Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,027 members, 7,810,835 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:33 PM

Australia Open 2019 Thread - Sports (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Australia Open 2019 Thread (15626 Views)

This Fine Lady May Miss 2022 Australia Open / Naomi Osaka Wins Australia Open; Becomes World No 1 (Photo) / 2017 Australia Open: Caroline Wozniaki Wins Her First Grand Slam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by FBS: 11:28am On Jan 18, 2019
Master and apprentice performance on display.
1-6 2-6 4-6 (same as last time out)

Game over.

The crowd is energized and active. Love it.

Alex take a bow son. You pushed Nadal in the last game and we appreciate that. Wow wow wow. A future star in the making.

1 Like

Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by FBS: 11:49am On Jan 18, 2019
Great interview by Nadal.

Now here comes one of my favorites Keber. Those Quads. My goodness. Some serious femoris muscle. Boy! No be small thing. Amazing. Probably doing squats every other day.

Anyways....this finished before it even started. 58 mins.

Birrell vs Keber

1-6 0-6

Happy Birthday Angie.

1 Like

Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by FBS: 1:33pm On Jan 18, 2019
Ladies and gentlemen, we might have an upset on the cards.

Verdasco (26th) on the verge of knocking out Cilic (6th seed)

Cilic vs Verdasco
4-6 3-6 6-1 5-6
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by FBS: 2:09pm On Jan 18, 2019
Well maybe not. Verdasco blew his chance, double fault serving for the match.

Cilic has his tails and wings up!

We are going into a 5th and final set.
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by iceberg54: 2:15pm On Jan 18, 2019
FBS:
Well maybe not. Verdasco blew his chance, double fault serving for the match.

Cilic has his tails and wings up!

We are going into a 5th and final set.

I think Cilic will win the 5th set. Great match
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by Ovie56(m): 2:19pm On Jan 18, 2019
FBS:

There was a reason why the issue was raised some years ago. It's a decibel not fit for human hearing. A freaking chainsaw noise. Wot! Besides, I never said I am but I'm pretty certain more than a million and many more will agree that it's an irritating noise. I make no apologies and none is required.
Only people who are there to make fun of Maria and Azarenka made it an issue , only non fans, it was never discussed as a problem facing tennis as a sport it was non issue to ITF and WTA most women make noise when they play and the number of spectators for her match hasn't been affected. and i think Victoria has some words for people like you

1 Like

Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by Ovie56(m): 2:35pm On Jan 18, 2019
PassingShot:

But her grunting is indeed childish and annoying nah
look at this one too, did you start watching Tennis this year ? Look for clips of maria when she was like 14 you'll see thats how she was trained or you think she shouts just for fun?

1 Like

Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by PassingShot(m): 8:49am On Jan 19, 2019
Ovie56:
look at this one too, did you start watching Tennis this year ? Look for clips of maria when she was like 14 you'll see thats how she was trained or you think she shouts just for fun?
It’s possible I’ve been watching tennis before you.

That Maria was trained to shriek or grunt to generate power doesn’t change the fact that many tennis fans find it irritating and detracting. I know she’s your fav but be reasonable please.
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by PassingShot(m): 8:58am On Jan 19, 2019
sholay2011:
Didn't know there is a tennis community on NL. I am watching this tournament like crazy.

Rooting for Djokovic (the best ever for me, not Federer) and Serena. But there are lots of ways things can go, especially for the ladies' draw: Naomi Osaka, Aryna Sabalenka, Petra Kvitova, Angelique Kerber, Sloane Stephens etc.

Lol at Djokovic being the best ever. If he even gets more grand slam trophies, he won’t be considered the best ever. To be the best ever, he needs to beat a lot of records set by the Great Roger some of which are untouchable.

1 Like

Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by Ovie56(m): 1:07pm On Jan 19, 2019
PassingShot:

It’s possible I’ve been watching tennis before you.

That Maria was trained to shriek or grunt to generate power doesn’t change the fact that many tennis fans find it irritating and detracting. I know she’s your fav but be reasonable please.
Being reasonable dictates that we all are entitled to appreciate and love different things like millions of Tennis fans that appreciate and love her play
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by Ovie56(m): 1:14pm On Jan 19, 2019
PassingShot:

Lol at Djokovic being the best ever. If he even gets more grand slam trophies, he won’t be considered the best ever. To be the best ever, he needs to beat a lot of records set by the Great Roger some of which are untouchable.
Believe me the only thing that can get in Novak's way of being the best ever is the grand slam count, currently without matching Fed's count he's got a claim in the best ever debate not to talk of matching the number, like Federer that you see as Untouchable there are also dozens of Novak's stand alone records
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by do4luv14(m): 1:37pm On Jan 19, 2019
Ovie56:
Believe me the only thing that can get in Novak's way of being the best ever is the grand slam count, currently without matching Fed's count he's got a claim in the best ever debate not to talk of matching the number, like Federer that you see as Untouchable there are also dozens of Novak's stand alone records

bros nah FEDEX you dey talk abi nah another FEDEX,

hmmmm
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by Ovie56(m): 1:40pm On Jan 19, 2019
do4luv14:

bros nah FEDEX you dey talk abi nah another FEDEX,

hmmmm
sorry I'm talking about Roger Federer, the one Novak has beaten plenty tiimes and the one that always develop down syndrome when playing against Nadal
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by do4luv14(m): 2:11pm On Jan 19, 2019
Ovie56:
sorry I'm talking about Roger Federer, the one Novak has beaten plenty tiimes and the one that always develop down syndrome when against Nadal

hahahaha you are funny man, very funny,

that's his nickname FEDEX, federer express,

and NOVEK will not come near him , not in count or any other
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by Ovie56(m): 2:29pm On Jan 19, 2019
do4luv14:

hahahaha you are funny man, very funny,

that's his nickname FEDEX, federer express,

and NOVEK will not come near him , not in count or any other
sorry bro stats don't lie he is ahead of Federer in many ways let me write few that i know
1. Head to head he leads 25-23
2. Atp 1000 master Title 32-27
3. Novak has the all-time prize money won record
4. Has Ranking points ever
5. He has won all the 1000 master tournaments making him the Golden masters Federer is still missing 2 events there are many more i just dont have the time
More than 50% of Fed's titles are Atp 250 and 500

I love Roger too but he's not untouchable Novak has beaten him on all courts including Fed's favorite and best surfaces he will even look less of a legend if i pit him against Nadal because of the embarrassing head 2 head count between them
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by sholay2011(m): 6:28pm On Jan 19, 2019
PassingShot:

Lol...I hope you know many of the records set by Djokovic are "untouchable" as well. You won't make that statement if only you know how close Djokovic is to many of these "untouchable" records.

Federer will remain the greatest as he has transcended the sport, but Djokovic in my opinion is the BEST.
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by toluxe0075: 9:20pm On Jan 19, 2019
sholay2011:

Lol...I hope you know many of the records set by Djokovic are "untouchable" as well. You won't make that statement if only you know how close Djokovic is to many of these "untouchable" records.

Federer will remain the greatest as he has transcended the sport, but Djokovic in my opinion is the BEST.
Grand Slam trophies determines the greatest and the best, Novak lags behind Rogers in that aspect.

2 Likes

Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by Ovie56(m): 10:24pm On Jan 19, 2019
lets leave the greatest of all time debate for now, this is Australian open thread and we are derailing but I'm just happy as Nadal and Fed are in the same half in the draw they get to meet at some point and Nadal will most likely annihilate Federer
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by sholay2011(m): 3:02am On Jan 20, 2019
toluxe0075:

Grand Slam trophies determines the greatest and the best, Novak lags behind Rogers in that aspect.
grin
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by 21Bandit: 6:29am On Jan 20, 2019
My favorite to win the WTA 2019 Australia open just crashed out...with USA Collins Danielle whooping 2 seed kerber Angelique 6-0 6-2.
This usa sensational is the real deal habeg....
Well my money was on her win a set but seems she wanted more....
Major upset in the fourth round

2 Likes

Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by senatordave1(m): 9:40am On Jan 20, 2019
Ovie56:
lets leave the greatest of all time debate for now, this is Australian open thread and we are derailing but I'm just happy as Nadal and Fed are in the same half in the draw they get to meet at some point and Nadal will most likely annihilate Federer
Nadal can only beat federal in the French open and not here
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by PassingShot(m): 9:48am On Jan 20, 2019
Ovie56:
Annihilate Roger? cool cool

Let's hope they meet.
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by PassingShot(m): 10:21am On Jan 20, 2019
Ovie56:
sorry bro stats don't lie he is ahead of Federer in many ways let me write few that i know
1. Head to head he leads 25-23
2. Atp 1000 master Title 32-27
3. Novak has the all-time prize money won record
4. Has Ranking points ever
5. He has won all the 1000 master tournaments making him the Golden masters Federer is still missing 2 events there are many more i just dont have the time
More than 50% of Fed's titles are Atp 250 and 500

I love Roger too but he's not untouchable Novak has beaten him on all courts including Fed's favorite and best surfaces he will even look less of a legend if i pit him against Nadal because of the embarrassing head 2 head count between them
I won't want to engage in back and forth argument on this. You may use search engine to find out Roger's record that may never be broken.

Here is a link to one of such http://sportsthenandnow.com/2010/09/02/which-top-20-roger-federer-records-may-never-be-broken/
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by Ovie56(m): 11:09am On Jan 20, 2019
PassingShot:

I won't want to engage in back and forth argument on this. You may use search engine to find out Roger's record that may never be broken.

Here is a link to one of such http://sportsthenandnow.com/2010/09/02/which-top-20-roger-federer-records-may-never-be-broken/
you do the same to Nobak's record too Google is your friend
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by neutonbabs20(m): 11:25am On Jan 20, 2019
Kerber and sharapova knocked out on the same day.like wtf
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by PassingShot(m): 11:25am On Jan 20, 2019
Ovie56:
you do the same to Nobak's record too Google is your friend
The maximum record he's got that may never be broken is 7 grin grin grin
https://www.sportskeeda.com/tennis/5-novak-djokovic-achievements-which-may-never-be-surpassed-ss

Lesson: Don't compare boys to men. Federer is the Greatest Tennis Player of All Time - GOAT as he's known.

Djokovic is of course a great player but common, he's far behind Federer
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by neutonbabs20(m): 11:26am On Jan 20, 2019
Tsisipas is a very good young talented player.
very strong backhand
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by PassingShot(m): 11:27am On Jan 20, 2019
This Tsitsipass is giving Roger a very tough time. One set apiece (7-6, 6-7)
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by Ovie56(m): 11:27am On Jan 20, 2019
senatordave1:

Nadal can only beat federal in the French open and not here
i hope the above is a prediction and not a statement of fact

Nadal has beaten him on all surfaces and he leads 23-15 stop the hype
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by PassingShot(m): 11:28am On Jan 20, 2019
neutonbabs20:
Tsisipas is a very good young talented player.
very strong backhand
I knew this was going to be a tough one for Roger.

I hope he will come through though.
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by neutonbabs20(m): 11:29am On Jan 20, 2019
PassingShot:

I knew this was going to be a tough one for Roger.

I hope he will come through though.
i think he's gonna win
3-1
Re: Australia Open 2019 Thread by PassingShot(m): 11:33am On Jan 20, 2019
neutonbabs20:

i think he's gonna win
3-1
Because it's already 1-1

Players like Tsitsipass can pull off an upset. He's growing in confidence

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

EPL: Arsenal Won’t Win Title – Gary Neville Claims After Gunners Beat Tottenham / "Thank You All For The Motivation": Ahmed Musa Revels In First Al Nassr's Goal / Messi's Copa America "Corrupt" Comments "Lack Respect" Says Tournament Bosses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.