Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,878 members, 7,810,340 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:26 AM

Updates On The 2007 Presidential Election - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Updates On The 2007 Presidential Election (7025 Views)

LIVE UPDATES On Anambra Supplementary Election / Updates On Daura Attack By Gunmen From A Nairalander / Who Is The Best Governor For The 2007-2011 Term (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Updates On The 2007 Presidential Election by wetinde(m): 12:10pm On Apr 25, 2007
I am glad that for the first time in Nigerian history we will have a president and vice president that are educated. The process of the elections might be debatable but as someone earlier said there is no credible evidence to prove irregularities.
    I think we should all keep in mind the fact that there is going to be a complete change in the power circle of Nigeria once the new president is sworn in , because their education/age sets a precedence which will be used as a criteria for being in such positions and this will filter down the chain of power. Yaradua/Goodluck will try as much as possible to defend their integrity to ensure that no one compares their rulership to that of all the uneducated goons we have had in the past and so they would like to be seen as being  very innovative and interlectuals. This also ensures that the US and UK cannot try to bully our leaders because they would realise that they are not talking to idiots. The western world is very afraid of an educated black man especially if he is a Nigerian.
    I think this is a good thing for Nigeria and I would suggest that a lot of you who are professionals abroad had better start planning to go home because I see Nigeria re-establishing itself as the Giant of Africa economically.
     I see a few governors getting removed within 2 years of being on seat as well if they do not perform. If you think I am being over optimistic, just watch and see
Re: Updates On The 2007 Presidential Election by femi4love(m): 12:49pm On Apr 25, 2007
@Wetinde
The western world is very afraid of an educated black man especially if he is a Nigerian.

You can say that 1 million times over
Re: Updates On The 2007 Presidential Election by NiteAngel(m): 1:54pm On Apr 25, 2007
Got this from a friend thought I should share it:

A group of technologists were showcasing their nations' prowess in the Cebit technology fair recently and the German stood up & said his nation is the best in technology.

'We are so good, if we conduct elections today we'll get the results tomorrow'.

The Japanese rose and said they were definitely better;

'We are so good, we get results of elections immediately after the elections. Our elections are monitored online, realtime'.

The Nigerian needn't stand up to speak, he made his speech while seated.

'And you all call that technology? In Nigeria we already know the results of elections before they are conducted'.

undecided
Re: Updates On The 2007 Presidential Election by Mariory(m): 3:56pm On Apr 25, 2007
*Yawn*
Re: Updates On The 2007 Presidential Election by wormedup(m): 4:06pm On Apr 25, 2007
heard on news this morning ;

Ondo state (i think) house election results were released and PDP won all of them.

PDP also won in a ward they didn't have a candidate representing !

goes to show how credible the elections were ! grin
Re: Updates On The 2007 Presidential Election by osyta(m): 10:55pm On Apr 25, 2007
i don't known if any body knowns this but i think according the law before any candidate is decleared a winner he/she must either have gotten 1/3 of the total votes or 2/3 of the number of states in the fedration.
besides that in some polling centres and states there were no elections
so why will inec now declears a candidate winner without having attain any of the stated rules
Re: Updates On The 2007 Presidential Election by Mariory(m): 11:44am On Apr 26, 2007
Interesting article

http://www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx?articleid=305888&area=/insight/insight__national/
As the massive irregularities in the Nigerian presidential poll come into focus, it has emerged that South African companies were asked at the eleventh hour to print ballot papers that often did not reach polling stations in time.
Re: Updates On The 2007 Presidential Election by 9ja4eva: 4:57am On Apr 27, 2007
Hmm na wa oh
Re: Updates On The 2007 Presidential Election by CrazyMan(m): 6:38pm On Apr 27, 2007
Yar'adua has already won

At least Obasanjo would he a happy man,
Re: Updates On The 2007 Presidential Election by orp: 8:28pm On Apr 27, 2007
the election was a sham
Re: Updates On The 2007 Presidential Election by 9ja4eva: 6:00am On Apr 28, 2007
Big big shame
Re: Updates On The 2007 Presidential Election by dazangel11(f): 8:11am On Apr 28, 2007
Let us get this rigging thing behind us now.

We should wait and see what comes up on yaradua and goodluck.

They may prove to be real democrats because they are educated.

Let us wait and see.
Re: Updates On The 2007 Presidential Election by 9ja4eva: 8:18am On Apr 28, 2007
I hope they rule well oh.I pray so oh
Re: Updates On The 2007 Presidential Election by Echidime(m): 8:19am On Apr 28, 2007
I just wonder why some people can't accept the election result, PDP have won and thats it.Even the supreme court lack the power to declear any presidential election in this country VOID,This is beyond the supreme court. ASO will be mentained and Nigeria governed by PDP in the next four years to come, opposition party can't try their LUCK in the next four years.
Re: Updates On The 2007 Presidential Election by 9ja4eva: 8:20am On Apr 28, 2007
The elections can be rescheduled.
Re: Updates On The 2007 Presidential Election by Echidime(m): 8:30am On Apr 28, 2007
reschedule? by who? OBJ's time is over,and have you ever thought of the fact that if reshedule and PDP lose, they too willa sk of another reshedulement, and again and again same thing so where will this leads us to? 4 years is not ETERNITY,by then the if the oppositions are intelligent they should have only one candidate for that alone will see PDP out of ASO ROCK
Re: Updates On The 2007 Presidential Election by con9ja: 9:07am On Apr 28, 2007
@ Wetinde well said.
The truth is  if another elections is conducted PDP is most likely still going to win, i honestly think we should give Yar'adua/Goodluck a chance, And the opposition party should go and build-up themselves because the truth is that there is really no strong opposition, i think these parties should come together to form a strong opposition and start working now towards the next four yrs, but they might have a little problem if PDP performs well in the next four yrs (which i strongly believe they will,if not for anything to make a point).

Lets support the new leaders in our little own way and be positive rather than negative and let's build our nation to an enviable place, i have a problem with the western world they really don't have anybody's interest than their own and they don't love us that much, so let us come together and build our great Nation.
Re: Updates On The 2007 Presidential Election by Echidime(m): 9:45am On Apr 28, 2007
@ con9ja: yes ooooo thanks for your post the western world hate us thats why they never say anything positive about Nigeria and africa as a whole, but is unfortunate that some of our own people are so blind that they keep believing in this terrorist called BBC and CNN who are only on a mission giving to them by their respective Governments.

Everything the White has and enjoy comes from Africa,thats why they can't leave us alone,if they are so confortable what the hell are they still doing in Africa even after the slave trade South Africa oppositions form just one party named ANC African national Congress before they were able to push out the white out of government house,till date they are in power, unless the oppositions in nigeria do same they will keep crying and calling on the white to help they,by calling the the election a shame,sharbed, fraud,rigging,even if they white likes they can still release another new GRAMMER to call it that they problem.

It happens every where today on BBC news is happening in TURKEY oppsitions are calling for a new elections to be held, yet BBC and CNN are not comenting on it, cos if not Africa. NIGERIA IS BIGGER THAN ANY INDIVIDUAL,GROUP,AND NATION IN THIS WORLD
Re: Updates On The 2007 Presidential Election by toshmann(m): 2:14pm On Apr 29, 2007
con9ja:

Lets support the new leaders in our little own way and be positive rather than negative and let's build our nation to an enviable place, i have a problem with the western world they really don't have anybody's interest than their own and they don't love us that much, so let us come together and build our great Nation.

nice talk. but i'll rather say they dont love us at all. i don tire for the BBC/CNN Combo
Re: Updates On The 2007 Presidential Election by nnenneigbo(f): 3:30pm On Apr 29, 2007
western worl is so not the problem. after all, they're not holding a gun to our leaders head. greediness is the problem
Re: Updates On The 2007 Presidential Election by Bankole01(m): 3:33pm On Apr 29, 2007
We can't just accept the unacceptable as Wole soyinka put it, for the sake of peace. illegality on any level by anyone is still wrong. To hell with peace! the whole elections should be outright cancelled as the people of the country were were disenfranchised. This my take on things, an interim government led by the Chief Justice Suprems Court. Election commision will come under the direct supervision of NASS, who would confirm the chairman and commisioners, new registrations process for all States will begin and go on for a period of three months and records established in every ward of every State, where every voters will issued a voter card with photographs.  Elections should then be scheduled for three months later. The election venue will be in closed facilities only with doors (eg schools) only facilitators will be allowed to permanents stay in the rooms. All voters will show voter card with photographs before bein allowed entry. This will make collation and number of voters easy to ascertain, all ballot boxes will be transparent hard types bolted and secure in place. The perimeter of venues will be guarded and man by police and soldiers to prevent thugs from stealing ballot boxes.

This sham April elections should never be allowed to stand.
Re: Updates On The 2007 Presidential Election by toshmann(m): 3:45pm On Apr 29, 2007
brother cool down for this ur long lecture. inec knows how to conduct election to be free and fair. the problem with nigeria is not wether we know what to do, but wether we are ready to do what we should do. inec knew how to conduct election but inec was not ready to conduct a free and fair election. they had ulterior motive

if you say we should not accept the unacceptable for the sake of peace, what then do we do now that the election stands? civil war II? that's the problem. what options are there for nigerians to follow? the people in power who can change the system are people who are benefitting from the system. they will never change it. nobody gives up power/wealth just like that. there has to be a revolution in that country. or else it can only get worse. u think OBJ was bad? let's see the next 8yrs.

another option is to good old religious approach of prayer. after all prayers helped us get rid of abacha.

otherwise, tell us what we can do to escape the stranglehold of PDP.
Re: Updates On The 2007 Presidential Election by Bankole01(m): 4:07pm On Apr 29, 2007
Revolution! that exactly is what I am preaching. People need to stand up and say enough is enough. Look, the people of Phillipines drove out Marcos without firing one shot. They had mas rallies after rallies and demanded a change and they got it.  The unthical ruling elites have run rough shod over Nigerians long enough.
Re: Updates On The 2007 Presidential Election by 9ja4eva: 8:02pm On Apr 29, 2007
I second
Re: Updates On The 2007 Presidential Election by wetinde(m): 11:09am On Apr 30, 2007
Revolution my backside. You all should open your eyes. We have 2 new educated leaders that can stand up for our country. Look I am not happy that there were irregularities during the elections but I am so happy with Yaradua and Goodluck because they are educated men. Please let us move forward.

See dem sef, if dem talk say make una get ready for war now, na una go be the first to escape through the Nigerian border . Abegee make we hear word
Re: Updates On The 2007 Presidential Election by 9ja4eva: 5:36pm On Apr 30, 2007
Hmm,

Its nt sad knowing dey won oh its jst deir party.We hope dey do well oh.
Re: Updates On The 2007 Presidential Election by valem(m): 11:52am On May 02, 2007
All parties rigged d election,but PDP rigged most, what is d future of Naija politics?
Re: Updates On The 2007 Presidential Election by Mariory(m): 4:30pm On May 02, 2007
wetinde:

See them sef, if them talk say make una get ready for war now, na una go be the first to escape through the Nigerian border . Abegee make we hear word

lol didn't you see that the person calling for "revolution" resides in the US.

Nigerian revolution online! grin
Re: Updates On The 2007 Presidential Election by 9ja4eva: 5:29am On May 04, 2007
lol
Re: Updates On The 2007 Presidential Election by Backslider(m): 2:11pm On May 04, 2007
My govt won’t be different from Obasanjo’s–Yar’Adua
By Sun News Publishing
Friday, May 4, 2007

* More Stories on This Section

Only slight changes'' in personalities would happen after May 29, 2007 when the new administration of Alhaji Umaru Musa Yar'adua takes over, the president-elect has announced.

Speaking at a meeting of the honorary international investments council at the state house on Thursday, Yar'adua reaffirmed that his administration would not derail from the policies and programmes of the Obasanjo administration.

He said that ``the policies, focus and direction of government will continue with the same determination,'' noting that members of the council should rest assured that he would build from where Obasanjo had stopped.

The president-elect said that he believed that the establishment of the honorary council, being coordinated by a former British cabinet minister, Lynda Baroness Chalker was in good faith and in the interest of the speedy development of the country.

Earlier, Chalker had congratulated the president-elect and commended the steps that he had so far taken to extend a hand of friendship to members of the opposition. She said that elections have never been perfect in any part of the world, including Europe and the U.S, noting that she was also a victim of electoral malpractice in Britain when ``dead people'' voted against her in one of the elections she contested.

The former British minister therefore appealed to members of the opposition to allow the president-elect to settle down so that he would be able to work on those imperfections that he was already aware of. She said that the incoming administration should be given time to carry on with the good reforms that had been initiated by the Obasanjo administration.

President Obasanjo, who was also at the meeting, briefed Yar'adua on the activities of the council, which, he said, was set up by his administration to attract investments to the country.
Re: Updates On The 2007 Presidential Election by Bankole01(m): 2:42pm On May 04, 2007
Backslider:

My govt won’t be different from Obasanjo’s–Yar’Adua
By Sun News Publishing
Friday, May 4, 2007

* More Stories on This Section

Only slight changes'' in personalities would happen after May 29, 2007 when the new administration of Alhaji Umaru Musa Yar'adua takes over, the president-elect has announced.

President Obasanjo, who was also at the meeting, briefed Yar'adua on the activities of the council, which, he said, was set up by his administration to attract investments to the country.

There will be no difference because thge elections were an Obasanjo victory and an extension of his tenure by proxy.
The truth is yar'Adua has no clue about governance judging from his experience and noo-performance at Katsina State. He was aptly selected for the post of puppet president, where he will dance to the tune played by Obasanjo, with a supporting cast of a rubber stamp NASS (equally chosen (s)elected to perform a duty for the democratic government of Obasanjo for Obasanjo by his stooges.

There will be a 'slight change in personalities', because Yar'Adua cabinet was hand picked to the 'jungle emperor' himself.

Who are we fooling? no serious investor will bring his money to a crime ridden country infested by riggers, thugs and kleptomaniacs.
The shenanigans and charade of the April elections, will further butress the fact that Nigeria is a mere third world country retrogressing and chaired by a pariah and desport.

The opposite of loss of investments will continue to hold sway, until we learn how to clean up our acts.
His ca
Re: Updates On The 2007 Presidential Election by 9ja4eva: 6:47am On May 05, 2007
I hope Yar Adua is kidding.He better gets his acts together and perform

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

If The Yoruba( Omo Oduduwa) Ever Get Independence It Will Worse Than Biafra / Ayo Fayose Fights His Wife For Predicting His 2nd Impeachment / GEJ Just Lost Another Supporter In Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.