It was 90 lawyers yesterday.

It's simply what the CONS do. Destroy everything they touch. They're also doing the same thing in Ontario. Imagine if these incompetent guys won the federal elections. As for the NDP, layoffs were already happening before they came into power.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Melodyy19: 4:34pm On Nov 30, 2019
Your immigrant Visa is a single entry Visa, you can't come back with it.
If it's possible to get someone to send your pr card back to you or bring it to Nigeria for you, then that's an option. But you can't use the immigrant Visa for re entry
Esobabe:
Hello everyone, I want to know if it’s possible to travel to Canada, start my PR process and then come back to Nigeria in January for a relatives wedding as my visa is valid till April. So, can I use my immigrant visa to re-enter into Canada if my PR card isn’t ready by January?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by sleekysoft(m): 9:47pm On Nov 30, 2019
This is the best and the absolute truth.. i am experiencing this right now .

Collintos:
By Golbon

I do not regret moving away from home and experiencing a new life.

But I do regret choosing Canada over Europe (I did have the choice).

Here are a few things I am sure the responses, especially the ones from those who have ‘just’ moved here and likely wrote the comments in their ‘high’ of traveling do not cover.

1 - The cold is deadly - and no one wants to admit it.

2 - It is cold not only outside, Canadians like to burn extra fuel on airconditioning and to freeze their indoor areas too, both in summer and winter (and yes there are only two seasons in Canada). There is not one day all year around when you can do your errands without having to carry a jacket or, ever thinking of wearing a skirt like I like to do - because the moment you step inside buildings it’s FREEZING (unless you are exercising). Although, I must say people do not dress to the weather, and if you have an issue with the cold, you will be always objectified ‘omg! your wearing too much! are you cold?’

Look, winters are 8 months long here (Edit: when I say winter, I mean so long I need to wear knits, jackets, tooks and boots, if you go out with shorts in 10 degrees good for you, anything below 12 is winter to me and most people from mild climates). for at least 3 months, it’s below -15 (Edit: if anyone doubts this, they can track the weather and average temperature in various provinces, make sure you look at the ‘real feel’ value too. Unless you are in Windsor Ontario or BC, this is what it is, if not worse). You need a car. You need a really good home with proper heating, and still your social life is brought to minimum during those months. Now, let’s see what happens when you are a broke student who lives in the burbs and cannot even dream of having a car. I live downtown and it’s 15 min walk to my school (nice eh?) when it’s -40, I do mind having to walk 15 mins.

3 - It is super expensive. Rent goes up ridiculously every year. You could look it up if you wished, but I am half-certain hat Canadians pay the highest price for phone and internet services in the developed world. Other expenses are high too, compared to many countries - and it’s not like you get a top quality life for the expensive things you spend money on. I am talking about a single person who cooks their own meals, does not even drink and, does not spare money on anything other than necessities.

4 - Public transportation SUCKS BALLS. I know most people around the world like to talk about how punctual buses are in Canada because if they do not pick people up in a timely manner people could freeze. That’s an utter lie. And on top of that, the reach each of each city’s transportation system is very weak. Unless you live in the downtown area (which makes it easier just to walk or bike rather than having to wait for irregular buses for unknown periods of time) chances are you will have to spend 2+ hrs on transportation every day just to get to where you work or you go to school. Most of the cities do not have metro (subway) and again when they do, the beauty of it is only when you are in close distances to the core downtown. Otherwise metro will never get you to the inner cities, and you will have to switch to subsidiary buses that…again will get you to wait…and wait…and wait. Intercity transport is also awful, a monopoly and, expensive. I do not know if there are any countries left around the world wish such disconnected transport system - especially given how far apart everything is in North America.

Never mind internal flight prices. I don’t want to even start writing about Air Canada.

5 - Relationships are overrated, and talking about the ‘physiological need for sex’ is the centerpiece of reasoning for inquiring one. The dating scene is an absolute bogus mess, which comes down to women chasing men, hopes of sharing the rent, or otherwise being pointed at as ‘not getting enough sex’ and ‘not having a man’ ( sometimes I wonder if it is the 1800s and the age of getting wedded is 16). People move-in in a matter of days of knowing each other and move-out in a matter of a couple of months. By late 20s, anyone you meet has been through divorce(s) or separation(s), likely has kids, usually still ‘hangs out’ with their exes (you are likely to learn about the grisly truth only after you have invested yourself emotionally in an unworthy narcissist too hard). Every one you meet is bitter and cunning, only looking for another partner to suit their economic imbalances. People put up with cheating partners very often, and internalizing these standards, at least when you are super lonely, comes next. You’ll be surprised.

(I generally would not suggest a single person who is interested in dating to come here. If I ever do recommend Canada it’s to couples. If you have kids you will get to raise them in safe, ugly neighborhoods where they never play on the streets - I don’t know why? It’s safe, it’s super flat and begs for two gates and a soccer ball or hockey puck- and you will have to dump thousands and thousands of dollars on their daycare). I will not get into the cost of primary education. Not here.

Please could these be true at seniors in the house shocked shocked shocked shocked undecided undecided undecided lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Onetwo77: 11:02am On Dec 01, 2019
Jbelieve:

Hi if you come with usd how do you change it?

You can change it at the bank
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jbelieve: 11:53am On Dec 01, 2019
Onetwo77:

You can change it at the bank

Ok thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by alt3r3g0: 2:49pm On Dec 01, 2019
Influential101:
But you don't know what field OP's wife is in and how many years experience & qualifications she had from home..

The fact is we know people with the same and even better qualifications than my wife who are still searching.

We are not under any illusion that this was by our own making (that's why I shared it as a testimony). There really is no guaranteed certain path. We can only do the best we can and leave the rest to God.

This was her very first Canadian interview.

The moral of the whole story here is Don't limit or constrain yourself by other people's experience

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nozzle(m): 3:17pm On Dec 01, 2019
Happy sunday to you all

Please those of us in calgary or edmonton, how did you get day care for your kids, how easy was it? What are the cost, any subsidies?

We are planning our trip for may next year to calgary. Please i will need your help.

I will also like to join both calgary or edmonton chat groups.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by sleekysoft(m): 3:34pm On Dec 01, 2019
Hello People.. i am here to remind you to take good use of CYBER MONDAY.. shop online in canada for unbeatable price.. Don't be left out

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Palominopeaches(f): 3:58pm On Dec 01, 2019
Hello guys, please how can someone start a career in IT financial analysis in Canada, especially in Alberta. What are the courses required to be done and where can they be done.
Please any idea will be appreciated

Please don't mind the amateurish question. I don't really know anything about it

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Palominopeaches(f): 4:10pm On Dec 01, 2019
Hello ma'am, I sent you a pm, please would you kindly check. Thanks
CanadianWasp:
Sooo, this might be quite a long read. Will try and make it short so it doesn't turn into a snoozefest, lol.
Last last, we go all dey alright �
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Influential101: 4:15pm On Dec 01, 2019
sleekysoft:
Hello People.. i am here to remind you to take good use of CYBER MONDAY.. shop online in canada for unbeatable price.. Don't be left out
Thanks for this..anyone that comes across a good deal for winter jackets should kindly share please. smiley

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 7:42pm On Dec 01, 2019
Influential101:
Thanks for this..anyone that comes across a good deal for winter jackets should kindly share please. smiley
Depends on what you would call a good deal and your pocket. NorthFace, Eddie Bauer, Columbia etc all have ongoing sales.
If you are loaded, Canada goose, Pajar, Nobis etc also have on going sales.
Check sportchek and Altitude shop online stores..

23 Likes 25 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Silversurfer1: 8:35pm On Dec 01, 2019
Hello all. After about a month and a half (could be more. Lol) of reading, I've finally caught up with this thread. I'm still post AOR but I'm praying and hoping to receive PPR before the end of the year.
I've learnt so much from this thread and I want to thank you all for your contributions. You're stars and may God bless you guys.
Okay, back to reading mode. Enjoy winter grin grin

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Influential101: 8:44pm On Dec 01, 2019
salford1:

Depends on what you would call a good deal and your pocket. NorthFace, Eddie Bauer, Columbia etc all have ongoing sales.
If you are loaded, Canada goose, Pajar, Nobis etc also have on going sales.
Check sportchek and Altitude shop online stores..
Many thanks Salford smiley

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by zohan101: 10:02am On Dec 02, 2019
Boss I greet you..Thanks for all the insightful info you give on TB thread..#Respect

ahiboilandgas:
hello have u heard of the start up visa ? For enterprenure starting out in Canada,are u aware of any Nigerian that

came through the route
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by zohan101: 10:08am On Dec 02, 2019
Oga Salford..Please which of Edmonton or calgary do you think is better for a Civil/structural engineer? As things are now,putting in mind that oil and gas isnt a priority for civil engineers..Thanks boss .

salford1:

Calgary is more of an oil city and indeed beautiful. Edmonton is more diverse with lots of gov work. Calgary took a beating during the last 4 to 5 years because of low oil price.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 1:18pm On Dec 02, 2019
zohan101:
Oga Salford..Please which of Edmonton or calgary do you think is better for a Civil/structural engineer? As things are now,putting in mind that oil and gas isnt a priority for civil engineers..Thanks boss .
Since you are in structures, you would likely have to rely on the oil industry for jobs. I would go for Edmonton over Calgary. However, do not restrict yourself to these two cities. In recent times, people with Civil engr education and experience from Canada living in Calgary have had to move as far as Grand Prairie for jobs - not saying this will be your case, but just have that in mind.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Palominopeaches(f): 1:45pm On Dec 02, 2019
Oga Salford please can you help? I'm enquiring for hubby
Palominopeaches:
Hello guys, please how can someone start a career in IT financial analysis in Canada, especially in Alberta. What are the courses required to be done and where can they be done.
Please any idea will be appreciated

Please don't mind the amateurish question. I don't really know anything about it
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by zohan101: 1:54pm On Dec 02, 2019
Thanks alot..Yea, I am prepared to move anywhere, even outside Alberta..Thanks for the info.God bless you..

salford1:

Since you are in structures, you would likely have to rely on the oil industry for jobs. I would go for Edmonton over Calgary. However, do not restrict yourself to these two cities. In recent times, people with Civil engr education and experience from Canada living in Calgary have had to move as far as Grand Prairie for jobs - not saying this will be your case, but just have that in mind.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 4:04pm On Dec 02, 2019
Palominopeaches:
Oga Salford please can you help? I'm enquiring for hubby
Hi Palominopeaches. I do not know about this industry. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ultrazone(m): 5:12pm On Dec 02, 2019
[quote author=salford1 post=84558807]
Oga Salford,

Thanks for your enlightenment on this thread.

What is your view about nursing as a profession over there, looking at the high rates in Alberta, declining job positions in different provinces and the recent layoffs by AHS. Do you have information on other careers in healthcare, as my partner is interested in a switch to one after landing in Canada.

We are considering a career that is less saturated, with decent pay because she intends to return to school.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by profeddor15: 5:12pm On Dec 02, 2019
Good evening sir and ma in the house, happy new month to you all.
Firstly, I appreciate God for his goodness and mercy upon every cannylanders in the house for the success and unlimited achievement so far and the one that will come up as additional Xmas and New year gift to us all.
Secondly,I need your clarification on this issue.
After one has received ITA, how can one get AOR?
Also, on what condition will one need ADR during the registration process?
Once again, I sincerely appreciate God for the admin and members of this glorious and excellent platform for their fatherly and motherly encouragement, support and assistance at all time.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Elektra008(f): 5:26pm On Dec 02, 2019
profeddor15:
Firstly, I appreciate God for his goodness and mercy upon every cannylanders in the house for the success and unlimited achievement so far and the one that will come up as additional Xmas and New year gift to us all.
Once again, I sincerely appreciate God for the admin and members of this glorious and excellent platform for their fatherly and motherly encouragement, support and assistance at all time.
Mhmmm. Nawa o... Nothing wey Musa no go see for gate o

9 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Cyril009(m): 5:27pm On Dec 02, 2019
Good day first time here a complete novice
is it possible to move to Canada and work as an Uber driver cause I don't know how much they earn monthly if it is sustainable ��
if yes I am travelling alone how much do I need to have
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Walegy: 5:51pm On Dec 02, 2019
If you want to answer question, answer and don't be sarcastic.
Elektra008:

Mhmmm. Nawa o... Nothing wey Musa no go see for gate o

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 6:30pm On Dec 02, 2019
ultrazone:

What is your view about nursing as a profession over there, looking at the high rates in Alberta, declining job positions in different provinces and the recent layoffs by AHS. Do you have information on other careers in healthcare, as my partner is interested in a switch to one after landing in Canada.

We are considering a career that is less saturated, with decent pay because she intends to return to school.
Brother. Don't let anyone or Alberta's AHS numbers decieve you. As far as healthcare careers are concerned, Nursing is still a recession proof profession. It might be saturated in big cities, but smaller cities are always in need of nurses. Other good career paths in healthcare of worthy mention are medical radio tech, combined lab&x-ray and Respiratory Therapy.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AnthonyAk(m): 6:34pm On Dec 02, 2019
Collintos:
By Golbon

I do not regret moving away from home and experiencing a new life.

But I do regret choosing Canada over Europe (I did have the choice).

Here are a few things I am sure the responses, especially the ones from those who have ‘just’ moved here and likely wrote the comments in their ‘high’ of traveling do not cover.

1 - The cold is deadly - and no one wants to admit it.

2 - It is cold not only outside, Canadians like to burn extra fuel on airconditioning and to freeze their indoor areas too, both in summer and winter (and yes there are only two seasons in Canada). There is not one day all year around when you can do your errands without having to carry a jacket or, ever thinking of wearing a skirt like I like to do - because the moment you step inside buildings it’s FREEZING (unless you are exercising). Although, I must say people do not dress to the weather, and if you have an issue with the cold, you will be always objectified ‘omg! your wearing too much! are you cold?’

Look, winters are 8 months long here (Edit: when I say winter, I mean so long I need to wear knits, jackets, tooks and boots, if you go out with shorts in 10 degrees good for you, anything below 12 is winter to me and most people from mild climates). for at least 3 months, it’s below -15 (Edit: if anyone doubts this, they can track the weather and average temperature in various provinces, make sure you look at the ‘real feel’ value too. Unless you are in Windsor Ontario or BC, this is what it is, if not worse). You need a car. You need a really good home with proper heating, and still your social life is brought to minimum during those months. Now, let’s see what happens when you are a broke student who lives in the burbs and cannot even dream of having a car. I live downtown and it’s 15 min walk to my school (nice eh?) when it’s -40, I do mind having to walk 15 mins.

3 - It is super expensive. Rent goes up ridiculously every year. You could look it up if you wished, but I am half-certain hat Canadians pay the highest price for phone and internet services in the developed world. Other expenses are high too, compared to many countries - and it’s not like you get a top quality life for the expensive things you spend money on. I am talking about a single person who cooks their own meals, does not even drink and, does not spare money on anything other than necessities.

4 - Public transportation SUCKS BALLS. I know most people around the world like to talk about how punctual buses are in Canada because if they do not pick people up in a timely manner people could freeze. That’s an utter lie. And on top of that, the reach each of each city’s transportation system is very weak. Unless you live in the downtown area (which makes it easier just to walk or bike rather than having to wait for irregular buses for unknown periods of time) chances are you will have to spend 2+ hrs on transportation every day just to get to where you work or you go to school. Most of the cities do not have metro (subway) and again when they do, the beauty of it is only when you are in close distances to the core downtown. Otherwise metro will never get you to the inner cities, and you will have to switch to subsidiary buses that…again will get you to wait…and wait…and wait. Intercity transport is also awful, a monopoly and, expensive. I do not know if there are any countries left around the world wish such disconnected transport system - especially given how far apart everything is in North America.

Never mind internal flight prices. I don’t want to even start writing about Air Canada.

5 - Relationships are overrated, and talking about the ‘physiological need for sex’ is the centerpiece of reasoning for inquiring one. The dating scene is an absolute bogus mess, which comes down to women chasing men, hopes of sharing the rent, or otherwise being pointed at as ‘not getting enough sex’ and ‘not having a man’ ( sometimes I wonder if it is the 1800s and the age of getting wedded is 16). People move-in in a matter of days of knowing each other and move-out in a matter of a couple of months. By late 20s, anyone you meet has been through divorce(s) or separation(s), likely has kids, usually still ‘hangs out’ with their exes (you are likely to learn about the grisly truth only after you have invested yourself emotionally in an unworthy narcissist too hard). Every one you meet is bitter and cunning, only looking for another partner to suit their economic imbalances. People put up with cheating partners very often, and internalizing these standards, at least when you are super lonely, comes next. You’ll be surprised.

(I generally would not suggest a single person who is interested in dating to come here. If I ever do recommend Canada it’s to couples. If you have kids you will get to raise them in safe, ugly neighborhoods where they never play on the streets - I don’t know why? It’s safe, it’s super flat and begs for two gates and a soccer ball or hockey puck- and you will have to dump thousands and thousands of dollars on their daycare). I will not get into the cost of primary education. Not here.

Please could these be true at seniors in the house shocked shocked shocked shocked undecided undecided undecided lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Every ones experience is diffrent? What province are you? what do you do for work? dont be fooled any major city in this world is expensive

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Palominopeaches(f): 6:35pm On Dec 02, 2019
salford1:

Hi Palominopeaches. I do not know about this industry. Thanks
Thank you for your reply sir

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AnthonyAk(m): 6:50pm On Dec 02, 2019
Cyril009:
Good day first time here a complete novice
is it possible to move to Canada and work as an Uber driver cause I don't know how much they earn monthly if it is sustainable ��
if yes I am travelling alone how much do I need to have

Not possible , under normal pretenses at least. They really blocking Uber up here and to work a sustainable amount of hours will be back breaking work.

Ill break it down. Paying rent in any city (where uber actually operates) here will be around $1000+ . Lots of figures thrown around here. so lets say its comes down to $11 per hour. You will need to work 90 hours in a month just to make rent.

You cant drive without insurance either. So if you have a basic car you looking at an extra $100 - $200 per month for insurance. Then add other living expenses.

In fact Uber is only nice as extra income. you dont want to come here and suffer yourself. if you dont have a nice career to work in as you land it can be troublesome

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ultrazone(m): 8:45pm On Dec 02, 2019
salford1:

I'm grateful.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Stencil: 8:51pm On Dec 02, 2019
This is the best thread for your questions.

profeddor15:

(1) (2) (3) ... (255) (256) (257) (258) (259) (260) (261) ... (713) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.