Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,242 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:52 AM

Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe - Pets (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe (51306 Views)

Rate My Caucasian / SEASON 2 Diary Of My Caucasian (bear) and puppies / Meet Isis My Caucasian Shepherd. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by space9880: 11:11pm On Nov 02, 2019
agboedeh:
So his nutrition is fine.... I'll advice u to go to the vet. My former gsd had such a thing which was diagnosed by my vet. He would try to put anything in his mouth including paper , his own poo, stone etc. He later died due to a nerve problem.

Go to ur vet before he swallows anything that can affect his digestive system
this guy has gone through a lot he ate his poop too immediately he recovered from Parvo but he stopped now he's into stones. I'll see the vet on Monday .
Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by space9880: 11:14pm On Nov 02, 2019
IamAnderson:

my previous dog had this same problem, he ate his own poop,vomit, grass,sand,stones e.t.c
he also died some months later sad
my dog ate his poop too when he recovered from Parvo infact he has suffered after surviving parvo his right hand leg was swollen the leg was even bigger than his body he could not even stand the pus from the leg will be almost 2 litres it even spread to his abdomen but thank God he is still alive.
Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by IamAnderson(m): 12:33am On Nov 03, 2019
space9880:
my dog ate his poop too when he recovered from Parvo infact he has suffered after surviving parvo his right hand leg was swollen the leg was even bigger than his body he could not even stand the pus from the leg will be almost 2 litres it even spread to his abdomen but thank God he is still alive.
that could be the cause of the pica syndrome, he's been through a lot of stress

1 Like

Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by vincentjk(m): 6:41pm On Nov 03, 2019
space9880:

You didn't capture any pictures of him during this experience?
Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by space9880: 12:29pm On Nov 05, 2019
vincentjk:

You didn't capture any pictures of him during this experience?
i did
Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by foolbuster: 6:49pm On Nov 05, 2019
rumenase:
you're right if your dog bites someone it is trouble for you no matter who is at fault there was a time someone came to pick bitterleaf from my house when nobody was at home and it ended with a nasty bite from my dog I still paid the bills.

Put up a visible sign to warn strangers of the dog. You wont be at fault the next time a stranger walks in uninvited and gets bitten. And you dont have to foot the bill if you dont want to.
Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by Sofia01: 11:39pm On Nov 05, 2019
I am Anderson , can we get updates please embarassed :- embarassed
Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by IamAnderson(m): 6:55am On Nov 06, 2019
Sofia01:
I am Anderson , can we get updates please embarassed :- embarassed
I'll be posting soon grin
Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by Warleyy(m): 10:16am On Nov 06, 2019
Couldn't have been said better....
IamAnderson:

personally I feel a good guard dog will bark at strangers no matter how frequently he hears noises.
he can differentiate between random outside noise and noise coming from people at the gate.
people can discuss and even play and pass the road in front of my gate but he won't bark except they make an unusual noise, once someone actually comes to the gate and stops there, even before they knock, he'll bark at them and run there.
even if he's inside the house, he can tell when a stranger is in the compound.
I've heard about the whole backyard cage thing but I don't believe it makes a guard dog, in fact dogs that were brought up like that usually bark at any small noise and movement when they are free which I feel isn't a pleasant thing cheesy
at least since he's used to random background noises I'm sure if he's barking then it's something I have to come and check out.
although when he was younger he used to bark anyhow, with time he started differentiating noises. now he knows the sound of our car horn and engine cheesy, before you reach the gate with the car he's already there waiting unlike if it's a random car, that one he'll just ignore it.
he knows the sounds to ignore and the ones that should concern him, the whole backyard thing just makes your dog nervous and anxious to sounds, if you want your dog not to be scared of strange sounds then desensitization is the best way to tackle it not locking them away from it.
if your dog is a guard dog, whether you lock it up at the backyard, front or inside your house he'll bark at an intruder when he spots one.
Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by Spanishmilf(m): 10:34am On Nov 06, 2019
IamAnderson:

I'll be posting soon grin
When did your dog aggressve kick in
Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by IamAnderson(m): 10:57am On Nov 06, 2019
Spanishmilf:
When did your dog aggressve kick in
since I got him at 4 weeks, the very first day he came he was barking at people coming into the compound.
his confidence wasn't strong until he grew up tho, when he was younger he was not confident enough to face anything serious but he has always been barking at strange people and things from puppyhood.
I saw the characters from when he was young so I started grooming and conditioning his behavior to strengthen them, so far I can say it worked.
I'll post him again later today wink
Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by Spanishmilf(m): 11:00am On Nov 06, 2019
IamAnderson:

since I got him at 4 weeks, the very first day he came he was barking at people coming into the compound.
his confidence wasn't strong until he grew up tho, when he was younger he was not confident enough to face anything serious but he has always been barking at strange people and things from puppyhood.
I saw the characters from when he was young so I started grooming and conditioning his behavior to strengthen them, so far I can say it worked.
I'll post him again later today wink
my bb mix is als bark at people or strangers but doesn't charge at them I'm happy tho... . I just want to ask what age did yours start to build his confident my own bark out loud and hE keep distamce
Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by IamAnderson(m): 11:15am On Nov 06, 2019
Spanishmilf:
my bb mix is als bark at people or strangers but doesn't charge at them I'm happy tho... . I just want to ask what age did yours start to build his confident my own bark out loud and hE keep distamce
it differs with the dog, some find their confidence later while some find it earlier.
I can't really remember when he started charging.... I think around 5 months, before that he used to charge but if you show you're not afraid he'll stop or slow down and keep on barking at you but if he charges and you run he'll attack you.
at 5 months that's when I remember he started charging without fear whether you run or not.
your dog is already barking at strangers which is a good thing just give him time he'll have more confidence to charge at them.
just make sure you also help him get his confidence too, it helps.
Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by IamAnderson(m): 7:51am On Nov 09, 2019
Sorry I couldn't post when I promised, I got banned from NL for some reason and since then I haven't had the chance to post.

I've been keeping Roscoe indoors because of an incident that happened last Friday when I took him to the vet for his vaccine shots.
while we were coming back, he suddenly attacked one boy on the road, I was also surprised it happened because he's usually calm even in crowds.
he charged at the boy even with me holding his leash and even started chasing the boy as the boy ran away, it took some seconds before I recognized the boy he was trying to attack.
turns out it was the same boy that has been teasing him since he was about 4 months old, the boy always threw stones at him when I take him on walks and sometimes he'll come and touch him and run(although he stopped doing that as he grew up), he also used to come to my gate and tease him so he'll bark at him and even on some occasions he came to my house to fetch water he used to go to his kennel to taunt him while he's barking at him.
I was surprised he could pick out the boy from other people walking on the road even before I noticed him, as he started trying to attack him people started shouting and running away, luckily I was walking him with somebody so the two of us had to hold him back as he was struggling to leave his leash.
if something had happened, if I wasn't able to realise he wanted to attack the boy on time it might have ended as one of those stories you read online that a dog mauled a child and they had to kill the dog, people wouldn't even give me the chance to explain that I knew the boy and it was his fault(I warned him severally to stop teasing him but he saw it as play and continued, he only reduced it when Roscoe grew up and he started fearing him,even at that till now if Roscoe is in his kennel or is restrained he'll be taunting him).
to make things worse, some other kids were coming back from school where this thing happened and because of the frenzy he was already in(everyone was shouting and running) he started trying to attack them too.
I had to take him away from the road to a corner to calm down for some minutes before I took him home, this happened about a week ago and I didn't bring him outside again until this morning so the case will die down, I don't want any issue that has to do with my dog harming a child, at least this issue has opened their eyes, now when the children see him coming they run away without my warning unlike before that they'll be following us and be trying to get his attention no matter how may times I tell them to keep off.
but he's not a child killer though, some minutes after the incident I passed one of my neighbors, house were her child was playing outside and he wanted to touch Roscoe and his mum let me introduce him to the kid and he sniffed and licked him smiley
thankfully, his reckless behavior was just because of grudge and not sinister intentions.

here are some pics I was able to take, as usual he was too distracted to even pay attention to the camera for 2mins cheesy

Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by Toju200(m): 8:17am On Nov 09, 2019
IamAnderson:
Sorry I couldn't post when I promised, I got banned from NL for some reason and since then I haven't had the chance to post.

I've been keeping Roscoe indoors because of an incident that happened last Friday when I took him to the vet for his vaccine shots.
while we were coming back, he suddenly attacked one boy on the road, I was also surprised it happened because he's usually calm even in crowds.
he charged at the boy even with me holding his leash and even started chasing the boy as the boy ran away, it took some seconds before I recognized the boy he was trying to attack.
turns out it was the same boy that has been teasing him since he was about 4 months old, the boy always threw stones at him when I take him on walks and sometimes he'll come and touch him and run(although he stopped doing that as he grew up), he also used to come to my gate and tease him so he'll bark at him and even on some occasions he came to my house to fetch water he used to go to his kennel to taunt him while he's barking at him.
I was surprised he could pick out the boy from other people walking on the road even before I noticed him, as he started trying to attack him people started shouting and running away, luckily I was walking him with somebody so the two of us had to hold him back as he was struggling to leave his leash.
if something had happened, if I wasn't able to realise he wanted to attack the boy on time it might have ended as one of those stories you read online that a dog mauled a child and they had to kill the dog, people wouldn't even give me the chance to explain that I knew the boy and it was his fault(I warned him severally to stop teasing him but he saw it as play and continued, he only reduced it when Roscoe grew up and he started fearing him,even at that till now if Roscoe is in his kennel or is restrained he'll be taunting him).
to make things worse, some other kids were coming back from school where this thing happened and because of the frenzy he was already in(everyone was shouting and running) he started trying to attack them too.
I had to take him away from the road to a corner to calm down for some minutes before I took him home, this happened about a week ago and I didn't bring him outside again until this morning so the case will die down, I don't want any issue that has to do with my dog harming a child, at least this issue has opened their eyes, now when the children see him coming they run away without my warning unlike before that they'll be following us and be trying to get his attention no matter how may times I tell them to keep off.
but he's not a child killer though, some minutes after the incident I passed one of my neighbors, house were her child was playing outside and he wanted to touch Roscoe and his mum let me introduce him to the kid and he sniffed and licked him smiley
thankfully, his reckless behavior was just because of grudge and not sinister intentions.

here are some pics I was able to take, as usual he was too distracted to even pay attention to the camera for 2mins cheesy
Roscoe nor get joy o grin but thank God it was not more than what it was..God!!!! Roscoe make brain Sha Beauty, Strength and size...Wooow.
Spark oya do and big like Roscoe.its like spark will come and spend holiday with Roscoe so dat he will become like him grin
Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by IamAnderson(m): 8:39am On Nov 09, 2019
Toju200:
Roscoe nor get joy o grin but thank God it was not more than what it was..God!!!! Roscoe make brain Sha Beauty, Strength and size...Wooow.
Spark oya do and big like Roscoe.its like spark will come and spend holiday with Roscoe so dat he will become like him grin
lmao thank you grin
Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by Greenarrow01(m): 8:54am On Nov 09, 2019
Roscoe is neat and well kept.
How old is he now.
Also..
My Caucasian is yet to start barking ooo.
Due is sooo good at chasing lizards and chicken.
Thou I have never chained it I keep it at my backyard.. Free range.. It is an enclosed backyard.
How can I stop it from chasing lizardsand chickens. It has never charged at anyone except to be sniffing people up and down.
I walk it out for a 2kilometer walk every two or three days... In an express way.. Just to curb fear.
And we go between crowds too at an intersection
Dog is a good stock.. Son of pumba and I think Lola of bsquared kennel

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by IamAnderson(m): 9:39am On Nov 09, 2019
Greenarrow01:
Roscoe is neat and well kept.
How old is he now.
Also..
My Caucasian is yet to start barking ooo.
Due is sooo good at chasing lizards and chicken.
Thou I have never chained it I keep it at my backyard.. Free range.. It is an enclosed backyard.
How can I stop it from chasing lizardsand chickens. It has never charged at anyone except to be sniffing people up and down.
I walk it out for a 2kilometer walk every two or three days... In an express way.. Just to curb fear.
And we go between crowds too at an intersection
Dog is a good stock.. Son of pumba and I think Lola of bsquared kennel
your dog is still a pup right? about 7 months old or so if I'm correct.
just give him time, he's still growing, he'll become more territorial with age.
as for the lizard and chicken thing, I don't know but Roscoe outgrew it, when he was younger he enjoyed chasing them buy now he's more into goats grin
he started with killing millipedes and rats then he graduated to chasing lizard and chickens now he ignores all these small rodents and birds most times, but if he see a goat he'll rush to chase it grin
I feel the lizard hunting will stop with your dog with age sha, Caucasians are not really hunters, when he starts becoming territorial you'll see his drive to hunt will probably drop and it'll be more channelled into guarding.
he's probably just playing and not hunting to kill, when he's more mature it'll reduce or stop.
Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by Greenarrow01(m): 10:25am On Nov 09, 2019
IamAnderson:

your dog is still a pup right? about 7 months old or so if I'm correct.
just give him time, he's still growing, he'll become more territorial with age.
as for the lizard and chicken thing, I don't know but Roscoe outgrew it, when he was younger he enjoyed chasing them buy now he's more into goats grin
he started with killing millipedes and rats then he graduated to chasing lizard and chickens now he ignores all these small rodents and birds most times, but if he see a goat he'll rush to chase it grin
I feel the lizard hunting will stop with your dog with age sha, Caucasians are not really hunters, when he starts becoming territorial you'll see his drive to hunt will probably drop and it'll be more channelled into guarding.
he's probably just playing and not hunting to kill, when he's more mature it'll reduce or stop.
Oh I forgot to mention goats too lol
I am thinking of getting a female Caucasian and add to it.
Seems dude mightbbe bored.
What kinda toys do you have pls
Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by IamAnderson(m): 10:45am On Nov 09, 2019
Greenarrow01:
Oh I forgot to mention goats too lol I am thinking of getting a female Caucasian and add to it. Seems dude mightbbe bored. What kinda toys do you have pls
I don't really buy toys for him, I use different things to play with him. I also buy unbreakable bones for him to chew on to pass time.
Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by agboedeh: 11:47am On Nov 09, 2019
IamAnderson:

your dog's coat is just to awesome. Pls snap the type of comb u use and the type of supplement u use for the coat.
I am falling in love with Roscoe more and more. His temperament is awesome to. How I wish jack can be introduced to new people.
Are u planning on breeding him
Nice work bro. Ur dog is a 100%.
Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by IamAnderson(m): 12:20pm On Nov 09, 2019
agboedeh:
your dog's coat is just to awesome. Pls snap the type of comb u use and the type of supplement u use for the coat.
I am falling in love with Roscoe more and more. His temperament is awesome to. How I wish jack can be introduced to new people.
Are u planning on breeding him
Nice work bro. Ur dog is a 100%.
thank you so much grin
I just give him raw egg everyday for the coat wink and I use a regular human comb to groom him.
yeah I think I'll breed him later on but not now.

when you try to introduce jack to people how does he react?
Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by dragunov: 12:22pm On Nov 09, 2019
IamAnderson:

in my area there aren't many dogs and the few dogs that are their don't come outside.....so the chances of him getting parvo are slimmer.
I also made sure he got vaccinated against parvo and other things so he has a better chance of preventing them.
I haven't met any local dog on our walks before so I don't have any experience dealing with them, the only local dog I see is always chained in front of one compound and the dog always tries to attack him any time I pass but they haven't fought before.
I think I can ward off a local dog if it tries to attack him tho, I'm ready to do anything.
for now, he's the only dog that get's walked in my area so the parvo transmission scare is not a big fear of mine, infact I'm taking him to the vet on friday for his rabies vaccine.

I lived in a new site, which ofcourse means that the area is still developing. So there are lots of local people, local dogs and local goats.

When I started venturing out with my CO, she was 7months. Full of terrible energy, and also a fearsome visage. I could barely control her pace. It took a little while for the locals to accept that it was a dog. They at first glance mistook it for a lion and took off screaming for dear life.

Goats would normally not run from dogs. Local dogs I mean. But as soon as they sighted my dog, they fled and all instinctively flocked together for protection. They all stood at a very safe distance gawking wide eyed, trembling with stretched out necks, hair standing erect like spikes around the neck region.

The local dogs? I had a good laugh. They would pretend to charge but when my dog merely glance at their direction, they screech to a halt and run back still barking like they are telling my dog that they are not afraid but just heeding an imaginary call from their owners.

In all, people and animals likewise were filled with awe when they saw the dog. They constantly begged me as I walked along not to by mistake release the leash.

5 Likes

Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by IamAnderson(m): 12:31pm On Nov 09, 2019
dragunov:

I lived in a new site, which ofcourse means that the area is still developing. So there are lots of local people, local dogs and local goats.

When I started venturing out with my CO, she was 7months. Full of terrible energy, and also a fearsome visage. I could barely control her pace. It took a little while for the locals to accept that it was a dog. They at first glance mistook it for a lion and took off screaming for dear life.

Goats would normally not run from dogs. Local dogs I mean. But as soon as they sighted my dog, they fled and all instinctively flocked together for protection. They all stood at a very safe distance gawking wide eyed, trembling with stretched out necks, hair standing erect like spikes around the neck region.

The local dogs? I had a good laugh. They would pretend to charge but when my dog merely glance at their direction, they screech to a halt and run back still barking like they are telling my dog that they are not afraid but just heeding an imaginary call from their owners.

In all, people and animals likewise were filled with awe when they saw the dog. They constantly begged me as I walked along not to by mistake release the leash.
haha that's how people and goats still react when I walk my dog,that's why I don't walk him in the daytime again, now I walk him very early in the morning to avoid their wahala.
I've seen a goat leap clean over a gutter and disappear into another street because of fear and Roscoe was dragging me to catch it. cheesy

do you have pics of your dog?
Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by Toju200(m): 12:49pm On Nov 09, 2019
IamAnderson:

haha that's how people and goats still react when I walk my dog,that's why I don't walk him in the daytime again, now I walk him very early in the morning to avoid their wahala.
I've seen a goat leap clean over a gutter and disappear into another street because of fear and Roscoe was dragging me to catch it. cheesy

do you have pics of your dog?
it's like almost all Caucasian has this look and everybody will be like Whaaat...Most times if im walking spark People refer him as Lion.A guy once said who get this lion grin Some mature guys will be like hold am well o.. grin One day I took him out without leash Three guys dived into the bush... grin

2 Likes

Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by vincentjk(m): 12:55pm On Nov 09, 2019
dragunov:

Lols I can totally relate to your experience. People are so afraid of gigantic dogs especially caucs, boerboels in this part of the world.

Your dog's instinct will soon kick in but with time, some are late bloomers

1 Like

Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by vincentjk(m): 12:58pm On Nov 09, 2019
IamAnderson:

Thanks goodness you were able to control it that's why i don't allow people to walk my dogs, only you will know how to handle and calm your dog when the need arises.

1 Like

Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by IamAnderson(m): 1:06pm On Nov 09, 2019
vincentjk:

Thanks goodness you were able to control it that's why i don't allow people to walk my dogs, only you will know how to handle and calm your dog when the need arises.
true, I make sure I'm with the leash at all times even when I'm walking him with somebody
Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by Dreazy23(m): 2:46pm On Nov 09, 2019
Roscoe’s coat is fine, I pray for this level of grooming grin....Thank God you were able to control the situation but his coat grin
Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by agboedeh: 2:59pm On Nov 09, 2019
IamAnderson:

when you try to introduce jack to people how does he react?
He would just start barking and try to bite them. He is not socialized at all. I have a relative that came to stay with me for a month. Jack hated him and only started tolerating him after two weeks of his coming. But still hated him till d day he left.
He sees humans, goat and especially chicken as enemies DAT need to be eliminated....lol.
Its my fault tho. I didn't properly involve him with people while growing.
Any suggestions on how to introduce him to new people?
Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by IamAnderson(m): 3:32pm On Nov 09, 2019
agboedeh:
He would just start barking and try to bite them. He is not socialized at all. I have a relative that came to stay with me for a month. Jack hated him and only started tolerating him after two weeks of his coming. But still hated him till d day he left.
He sees humans, goat and especially chicken as enemies DAT need to be eliminated....lol.
Its my fault tho. I didn't properly involve him with people while growing.
Any suggestions on how to introduce him to new people?
he's already grown so it'll be harder to do but I feel if you introduce him to people that are nice and relaxed he'll calm down.
Roscoe also barks and tries to attack people when I try to introduce them to him inside the compound but when he sees everyone is calm around the person and the person too is calm he'll eventually stop barking and start growling then I ask the person to give him a hand to sniff slowly, after he sniffs the person's hand he sniffs the person for some minutes then leaves them alone.
if you want to introduce your dog to someone don't rush it,just be calm and the person too should be relaxed and quiet it'll go down easier.
after the dog has seen the person is no longer a threat it'll calm down and get curious about the person.
but even after the introduction, it not wise to leave the person alone with the dog until you're sure the dog is okay with the person.
the last person that stayed with us few months ago for about a month got introduced to Roscoe and he got used to her and we started freeing him in her presence eventually but he still attacked her about 2-3 times when she went to open the gate by herself, she had to run out the gate to escape and she was also lucky I was there those times to stop him.

also it'd help if you didn't force the introduction the first day they meet, I usually do mine few days after the person arrives so by that time he'd have gotten tired of barking at the person and instead he'll be more curious to know who the person is.
then if you want to introduce them on neutral ground (a place that isn't your dog's territory)
just let them be calm and also wait for jack to calm down then ask him to sit before you let him sniff the person.
tip: go at the dog's pace, let the dog lean forward to sniff first because if the person moves too suddenly that sniff can turn to a bite cheesy

1 Like

Re: Diary of my Caucasian Roscoe by agboedeh: 3:35pm On Nov 09, 2019
IamAnderson:

tip: go at the dog's pace, let the dog lean forward to sniff first because if the person moves too suddenly that sniff can turn to a bite cheesy
lol

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (24) (Reply)

We Caught This Monitor Lizard And I Am Presently Keeping It As A Pet / These Are The Cutest Dog Breeds According To Science (Photos) / Caught A Green Snake And I Want To Keep It As Pet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.