Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,222 members, 7,829,368 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:15 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (625) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2201550 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (622) (623) (624) (625) (626) (627) (628) ... (714) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Temitee4: 6:20am On Dec 31, 2022
Good evening. Please is there a Nigerian community in Milton, Ontario?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by House34: 10:01am On Dec 31, 2022
Please why is life insurance so expensive in canada compare to usa and other adance countries?

I have friends in usa ,uk of same age and nonsmoker ,am surprise how much they paying for life insurance compare to what am paying monthly in canada like 4 times more .
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by njambert: 10:13am On Dec 31, 2022
cochtrane:

4. Start building projects, even if it means branching off of what some other people have done. This is important and is often the most effective way to learn.

5. Join communities and find motivation there. Try to join Nigerian communities, not foreign ones. Seeing the people you know (or feel you know) do things you want to do can be a great motivation. Besides, you can find a lot of collaboration opportunities there.

6. Keep practicing and don’t hesitate to start putting your CV out for internship positions. If you get interviews for such positions, be open and let them know your situation. Some may in fact take you up.

7. What I think is the God-level is going for a master’s degree in your field of choosing. Yes, having a master’s degree isn’t that important for the job market. But trust me, if you are able to complete a master’s degree in Canada or the US in an excellent University, you can do that job. Not only is the work intensive enough to set you straight, it also will help you a lot in your job applications. While employers may not be particular about a master's degree, it does set your CV apart from the others, especially if it is from an excellent university.

8. Above all, you should know that you are not alone here. Several people have accomplished exactly what you want to accomplish, so it’s not rocket science. Sorry to say, there’s nothing fantastic about it. You can do it just as many other people from varying backgrounds have done it. I can start counting off the top of my head now those who I know personally who have made this transition successfully and are flourishing in their field at the moment. You can’t imagine the feeling of accomplishment that comes with it.

9. Finally, never stop learning. No matter what you do, never for once fold your hands, sit down, and think you have arrived. Never ever stop learning.

Wowwwwww thank you so much for taking out your time to clarify,educate and expantiate for me.All screenshotted and saved and will commit to in the months ahead.

Actually,I'm leaning more towards front end dev but doubt how fruitful or necessary it is compared to software dev or backend.Infact,I already started HTML/CSS and JS but didn't complete the course but understood basics.I cannot underestimate the importance the importance of inclass learning especially as I have alot of intraday commitments.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by YourFutureRoomi: 12:27pm On Dec 31, 2022
Hi guys, landing in Toronto in April. Looking for a female roommate to find/share a place with as I believe it will be cheaper. Please hit me up if you're interested.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by zeb04(f): 12:29pm On Dec 31, 2022
zeb04:
Guys I need a WhatsApp group for Nigerians in Quebec. Help please

Bon-Conseil to be precise.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Solidcitizen: 12:53pm On Dec 31, 2022
Please what is the best way to convert POF that is Naira to CAD? I wanted to try Pesapeer or Lemonade Finance but their exchange rates are not favorable based on my calculations (using cross rates)
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 1:50pm On Dec 31, 2022
Solidcitizen:
Please what is the best way to convert POF that is Naira to CAD? I wanted to try Pesapeer or Lemonade Finance but their exchange rates are not favorable based on my calculations (using cross rates)
https://www.nairaland.com/4933819/living-canada-life-canadian-immigrant/477#103495610
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by einsteino(m): 2:41pm On Dec 31, 2022
Like every other day I rolled out of bed, but the day wasn't every other day. Few minutes later, I pulled out an I.D that life as I knew it centered on. I would do the unthinkable to it. I grabbed a scissors and cut up the I.D, qs instructed. As I did, I was ushered into a new identity. I am happy to announce that I have officially become a Canadian Citizen! All from the comfort of my bedroom!

It feels surreal, everything about this journey has. Just a few years ago I was writing on travel threads on Nairaland. Somehow, through that I wrote a new chapter of my life that brought me to this lovely country of Canada. The past couple of years here has been some of the most challenging I have lived, in ways I couldn't have anticipated and lack the ability to put into words... but has also been the most transformative of my life. I have learned so much about myself and people in general, & have had to push myself beyond what I once called my limits.

Canada has allowed me to feel at home and yet stay true to my roots. The kindness and acceptance I have encountered here, I truly believe I would not have found anywhere else. So I'm happy to call this country home. I'm thankful to everyone who has been with me on this journey, and I am extremely proud of the incredible Nigerian community here.

78 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Eyegroup: 3:04pm On Dec 31, 2022
Please who can help come to Canada please
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Eyegroup: 3:04pm On Dec 31, 2022
I have saving of 20,000usd who can help me out
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Eyegroup: 3:05pm On Dec 31, 2022
With saving of 20,000usd can it take me to Canada please who can help me out
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AZeD1(m): 3:48pm On Dec 31, 2022
einsteino:
Like every other day I rolled out of bed, but the day wasn't every other day. Few minutes later, I pulled out an I.D that life as I knew it centered on. I would do the unthinkable to it. I grabbed a scissors and cut up the I.D, qs instructed. As I did, I was ushered into a new identity. I am happy to announce that I have officially become a Canadian Citizen! All from the comfort of my bedroom!

It feels surreal, everything about this journey has. Just a few years ago I was writing on travel threads on Nairaland. Somehow, through that I wrote a new chapter of my life that brought me to this lovely country of Canada. The past couple of years here has been some of the most challenging I have lived, in ways I couldn't have anticipated and lack the ability to put into words... but has also been the most transformative of my life. I have learned so much about myself and people in general, & have had to push myself beyond what I once called my limits.

Canada has allowed me to feel at home and yet stay true to my roots. The kindness and acceptance I have encountered here, I truly believe I would not have found anywhere else. So I'm happy to call this country home. I'm thankful to everyone who has been with me on this journey, and I am extremely proud of the incredible Nigerian community here.

Congrats Chief!!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 3:48pm On Dec 31, 2022
Eyegroup:
stop constituting nuisance

12 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Tcrown2020(f): 5:13pm On Jan 01, 2023
studycenter:
Congratulations
Please, is there a whatsap group for Nigerians or Nigerian students in Ottawa ?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Tdotbluejays1: 6:39pm On Jan 01, 2023
House34:
Please why is life insurance so expensive in canada compare to usa and other adance countries?

I have friends in usa ,uk of same age and nonsmoker ,am surprise how much they paying for life insurance compare to what am paying monthly in canada like 4 times more .
Alot of things are more expensive in Canada and not just life insurance. Power of monopoly. It is what it is.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nelly312: 7:14pm On Jan 01, 2023
House34:

really is it expensive, I am an insurance agent in Canada it all depends on the policy you are interested in
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by bubu44: 7:24pm On Jan 01, 2023
happy new year everyone,
please i just landed in canada for school a one year program completed in 8 months. if i do another 1 year program, will it give me a 3 year pgwp ?
Thanks in advance.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by gretop86: 3:33am On Jan 02, 2023
Eyegroup:
Do your research yourself. Don’t fall for scams. You just put a target on your back by mentioning what you have if it’s true.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Eyegroup: 4:16am On Jan 02, 2023
gretop86:

Do your research yourself. Don’t fall for scams. You just put a target on your back by mentioning what you have if it’s true.
I have good skills in IT...i'm a programmer... Just good agent that can help me. .what research agent will I do is not easy bri
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by House34: 9:28am On Jan 02, 2023
Nelly312:
really is it expensive, I am an insurance agent in Canada it all depends on the policy you are interested in

If you a real insurance agent then look at insurance prenium in other countries like usa then you will undertand it unneccessary high in canada
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ahlorba: 10:44am On Jan 02, 2023
Good morning guys, how long does it takes for visitor visa( temporary resident visa) to be processed.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 1:59pm On Jan 02, 2023
ahlorba:
Good morning guys, how long does it takes for visitor visa( temporary resident visa) to be processed.
7 months is what that stated in their website. However they have not processed for many who applied several months ago. I think they process for parents faster cos my mum applied in September and has been given, while my cousin applied in may- no response yet.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by tracy0803409: 3:02pm On Jan 02, 2023
Goodmorning Family, and a blessed and happy New Year to all of Us

Please,I need your advice and counselling

Am about to switch my Program to Diploma in Nursing in the same school, its a two years program,but there is a 30weeks prehealth program to be done before starting the course

My initial program is 2years duration, please with the prehealth program and 2 years diploma, it will exceed 2 years

Will it be possible for me to extend my STUDY PERMIT?

Will I still be eligible for the 3years PGWP?

My passport will be expiring mid 2024,will I be allowed to renew my passport and also extend my study permit?

Please how do I go about,Answers needed PLEASE
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AirBay: 5:30pm On Jan 02, 2023
ednut1:
7 months is what that stated in their website. However they have not processed for many who applied several months ago. I think they process for parents faster cos my mum applied in September and has been given, while my cousin applied in may- no response yet.

Yes, parents faster now. Applied Dec 2, approved Dec 28.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Sweetvie: 6:14pm On Jan 02, 2023
einsteino:

Congrats grin
I'm happy for you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by maziude: 6:18pm On Jan 02, 2023
tracy0803409:
Goodmorning Family, and a blessed and happy New Year to all of Us

Please,I need your advice and counselling

Am about to switch my Program to Diploma in Nursing in the same school, its a two years program,but there is a 30weeks prehealth program to be done before starting the course

My initial program is 2years duration, please with the prehealth program and 2 years diploma, it will exceed 2 years

Will it be possible for me to extend my STUDY PERMIT?

Will I still be eligible for the 3years PGWP?

My passport will be expiring mid 2024,will I be allowed to renew my passport and also extend my study permit?

Please how do I go about,Answers needed PLEASE

Yes to all your questions.

As for the last paragraph, I leave that to you to figure it out.

Their website will be a place to start as all the answers to your questions are pretty much there.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by gretop86: 7:47pm On Jan 02, 2023
Eyegroup:

I have good skills in IT...i'm a programmer... Just good agent that can help me. .what research agent will I do is not easy bri
Bro stop trying so hard. A programmer that can’t do a research? How did you even become a programmer? Stop constituting nuisance here. Go to Canada Express entry thread for your research.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Alchemist01: 9:02pm On Jan 02, 2023
Is there anybody in Oshawa here or anybody that resides close to Oshawa?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by TheHamzy: 9:11pm On Jan 02, 2023
Congratulations �

einsteino:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by maziude: 12:16am On Jan 03, 2023
Eyegroup:
Please who can help come to Canada please

cic.gc.ca

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (622) (623) (624) (625) (626) (627) (628) ... (714) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.