Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,141 members, 7,814,997 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:12 AM

Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) (114513 Views)

Ten Nigerian States With Highest IGR / 2012 Ranking (from Richest To Poorest) For Gross Domestic Product Based On PPP / Nigerian States And Their Natural Resources (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Ikengawo: 8:00am On Aug 19, 2010
i dont think 'state of origin' is relevant in a real modern census cause it has nothing to do with anything except tribal arguments which themselves have nothing to do with anything.

a lot of ppl that 'originate' in kwara for example and are born in lagos say they're lagosians and are lagosians. we are a united country and people from any state can live and be born in any other state and be a member of that state, origin isn't important anymore.

other then that i agree with you, i think statistics in the east are horribly skewed and that the east has more people and money then the gov. is letting us know.
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Onlytruth(m): 8:03am On Aug 19, 2010
^^
Okay, let me drop state of origin. Let's just use commercial, industrial and institutional investments in each state to judge this.

It is still way off. Anambra has more of those than Edo, Delta, Imo, Abia, Akwa Ibom, Oyo, Rivers, you name it.
The only thing those states have more than Anambra is OIL.
Oyo is off.
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Onlytruth(m): 8:05am On Aug 19, 2010
In fact when it comes to those non-oil based investments, only Lagos State beats Anambra State.
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by james1(m): 8:05am On Aug 19, 2010
@ikengawo.old good crude oil is still Nigeria's main stay;have you heared about excess agriculture or telecoms account?but I bet your ears have known no rest from the term:EXCESS CRUDE ACCOUNT!!!
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by chika98: 8:09am On Aug 19, 2010
I had no idea Imo is that populated. Certainly did not feel that way when I was growing up. LOL@ making up a small third world country. That's a lot of people in one country sha grin
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Ikengawo: 8:10am On Aug 19, 2010
almost all crude is excess because people dont make it, it just pumps out of the ground.

oil IS the biggest part of the nigerian economy but it's no longer sole source of the nigerian economy.

Nigerians sometimes deceive themselves into believing oil is wealth and type about it in on computers in richer countries then nigeria that don't produce a drop of oil

i think oil will eventually be surpassed in wealth generation in nigeria and it's happening.
we're at a point now that our middle class is coming back and most of them work in services and industry.
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by THEAMAKA(f): 8:13am On Aug 19, 2010
chika98:

I had no idea Imo is that populated. Certainly did not feel that way when I was growing up. LOL@ making up a small third world country. That's a lot of people in one country sha grin
you're from Imo too?
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by chika98: 8:14am On Aug 19, 2010
^^ Yes I grew up in the capital grin
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Onlytruth(m): 8:14am On Aug 19, 2010
Oil will remain the underlying income spinner for Nigeria for a long time. Nigerians are mainly lazy. undecided Unless of course the country restructures with true federalism, then states with human resources will thrive. Either way, my state (Anambra) will kick a$$. cool
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Freewilly(f): 8:18am On Aug 19, 2010
My state Anambra ofcause should be 2 on that stupid list angry angry
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Jarus(m): 9:09am On Aug 19, 2010
28 Kwara State 3,841,827,534
shocked
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Nobody: 9:18am On Aug 19, 2010
Onlytruth:

^^
Okay, let me drop state of origin. Let's just use commercial, industrial and institutional investments in each state to judge this.

It is still way off. Anambra has more of those than Edo, Delta, Imo, Abia, Akwa Ibom, Oyo, Rivers, you name it.
The only thing those states have more than Anambra is OIL.
Oyo is off.
Onlytruth. . .Is there oil in OYO state ?
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Beaf: 9:27am On Aug 19, 2010
Delta state is by far richer than Anambra, even without oil. it is deservedly at the top of the per capita ranking in Nigeria.

The place is so developed that in a few years it would look like one huge metropolis.
The place is jammed with all sorts of niche industries. Delta state people form a very huge proportion of Nigeria's service industries (especially financial). Close to half of all the important media businesses are owned by Delta state indegenes (so much so, that we even gave Nigeria the Urhobo word, ikebe  grin).

I could go on and one. We no de carry last! grin cool
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Onlytruth(m): 9:28am On Aug 19, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Onlytruth. . .Is there oil in OYO state ?

What does Oyo state have in terms of money, education, commerce, industry or institutional investments more than Anambra? NONE. So how come Oyo is listed with higher per capita income?

That Oyo figure shows that this chart is trash.
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Nobody: 9:30am On Aug 19, 2010
Onlytruth:

What does Oyo state have in terms of money, education, commerce, industry or institutional investments more than Anambra? NONE. So how come Oyo is listed with higher per capita income?

I guess this mean there's still hope for ekiti to be in the top 5.
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Onlytruth(m): 9:32am On Aug 19, 2010
Beaf:

Delta state is by far richer than Anambra, even without oil. it is deservedly at the top of the per capita ranking in Nigeria.

The place is so developed that in a few years it would look like one huge metropolis.
The place is jammed with all sorts of niche industries. Delta state people form a very huge proportion of Nigeria's service industries (especially financial). Close to half of all the important media businesses are owned by Delta state indegenes (so much so, that we even gave Nigeria the Urhobo word, ikebe  grin).

Apart from oil industry in delta, tell me other industries there?

If we take it from citizens of each state controlling money, ol'boy delta has only Ibru. Anambra has many many people. One dude alone (capital oil dude) is controlling tens of billions of dollars in investments.
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Ikengawo: 9:33am On Aug 19, 2010
ok Oyo aside, what does Anambra have that Rivers doesn't have?
Is Onitsha really as big as Ibadan, Port, Kano, or Kaduna?
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Afam4eva(m): 9:33am On Aug 19, 2010
Beaf:

Pls stop displaying ignorance here. In what way is Delta richer than Anambra?

How jampacked is Delta compared to Anambra?

What industries are you referring to.

Which media business. Pls list some.
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Beaf: 9:36am On Aug 19, 2010
Onlytruth:

Anambra state is certainly more industrialised than Oyo state, especially around the Onitsha, Awka, Nnewi axis; but Oyo has a very low population density compared to the East which might explain it. However, it is very hard to buy that story.

Where are the economics gurus?
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Onlytruth(m): 9:37am On Aug 19, 2010
Ikengawo:

ok Oyo aside, what does Anambra have that Rivers doesn't have?
Is Onitsha really as big as Ibadan, Port, Kano, or Kaduna?

We are not just looking at population and oil money flowing into states by hook or crook using fake population figures.
Onitsha main market alone controls more money than Oyo state! cool

If you doubt me, go and try to secure the smallest shop there. If it doesn't set you back N10 million, then I'm wrong.
Meanwhile there are thousands of such shops controlling billions in daily business.
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Beaf: 9:40am On Aug 19, 2010
afam4eva:

Pls stop displaying ignorance here. In what way is Delta richer than Anambra?

How jampacked is Delta compared to Anambra?

What industries are you referring to.

Which media business. Pls list some.

Why don't you try to find out? All you need do is drive through the state. Enter from Benin, through Sapele, Warri; exit at Patani or Asaba. . . And change your mind. grin
In terms of development, it is really hard to compare Delta state and any other (except Lagos and Rivers).
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Nobody: 9:41am On Aug 19, 2010
Onlytruth:

Do you know how much is given to each state from the federation account minus 13% derivatives accruing to niger delta states.what do you think those states would have earned if there is no such extra. .do you r own calculation and you will see that oyo would definitely go far than you expected.
Oyo had everything to have more than bayelsa that depend solely on oil wealth.
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Onlytruth(m): 9:43am On Aug 19, 2010
Beaf:

Why don't you try to find out? All you need do is drive through the state. Enter from Benin, through Sapele, Warri; exit at Patani or Asaba. . . And change your mind. grin
In terms of development, it is really hard to compare Delta state and any other (except Lagos and Rivers).

You could be right about that. Una dey chop oil money na!  grin But don't worry though, we go soon catch una for that one too. cool
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Afam4eva(m): 9:46am On Aug 19, 2010
This figures are relatively incorrect. Anambra can only be behind Lagos. Then Rivers, Delta, Imo and possibly Abia can follow.
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Nobody: 9:46am On Aug 19, 2010
Beaf:

Don't mind him jo.i have been to warri,asaba and Agbor but i still wonder why warri was not made the capital because of the development there.Anambra is just a commercial centre occupied by ibo boys .so what's the big deal about that ?
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Onlytruth(m): 9:48am On Aug 19, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Do you know how much is given to each state from the federation account minus 13% derivatives accruing to niger delta states.what do you think those states would have earned if there is no such extra. .do you r own calculation and you will see that oyo would definitely go far than you expected.
Oyo had everything to have more than bayelsa that depend solely on oil wealth.

But they did not minus the derivations. That is why that chart is convoluted. It shows many oil producing states doing well, then, it suddenly included Oyo -a state with no oil and no other known economy dominating sector.

E be like say na Oyo man prepare am!  grin
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Nobody: 9:55am On Aug 19, 2010
Onlytruth:

But they did not minus the derivations. That is why that chart is convoluted. It shows many oil producing states doing well, then, it suddenly included Oyo -a state with no oil and no other known economy dominating sector.

E be like say na Oyo man prepare am!  grin
I dont know the criteria used but i think it has something to do with population cuz i once saw a raw preparation maybe on ministry of finance website and kano had the highest amount followed by lagos before the other additives were added.
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Onlytruth(m): 10:00am On Aug 19, 2010
I really would like a true census of Nigeria counting everything including income per capita. I don't see any other state apart from maybe Lagos beating Anambra. And for the counting to truly reflect this, state of origin should be in the census.

If you don't include it, the figures would be off, because for instance, you would not be able to explain the multimillion naira type of personal houses littering Anambra villages. My dudes ain't poor one bit!

If you start charging property taxes based on values of homes, then you get the picture.
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by dipsyn: 10:02am On Aug 19, 2010
@only truth in as much I don't know much about Oyo will like to tell you some few things y I think Oyo is richer than Anambra

Anambra has the biggest market for traders while Oyo has the biggest manufacturing industries for business men like tobacco industries (which is one of the most booming mkt in d world and d likes infarct must manufacturing industries factories are based in Oyo)

Oyo has a low density compared to Anambra

Oyo boasts of the most educational institution in Nigeria exclusive of Lagos and mayb Ogun and you know were they are educated people there is always room for development

Oyo also boast of agriculture such as maize, cassava, millet, rice etc

And that is just the little I know so am sure there is much more esp Ibadan been the largest city in West Africa am sure its not just large for nothing

Lastly no matter what ranking is giving to each sate people will always still complain but I believe those that built up this list have done their research so you need to go do yours also because if you have, you wont even ask the question what does Oyo have but the question would be Oyo have this Anambra has that let us compare than 1dering what Oyo has and just telling us the obvious in Anambra

Nigerians are neva contended pls let us look at ways to improve our own state to be better rather than wasting tyme criticizing those who have done their bits,
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Beaf: 10:03am On Aug 19, 2010
Onlytruth:

Apart from oil industry in delta, tell me other industries there?

If we take it from citizens of each state controlling money, ol'boy delta has only Ibru. Anambra has many many people. One dude alone (capital oil dude) is controlling tens of billions of dollars in investments.

You know people from that area tend to be very quiet (eg Jonathan), so you can never easily see their real hand. If not for Mrs Ibru, you would hardly even know that name, despite that the man is among Nigeria's richest. There are many more like him, living simply, quietly and minding their business. That's why the phrase "Urhobo wayo" arose. grin
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Onlytruth(m): 10:08am On Aug 19, 2010
Beaf:

You know people from that area tend to be very quiet (eg Jonathan), so you can never easily see their real hand. If not for Mrs Ibru, you would hardly even know that name, despite that the man is among Nigeria's richest. There are many more like him, living simply, quietly and minding their business. That's why the phrase "Urhobo wayo" arose. grin

Frankly, I don't even know why I'm arguing this. Anambra folks (especially Nnewi folks) are not know to make noise about money. We learned that long ago in Nigeria. It is part of our survival strategy. grin

I think I'll take my bow now. cool
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Beaf: 10:10am On Aug 19, 2010
^
Are you from Nnewi?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

10 Most Developed State Capitals In Nigeria-opinion / President Buhari's 'Louboutin' Shoes Got People Talking (Photos) / 28+ Funny Photos Of Jonathan Vs Buhari Presidential Battle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.