Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,895 members, 7,817,636 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:00 PM

Ask your Mechanic ! ! ! Thread - Car Talk (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Ask your Mechanic ! ! ! Thread (62971 Views)

5 Best Kept Secrets Your Mechanic Doesn’t Want You To Know / Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... / How Much Does Your Mechanic Charge You ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask your Mechanic ! ! ! Thread by Nobody: 9:52pm On May 27, 2021
DonnyE:

I don't think it is, I did a little research and I suspect it's the "rod bearing" at the piston and crankshaft..
He has checked all that and he said there isn't any problem with it. Besides the noise isn't there when I'm doing like 30kmph but it starts getting louder gradually as I approach 70 and by 90 i can hear a person talking in the car even with my windows fully up. It sounds like it's coming from the engine and not around the shaft
Re: Ask your Mechanic ! ! ! Thread by DonnyE(m): 3:28am On May 28, 2021
DominusPrime:

He has checked all that and he said there isn't any problem with it. Besides the noise isn't there when I'm doing like 30kmph but it starts getting louder gradually as I approach 70 and by 90 i can hear a person talking in the car even with my windows fully up. It sounds like it's coming from the engine and not around the shaft
It's alright, so have you been using it that for how long now? Seems a have a similar issue. Starts hearing the metal sound from the 2nd or 3rd gear. Seems it's from the engine cos the transmission is extremely smooth. About 6 months now. I use mobil 2000, 5w30
Re: Ask your Mechanic ! ! ! Thread by Nobody: 8:38am On May 28, 2021
DonnyE:

It's alright, so have you been using it that for how long now? Seems a have a similar issue. Starts hearing the metal sound from the 2nd or 3rd gear. Seems it's from the engine cos the transmission is extremely smooth. About 6 months now. I use mobil 2000, 5w30
I've used it like that since the end of last year. Transmission is smooth, engine runs perfectly. If you get any solution pls let me know. I'll do the same too. For now all I've been told is to change the gear
Re: Ask your Mechanic ! ! ! Thread by DonnyE(m): 10:01am On May 28, 2021
DominusPrime:

I've used it like that since the end of last year. Transmission is smooth, engine runs perfectly. If you get any solution pls let me know. I'll do the same too. For now all I've been told is to change the gear
Sure, it's a very small noise that if you don't listen well you won't even hear it. Playing music eliminates that for now. Also remember to change your oil regularly, perhaps we can use it for long until we buy another car.
Re: Ask your Mechanic ! ! ! Thread by joey150(m): 10:06am On May 28, 2021
Hello.

I have a leaking car AC compressor which I think is caused by a bad seal. However, the mechanic is claiming my condenser is blocked and that's why the seal spoilt. He's suggesting I change the condenser and service the compressor.

I doubt it has anything to do with my condenser. I would appreciate any expert opinion.
Re: Ask your Mechanic ! ! ! Thread by Peppermintflav: 10:39am On May 28, 2021
joey150:
Hello.

I have a leaking car AC compressor which I think is caused by a bad seal. However, the mechanic is claiming my condenser is blocked and that's why the seal spoilt. He's suggesting I change the condenser and service the compressor.

I doubt it has anything to do with my condenser. I would appreciate any expert opinion.
If the condenser is blocked it would affect the compressor. You can seek second opinion.
Re: Ask your Mechanic ! ! ! Thread by joey150(m): 12:29pm On May 28, 2021
Peppermintflav:

If the compressor is blocked it would affect the compressor. You can seek second opinion.

Yes. The first mechanic told me it was a compressor seal leak but didn't mention anything about the condenser being bad.
Re: Ask your Mechanic ! ! ! Thread by Nobody: 1:50pm On May 28, 2021
DonnyE:

Sure, it's a very small noise that if you don't listen well you won't even hear it. Playing music eliminates that for now. Also remember to change your oil regularly, perhaps we can use it for long until we buy another car.
Mine isn't small at all. Anyway we will change it soon by God's grace
Re: Ask your Mechanic ! ! ! Thread by EquityandPeace: 12:34pm On May 31, 2021
Good day.
Kindly help me out of this.
I bought a Nigerian used sienna 2000 recently and observed that the fuel consumption is beyond normal and emit black smoke.

An auto Electrician advised me to change the Air Flow Meter which I did. The black smoke, however, reduced only when the engine is not accelerated. Once it is accelerated the black smoke emit and the fuel consumption is excessive.
I contacted another auto Electrician who has asked me to replace the brain box (He said another car model brain box will be “worked” on it to fix the problem).

Please your advice will be appreciated.
Thank you.
Re: Ask your Mechanic ! ! ! Thread by DMechyy: 1:47pm On Jun 01, 2021
EquityandPeace:
Good day.
Kindly help me out of this.
I bought a Nigerian used sienna 2000 recently and observed that the fuel consumption is beyond normal and emit black smoke.

An auto Electrician advised me to change the Air Flow Meter which I did. The black smoke, however, reduced only when the engine is not accelerated. Once it is accelerated the black smoke emit and the fuel consumption is excessive.
I contacted another auto Electrician who has asked me to replace the brain box (He said another car model brain box will be “worked” on it to fix the problem).

Please your advice will be appreciated.
Thank you.

Scan the vehicle.

A bad MAF, ECU can cause black smoke. So are a number of things too.

Something as simple as clogged air filter can too. Bad egr, stuck open injectors, etc.

So scan the vehicle first, and post codes
Re: Ask your Mechanic ! ! ! Thread by senatorken01(m): 9:47pm On Jun 07, 2021
Good evening everyone, pls which synthetic engine oil can i use for my honda civil 2012. I use mobil oil b4 but I'm tired of changing the oil every 3 month. So i want to try synthetic for 6month. How much is it?. Thanks
Re: Ask your Mechanic ! ! ! Thread by disloman(m): 6:54am On Jun 08, 2021
senatorken01:
Good evening everyone, pls which synthetic engine oil can i use for my honda civil 2012. I use mobil oil b4 but I'm tired of changing the oil every 3 month. So i want to try synthetic for 6month. How much is it?. Thanks
Stick to the engine oil that you have been using. You can't just decide to switch engine oil just like that.
Re: Ask your Mechanic ! ! ! Thread by yommytino(m): 6:32pm On Jun 08, 2021
My car AC stopped working 2 weeks ago and after we fixed the coil it picked up again, working perfectly. The guy that fixed it said it got burnt because the radiator is single cell and manipulate the fan to be working continuously.
My questions: will buying double cell radiator have any impact since it's single cell that came with the car?
Will there be any effect on the fan as a result of what he did?
Thanks...
Re: Ask your Mechanic ! ! ! Thread by dru23(m): 12:23am On Jun 09, 2021
senatorken01:

Your car uses 0w20.. Check your oil cap it should tell you ...example below ... I should be bringing in Full synthetic oil very soon .that will last you at least 7k miles.. Read owners manual and it should tell how when to change oil when using full synthetic .........

Please ignore the guy that said that you can't change oil brand ... You can change oil brand as long as it meets the manufacture specification......

Exchange rate is high and auto parts cost as hit the roof. Fake goods and parts all over the market.. Continue using what you are using assuming you are following owners manual and once my goods arrive I will post it .............

You drive a 2012 Honda Civic .. Does engine are not cheap ...do your best till full synthetic arrives....

Re: Ask your Mechanic ! ! ! Thread by dru23(m): 12:29am On Jun 09, 2021
disloman:
Stick to the engine oil that you have been using. You can't just decide to switch engine oil just like that.

He can change from conventional to high mileage to full synthetic .... As long as he follows owners manual or specification........

Plz think before you give advice ....thank you

Re: Ask your Mechanic ! ! ! Thread by ijobaoke: 4:17am On Jun 09, 2021
Hello....my 2006 honda accord power steering fluid dry faster than normal without any visible leak .pls how can I rectify dis ?
Re: Ask your Mechanic ! ! ! Thread by disloman(m): 5:09am On Jun 09, 2021
dru23:

He can change from conventional to high mileage to full synthetic .... As long as he follows owners manual or specification........

Plz think before you give advice ....thank you
The problem with you guys is that you will try to be intelligent but in the process sound stupid. Go back to the man's complain, read and comprehend very well. Compare it with the trash you wrote. I'm not youtube nor google mechanic. I deal with cars everyday.

1 Like

Re: Ask your Mechanic ! ! ! Thread by disloman(m): 5:14am On Jun 09, 2021
dru23:

Your car uses 0w20.. Check your oil cap it should tell you ...example below ... I should be bringing in Full synthetic oil very soon .that will last you at least 7k miles.. Read owners manual and it should tell how when to change oil when using full synthetic .........

Please ignore the guy that said that you can't change oil brand ... You can change oil brand as long as it meets the manufacture specification......

Exchange rate is high and auto parts cost as hit the roof. Fake goods and parts all over the market.. Continue using what you are using assuming you are following owners manual and once my goods arrive I will post it .............

You drive a 2012 Honda Civic .. Does engine are not cheap ...do your best till full synthetic arrives....
Do you now see how you exposed your stupidity to the world to see? Is brands not different from specifications? Just for you to sell your products, you giving trash as advice. I pity those who listen to your advice.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ask your Mechanic ! ! ! Thread by dru23(m): 7:25am On Jun 09, 2021
disloman:
Do you now see how you exposed your stupidity to the world to see? Is brands not different from specifications? Just for you to sell your products, you giving trash as advice. I pity those who listen to your advice.

Re: Ask your Mechanic ! ! ! Thread by dru23(m): 7:27am On Jun 09, 2021
disloman:
The problem with you guys is that you will try to be intelligent but in the process sound stupid. Go back to the man's complain, read and comprehend very well. Compare it with the trash you wrote. I'm not youtube nor google mechanic. I deal with cars everyday.

1 Like

Re: Ask your Mechanic ! ! ! Thread by disloman(m): 7:48am On Jun 09, 2021
dru23:

You are still dumb bro. Wise up

1 Like

Re: Ask your Mechanic ! ! ! Thread by disloman(m): 7:50am On Jun 09, 2021
dru23:

That is how your body is resisting common sense.

1 Like

Re: Ask your Mechanic ! ! ! Thread by dru23(m): 7:56am On Jun 09, 2021
disloman:

Now let me teach 1 or 2 things here.........The young man is tired of using Nigeria Mobil conventional or semi synthetic or whatever it be .. The man now wants to use Full synthetic so that he can have a longer oil change

Simple answer here ... It has been proven over and over again . changing from conventional oil or to synthetic blend to Full synthetic will not damage his engine.. All facts.......even if he decides to use another brand of oil ... He does not have to stick to Mobil oil ...This is very simple as 123.....

You said you fix cars all day etc ..... grin because you pick up screw driver and hammer now u are now a mechanic etc grin... Don't let me open your ignorance here..... Too early in the morning
Re: Ask your Mechanic ! ! ! Thread by dru23(m): 7:58am On Jun 09, 2021
disloman:
You are still dumb bro. Wise up

My brother don't embarrass yourself here
Re: Ask your Mechanic ! ! ! Thread by disloman(m): 8:48am On Jun 09, 2021
dru23:

Now let me teach 1 or 2 things here.........The young man is tired of using Nigeria Mobil conventional or semi synthetic or whatever it be .. The man now wants to use Full synthetic so that he can have a longer oil change

Simple answer here ... It has been proven over and over again . changing from conventional oil or to synthetic blend to Full synthetic will not damage his engine.. All facts.......even if he decides to use another brand of oil ... He does not have to stick to Mobil oil ...This is very simple as 123.....

You said you fix cars all day etc ..... grin because you pick up screw driver and hammer now u are now a mechanic etc grin... Don't let me open your ignorance here..... Too early in the morning
You can see that you are very extremely dumb. Once you have been using a conventional /mineral oil for long time and decided to use either semi or fully synthetic oil, your engine will smoke which is a well known fact. You can only convert using mineral/conventional oil to synthetic not the other way round. There isn't no treated mineral engine oil that can give you a longer mileage due to its viscosity. Yes he can change brands but not the specifications. Hope you now understand. Dumb ass

1 Like

Re: Ask your Mechanic ! ! ! Thread by dru23(m): 8:50am On Jun 09, 2021
disloman:
You can see that you are very extremely dumb. Once you have been using a conventional /mineral oil for long time and decided to use either semi or fully synthetic oil, your engine will smoke which is a well known fact. You can only convert using mineral/conventional oil to synthetic not the other way round. There isn't no treated mineral engine oil that can give you a longer mileage due to its viscosity. Yes he can change brands but not the specifications. Hope you now understand. Dumb ass

JESU..... Which mechanic school you go...i wonder how many customers engine you might have damaged with your ill advice... grin. Continue so that I can expose ur foolishness grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1QDzlJP2m8

Re: Ask your Mechanic ! ! ! Thread by disloman(m): 9:08am On Jun 09, 2021
dru23:

JESU..... Which mechanic school you go
Google yi nó ni sha. Ask from those who are dealing with cars physically and ask what their experiences like. Otondo

1 Like

Re: Ask your Mechanic ! ! ! Thread by adubam(m): 7:54pm On Jun 09, 2021
disloman:
Google yi nó ni sha. Ask from those who are dealing with cars physically and ask what their experiences like. Otondo

shocked shocked shocked
Re: Ask your Mechanic ! ! ! Thread by cashflowpc(m): 6:25am On Jun 14, 2021
Hi guys,

I just bought the Lexus es300. Please I want to go for full service before I start using it.

Please who know a reliable and lexus experienced, trustworthy mechanic in ibadan. Kindly recommend.

And please which engine oil is best for the car.

Thanks in advance for all your responses
Re: Ask your Mechanic ! ! ! Thread by inagbe1: 7:17am On Jun 14, 2021
Good morning everyone in the house. My car (Acura MDX 07) AC is not as cool as it used to be. This started about 4 days ago with the driver's side being less cool than the passenger's side. What could be the problem and how can i fix it.
Re: Ask your Mechanic ! ! ! Thread by Peppermintflav: 10:26am On Jun 14, 2021
inagbe1:
Good morning everyone in the house. My car (Acura MDX 07) AC is not as cool as it used to be. This started about 4 days ago with the driver's side being less cool than the passenger's side. What could be the problem and how can i fix it.
It's low on coolant aka gas.
It's normally caused by a leak in the system.
Re: Ask your Mechanic ! ! ! Thread by cashflowpc(m): 10:56am On Jun 14, 2021

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (31) (Reply)

Toyota Camry AGL627FT Snatched At Gunpoint In Kwara (Photo) / New Innoson Automated Vehicle Plant In Pictures / Ferrari And Lamborghini Spotted In Lagos By FreezeCoolFm (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.