Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,190 members, 7,815,150 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:15 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (628) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2188085 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (625) (626) (627) (628) (629) (630) (631) ... (713) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Vintaged: 8:55pm On Jan 18, 2023
Lolade30:
Dear family, I'm looking for a rental in South east/west Edmonton from the 1st of March. Two bedrooms. Anyone who has a contact or any advice on how to go about this would be appreciated.
Thank you

You can check Tamarack Heights in South East Edmonton. It's a new complex and they should still have lots of vacant suites available. It's opposite Walmart, close to Superstore and other amenities. Also very close to the transit center.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by MarrisCoco: 7:35am On Jan 19, 2023
ednut1:
i don't know about student visa but for PR your visa validity is usually tied to your medical validity date or few days after it unless they maybe extend it.
Thank you…
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by MarrisCoco: 7:47am On Jan 19, 2023
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by PruGreat: 2:03pm On Jan 19, 2023
Maggiespecial:

I heard they don't have hospital
That's my main concern

Have you considered Calgary? Except you have very pressing reasons to move to Aidrie (friends or cheaper houses).
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by PruGreat: 2:06pm On Jan 19, 2023
njambert:

How's Airdrie? That's exactly where I'm looking to move to with my family next year.

Quiet, Neat, and early morning + closing time traffic to and fro Calgary. Houses were cheaper there last year but prices are dropping in Calgary already.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by njambert: 10:11pm On Jan 19, 2023
PruGreat:

Quiet, Neat, and early morning + closing time traffic to and fro Calgary. Houses were cheaper there last year but prices are dropping in Calgary already.

Thanks for your reply.Would you recommend it for a start for newcomers? I've been doing alot of research and I'm mostly choosing for its cheaper homes both for renting and buying.And I'm hoping commuting to and fro isn't too far from Calgary Downtown as I plan to open a business and don't want to be very far from immigrant population
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AirBay: 4:16am On Jan 20, 2023
njambert:

Thanks for your reply.Would you recommend it for a start for newcomers? I've been doing alot of research and I'm mostly choosing for its cheaper homes both for renting and buying.And I'm hoping commuting to and fro isn't too far from Calgary Downtown as I plan to open a business and don't want to be very far from immigrant population

Depends on the time.

Usually 30-50mins drive depending on your location in Airdrie and downtown Calgary. It can be up to 1hour or more, lots of traffic on that route especially in the evening.

Immigrants are everywhere...Downtown Calgary, NW, SW, SE, NE....Airdrie Inclusive.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by olalekan9320(m): 5:58am On Jan 20, 2023
njambert:

Move to Calgary, the difference in rent doesn't worth it. It's like "Mowe to Lagos". Just my opinion sha

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by PruGreat: 12:04pm On Jan 20, 2023
njambert:

Just like those above me have said, if being close to immigrants is the main propeller to move to Airdrie, then you have more reasons to stay in Calgary.

When I was renting, my rent was cheaper here in Calgary than a comparable unit in Airdrie. I also spent less time commuting and do not think of evening hold-ups. And when buying a house, they don't build or sell for emotions, you get what you pay for, and you'll get something within your budget in Calgary.

Welcome in advance.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Prablessed: 2:17pm On Jan 20, 2023
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Prablessed: 2:22pm On Jan 20, 2023
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by REDBULL1(m): 5:20pm On Jan 20, 2023
lightswitch007:
don't ask them. they can over charge you. just visit https://www.tdinsurance.com/ and get an instant quote and if you're ok with the quote you can proceed to confirming your insurance and make payment.

Awesome. Thanks buddy

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by njambert: 9:57pm On Jan 20, 2023
PruGreat:

Just like those above me have said, if being close to immigrants is the main propeller to move to Airdrie, then you have more reasons to stay in Calgary.

When I was renting, my rent was cheaper here in Calgary than a comparable unit in Airdrie. I also spent less time commuting and do not think of evening hold-ups. And when buying a house, they don't build or sell for emotions, you get what you pay for, and you'll get something within your budget in Calgary.

Welcome in advance.

Thank you so much. Which areas of Calgary would you suggest for settlement? Young family of 3.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by sisicanada: 11:15pm On Jan 20, 2023
Hello All,
A big shoutout to everyone giving tips to assist new immigrant. You guys are doing a Fantastic Job
Please I have some question, I will be travelling in March and need clarity on some things before Landing.

1) On my COPR, I have ottawa as city of destination. I remeber picking this location while filling one of the forms
but I did not know it would eventually reflect. My question is, Must OTTAWA be the city i land in? I was considering toronto
But I do not Know if I would be questioned at Point Of Entry on why I am not arriving at the destination stated on my COPR.

2) Has anyone travelled using KLM recently, I will like o know how much an extra luggage cost in Naira.
I tried to pay for an extra luggage online but I am unable to do this. I got a notification saying I can only
make payment prior to checkin at the airport.

3)Has anyone used the Prearrival services provided by the canadian government, If Yes please how well did it work for you?
I am considering using BCCA in order to get a Business Analyst Job.

4)Please can someone shed more light on the attached screenshot( I have a connevting Flight from TORONTO PEARSON to OTTAWA, does this mean that my baggages will be re-checked before boarding my Flight to OTTAWA)

5)Finally, if you reside or have resided in ottawa in the Past, what area can you recommend that has easy commute. I do not intend getting a car until after 6month at least to be stable. I am looking at staying in an area that has easy access to buses.

I will really appreciate your responses. Thank you all

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by PruGreat: 1:53am On Jan 21, 2023
njambert:

Thank you so much. Which areas of Calgary would you suggest for settlement? Young family of 3.

Sir, my answer will be "almost" anywhere. Your Lifestyle and preferences (nearness to a particular kind of school, nearness to your office, fair public transportation access) will be the major determinants.

Let me add that there is a large population of Nigerians in the NW quadrant, just incase you'll love to have the "home" feeling or play Saturday morning soccer in summer.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by sirabbey(m): 2:45am On Jan 21, 2023
sisicanada:
Hello All,
A big shoutout to everyone giving tips to assist new immigrant. You guys are doing a Fantastic Job
Please I have some question, I will be travelling in March and need clarity on some things before Landing.

1) On my COPR, I have ottawa as city of destination. I remeber picking this location while filling one of the forms
but I did not know it would eventually reflect. My question is, Must OTTAWA be the city i land in? I was considering toronto
But I do not Know if I would be questioned at Point Of Entry on why I am not arriving at the destination stated on my COPR.

You can land at any city of your choice in Canada. You will have no issues at all whatsoever. I filled Edmonton and landed in Calgary without no issues.

2) Has anyone travelled using KLM recently, I will like o know how much an extra luggage cost in Naira.
I tried to pay for an extra luggage online but I am unable to do this. I got a notification saying I can only

You will pay more at the airport. Last April an extra luggage of 23Kg cost about 56K at the airport, that price will be close to double by now.

3)Has anyone used the Prearrival services provided by the canadian government, If Yes please how well did it work for you?

No idea about BCCA but there are a lot of BA groups in Canada that you can join and get guidance. It will be easier for you if you can study, write and pass IIBA CBAP examination before coming. The Certificate will immediately put you on the Canadian BA map and in front of recruiters

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 4:07pm On Jan 21, 2023
https://www.ontario.ca/page/ontario-learn-and-stay-grant?utm_term=media&utm_source=newsroom&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=%2Fen%2Frelease%2F1002652%2Fontario-expanding-learn-and-stay-grant-to-train-more-health-care-workers#section-4 For those in Ontario who want to enter nursing
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by House34: 4:20pm On Jan 21, 2023
ednut1:
https://www.ontario.ca/page/ontario-learn-and-stay-grant?utm_term=media&utm_source=newsroom&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=%2Fen%2Frelease%2F1002652%2Fontario-expanding-learn-and-stay-grant-to-train-more-health-care-workers#section-4 For those in Ontario who want to enter nursing

Thanks for sharing,study without student loan..this sweet information..l go enter nursing sharp,sharp to backup my IT job ,this mass job drop in Tech world and with greater AI Tools come ahead .l dey fear
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by aestake: 4:23pm On Jan 21, 2023
House34:

Thanks for sharing,study without student loan..this sweet information..l go enter nursing sharp,sharp to backup my IT job ,this mass job drop in Tech world and with greater AI Tools come ahead .l dey fear
I'm doing that now.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by adeleks: 7:12pm On Jan 21, 2023
Lolade30:
Dear family, I'm looking for a rental in South east/west Edmonton from the 1st of March. Two bedrooms. Anyone who has a contact or any advice on how to go about this would be appreciated.
Thank you
Check Facebook market place. Choose location appropriately
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by adeleks: 7:24pm On Jan 21, 2023
nixymax:
_Hello everyone, and happy new year!_

A room in a 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom apartment, fully furnished, is available for rent to a prospective female occupant.

*Location*: Around Westmount, NW, Edmonton Alberta.

*Perks*: Proximity to bus station [walking distance to Westmount Transit Centre], easy bus routes, walking distance to major grocery stores, and very centrally located.

*Rental period*: 7 months

*Security deposit*: $250

*Monthly rent*: $650 [All bills inclusive]

*Move in date*: February 1st, 2023

Important things to note:
>> No pets �
>> No smoking �
>> Be neat and peaceful �
>> You will have to get your own mattress �

Interested
Please, text or chat on WhatsApp:

Thank you.
Adugbo mi... Nice neighbourhood

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AZeD1(m): 12:01am On Jan 22, 2023
sisicanada:
Hello All,
5)Finally, if you reside or have resided in ottawa in the Past, what area can you recommend that has easy commute. I do not intend getting a car until after 6month at least to be stable. I am looking at staying in an area that has easy access to buses.

Easy commute to where?
There would most likely be a bus stop 10 mins or less from the house but if you leave in the East end and need to commute to the West end, it would most likely take you 2 hours.

To properly answer the easy commute question, we need to know the destination.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by sisicanada: 6:48am On Jan 22, 2023
Thank you for your responce @AZeD1, I wanted to just find out How easy it is to getting a bus and the location(s) in which that would be possible. But in general it seems from your response, I can easily get a bus to commute anywhere. It just takes longer to navigate from the East end to West End? Please correct me incase I am wrong about what I have mentioned
AZeD1:

Easy commute to where?
There would most likely be a bus stop 10 mins or less from the house but if you leave in the East end and need to commute to the West end, it would most likely take you 2 hours.

To properly answer the easy commute question, we need to know the destination.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by sisicanada: 7:02am On Jan 22, 2023
Thank you so much for your answers @sirabbey, The challenge I am having now is that I can not process an online payment for an extra Luggage. I keep getting the prompt to do so at the airport on KLM website and my agent also confirmed to me that I can only make payment at the airport prior to check in[quote author=sirabbey post=120237292][/quote]
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by onegig(m): 7:16am On Jan 22, 2023
sisicanada:
Hello All,

4)Please can someone shed more light on the attached screenshot( I have a connevting Flight from TORONTO PEARSON to OTTAWA, does this mean that my baggages will be re-checked before boarding my Flight to OTTAWA)

Careful with KLM. Confirm their routes. If they are stopping at Amsterdam you might need a transit visa.

For Ottawa housing or transit. Very subjective. You might have at worst a 15 minutes walk to a bus stop but most areas have an average of 10mins or lower. If you are concerned about grocery runs and malls. There's always a store nearby which can be accessed with 1 or 2 buses although much easier to walk to if you are around downtown. Also housing always depends on your budget and where you work. Perhaps you have a job now. if you can give the office area, it would be much easier to advise.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Paulmobo: 9:30am On Jan 22, 2023
Hi guys, good day.

I’m new on this thread and just recently got my study permit application approved. I’ll be coming to Canada in July for my program in canadore college north bay Ontario which begins in September 2023. Please I’d appreciate any advice, help, information or connect from anyone currently in north bay with regards to securing an accommodation, transportation and the whole scenery in general.

Kindly assist a brother, cheers guys.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by PaulAris: 10:40am On Jan 22, 2023
Hi, @justwise
Happy Sunday, chief

Please on what thread can I find someone into imports from Canada to Lagos
I’’my trying to bring in some items from Calgary down here

Thanks as I anticipate your response
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by VicSanTROUBLE: 11:30am On Jan 22, 2023
Good morning,

I’m planning on applying for a study visa, but I don’t have any cheap university in mind, where I can get part time job. Trying to see if I would relocate with my fiancé and get a room accommodation. Please I need your advice for choice of university and as newcomer, environment that is warmer and less costly for accommodation.
We have saved enough money, but I just don’t want to make a wrong decision. Thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 1:01pm On Jan 22, 2023
VicSanTROUBLE:
Good morning,

I’m planning on applying for a study visa, but I don’t have any cheap university in mind, where I can get part time job. Trying to see if I would relocate with my fiancé and get a room accommodation. Please I need your advice for choice of university and as newcomer, environment that is warmer and less costly for accommodation.
We have saved enough money, but I just don’t want to make a wrong decision. Thank you
why not google cheap universities in Canada. You want to travel on student visa , not with enough funds and still talking about fiancé. You expect someone to rent a room meant for one person for a couple also. Una no go kill person for the forum grin . the thread below is for student visa.

https://www.nairaland.com/7255452/canadian-student-visa-thread-part
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Skibochi75: 5:24am On Jan 23, 2023
njambert:

NW and SW are generally good. Calgary is overall a very decent city. Avoid a few areas in the NE like Rundle, Marlborough and Forest Lawn which overlaps into the SE.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Weezybaby: 6:03am On Jan 23, 2023
One bed and private bath in a shared apartment condo at Etobicoke, Toronto available in March for a 2 month period with possible extension. Contact for details ( preferably male). Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by hayoBams: 8:35pm On Jan 23, 2023
Good day everyone in just arrived to Canada last year December and please I’m I need of a job j can do anything.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (625) (626) (627) (628) (629) (630) (631) ... (713) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.