Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,699 members, 7,816,857 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:57 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (624) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2189442 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (621) (622) (623) (624) (625) (626) (627) ... (713) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ShallyK: 4:16am On Dec 23, 2022
Lol.. No everyday. Went with Koddo while hubby did Fido, we will then compare services after 2-4 months.
greenverte:

I believe this your shuttling is not everyday commute.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by okikiosibodu(m): 2:04pm On Dec 23, 2022
Kabuki2018:
hello
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by okikiosibodu(m): 2:21pm On Dec 23, 2022
OrlyGold:
You don't need the settlement letter yet.
And why are you using agent with all the resources here.
when it's time for settlement you would know and it's more like a form to fill.
Sorry for late response. I waited tirelessly , no show.. Nd I didn't want to take anything to chances.
The fees ate been handled by a sponsor, so I don't have much to lose. I will just be following up with info from here.
Thank you though for you wise words. Naija don't tire me.
After one gets letter of advice to apply, can you advice on the next step(s) to take?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by okikiosibodu(m): 3:27pm On Dec 23, 2022
cochtrane:

Yeah, you can send a PM. I see that a number of Nigerians in Canada are now interested in data science/ machine learning, whether as business analysts or managers.
Good afternoon, I hope its not too late for me to fetch from your reservoir of knowledge?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Chidizman(m): 12:19am On Dec 26, 2022
Good morning guys,

Please is there a WhatsApp group for Nigerians in Ontario?

Someone should kindly assist. I’m due to come in this week.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Oldfashioned145: 8:17am On Dec 26, 2022
Hi. Is there anyone in Toronto who can accommodate me for a few days or knows a cheap bed and breakfast in the area. Ive been at the airport for the past two days because air Canada cancelled all their flights and I don't have a blanket with me because my hand luggage was checked in at doha. Help please!

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by maziude: 11:39am On Dec 26, 2022
Chidizman:
Good morning guys,

Please is there a WhatsApp group for Nigerians in Ontario?

Someone should kindly assist. I’m due to come in this week.

You do know Ontario is a province.

You should be asking for the WhatsApp group for the particular city you are going to.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by zeb04(f): 12:16pm On Dec 26, 2022
Guys I need a WhatsApp group for Nigerians in Quebec. Help please
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by tracy0803409: 10:57pm On Dec 26, 2022
Goodevening House,please for someone who is arriving Canada with a SOWP and he is a Mechanical Engineer back home,please what kind of job can he via for when he arrives Canada?

Please Answers Family,information is key,that's why am asking, still trying to settle down please

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by aestake: 11:01pm On Dec 26, 2022
Oldfashioned145:
Hi. Is there anyone in Toronto who can accommodate me for a few days or knows a cheap bed and breakfast in the area. Ive been at the airport for the past two days because air Canada cancelled all their flights and I don't have a blanket with me because my hand luggage was checked in at doha. Help please!

Order for blanket ooh. People die because of the weather.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by maziude: 11:28pm On Dec 26, 2022
zeb04:
Guys I need a WhatsApp group for Nigerians in Quebec. Help please

Where in Quebec?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by oluayebenz: 12:15am On Dec 27, 2022
Oldfashioned145:

People hardly help stranger with accomodation in this part of the world.

I will advice you book for a short stay with Airbnb, ensure you stay close to the Airport o.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jeffi7: 1:56am On Dec 27, 2022
Pls what is the documents needed to start driving in Canada?

Which is more important? Local drivers license or international drivers license?

What are the steps to take to start driving in canada
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by maziude: 2:58am On Dec 27, 2022
Jeffi7:

Which is more important? Local drivers license or international drivers license?

You don reach Canada?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 3:26am On Dec 27, 2022
Jeffi7:

check page 1 for info on driving. Its the normal driving license not international
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by peejayT: 12:03am On Dec 28, 2022
Oldfashioned145:

Sorry but just trying to learn, why did you check in your hand luggage at doha and why did they cancel their flights
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by WinterDreary: 2:30pm On Dec 28, 2022
Did anybody get the invite to write the online exam for the Data Science Fellow position at Statistics Canada? I'd love to talk to anyone who may have gotten an invite to write this exam. It's urgent. Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by megastu(m): 3:12pm On Dec 28, 2022
i use international anytime i am in Canada
Jeffi7:

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by megastu(m): 3:24pm On Dec 28, 2022
just helped a few travelers in this situation. The snag is that they needed to find their way to my house and back to the airport. The bad thing is that the uber fair will cost you the same amount for a night stay.
Oldfashioned145:

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Oldfashioned145: 4:24am On Dec 29, 2022
Plane was too small according to the man at the gate.

peejayT:

Sorry but just trying to learn, why did you check in your hand luggage at doha and why did they cancel their flights
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by njambert: 4:52pm On Dec 29, 2022
Hi guys in the IT sector,I'd like to move to Calgary,Alberta as PR(already submitted application) next year with wife and 1year old son.I'm a mining engineer with no professional experience and have been a self employed trilingual(English/French/Chinese) international electronics dropshipper for 4.5years.I'm trying to lay down a settlement plan.I wish to implore your advice on what you could recommend for me as I wish to transition into IT.I do not want to work as a mining engineer.I'm 28,willing to get into software development then blockchain dev.Willing to withstand a year or two of hardship for training purposes.What type of survival jobs can I get into and also what study loan options are there?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Weezybaby: 8:36pm On Dec 29, 2022
njambert:
Hi guys in the IT sector,I'd like to move to Calgary,Alberta as PR(already submitted application) next year with wife and 1year old son.I'm a mining engineer with no professional experience and have been a self employed trilingual(English/French/Chinese) international electronics dropshipper for 4.5years.I'm trying to lay down a settlement plan.I wish to implore your advice on what you could recommend for me as I wish to transition into IT.I do not want to work as a mining engineer.I'm 28,willing to get into software development then blockchain dev.Willing to withstand a year or two of hardship for training purposes.What type of survival jobs can I get into and also what study loan options are there?

You language ability is definitely an advantage but experience really is the major thing here. There is no one route to success, it’s based on your mindset and past experiences. Most importantly, You need to figure out what you can easily fit into, and work on getting work experience (no matter how short) right from Nigeria before moving to make it easier.

Whether white collar or business.

For white collar jobs, check the requirements of such jobs today, qualification and experience, and work towards attaining them.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by zeb04(f): 12:11pm On Dec 30, 2022
maziude:

Where in Quebec?

sorry for the late response.

Bon-Conseil, Quebec
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Bossjakande: 12:17pm On Dec 30, 2022
zeb04:

sorry for the late response.

Bon-Conseil, Quebec
gush did u lived in Canada now
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by johnstan(m): 3:45pm On Dec 30, 2022
Hi,
Please is there a whatsapp group for people in kitchener - Waterloo.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by cochtrane(m): 9:27pm On Dec 30, 2022
njambert:

They banned me the first time for posting this, so let me try reposting in chunks.

The ultimate plan for transition into Tech in Canada.

Before you even commence at all, you need to ask yourself if this is really what you want. A lot of people are following herd mentality in their transition to Tech without really being sure if they want to do this. Are you ready for sleepless nights? Are you ready for times when it looks like you are not learning anything no matter how hard you try? Are you ready for episodes of absolute discouragement where you just want to give up this whole Tech thing and just go find the next best survival job?

Once you are sure you want to put your neck into this, ask yourself where your strength lies. Being in Tech is not just about coding, even if coding appears to pay a lot more. There are a lot of roles suited to a variety of people. Of course, if you want to maximize your usefulness and really learn a skill, then you should gravitate towards the more technical side of things. I have always told people that being able to code and demonstrate real skill will ensure you never lack a job forever. Yes, forever!

So, what would be the best steps?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by cochtrane(m): 9:28pm On Dec 30, 2022
cochtrane:

They banned me the first time for posting this, so let me try reposting in chunks.

The ultimate plan for transition into Tech in Canada.

Before you even commence at all, you need to ask yourself if this is really what you want. A lot of people are following herd mentality in their transition to Tech without really being sure if they want to do this. Are you ready for sleepless nights? Are you ready for times when it looks like you are not learning anything no matter how hard you try? Are you ready for episodes of absolute discouragement where you just want to give up this whole Tech thing and just go find the next best survival job?

Once you are sure you want to put your neck into this, ask yourself where your strength lies. Being in Tech is not just about coding, even if coding appears to pay a lot more. There are a lot of roles suited to a variety of people. Of course, if you want to maximize your usefulness and really learn a skill, then you should gravitate towards the more technical side of things. I have always told people that being able to code and demonstrate real skill will ensure you never lack a job forever. Yes, forever!

So, what would be the best steps?

1. Figure out what you like to do? Do you like to manage people? Then do project management. Are you more interested in designing things, so maybe go for UX/UI design? Do you prefer to work with the actual products and interface with software engineers? Are you more of a business person, the MBA-type, or you come from a business background? Then consider business analyst roles. Or do you just want to learn to code, learn a skill and have work forever? Therefore, do software engineering? Or you have a great flair for data and want to become a data scientist?

2. Go online and start any free course you can find. That should be your first step. But keep in mind you won’t understand immediately and that’s okay. Don’t expect to. However, you start to get familiar bit by bit with some of the things you want to do and that’s a good starting point.

3. Next, try to enroll in an actual in-person course where you are able to work on assignments. This should be at the top of your list. Of course, this shouldn’t stop you from doing a lot of self-study, but what an in-person course does for you, is make you commit. If you have to hand in assignments every week (as is the tradition with most education in Canada), chances are you will learn significantly more.

There are so many universities in and around Canada that offer good certificate courses that can keep you busy. Get into one of them and start to learn and build a network. Only very few people are able to learn effectively by themselves. If you aren’t one, get into a course. An additional advantage is that you can put it on your CV.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by cochtrane(m): 9:31pm On Dec 30, 2022
cochtrane:

1. Figure out what you like to do? Do you like to manage people and therefore do project management? Are you more interested in designing things, so maybe go for UX/UI design? Do you prefer to work with the actual products and interface with software engineers? Are you more of a business person, the MBA-type, or you come from a business background and what to consider business analyst roles? Or do you just want to learn code, learn a skill and have work forever, and therefore do software engineering? Or you have a great flair for data and want to become a data scientist?

2. Go online and start any free course you can find. That should be your first step. But keep in mind you won’t understand immediately and that’s okay. Don’t expect to. However, you start to get familiar bit by bit with some of the things you want to do and that’s a good starting point.

3. Next, try to enroll in an actual in-person course where you are able to work on assignments. This should be at the top of your list. Of course, this shouldn’t stop you from doing a lot of self-study, but what an in-person course does for you, is make you commit. If you have to hand in assignments every week (as is the tradition with most education in Canada), chances are you will learn significantly more.

There are so many universities in and around Canada that offer good certificate courses that can keep you busy. Get into one of them and start to learn and build a network. Only very few people are able to learn effectively by themselves. If you aren’t one, get into a course. An additional advantage is that you can put it on your CV.

4. Start building projects, even if it means branching off of what some other people have done. This is important and is often the most effective way to learn.

5. Join communities and find motivation there. Try to join Nigerian communities, not foreign ones. Seeing the people you know (or feel you know) do things you want to do can be a great motivation. Besides, you can find a lot of collaboration opportunities there.

6. Keep practicing and don’t hesitate to start putting your CV out for internship positions. If you get interviews for such positions, be open and let them know your situation. Some may in fact take you up.

7. What I think is the God-level is going for a master’s degree in your field of choosing. Yes, having a master’s degree isn’t that important for the job market. But trust me, if you are able to complete a master’s degree in Canada or the US in an excellent University, you can do that job. Not only is the work intensive enough to set you straight, it also will help you a lot in your job applications. While employers may not be particular about a master's degree, it does set your CV apart from the others, especially if it is from an excellent university.

8. Above all, you should know that you are not alone here. Several people have accomplished exactly what you want to accomplish, so it’s not rocket science. Sorry to say, there’s nothing fantastic about it. You can do it just as many other people from varying backgrounds have done it. I can start counting off the top of my head now those whom I know personally who have made this transition successfully and are flourishing in their field at the moment. You can’t imagine the feeling of accomplishment that comes with it.

9. Finally, never stop learning. No matter what you do, never for once fold your hands, sit down, and think you have arrived. Never ever stop learning.

15 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (621) (622) (623) (624) (625) (626) (627) ... (713) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.