Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,165 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:58 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (36) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2197050 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) ... (713) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by softandmoist(f): 4:26pm On Jan 26, 2019
If your name is Gbenga, you live in Regina and was running a few weeks ago because you were freezing and a white woman gave you a ride and took your phone number, thank you for being a good ambassador of Nigeria.
You're the first Nigerian she ever met and you left an excellent impression which is why she lit up when I told her my nationality and was helpful to me. She paid for my order at Tim's.
Thank you.

121 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by princesschuks: 4:36pm On Jan 26, 2019
softandmoist:
If your name is Gbenga, you live in Regina and was running a few weeks ago because you were freezing and a white woman gave you a ride and took your phone number, thank you for being a good ambassador of Nigeria.
You're the first Nigerian she ever met and you left an excellent impression which is why she lit up when I told her my nationality and was helpful to me.
Thank you.

Now this cracked me up.
Gbenga in Regina thank you oh

34 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by mikkyphp(m): 4:48pm On Jan 26, 2019
Ifeoma77:
I attended an ACESS webinar yesterday and we were asked to spread the word that they've added a new stream to their prearrival service.
Before now, you couldn't obtain pre-arrival service from them unless you were in;
Engineering
Financial Services
Human Resources
Sales and Marketing or
Supply Chain

They've added another one now called;
Leadership

The leadership option is available to any and every one who doesn't fall into the other five streams.
You have to have gotten PPR before you'll be accepted into the program.

Just fyi
who ACESS help? any testimonies out there?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by meetchandus(m): 5:11pm On Jan 26, 2019
lobell:

This your username sha...does not leave much to the imagination.

Lol.I know that already..I joined nairaland back in 2015 just fun and didn't expect to be this active here..Been trying to change it for a while but I guess I am stuck with it..

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ifeoma77(f): 5:29pm On Jan 26, 2019
mikkyphp:
They are very helpful o. Besides, it's free, so what's there to lose?

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by akinolajane(f): 6:54pm On Jan 26, 2019
olajide21:
Addis Ababa from the air

Please I am trying to contact you, I have a few questions to ask about the process. I and my husband are due to submit our application in First week of February. We got our ITA in Dec. Kindly drop your email address or please inbox me on tikinolar@gmail.com
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by mikkyphp(m): 7:53pm On Jan 26, 2019
Ifeoma77:

They are very helpful o. Besides, it's free, so what's there to lose?
Lol...I'm asking for personal testimonies. it's free, i know, but it could also be time wasting...#justsaying...
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by negal(f): 8:01pm On Jan 26, 2019
mikkyphp:

They really helped me o.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by negal(f): 8:05pm On Jan 26, 2019
mikkyphp:

Lol...I'm asking for personal testimonies. it's free, i know, but it could also be time wasting...#justsaying...

Please don’t discourage others. If you apply all they thought you, you will go places. They helped me rebrand my resume and helped refer me to some companies. I used them before landing and also after landing I attended a few of their networking events.

In summary I got a job in my field about 2 weeks after landing. �

52 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by mikkyphp(m): 9:23pm On Jan 26, 2019
negal:

Please don’t discourage others. If you apply all they thought you, you will go places. They helped me rebrand my resume and helped refer me to some companies. I used them before landing and also after landing I attended a few of their networking events.

In summary I got a job in my field about 2 weeks after landing. �
A question challenging the effectiveness of these pre-settlement organizations is not akin to discouragement. Let's not venture into ad-hominem. People have different experiences and i was asking for real life and tangible testimonies that could also assist those about to embark on this journey. Thanks for your reply and good to see that you had a good experience.

9 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by mikkyphp(m): 9:23pm On Jan 26, 2019
negal:

They really helped me o.
Good stuff
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by oohunt: 9:41pm On Jan 26, 2019
joo2018:
WELCOME TO LIVING IN CANADA/LIFE AS A CANADIAN IMMIGRANT PART TWO

[size=11pt][/size]

Hello Guys,

It has been ages!!! Glad to see part 2!!!!!

I have not logged into Nairaland in a long time. I have been busy building my business. (Story for another day)

I saw some questions about whether I am in Canada and I wanted to answer that I am not. We visited ... according to my last comment but it has been a big debate between myself and all my family members on whether or not it is a great choice and the right time. The good thing is that I still have a year+ to pack my bags.

I wish I can promise to read all that has been going on but the truth is that I may not have the time to do it.

I hope this thread has helped people, and I wish everyone who has embarked on this courageous journey the best of luck.

May God bless you all!

30 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Tojued: 10:18pm On Jan 26, 2019
mikkyphp:

There are testimonies. Did you bother doing a search? Below is a notable one :

1. https://www.nairaland.com/4212543/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled/534#66458845

2. Friend in real life got job in her field via internship even before she completed the programme.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by iaatmguy(m): 10:56pm On Jan 26, 2019
deTimo:

The landing gist has been given by the man with the red ink. @smslive2 thanks
[color=#990000]

[/color]
okkkkkkkkkk i see
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Xplorezee: 11:12pm On Jan 26, 2019
[quote author=Ifeoma77 post=75135061]I attended an ACESS webinar yesterday and we were asked to spread the word that they've added a new stream to their prearrival service.
Before now, you couldn't obtain pre-arrival service from them unless you were in;
Engineering
Financial Services
Human Resources
Sales and Marketing or

How can I attend the webinar pls...and am still post AOR . Can I attend or wait till I get my ppr

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by modath(f): 12:20am On Jan 27, 2019

Anyone in need of Canadian Dollars in CANADA, to bank, to pay rent, or for any sundry needs not exceeding $5k (for now) can message me ..TOTALLY LEGIT funds...(Kindly investigate my antecedent on this platform before making contact)

I'm active on the E currency thread in the business section......

WhatsApp link on Siggy.......

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by obuksjr(m): 1:19am On Jan 27, 2019
Following
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by amdman: 5:11am On Jan 27, 2019
mikkyphp:

Acces is very useful, particularly if you got in with a fair idea of what they have to offer and what your part is.

Am currently in the 35th Cohort of their Entrepreneurship Connections program and it has been a very good investment of my time.

14 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by amdman: 5:26am On Jan 27, 2019
I must commend all those that contribute to this thread, particularly those that consistently answer questions and provide solutions. Things move so fast here and for them to find the time to still patiently answer questions is quite laudable.

MORE LANDING TIPS

If you are landing soon, particularly in these wintry conditions, you will do well to invest in an original powerbank (not those fake ones with bloated Mah). Somehow, cold and battery life are not friends, so your phone battery can suddenly drain, particularly when it is around the less than 30% mark. If you depend on Google Maps for direction (as much as I did in my initial days and still do), it will be very interesting if Google Map leads you out and your battery drains while you are in the cold trying to plot your way back. On one of those days, I found it is not usual for people to take their phone chargers to work, so nobody could help. So here I was at Scarborough, with a dead phone and no idea how to get home to downtown. Eventually found a wickedly priced charger at a convenience after a long search in the cold.

ELECTRONIC GADGETS

I recall someone asking whether they can bring their electronic gadgets from Nigeria. Well, bad news is that electronics here are powered at 110v and not 220v like Nigeria. So most electronic gadgets from Nigeria will not perform optimally... like my dearly beloved hair clipper. So be sure to check the power rating of your equipment before making that decision.

70 Likes 24 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Dannyko: 2:12pm On Jan 27, 2019
olajide21:
After 36hrs of Travel, Calgary I am soooo pleased to finally meet you. I am a very nice guy with my family of a sweet wifey and lovely kids. Canada, be nice in return ok.

She (Canada) is soooooo beautiful people!

Whatever stage you are on the process, i wish you the best.

The fulfilment that comes after you've landed is that of accomplishment.

Alhamdulillah for His mercies.

Goodluck and bye for now
Congratulations!Wishing you favour and grace hereon.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by daremum(m): 3:06pm On Jan 27, 2019
Hello All.

Happy Sunday.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Adiepena: 3:34pm On Jan 27, 2019
Hello Everyone,
Happy Sunday
Please those in Calgary who have kids in Catholic schools, how did u get admission if you are not a catholic?
Have seen on most of the schools website that they require either the baptismal cert of one parent or the child for registration.
Pls help a sister out.
Thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by nnysmuse: 4:13pm On Jan 27, 2019
Landing story

We booked our flight for 24th and a day before we went to cargo our food items and other sundry.

Day of departure: Hmmm, we all woke up early as the flight was in the afternoon. There were bags to pack as per family of three- 6 luggages, 3 hand luggages and 2 back packs. We loaded the car and off we went. The guys decided to get a fresher haircut on our way since we were very early. They went into the barber shop and by the time they were done it was past 9am. Alright time to go but everywhere in the estate was blocked. No movement. As in stand still .

Panic mode: TWO hours later we were still in the estate trying to navigate our way out. We got out of the car to start clearing traffic at the other end. Once we made it out a little I walked out the entrance of the estate and saw gridlock shocked. Oh my God! I had tried to check in online so many times that I lost count but it didn't work cry. We started thinking of different ways to get us out of the traffic. Using tricycle was out of it because no one was moving as in even bike and maruwa couldn't move.

My husband went to look for some hausa boys sitting around and called them to carry the luggages. About 8 of them put our bags on their heads grin and we were running out to the other side of the express road that was free of traffic. Time was fast running out and by God's grace we got a taxi that took us all to the airport in one trip. When we got there and saw that they were still checking people in, I couldn't help but praise God. Our bags were weighed and they were within the limit cheesy. Phew!!!

Flight: The first leg of the flight was okay. Meal was fine. Our super active toddler was bubbly all through and by the time we got to our first stop at Addis Ababa we were exhausted from all the activity since morning.

The Second leg of the flight was cool as the plane was bigger and I got to sleep a little, same as the last leg. We had a short stopover at Dublin to refuel and change cabin crew. Then they shared the customs declaration card and we filled and declared what we brought with us.

Landing: We landed in Toronto at 7.28am and moved to get cleared. The queue was not too long but one of the immigration officer was super slow and so the line moved slowly. By the time we were done, we ended up missing our connecting flight to Calgary. Next we went on get our baggage and isle was near empty and had stopped rotating. Left there and moved to customs to submit our declaration card and goods to follow list. The officer asked if there was meat and milk and informed us that powdered milk is prohibited. By the time we were done it was almost 12 noon. We went to air canada and the next flight was for 2.20pm. We took it and went to chill.

Our flight to Calgary was funny. We were super exhausted that we dozed off a little and had to run to catch our flight as we didn't get there on time ( or so we thought)
We got to the gate and asked to please get in front of the queue and the lady was nice to oblige us. After boarding, I started asking myself some rhetoric life questions undecided*insert deep thinking emoji* (given all the action film since yesterday) lol but we were super tired and slept the whole flight till we got into Calgary.

We got into Calgary in the evening say 7pm being its a 4 hour flight and also the flight didn't even leave on time and was about 30 mins late ( after all our marathon) rolls eyes*. At the airport while waiting for our taxi, we met a Nigerian man Seun who bought us all Tim Horton's hot chocolate, bagels and muffins at his expense. He was very welcoming. Thank you Seun. God bless you.

Took a taxi to our apartment we had made previously deposit for and slept off. Since we got in on a Friday we just went with the weekend flow. Account opening and health card registration done. The weather hasn't been too bad here. There was some sunshine yesterday in the midst of the cold lol.
After everything, it is so worth it!! I Thank God for everything cheesy cheesy

Canada will be blessed for us all and we shall eat the good of the land in Jesus Name. Amen. It will end in praise!

130 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by deTimo: 5:02pm On Jan 27, 2019
nnysmuse:

They went to the barber shop and by the time they were done it was past 9am. Okay o but everywhere in our estate was blocked. No movement. As in stand still.

Panic mode: TWO hours later we were still in the estate trying to navigate our way out. My husband had jumped out since to be clearing traffic at the end.

Even bike and maruwa couldn't move.

That's how it went. Canada will be blessed for us all and we shall eat the good of the land. Amen.

Please were do we get affordable proteins and groceries in bulk between NE/NW?

Congratulations... Welcome home. You will be favored and flavored in the land

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Dannyko: 5:10pm On Jan 27, 2019
nnysmuse:
Landing story

We booked our flight with Ethiopian air for 24th and a day before we went to cargo our food items and other sundry at nahco. On getting there we got the items weighed and a quote was given. I priced o and finally we agreed. The guy that we met there asked for another payment as fees and we settled with him. It was kinda costly but we just had to so we can move on. Getting home, we weighed our bags with a hand held scale in preparation for our flight the next day.

Day of departure: hmmm, we all woke up early as the flight was in the afternoon. There were bags to pack as per family of three- 6 luggages, 3 hand luggages and 2 back packs. We loaded the car and off we went. My husband and son decided to get a fresher haircut on our way since we were very early. They went to the barber shop and by the time they were done it was past 9am. Okay o but everywhere in our estate was blocked. No movement. As in stand still.

Thanks
Congrats! The Hausa boys part cracked me up cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by nnysmuse: 5:30pm On Jan 27, 2019
Dannyko:
Congrats! The Hausa boys part cracked me up cheesy
cheesy cheesy
Thank you!

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by nnysmuse: 5:32pm On Jan 27, 2019
Thank you! Amen
deTimo:

Congratulations... Welcome home. You will be favored and flavored in the land
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Licious07(f): 6:00pm On Jan 27, 2019
[quote author=nnysmuse post=75166873]Landing story

We booked our flight with Ethiopian air for 24th and a day before we went to cargo our food items and other sundry at nah

Thank God for journey mercies. Wishing your family all the best!

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by majjj: 7:45pm On Jan 27, 2019
Hi all. I saw this on @IRCC on twitter. Hopefully someone needs it. Looking forward to migrating fully to this thread!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Kmgb1: 9:02pm On Jan 27, 2019
majjj:
Hi all. I saw this on @IRCC on twitter. Hopefully someone needs it. Looking forward to migrating fully to this thread!

Chei my city of destination,if only...... thanks for sharing
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Mizwisdom(f): 9:12pm On Jan 27, 2019
Adiepena:
Hello Everyone,
Happy Sunday
Please those in Calgary who have kids in Catholic schools, how did u get admission if you are not a catholic?
Have seen on most of the schools website that they require either the baptismal cert of one parent or the child for registration.
Pls help a sister out.
Thank you.

I heard it's difficult for non Catholics to get in

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by bbaby84(f): 9:37pm On Jan 27, 2019
@Rebarobyn hi, I saw your pm. Kindly follow me and send a message.

Thanks.

Happy New year people !!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) ... (713) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.