Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,130 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:45 AM

Australia Open 2019 Thread - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Australia Open 2019 Thread (15663 Views)

This Fine Lady May Miss 2022 Australia Open / Naomi Osaka Wins Australia Open; Becomes World No 1 (Photo) / 2017 Australia Open: Caroline Wozniaki Wins Her First Grand Slam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by bigpicture001: 9:18pm On Jan 15, 2019
From.djokovic's suprised lose to bust a augusta at the brisbane semi's it's clear he won't win the years maiden grand slam!
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by CivilianJTF(m): 9:18pm On Jan 15, 2019
Oya
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by 21Bandit: 9:27pm On Jan 15, 2019
rychard:
How can you call names without mentioning ;

Nishikori, Kachanov, Verdasco, Zverez, Medvedev, Anderson, Raonic,

For rising star Opelka is the man for me , forget Alex D. Alex won't last 3 rounds against Opelka.

Simon Halep and Venus may not survive the second round.

Rising star female for me is : Andrescu Bianca and Dayana
Op thanks for the tip....no man is an island of knowledge ...
Let's analyze your picks kie is good fast on hard court can survive the crushing heat....but mind you times like this you need a good defense to route out points when you play other top players.... samurai can he survived with the likes elite.....the two Russians med and Karan are good lads...I prefer Karen cause his forehand is something to be reckoned with.....as for Alex Anderson and Milos they yet to win a grand slam but they still on the list.....lemme bring the female folks in
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by 21Bandit: 9:28pm On Jan 15, 2019
Dpharisee:
Victoria Azarenka was a mess loosing her first game and that cost me a lot

But I think Serena has a good chance of grabbing it, though her tight fit attire is getting more publicity than her game
Is Australia open bro....all eyes on the queen....she is a beauty both in game play and body
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by 21Bandit: 9:29pm On Jan 15, 2019
abdulazeez1002:
Like if you do not know what the Op is talking aboutgrin

Nor be by false to understand Na......
All I know sey every open Na confirmation for my aza
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by 21Bandit: 9:31pm On Jan 15, 2019
InMyOpinion:
mmmm..nice to know there;'s a Tennis community on NL. Nice thread

I think the Men's single's still btw Federer and Djokovic
Female Single is very open -

I do go to Court somethings to practice....
For me after soccer is tennis then basketball...

You should watch out for big servers too bro
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by neutonbabs20(m): 9:46pm On Jan 15, 2019
21Bandit:

I do go to Court somethings to practice....
For me after soccer is tennis then basketball...

You should watch out for big servers too bro

yeah.
isner has the biggest serve but painfully lost in first round.Tho it was by little margins.Cos most of the sets went to tie breakers
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by peteromakay(m): 9:50pm On Jan 15, 2019
any acc game to play
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by 21Bandit: 9:50pm On Jan 15, 2019
Australia open.... Let's look at top 5 women for the title

1. The Favorite
Angelique Kerber

Nationality: German

World ranking: 2

Australian Open best: Winner (2016)

Titles: 12 (3 grand slams)

Although the second favourite with the bookmakers - to Serena Williams - Kerber looks like the woman to beat.

She has positive memories from winning her first major title at the Australian Open three years ago, and is the reigning Wimbledon champion. Superb movement and athleticism make Kerber extremely hard to beat.

2. The QUEEN
Serena Williams

Nationality: American

World ranking: 16

Australian Open best: Winner (2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2015, 2017)

Titles: 72 (23 grand slams)

On her last visit to Melbourne, Williams won a seventh Australian Open title while pregnant. Now she is bidding to equal Margaret Court's record of 24 grand -slam titles by winning her first major as a mother.

3. The DARK HORSE
Ash Barty

Nationality: Australian

World ranking: 15

Australian Open best: Third round (2017, 2018)

Titles: 3

The home favourite would make for an extremely popular champion, and not just because of her nationality.

Regarded as one of the friendliest players on the tour, Barty also plays extremely watchable tennis - full of spin and angles. Her defeat of world No. 1 Simona Halep in Sydney on Wednesday suggests she is primed to cause an upset or two.

4. FEMALE SAMURAI

Osaka Naomi

Nationality: Japan

World ranking: 4

Australia open best: Fourth round (2018)

Okay as you all know my love for Osaka is beyond compare...all money on my crush to win the title...she is strong, good forehand, can sits deep and heat powerful strokes, very aggressive, mentally strong....last year was lit she redefine the game....and am hoping she starts this year with a australia open title and to add she is one of the hottest young starts around....

5. Sabalenka Aryna

Nationality: Belarus

World ranking: 11

Australia open best: newbie.

WTA titles: 3

Okay the name might sound new but mind you if you a keen fan of tennis saba is a force to be reckoned with...she made me so much money last year so much...she tops my list caused she is a deep fighter she fights for every point and she has that you can't break me mental strength........

Well we still have sharapova.. Canada new love Bianca and last year winner Wozniacki Caroline the wolf.....and muguruza and halep too
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by 21Bandit: 9:52pm On Jan 15, 2019
neutonbabs20:

yeah.
isner has the biggest serve but painfully lost in first round.Tho it was by little margins.Cos most of the sets went to tie breakers
Isner played his future self.... opelka is something else remind me of doctor ivo karlovic
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by sholay2011(m): 9:56pm On Jan 15, 2019
bigpicture001:
From.djokovic's suprised lose to bust a augusta at the brisbane semi's it's clear he won't win the years maiden grand slam!
Yimu...you will see. wink
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by sholay2011(m): 9:57pm On Jan 15, 2019
21Bandit:
Australia open.... Let's look at top 5 women for the title

1. The Favorite
Angelique Kerber

Nationality: German

World ranking: 2

Australian Open best: Winner (2016)

Titles: 12 (3 grand slams)

Although the second favourite with the bookmakers - to Serena Williams - Kerber looks like the woman to beat.

She has positive memories from winning her first major title at the Australian Open three years ago, and is the reigning Wimbledon champion. Superb movement and athleticism make Kerber extremely hard to beat.

2. The QUEEN
Serena Williams

Nationality: American

World ranking: 16

Australian Open best: Winner (2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2015, 2017)

Titles: 72 (23 grand slams)

On her last visit to Melbourne, Williams won a seventh Australian Open title while pregnant. Now she is bidding to equal Margaret Court's record of 24 grand -slam titles by winning her first major as a mother.

3. The DARK HORSE
Ash Barty

Nationality: Australian

World ranking: 15

Australian Open best: Third round (2017, 2018)

Titles: 3

The home favourite would make for an extremely popular champion, and not just because of her nationality.

Regarded as one of the friendliest players on the tour, Barty also plays extremely watchable tennis - full of spin and angles. Her defeat of world No. 1 Simona Halep in Sydney on Wednesday suggests she is primed to cause an upset or two.

4. FEMALE SAMURAI

Osaka Naomi

Nationality: Japan

World ranking: 4

Australia open best: Fourth round (2018)

Okay as you all know my love for Osaka is beyond compare...all money on my crush to win the title...she is strong, good forehand, can sits deep and heat powerful strokes, very aggressive, mentally strong....last year was lit she redefine the game....and am hoping she starts this year with a australia open title and to add she is one of the hottest young starts around....

5. Sabalenka Aryna

Nationality: Belarus

World ranking: 11

Australia open best: newbie.

WTA titles: 3

Okay the name might sound new but mind you if you a keen fan of tennis saba is a force to be reckoned with...she made me so much money last year so much...she tops my list caused she is a deep fighter she fights for every point and she has that you can't break me mental strength........

Well we still have sharapova.. Canada new love Bianca and last year winner Wozniacki Caroline the wolf.....and muguruza and halep too
Learn to acknowledge the source where you posted this info from.

1 Like

Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by Tloc(m): 9:57pm On Jan 15, 2019
sholay2011:
Didn't know there is a tennis community on NL. I am watching this tournament like crazy.

Rooting for Djokovic (the best ever for me, not Federer) and Serena. But there are lots of ways things can go, especially for the ladies' draw: Naomi Osaka, Aryna Sabalenka, Petra Kvitova, Angelique Kerber, Sloane Stephens etc.

Nigerian American Whitney Osuigwe was beaten today.

1 Like

Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by bigpicture001: 9:58pm On Jan 15, 2019
sholay2011:

Yimu...you will see. wink

Am pretty sure abt dix. am a tennis addict
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by 21Bandit: 10:02pm On Jan 15, 2019
Tloc:

Nigerian American Whitney Osuigwe was beaten today.
Bianca was too strong for her....
The class was seen despite Bianca having to cope with a back pain for the second and third set....

This 18 years got me glued.
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by Tloc(m): 10:12pm On Jan 15, 2019
21Bandit:

Bianca was too strong for her....
The class was seen despite Bianca having to cope with a back pain for the second and third set....

This 18 years got me glued.

Whitney at 17 still has much to learn to peak as the likes of Venus, Serena and wobbly Sloane Stephens.
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by sholay2011(m): 10:15pm On Jan 15, 2019
bigpicture001:

Am pretty sure abt dix. am a tennis addict
It's not about being a tennis addict bros grin

It's about seeing into the future. tongue Go Djoker!
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by sholay2011(m): 10:17pm On Jan 15, 2019
Tloc:

Whitney at 17 still has much to learn to peak as the likes of Venus, Serena and wobbly Sloane Stephens.
True...but Serena won her first Grand Slam at 18 sha.
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by 21Bandit: 10:50pm On Jan 15, 2019
Second round Matches to look out for

Men

Nishioka yoshihito vs khachanov Karen

Japanese progeny nsishi we battle with the big lad from Russia.....nishioka is a very fast player like kei good at long ralley his return its is strength but will it be enough to see off big server Karen who has a very good strong hand and also loves to finish his opponent in due time...

Monfils Gael vs Fritz Taylor..

Not much to be said here..gael is still a shadow of himself..if needs to go through to the second round he needs to concentrate on his return cause fritz is a player who loves hitting it on first serve and gets better with his return points.

Berdych Tomas vs hasse Robin

World number 57 vs world number 58....Tomas should I say birdman is on form like on fire form breezing over Marco, verdasco, and Herbert in Doha....tomas has reenergized himself with a odd of 1.14 seems the bookie trust him enough to see off never serious Robin.

You can add yours
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by spacks(m): 10:56pm On Jan 15, 2019
Tips for our guys @ the other thread.. I will just pick and analyse favourite names mentioned here , both male and female giving me an acca to stake on wink

Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by iceberg54: 11:04pm On Jan 15, 2019
sholay2011:

True...but Serena won her first Grand Slam at 18 sha.

But Serena is different...lol

That woman is something else

1 Like

Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by Pedrocross4568(m): 11:13pm On Jan 15, 2019
#teamFedereralltheway
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by koyeni(m): 11:26pm On Jan 15, 2019
wink
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by Ovie56(m): 11:37pm On Jan 15, 2019
bigpicture001:
yeah you'll say that, it wasn't a surprise tho as he was struggling and going to 3rd set against opponents that ain't worth it thru out that tourney but make no mistake if he is not affected by the Tennis politics going right now he'll clinch it, this is his favourite Hunting ground for slam
i just wish he'd resign from his position as president of players council

1 Like

Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by neutonbabs20(m): 11:54pm On Jan 15, 2019
Maria sharapova is going to win for the females
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by neutonbabs20(m): 11:56pm On Jan 15, 2019
Maria sharapova is going to win for the females.Shes back for the slam.not expecting much from osaka tho.And kerber is gonna reach the finals

1 Like

Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by Tloc(m): 12:04am On Jan 16, 2019
neutonbabs20:
Maria's fire would soon burn out. She doesn't always go beyond the fourth round. Age is telling on her. My favorite of all time though.
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by sholay2011(m): 12:36am On Jan 16, 2019
neutonbabs20:
What?! grin grin grin
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by 21Bandit: 12:44am On Jan 16, 2019
neutonbabs20:
Lol brotha which leaf you dey on
Nor me sey Na Arizona o
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by zoomman(m): 12:46am On Jan 16, 2019
InMyOpinion:
mmmm..nice to know there;'s a Tennis community on NL. Nice thread

I think the Men's single's still btw Federer and Djokovic
Female Single is very open -
Djokovic versus Zverev....dream final for me.....
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by 21Bandit: 12:53am On Jan 16, 2019
zoomman:

Djokovic versus Zverev....dream final for me.....
Last time they played zverev destroy djokovic in straight 2 set......Sasha for the tittle
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by neutonbabs20(m): 1:18am On Jan 16, 2019
Tloc:

Maria's fire would soon burn out. She doesn't always go beyond the fourth round. Age is telling on her. My favorite of all time though.

She's going beyond that this year.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Arsenal's Alexandre Lacazette Offered to Barcelona, Atletico Madrid and Juventus / Ohale Scores, Oshoala, Chikwelu In Action As Barca Edge Madrid / Femi Kuti To Perform At AFCON 2019 Opening Ceremony

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.