Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,601 members, 7,827,263 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:50 AM

Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? (26449 Views)

Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? / Father Mbaka Invokes God's Judgement On Those Who Speak Evil Against Him / Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by SmithRussell(m): 3:10pm On Feb 10, 2019
CAPSLOCKED:

THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE. ONE DAY.
it's either yhu lack understanding of the Bible, or yhu do not believe in it. . Whichever it is, yhu're still yet tohave an encounter with God - one on one. . And I hope yhu do, one day.
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by BluntBoy(m): 3:11pm On Feb 10, 2019
daveP:
Mr sorry to burst your bubble, but yes there are two kinds.

A case of you mot meditating on the word is what your just displayed.

You people are comedians grin

So, you just think it is enough to say there are two kinds of speaking in tongues and everyone should just swallow it like that.

Abeg, provide evidences. Jesus did not just tell the Devil that he was wrong. Jesus used Bible verses to counter the Devil.

Show me Bible verses, don't just tell me that I am wrong.
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by watino: 3:15pm On Feb 10, 2019
stagger:
Two types exist:

2) For the edification of the church

There is the second form: which usually occurs IN A GATHERING. Here, the Spirit gives utterance, and this comes with an interpretation for the benefit of those present. This occurs when God intends to reveal a divine secret to his people in a gathering.

1 Corinthains 14 verse 3: But he who prophesies speaks to men for their edification, encouragement, and comfort.

Hope this has helped someone. It took me years to get this by revelation.
Of course, there are those who will dismiss these things as utter rubbish. But we are told that the things of God are unto them that are in the world, foolishness.

But they never ask themselves this question: why does nobody question the incantations that are mumbled by occultists and traditionalists when they want to effect problems for people? Are their incantations understood by those who contract them to do these things? They are not to understand the incantations. They only want results.

Why then do we question the gift of speaking in tongues, which is what the devil mimics by giving unto native doctors, ogboni practitioners and occultists the incantations?

Thank you for the explanation. Your first point was okay but the second one to me is not right. Prophecy is different from speaking in tongue. Don't mix the two together.
Happy Sunday
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by henrijin: 3:15pm On Feb 10, 2019
Na the biggest scam after tithe.
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by BluntBoy(m): 3:17pm On Feb 10, 2019
SmithRussell:

Speaking in a language no one understands is not of the Bible. . That's where the interpreter comes in. . So at least, one person understands what is being said; sadly we don't do that in many churches. . And that is a greater sign to unbelievers than just prophecy. But nevertheless, the fact that there is no interpreter doesn't mmake the gift fake, does it?

Back to yhur question: The essence of speaking in unknown tongues (mysteries) is to talk to God when yhu are alone, or prophesy in the church with the help of an interpreter

You people are getting many things wrong with my post.

I have not passed off speaking in tongues as fake. My concern is the usefulness and the basic disregard for how Paul asked us to use it.

What is happening today where people abuse this gift happened in the Early Church as well and Paul had a lot to say about speaking in tongues without interpreters. Without mincing words, he picked prophesying over the speaking in tongues without interpreters.

The essence of a gift is to edify the church. When you pray privately, you are edifying yourself. But we are not to speak in tongues without interpreters when we meet as a church.

1 Like

Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by Originalsly: 3:17pm On Feb 10, 2019
queenitee:

What I'm trying to say is that there is the gift of interpretation of tongues which is for everyone

I guess.

Looked at your dp... hmmm..... I feel threatened!
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by daveP(m): 3:17pm On Feb 10, 2019
BluntBoy:

You people are comedians grin

So, you just think it is enough to say there are two kinds of speaking in tongues and everyone should just swallow it like that.

Abeg, provide evidences. Jesus did not just tell the Devil that he was wrong. Jesus used Bible verses to counter the Devil.

Show me Bible verses, don't just tell me that I am wrong.
1st Corinthians 13v1.

Youre the one being comical.

Why cos instead of disproving with scriptures that it is wrong you are just laughing and jesting upandan. Chai. You try o. Gaaan.
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by queenitee(f): 3:18pm On Feb 10, 2019
daveP:
Im impressed by your knowledge on the matter. dont bother if they dont get it. Why? Cos its right there in the Hily book amd they cant know cos they dont read. Ignorance strong gaaaan.
I guess so, thank you
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by queenitee(f): 3:19pm On Feb 10, 2019
Originalsly:

I guess.

Looked at your dp... hmmm..... I feel threatened!
Threatened?
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by urose93(f): 3:21pm On Feb 10, 2019
dguyindcorner:

Deep thing of the kingdom is hidden from you but to babies and sucklings, it's revealed.

Even if I explain to you, you won't listen because your ears are blocked so that in hearing you will not hear and your heart hardened so you will not understand. Keep wallowing in your foolishness.

Stop insulting our intelligence with the 'deep things of kingdom' shit.
Explain to us why your speaking in tongues can't be understood by the congregation, which is a clear constrast of what happened in the Bible book of Acts 2:1-6.
If you have a Bible, read the above portion and explain to your fellow gullible believers.

1 Like

Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by dguyindcorner(m): 3:24pm On Feb 10, 2019
urose93:

Explain to us why your speaking in tongues can't be understood by the congregation, which is a clear constrast of what happened in the Bible book of Acts 2:1-6.
If you have a Bible, read the above portion and explain to your fellow gullible believers.

1Corinthians 14:2 says, “For he who speaks in a ‘tongue’ addresses God, not man; no one understands him; he is talking of divine secrets in the Spirit”

Let me hear what you have to say about this first.
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by BluntBoy(m): 3:26pm On Feb 10, 2019
daveP:
1st Corinthians 13v1.

Why cos instead of disproving with scriptures that it is wrong you are just laughing and jesting upandan. Chai. You try o. Gaaan.

That chapter is about love.

It is like saying "if you like speak the language of men or angels, without love, you are wasting your time".
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by Originalsly: 3:29pm On Feb 10, 2019
queenitee:

Threatened?

Sorry....terrified. if looks can kill.....I rather someone cut me small small than give me that look!
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by Originalsly: 3:32pm On Feb 10, 2019
urose93:

grin grin....take it easy bro!
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by queenitee(f): 3:34pm On Feb 10, 2019
Originalsly:

Sorry....terrified. if looks can kill.....I rather someone cut me small small than give me that look!
*roll eyes* what look? I wasn't about to kill anyone
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by akinszz: 3:35pm On Feb 10, 2019
Maxi3k:
Rabebebebezamosasalanalele
sasasasasasasakamajeee grin
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by CAPSLOCKED: 3:37pm On Feb 10, 2019
SmithRussell:
it's either yhu lack understanding of the Bible, or yhu do not believe in it. . Whichever it is, yhu're still yet tohave an encounter with God - one on one. . And I hope yhu do, one day.

YOU SPELL "YOU" AS "YHU" AND EXPECT ME TO LISTEN TO YOU? WHAT ARE YOU, 15?
THIS IS NOT YOUR CIRCLE OF FACEBOOK YIPPEE BOYS YOUNG MAN DON'T TALK TO ME ANY FURTHER.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by daveP(m): 3:38pm On Feb 10, 2019
BluntBoy:

That chapter is about love.

It is like saying "if you like speak the language of men or angels, without love, you are wasting your time".

lol. I knew this would come up.

That verse is about expressing the spiritual gifts without love.

Not just about love.

Paul.had issues with the Corinthian Christians cos they seem very expressive with gifts but lacked love.

I.e if you speak the two kinds of tongues but lack love, then you are wasted.

"Though i"
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by daveP(m): 3:41pm On Feb 10, 2019
the thing is the church cant understand both if no interpreter is there. Fact. That is what most of us have controversy with. And not with the kinds.

You in an indigenous church with igbo as the lingua. Someone starts to speak tongues in chinese... No one can understand, except by a very very high probability, there is someone who happens to be in the congregation that knows chinese. Very rare!!
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by BluntBoy(m): 3:44pm On Feb 10, 2019
daveP:
1st Corinthians 13v1.

Let me tell you something. The Bible appears to be weak because of you Christians who read it selectively. When you read the Bible selectively, you make the Bible say whatever you want it to say.

This was exactly what the Devil did when he tried to tempt Jesus. He was quoting the Bible selectively.

The best way to understand the Bible is not to just lift verses because they contain the words you are looking for.

Supposing you are looking for tithes, don't just latch on a verse simply because it contains tithe. If possible, read the whole chapter to have a better grasp of why tithe was mentioned in that particular verse.

Many Christians make it seem like the Bible can be manipulated by anybody. They create this idea in the minds of unbelievers because of the lazy and carnal methods they use in reading the scriptures.

1 Like

Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by JoeOdion(m): 3:45pm On Feb 10, 2019
My earnest prayer is that all the most souls who have commented her out of ignorance or arrogance be saved and delivered..Amen!
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by Nobody: 3:46pm On Feb 10, 2019
Benobute:
All sin can be forgiven except a sin and blasphemy against the holy ghost.. Be careful
Okay
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by Originalsly: 3:50pm On Feb 10, 2019
BluntBoy:

The essence of a gift is to edify the church. When you pray privately, you are edifying yourself. But we are not to speak in tongues without interpreters when we meet as a church.

You said it. The bottom line.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by 1Sharon(f): 3:54pm On Feb 10, 2019
Rednaxelot:
Sakamaje!

None of them understands that gibberish!

What does saka maje mean?
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by BluntBoy(m): 3:56pm On Feb 10, 2019
daveP:

lol. I knew this would come up.

That verse is about expressing the spiritual gifts without love.

Not just about love.

Paul.had issues with the Corinthian Christians cos they seem very expressive with gifts but lacked love.

I.e if you speak the two kinds of tongues but lack love, then you are wasted.

"Though i"

Smh... grin

The verse is not about expressing spiritual gift without love. It rubbished spiritual gift possessed in the absence of love. Didn't you do comprehension passages in school? The whole chapter which contained that verse is about love.

Read a version of that verse:

If I could speak all the languages of earth and of angels, but didn't love others, I would only be a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

This is the third verse of that chapter:

If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

This is the fourth verse of that chapter:

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by MadamExcellency: 3:58pm On Feb 10, 2019
EVILFOREST:
All NIGERIAN TONGUE SPEAKERS are fake and need Rehabilitations with psychiatry reviews
GOD knows they are all FAKE

In your little sense, you speak for God.

When I received speaking in tongues through the Holy Spirit, I hesitated, I questioned the Spirit and I also demanded for interpretations in several Nigerian languages to confirm that the tongues were from God.

By God's grace, I speak several intelligible languages and my prayers and songs are interchangeable with English and local languages while speaking in tongues and I am 60% to 80% aware of what I am praying or singing.

Some people's speaking in tongues maybe fake but there are originals.
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by stanliwise(m): 4:00pm On Feb 10, 2019
PlugBlogng:
Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It?

https://plugblog.com.ng/do-people-who-speak-in-tongues-fake-it-or-understand-it/

I have always been spiritual than religious, i believe God is an entity who cannot be reached through a single source, he’s like a firm rooted tree with sprouted branches. We all say we worship same God then why do we feel our religion is the only and direct source to him?

Recently my neighbor came to preach to me, he’s been on my neck ever since i told him i wasn’t religious and wouldn’t attend his church. The day he came to preach we argued and argued, i told him God cannot be worshiped through a single source, if you invite me to a mosque i will attend, if you invite me to an Osun festival i will attend i don’t have to attend a church because i am seeking God.

I told him God gave us freewill to think, he gave us scientists and doctors and plastic surgeons, he gave us pharmacists and medicines, he wanted us to know there was more to him thats why we discovered other universes, thats why we can clone a human thats why we ca do IVF, thats why we can do inter sex change and etc.

I reminded him that Christians see Muslims as unbelievers and Muslims see Christians as infidels, none of them are right of course but what do they know. He told me to repent that hell is real, i told him i have seen hell, i have seen the rapture more times than i can count, i told him not to believe everything he read in the bible as it was written by human beings like us, he got up looked at me and said “Na God hand u de” lol.
Now back to my question, i get fascinated when people speak in tongue, in some churches if you dont speak in tongues u never belong, i had a flatmate in my hundred level then who stays with her boyfriend, after dem nack finish you go hear her then speak in tongue lol.

During the halleluyah challenge, i was praying, crying, in spirit, whenever i pray to God i cry, because i feel his awesomeness through me, even when im singing praises, during this time i was praying i found myself speaking a language i do not understand, i was scared so i stopped lest i blasphemed, i continued praying and it started again, but i couldnt understand what i was saying so i stopped again.

Dear christians, when you speak in tongues do you understand what you’re talking about? i thought some people were gifted with interpreting this speaking in tongues while others spake it? how come we have less interpreters and more speakers?

SOURCE: TALK2BELLA

God is not the author of confusion, how can you worship God in multiple ways?? Two opposite cannot be true at the same time.
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by stanliwise(m): 4:04pm On Feb 10, 2019
Freehuman:

Lol. Is the holy ghost not The Father(Jehovah your God) who gave his son who is equal to him to come and die for his creation so that when you kill and torture and one day you believe that The Father sent Himself, who is also his own son , in human form to die, you will have eternal life but those who do good to mankind and fail to believe that a loving father who has power to create everything will kill his son first and spare satan so that he will kill satan later one day and this day is only known to the father not the Son and the holy spirit who are part of the father.

I'm at Lekki and cannot see a big aeroplane trying to land at Murtala Mohammed International Airport but on that fateful day , I'll be in Nigeria and see horses and Chariots land at a mountain at Israel and even hear a trumpet sound. And guess what when it's morning in Jerusalem it will be late in the Night in Nigeria so I'll probably be sleeping and wait for the next day, my last comfortable sleep. A big library will be opened and billions of books containing the account of what every human being did will be brought out one by one and the Father will read page by page and judge and after a million years of reading he will finally get to Joshua and applaud him for killing the innocent people of Canaan, raping their women and coveting their properties and forcefully spying on and taking their land, he will throw King Saul of Israel into hell fire for not killing everything the Amaelites owned , for feeling pity and sparing to kill some life , after all obedience is better than sacrifice. Then king David, son of Jesse, a man after his own heart will be given a warm embrace for killing tens of thousands of people at the Father's will thereby surpassing what his predecessor Saul could do.

I'll wait for another millions of years as I watch Billions of Chinese, Koreans , Americans , English people thrown into the furnace. As my book of record becomes visible my Great Grand father and mother will be thrown into the furnace for not believing what they never knew or heard of.

Then my older neighbour stands before the judgement throne and I quickly remind him of an incidence at a market in Lagos millions of years ago where women cried and wept for a young boy who was lynched and burnt to death for stealing a cup of garri. We had argued for days how men were wicked to burn one another for just stealing. But here we are in front of a just and loving father ready to burn me for not just believing what any human on earth could prove to me was true.
-Freehuman
No place in the bible describes the judgement day the way you did. You're not even good with imagination self. Your conclusions I am afraid is built on a very shaky foundation.
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by MadamExcellency: 4:06pm On Feb 10, 2019
stanliwise:
God is not the author of confusion, how can you worship God in multiple ways?? Two opposite cannot be true at the same time.

The guy is confused, darkness and light existing in the same geometrical line.
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by SmithRussell(m): 4:10pm On Feb 10, 2019
CAPSLOCKED:

YOU SPELL "YOU" AS "YHU" AND EXPECT ME TO LISTEN TO YOU? WHAT ARE YOU, 15?
THIS IS NOT YOUR CIRCLE OF FACEBOOK YIPPEE BOYS YOUNG MAN DON'T TALK TO ME ANY FURTHER.
Yhu constantly violates Rule11 and The 'O' I replaced with 'H' now becomes yhur problem. . It makes my post pointless. . What are yhu, 16?

#Shame
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by akinszz: 4:19pm On Feb 10, 2019
1Sharon:

What does saka maje mean?
scam grin
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by Nobody: 4:19pm On Feb 10, 2019
Those guys are fake.
Nigerians don't read their Bible, their pastors read for them that's why they are so gullible.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

What Are The Benefits Of Praying In Tongues? - Joseph Prince / Thunder Lightning Strikes At Rwanda Seventh-Day Adventist Church Kills 16 / The Hand Of God Is On Saraki' - Prophet Omotosho Makes Shocking Revelation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.