Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,160 members, 7,815,049 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:59 AM

Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) (114514 Views)

Ten Nigerian States With Highest IGR / 2012 Ranking (from Richest To Poorest) For Gross Domestic Product Based On PPP / Nigerian States And Their Natural Resources (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Onlytruth(m): 10:12am On Aug 19, 2010
Beaf:

^
Are you from Nnewi?

Yep!

I told you that before didn't I? You are supposed to be my in-law remember? One of my cousins is married to a beauty from your Isoko tribe.
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Nobody: 10:15am On Aug 19, 2010
Onlytruth:

I really would like a true census of Nigeria counting everything including income per capita. I don't see any other state apart from maybe Lagos beating Anambra. And for the counting to truly reflect this, state of origin should be in the census.

If you don't include it, the figures would be off, because for instance, you would not be able to explain the multimillion naira type of personal houses littering Anambra villages. My dudes ain't poor one bit!

If you start charging property taxes based on values of homes, then you get the picture.

And you think the people in oyo are poor abi simply because they are not into business sector like your homies.what i see there are individual rich men which is common in everywhere possibly,there wealth may not have gone into the system or what do you think of a business-oriented state that refused to pay tax to government ? It's doesnt change the economy of that state at all.
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Beaf: 10:16am On Aug 19, 2010
Onlytruth:

Yep!

I told you that before didn't I? You are supposed to be my in-law remember? One of my cousins is married to a beauty from your Isoko tribe.

You're right, you did. My bad.
I hope you guy's are taking good care of my sister o! grin
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Onlytruth(m): 10:18am On Aug 19, 2010
Beaf:

You're right, you did. My bad.
I hope you guy's are taking good care of my sister o! grin

Don't worry. We are known for treating our wives good. We don't kill them.  cool And they NEVER leave. Trust me on that.
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Onlytruth(m): 10:19am On Aug 19, 2010
~Bluetooth:

And you think the people in oyo are poor abi simply because they are not into business sector like your homies.what i see there are individual rich men which is common in everywhere possibly,there wealth may not have gone into the system or what do you think of a business-oriented state that refused to pay tax to government ? It's doesnt change the economy of that state at all.

Actually, Anambra is still laying some infrastructure foundations. When Peter Obi leaves, and someone like Soludo takes over that state, it will simply jump up. It is a powerfully latent state.
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Nobody: 10:22am On Aug 19, 2010
dipsyn:

@only truth in as much I don't know much about Oyo will like to tell you some few things y I think Oyo is richer than Anambra

Anambra has the biggest market for traders while Oyo has the biggest manufacturing industries for business men like tobacco industries (which is one of the most booming mkt in d world and d likes infarct must manufacturing industries factories are based in Oyo)

Oyo has a low density compared to Anambra

Oyo boasts of the most educational institution in Nigeria exclusive of Lagos and mayb Ogun and you know were they are educated people there is always room for development

Oyo also boast of agriculture such as maize, cassava, millet, rice etc

And that is just the little I know so am sure there is much more esp Ibadan been the largest city in West Africa am sure its not just large for nothing

Lastly no matter what ranking is giving to each sate people will always still complain but I believe those that built up this list have done their research so you need to go do yours also because if you have, you wont even ask the question what does Oyo have but the question would be Oyo have this Anambra has that let us compare than 1dering what Oyo has and just telling us the obvious in Anambra

Nigerians are neva contended pls let us look at ways to improve our own state to be better rather than wasting tyme criticizing those who have done their bits,
Righ on spot and that is why i feel bad that Akala is doing nothing to improve the state at all.the state would have gone far if a good leader,i mean a business -oriented person and not a bloody illiterate had been the governor.mscheww
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Onlytruth(m): 10:24am On Aug 19, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Righ on spot and that is why i feel bad that Akala is doing nothing to improve the state at all.the state would have gone far if a good leader,i mean a business -oriented person and not a bloody illiterate had been the governor.mscheww

grin grin grin

ol'boy calm down na!
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by phantom(m): 10:31am On Aug 19, 2010
'powerfully latent state', i couldnt have put it more aptly.with a seaport and good leadership,that state will explode.
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by PapaBrowne(m): 10:55am On Aug 19, 2010
The figures are near accurate, except for maybe Anambra. I would expect Anambra to perform better, however I think there are genuine reasons why Anambra would underperform in terms of GDP figures despite having so much commerce.

One of the best ways to assess the GDP of a city or state is to count the number of bank branches in the area. Banks follow the money. The higher the GDP of a state, the higher the number of bank branches available in the state.
Anambra state has a very high number of bank branches, beaten only by Lagos, Edo,Delta and Rivers. Kano state on the other hand has very few bank branches. Asides these two states, the GDP figures are near perfect if you correlate them with banking activity accross the country.

Another correlating factor to GDP performance is internet penetration. States with higher GDP figures tend to have higher internet penetration. You can check the states telecom companies launch their premium internet services and you would see that it falls in line with the GDP figures available.

@onlytruth
Anambra state's low GDP figure could easily be attributable to the fact that most of its wealthy citizens engage in commerce outside the state and not within the state. Onlytruth mentioned the guy from Capital Oil. Truth is he probably has no investments in Anambra state besides maybe his house in his village. Its just like Dangote. Dangote contributes heavily to the GDP figures in Lagos, Cross River, Kogi and a couple other states, but very very little to his home state of Kano. My point is that, the fact that a state has very wealthy indigenes doesn't necessarily translate into better economic credentials.
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by phantom(m): 11:21am On Aug 19, 2010
^very true.
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by steroid: 12:52pm On Aug 19, 2010
The figures given are based on money accounted for and changes from one hand to the other.

those figures were not given based on number of businesses that take place in a state, and yet many of them are unregistered.

Well Abia is 12th, its  definitely possible, though development is still very low there. Looking forward to a better Abia. Aba still remains the China of Nigeria
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by igboboy1(m): 9:31am On Aug 20, 2010
Delta State after I take helm of things would be #1 grin
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by otokx(m): 9:33am On Aug 20, 2010
and when will that be?
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by MrCork1: 9:37am On Aug 20, 2010
Ok, I thought Nigeria had 19 state?? what is goin on?
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by igboboy1(m): 9:41am On Aug 20, 2010
otokx:

and when will that be?

DOnt be a doubting Thomas, After Bros Uduaghan has served his second term it would be only right for Delta North to field a candidate to perch for that mansion for Asaba, and I am a qualified candidate for 2015 cool
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by 2makesense: 9:43am On Aug 20, 2010
Source please! grin
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Nobody: 9:44am On Aug 20, 2010
White man sidon for im country sabi which state get money pass, nigerians start arguement, no be for reason why the list is false but for the fact that my state soppose be no 1.
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by tkb417(m): 9:45am On Aug 20, 2010
Ogun number 9?

The reason i didnt check this thread is cos i tot we'll be like 35th cos that OGD dude has stolen everythn

so without OGD, we'll probably be like number 2 grin grin grin grin

well done boiz

when i become Guvnor, my target is to dethrone Lagos grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Iyineda(m): 10:03am On Aug 20, 2010
My dad's state of origin is ranked 9th;
My mum's, 16th;
The state where I was born and grew up in is 2nd. cool

[size=5pt]Not that anyone cares.[/size]
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by mrjingles(m): 10:24am On Aug 20, 2010
Remove share of oil loot from Abuja feeding bottle and most states will have GDP smaller than a local govt in mauritania! yeye!
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Ofemmanu: 10:25am On Aug 20, 2010
PapaBrowne:

The figures are near accurate, except for maybe Anambra. I would expect Anambra to perform better, however I think there are genuine reasons why Anambra would underperform in terms of GDP figures despite having so much commerce.

One of the best ways to assess the GDP of a city or state is to count the number of bank branches in the area. Banks follow the money. The higher the GDP of a state, the higher the number of bank branches available in the state.
Anambra state has a very high number of bank branches, beaten only by Lagos, Edo,Delta and Rivers. Kano state on the other hand has very few bank branches. Asides these two states, the GDP figures are near perfect if you correlate them with banking activity accross the country.

Another correlating factor to GDP performance is internet penetration. States with higher GDP figures tend to have higher internet penetration. You can check the states telecom companies launch their premium internet services and you would see that it falls in line with the GDP figures available.

@onlytruth
Anambra state's low GDP figure could easily be attributable to the fact that most of its wealthy citizens engage in commerce outside the state and not within the state. Onlytruth mentioned the guy from Capital Oil. Truth is he probably has no investments in Anambra state besides maybe his house in his village. Its just like Dangote. Dangote contributes heavily to the GDP figures in Lagos, Cross River, Kogi and a couple other states, but very very little to his home state of Kano. My point is that, the fact that a state has very wealthy indigenes doesn't necessarily translate into better economic credentials.

The agency that prepared this data got it wrong in all aspect of judgement. A state like Anambra can not be outside the first ten bracket if the those that prepared this data considered the enormity of commercial activities going on in the state.
My best guess is that the data reflects states that have more civil servants/government employees, and not the actual GDP figure.
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by tkb417(m): 10:33am On Aug 20, 2010
mrjingles:

Remove share of oil loot from Abuja feeding bottle and most states will have GDP smaller than a local govt in mauritania! yeye!
remove oil money from saudis income and what would you have?

the poorest country in the universe
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by hackney(m): 10:37am On Aug 20, 2010
Imo is no 5 on the list ; sweet but how come?
Its in front of Abia (aba! !) and Anambara(onitsha! !) with what? all those hotels? ?
Not complaining about the hotels oo ( infact luv 'em  wink  ) but i think the list is inaccurate.

Ebonyi is bottom of list ; not surprising as nothing dey there  grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by ud4u: 11:09am On Aug 20, 2010
My state is 5
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by sylve11: 11:12am On Aug 20, 2010
God bless Delta State! cool
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by onc4all(f): 11:35am On Aug 20, 2010
My State the Eastern Heartland is No 5, Imo Ndewonuoooooooooooo
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by msb247(m): 12:04pm On Aug 20, 2010
yobe my dear state, what has been going wrong
cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry shocked

those governors with their looting plus top govt officials with their ghost workers have really cheated us embarassed
angry angry angry angry angry angry undecided

if my time comes, i will contest, win and turn things around in yobe state! indeed, the young shall grow!!! cool
tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by msb247(m): 12:07pm On Aug 20, 2010
^^^AS IT IS BEING SAID: HE WHO LAUGHS LAST LAUGHS BEST grin cheesy cool tongue
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by haboosa(m): 12:24pm On Aug 20, 2010
SARAKI DON CHOP OUR INCOME AND ALLOCATION FOR KWARA!!!!!!!! sad angry SEE WHERE WE DEY FOR RANKING sad angry cry cry cry
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by msb247(m): 12:35pm On Aug 20, 2010
Mr Cork:

Ok, I thought Nigeria had 19 state?? what is goin on?

shocked embarassed mr man, are u still living in the past? it might interest u 2 know that very soon, more states will spring up. nigeria might have 45 states grin
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by Beync(f): 12:50pm On Aug 20, 2010
My state is 5th, Good .
Re: Nigerian States From Richest To Poorest (ppp) by kemisuga(f): 12:52pm On Aug 20, 2010
Omo Ogun, "Ise Ya" grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

10 Most Developed State Capitals In Nigeria-opinion / President Buhari's 'Louboutin' Shoes Got People Talking (Photos) / 28+ Funny Photos Of Jonathan Vs Buhari Presidential Battle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.