Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,985 members, 7,814,356 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:36 AM

Australia Open 2019 Thread - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Australia Open 2019 Thread (15655 Views)

This Fine Lady May Miss 2022 Australia Open / Naomi Osaka Wins Australia Open; Becomes World No 1 (Photo) / 2017 Australia Open: Caroline Wozniaki Wins Her First Grand Slam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by bigpicture001: 5:37pm On Jan 16, 2019
Ovie56:
Baba that will soon be knocked out

He is now in 3rd round
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by Ovie56(m): 5:51pm On Jan 16, 2019
bigpicture001:
He is now in 3rd round
So?
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by 21Bandit: 8:01pm On Jan 16, 2019
Second round was pack with so much sauce and upset

5th seed Kevin Anderson was the Major upset for men after losing 3-1 to USA tiafoe Francis....well Anderson wasn't on his A game tho... elsewhere women 29 seed vekic Donna bow out to 20years old Australia sensational birrell Kimberly 1-2.. vekic lost it in the third set after she was broken twice...the crowd was behind Kimberly all through the game...never underestimate a home player grin grin.
We also see 9th seed bertens kiki crash out to French power house pavy Anastasia in a 3 set thriller and a 3.2 winning odd...it was quite easy for the others Garcia Carolina, Sloane Stephens, barty Ashleigh, kerber Angelique, Maria sharapova, Wozniacki Caroline, sabalenka Aryna all ease through to the third round in straight two sets.

Australia new gun Alex de MINAUR have to fight deep to win Switzerland laaksonen henri 3-2 after dropping 3 and 4 set before he bounce back to win in the 5th set 6-3...the young boy is carrying the Australia flag high after the likes of nick,eden failed to live to their expectations.

Nadal and king Federer ease through with both winning straight 3 set...well for king Federer ot wasn't quite easy after British Evans Daniel prove to be a hard nut to crack, hold king to two tie breaks before giving up in the third set...men evans got some skills too.

Steppi Andreas, berdych Tomas, verdasco Fernando cruise to the third round in straight 3 set winning, mind you these 3 are 32+ old... seems all these old men still get juice ooo...

Click Marin, baby Federer ie dimitrov grigor,fritz Taylor and bautista agut Fernando all through too.... Fritz did impressed me alot after seeing off French old swagger boy monfils Gael in a five set thriller, 4 good tiebreakers out of 5 set...my boy Fritz did gave me good money today while for bautista it was a roller coaster also needing 5 set to dribble pass Australia own boy Millman John...see me forgetting my Argentine Diego Schwartzman who dig deep to win USA kudla Dennis in a 5 set thriller also...Diego was impressive despite him not your normal Harcourt player.....

More preview loading

1 Like

Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by sholay2011(m): 8:33pm On Jan 16, 2019
Ovie56:
Baba that will soon be knocked out
Somebody say amen. cheesy
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by Ovie56(m): 10:30pm On Jan 16, 2019
sholay2011:

Somebody say amen. cheesy
lol my predictions is just based on recent results, shanghai, paris , atp finals the worst of all is Us open that he lost to souza, i think baba may be tired jare, but then again he's the most experienced not to mention his legendary status
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by 21Bandit: 10:54pm On Jan 16, 2019
Last second round games to watch

My top 5 pick

Wawrinka stan vs raonic Milos
Stan the man will have a hard time with big server Milos...Milos has been incredibly some far so good picking o good wins before this grand slam at 1.25 value I see Milos destroying stan the man in a 3+ sets... giving that Milos might relalax in a set to gather his energy...but I don't see stan breaking Milos more than 3 times in this game....and if is tiebreak all money will be on Milos..

Karlovic ivo vs nishikori kei
Well the 1.13 odd for Japanese samurai sounds deceiving cause doctor is someone you don't just break without sweating..am seeing a tough tight here for Ivo despite him loosing 2-0 in h2h the 39 years old might be playing his last AO so I expect him to go for it...my pick +7.5 games for karlovic ivo.

Fogini Fabio vs Mayer Leonardo
The Italian is known for his ability to pull out epic wins against top players too considering that he is also a top player.. against Mayer, he will have to be patient cause Mayer service game is top notch and considering that Mayer has won the last two games in their h2h I see Mayer giving it is all but Fabio can't be trusted...my pick a set for Mayer will do.

Goffin David vs copil Marius
The Belgium star will be looking to battle the ace hitter from Romania.h2h favors goffin but with a odd of 1.25 for goffin I thinks the bookies want to play a fast one on us... my pick copil Marius to win a set or 7.5+ games for him...pretty risky but copil can break his opponent and his good with his service game and a good tiebreaker player.

Halep Simona vs kenin Sofia
Hmmmmm world no 1 my old Time crush halep baby Battles USA progeny Sofia who has a good run of form..well it might be a tough match but halep got too much sauce for Sofia....watching her come back against pliskova in 2017 Roland garrios shows that she possesses one of the greatest mental strength in grand slams for women...my pick halep will pounce on Sofia big time and with a 1.32 odd makes it fun to put my Money on.

Please add yours
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by sholay2011(m): 11:42pm On Jan 16, 2019
Serena vs Bouchard

Venus vs Cornet
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by FBS: 1:32am On Jan 17, 2019
21Bandit:

The new gun can't last four set against king of clay

He (Alex DM) will likely be playing for the experience. Nadal is not here to "play" at all. He means business. cheesy
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by chewbacca: 1:34am On Jan 17, 2019
grin

4 Likes

Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by FBS: 1:35am On Jan 17, 2019
Wawrinka stan vs raonic Milos - I don't want to miss this one. Wanna see what Milos can do.

1 Like

Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by FBS: 3:19am On Jan 17, 2019
1st set
Wawrinka 7 - 6 Raonic

1 Like

Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by FBS: 4:25am On Jan 17, 2019
Stan on Fire. See backhand @132kph. Wot!

Milos in trouble but certainly still in the game. Close. So close.
Second set 5-5

1 Like

Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by FBS: 7:12am On Jan 17, 2019
This is serious tennis.
Stan vs Milos
7 -6 6-7 6-7 6-6 (tie break)

Meanwhile Osaka just dey sweep people aside. W.icked girl grin

1 Like

Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by mannatech: 7:21am On Jan 17, 2019
FBS:
This is serious tennis.
Stan vs Milos
7 -6 6-7 6-7 6-6 (tie break)

Meanwhile Osaka just dey sweep people aside. W.icked girl grin
If she catch Serena again,
Na retirement she go send mama go
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by FBS: 7:27am On Jan 17, 2019
Milos done did it. Wow! I thought win over Nick K was nothing serious and was in trouble today but somehow got through the line.

Good Tennis here.
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by 21Bandit: 7:35am On Jan 17, 2019
FBS:
Milos done did it. Wow! I thought win over Nick K was nothing serious and was in trouble today but somehow got through the line.

Good Tennis here.
Pure class from Milos....the 4 set he was too fit...that's why he was hitting the ball with so much pace which left stan the man gabbing for breath...

David goffin vs copil Marius is getting interesting
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by mannatech: 7:54am On Jan 17, 2019
21Bandit:

Pure class from Milos....the 4 set he was too fit...that's why he was hitting the ball with so much pace which left stan the man gabbing for breath...

It's getting really interesting.

Separating the contenders from the pretenders
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by FBS: 8:04am On Jan 17, 2019
mannatech:

If she catch Serena again,
Na retirement she go send mama go
lol. It will be tough but Serena will be more than ready this time.

But that girl badt. She rarely smile on the pitch. So cold. cheesy
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by mannatech: 8:26am On Jan 17, 2019
FBS:

lol. It will be tough but Serena will be more than ready this time.

But that girl badt. See rarely smile on the pitch. So cold. cheesy
Very very shy during interviews and press conferences.

But on the court, she means business

1 Like

Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by iceberg54: 10:50am On Jan 17, 2019
Who's watching Gilles Simon vs Alex Bolt?

Touch match. Now in the fifth set.
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by 21Bandit: 10:53am On Jan 17, 2019
iceberg54:
Who's watching Gilles Simon vs Alex Bolt?

Touch match. Now in the fifth set.
Bolt has charged up....
Much love from the crowd
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by FBS: 11:16am On Jan 17, 2019
21Bandit:

I disagree. It was closer than that, tiebreak after tiebreak. Could have gone either way. Milos though yeah, looks fit and ready to go. No sme sme.
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by iceberg54: 11:18am On Jan 17, 2019
21Bandit:

Bolt has charged up....
Much love from the crowd

Yep.

Bolt wins..
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by FBS: 11:22am On Jan 17, 2019
21Bandit:

Bolt has charged up....
Much love from the crowd
The crowd is amazing. Unbelievable atmosphere. Managed to get through the 4th set then went on to win the match. Wow. Best win of his career.
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by iceberg54: 11:29am On Jan 17, 2019
FBS:

The crowd is amazing. Unbelievable atmosphere. Managed to get through the 4th set then went on to win the match. Wow. Best win of his career.

Well said bro...

Bouchard vs Serena next..

1 Like

Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by 21Bandit: 11:29am On Jan 17, 2019
FBS:

I disagree. It was closer than that, tiebreak after tiebreak. Could have gone either way. Milos though yeah, looks fit and ready to go. No sme sme.
He got slow on his movement on the 4th set that's why he focus on his service game
..Stan on a normal day can't face Milos
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by FBS: 11:31am On Jan 17, 2019
iceberg54:

Well said bro...

Bouchard vs Serena next..
1st set
2 - 6
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by FBS: 11:32am On Jan 17, 2019
21Bandit:

He got slow on his movement on the 4th set that's why he focus on his service game
..Stan on a normal day can't face Milos
His service is brutal. Ace after ace.
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by iceberg54: 11:42am On Jan 17, 2019
FBS:

1st set
2 - 6

Yes boss
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by FBS: 12:03pm On Jan 17, 2019
Coming up next...

Novak vs Tsonga.
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by iceberg54: 12:19pm On Jan 17, 2019
FBS:
Coming up next...

Novak vs Tsonga.

Can't wait.

Serena destroyed Bouchard...

1 Like

Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by DarryOsh(m): 12:45pm On Jan 17, 2019
Serena means business.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Gov Wike Rewards Rivers United Players, Officials $20,000 Each / Super Eagles Threaten To Boycott Confederations Cup Over Bonus / Arsenal's Alexandre Lacazette Offered to Barcelona, Atletico Madrid and Juventus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.