Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,974 members, 7,814,311 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:51 AM

Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? (26370 Views)

Must Every Believer Speak In Tongues As An Evidence Of Having The Holy Spirit? / Father Mbaka Invokes God's Judgement On Those Who Speak Evil Against Him / Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by 4ckTOTO: 4:30pm On Feb 10, 2019
The first people that spoke in tongues didn't understand what they spoke but people around them did. These naija idiot ranting in tongues are just MAD
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by kumulus(m): 4:30pm On Feb 10, 2019
Before you criticize, see the issue at hand from a place of understanding...view with the lens of love.

Let them who speak in tongue do so, it's no business of anyone.

Speaking in tongues imo is a very good spiritual tool but do they who use it understand what they do? I can't say!
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by Nobody: 5:05pm On Feb 10, 2019
PlugBlogng:
Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It?

https://plugblog.com.ng/do-people-who-speak-in-tongues-fake-it-or-understand-it/

I have always been spiritual than religious, i believe God is an entity who cannot be reached through a single source, he’s like a firm rooted tree with sprouted branches. We all say we worship same God then why do we feel our religion is the only and direct source to him?

Recently my neighbor came to preach to me, he’s been on my neck ever since i told him i wasn’t religious and wouldn’t attend his church. The day he came to preach we argued and argued, i told him God cannot be worshiped through a single source, if you invite me to a mosque i will attend, if you invite me to an Osun festival i will attend i don’t have to attend a church because i am seeking God.

I told him God gave us freewill to think, he gave us scientists and doctors and plastic surgeons, he gave us pharmacists and medicines, he wanted us to know there was more to him thats why we discovered other universes, thats why we can clone a human thats why we ca do IVF, thats why we can do inter sex change and etc.

I reminded him that Christians see Muslims as unbelievers and Muslims see Christians as infidels, none of them are right of course but what do they know. He told me to repent that hell is real, i told him i have seen hell, i have seen the rapture more times than i can count, i told him not to believe everything he read in the bible as it was written by human beings like us, he got up looked at me and said “Na God hand u de” lol.
Now back to my question, i get fascinated when people speak in tongue, in some churches if you dont speak in tongues u never belong, i had a flatmate in my hundred level then who stays with her boyfriend, after dem nack finish you go hear her then speak in tongue lol.

During the halleluyah challenge, i was praying, crying, in spirit, whenever i pray to God i cry, because i feel his awesomeness through me, even when im singing praises, during this time i was praying i found myself speaking a language i do not understand, i was scared so i stopped lest i blasphemed, i continued praying and it started again, but i couldnt understand what i was saying so i stopped again.

Dear christians, when you speak in tongues do you understand what you’re talking about? i thought some people were gifted with interpreting this speaking in tongues while others spake it? how come we have less interpreters and more speakers?

SOURCE: TALK2BELLA

https://www.nairaland.com/4872217/99-tongues-spoken-church-fake

https://www.nairaland.com/4808209/many-mistakes-apostle-pauls-teachings/4#75583233

https://www.nairaland.com/5014147/allahu-akbar-now-joined-list
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by princetom1(m): 5:19pm On Feb 10, 2019
dguyindcorner:

If you're a good Bible student, you will have found more than 3 verses in my comment.

No, pls quite them
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by olamariamjonez(m): 5:29pm On Feb 10, 2019
Its all depends on your belief.
What i can say is that we like show in Nigeria.
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by mechanics(m): 5:30pm On Feb 10, 2019
From the story you gave that people should not believe all what is written in the Bible is a lie from the pit of hell, the bible was written by Inspired men of God, can you compare yourself with Paul the Apostle and a host of others, being they were human beings does not mean we should not follow their foot steps, the were human beings but they made themselves pure, chaste and holy and they didn't mind the mundane things of the world, infact they are spirit filled and they hear from God always, that's what made them different from us, we too can be like them if only we follow in their foot steps.
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by paulpery: 5:55pm On Feb 10, 2019
It fake.early Christians spoke in tongues( real) understand able language. Christians nowadays bables like babies. Not understandable, mere noise
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by olawooro: 6:19pm On Feb 10, 2019
DipoAy:
This is actually one topic that I have always wanted closure on but nobody has been able to provide for me.. When I am in church and I happen to be beside someone that 'speaks in tongues' it makes me feel inferior. Like I am a sinner. I am a cherubim and seraphim member. In my church, worship must have gone deep before people start going into trance, Buh when I am in my fellowship in school, just a simple let close ours and ask God for ....... I would have started hearing all manners of tongues. And worship hasn't even started yet. I am not attacking anything or anybody. Just saying what has been on my mind. Whoever is more knowledgeable should please provide better answers
Thank God you're a C&S, where at least, there will be an interpreter. I remember an incident some years back, when a lady, in a Baptist church during their vigil, went in trance. They had to go and wake a c&s prophet in his house, who interpreted for her and told them all she was saying.

Speaking in tongue is just one of the 12 spiritual gifts listed in 1 Corinthians, chapter 12. Not everybody can speak in tongue. Holy Spirit gives these gifts to each believer as He pleases. He gives to some, gift of faith, to some word of knowledge, to some prophecy, to some gift of revelation, to some healing, to some ability to interpret tongues, to some ability to perform miracle.

Mind you, I personally I don't believe in speaking in tongue by all these Nigerian Pentecostals. Like the one you experience in your fellowship on campus. All what go for speaking in tongue among them is mere babbling. It has nothing to do with speaking in tongue through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by 1Sharon(f): 6:31pm On Feb 10, 2019
akinszz:
scam grin

Lol..Ok is that Yoruba? Is it another Lagos slang?
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by Kc3000: 6:47pm On Feb 10, 2019
I'm also baffled by the phenomenon of 'speaking in tongues' where the speaker blurts out incomprehensible babbles in the name of prayer. I've had many arguments with fellow Christians about this and the best answer I've gotten is that it's praying in the spirit and no one around needs to understand it. My own sister, while in secondary school, was also confused about this whole thing that she asked God to reveal to her if it was truly from Him. So, she was in a prayer meeting with other students and people were 'speaking in tongues', and she asked God again to give her an answer. Apparently, my sister who is Igbo and was going to secondary school at FGGC Owerri at the time, found herself praying in Yoruba. She doesn't speak a lick of Yoruba and did not even realize at the time, until someone next to her who speaks Yoruba said "hey, so you speak Yoruba". (Mind you, this was a school with lots of students from Lagos and many other parts of the country). Shocked by what was happening, my sister placed her hand over her mouth, and she said it felt very hot and her lips were quivering.
My sister believes she got her answer from God that day, and in her case, she spoke an actual language that she had never spoken and people around her were able to understand the language.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by akinszz: 6:49pm On Feb 10, 2019
1Sharon:

not Yoruba word grin grin grin Just slang grin

1 Like

Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by MuttleyLaff: 8:27pm On Feb 10, 2019
Rednaxelot:
Sakamaje!
None of them understands that gibberish!

1Sharon:
What does saka maje mean?

akinszz:
scam grin

1Sharon:

akinszz:
not Yoruba word grin grin grin Just slang grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WaJ7F6TF7o
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by ElsonMorali: 9:00pm On Feb 10, 2019
queenitee:

Oh okay

Yup. wink
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by janettee(f): 12:39am On Feb 11, 2019
CAPSLOCKED:

YOU SPELL "YOU" AS "YHU" AND EXPECT ME TO LISTEN TO YOU? WHAT ARE YOU, 15?
THIS IS NOT YOUR CIRCLE OF FACEBOOK YIPPEE BOYS YOUNG MAN DON'T TALK TO ME ANY FURTHER.
Lmao grin..

1 Like

Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by delejames(m): 10:01am On Feb 11, 2019
erenax:
Skiborobo skibo skeeborobbo skibo. Yeba
Oshey Baddest! > grin

2 Likes

Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by Ahijobuzuzu(m): 2:04pm On Feb 11, 2019
My own experience is this - back in school days I didn't believe in speaking in tongues in fact I stay away from any such church. One Sunday morning I woke alone in my room and I started singing praises & worship songs asking the Holy Spirit to come then suddenly what I had rejected all along came upon me - I started speaking in tongues. No one layed hands on me in fact I don't go to church in those days. So I will say to anyone is this ask, believe & ask God, I still don't understand why I speak in tongues or the benefit but it's real.
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by QnVee: 5:28pm On Feb 11, 2019
I read the Scriptures like most everyone. I believe in speaking in tongues through the Holy Spirit. Why? Because it happened to me years ago and have not happened since. I was at a service and we were praisng God. I stood there thanking him for bringing me through my trials. While praising I felt the peacefulness of the holy spirit and my tongue took off on its own with no self control as it spoke in an unfamiliar language. I knew what I was saying and conveying to God but I had no control as my tongue seemed to take off in another language. I was not faking. After the service while riding home my friends said I was speaking in tongues during the praise service. I knew it but wasn't sure whether or not they were able to hear it so I had planned to be quiet about it. I didn't understand why it happened at the time. That was over 30 years ago and although I have felt the holy spirit moving I have never spoken in tongues again. Yes I feel some people fake it in an effort to bolster their "holiness", popularity, and offerings. Some have crept in uawares. Speaking in tongues when one is filled with the holy spirit, is real. If one is truly living in the spirit and not fleshly it's easy to recognize people who are faking it. God gives us the spirit and gift of discernment. We must remember God is a spirit and the only way we can serve him is in spirit and truth.
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by PlugBlogng: 1:31am On Feb 12, 2019
God help us amen
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by Ahijobuzuzu(m): 3:25pm On Feb 15, 2019
QnVee:
I read the Scriptures like most everyone. I believe in speaking in tongues through the Holy Spirit. Why? Because it happened to me years ago and have not happened since. I was at a service and we were praisng God. I stood there thanking him for bringing me through my trials. While praising I felt the peacefulness of the holy spirit and my tongue took off on its own with no self control as it spoke in an unfamiliar language. I knew what I was saying and conveying to God but I had no control as my tongue seemed to take off in another language. I was not faking. After the service while riding home my friends said I was speaking in tongues during the praise service. I knew it but wasn't sure whether or not they were able to hear it so I had planned to be quiet about it. I didn't understand why it happened at the time. That was over 30 years ago and although I have felt the holy spirit moving I have never spoken in tongues again. Yes I feel some people fake it in an effort to bolster their "holiness", popularity, and offerings. Some have crept in uawares. Speaking in tongues when one is filled with the holy spirit, is real. If one is truly living in the spirit and not fleshly it's easy to recognize people who are faking it. God gives us the spirit and gift of discernment. We must remember God is a spirit and the only way we can serve him is in spirit and truth.
. That's how it happened to me too, I didn't speak again for months but I later sought it for months until someone told me to believe I have received it by faith, I read Hebrews 11 & prayed afterwards and ever since I still have the gift. So try it

1 Like

Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by Beey(f): 8:20pm On Feb 15, 2019
Rednaxelot:
Sakamaje!

None of them understands that gibberish!
If you don’t understand the doctrine of speaking in tongues, it’s better you just pass than call it gibberish.
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by Beey(f): 8:27pm On Feb 15, 2019
SmithRussell:
Interesting. . I do believe in tongues. . But whether it's being faked or not, I can't tell. .

MODIFIED:

Speaking in unknown tongues is real; it's not possible to tell if a person is faking it since no one understands it, but God. .

That being said, I think the real question here should be "Do People Who Speak in Tongues Do It According To The Bible's Teaching?" Most of the times, the answer is 'NO'...

I attended a church and at a point, we were instructed to pray in the Holy Ghost; I've also seen preachers who argue that speaking in tongues is a sign to show that yhu've received the Spirit, therefore, it is a must to speak in tongues..

What does the Bible actually say about speaking in tongues in the church?

In Corinthians, Apostle Paul said that we should desire more the gift of prophecy (which could be likened to speaking in tongues of men), than the gift of unknown tongues. . Because the gift of prophecy edifies the people who are listening (the whole church) but the gift of tongues edifies only the person saying it (as people won't know when to say amen)..
He said that he speaks in tongues more than the rest of the members, but in the church, he would rather say five words of understanding that a thousand in unknown tongue. .
He also said that there must be an interpreter if ever anyone is being led to speak in unknown tongues so that the crowd will understand what the person is saying. .

He went further to instruct that only ONE person should speak in unknown tongue at a time (as unbelievers might think they are mad if everyone starts saying what they don't understand with no one to interpret)...

But sadly, some Pentecostals don't like the chapter as it condemns women speaking in church. .

P.S. I dedicate my first FTC since 2013 to Osayuwa P, happy birthday love. . And also to my 400L CPE brethren
I beg to differ.The teachings of Paul have been used to silence women for a long time.When a scripture is written, There’s always a background story.The churches that the Apostle Paul wrote to, their women had become unruly. That’s why they were advised to be silent in church.Due to the rivalry, they were advised to not only pay attention to outward dressing of plaiting hair & wearing jewelry but, rather develop a peaceful character.it Was to a specific people at a specific time.I don’t believe that it was for all women.If you read Joel , there the Lord talks of pouring out His spirit on all flesh.To me it means both mean & women.I refuse to be silenced by doctrines of men.Had Jesus himself said women should not talk about him, would have been different .Jesus said after divorce one shouldn’t remarry, I believe that.But the teachings of Paul will not silence me.I refuse to be silenced especially because I know that scripture wasn’t for all women.

1 Like

Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by Beey(f): 8:28pm On Feb 15, 2019
MJBOLT:
i know a church where the members even sing in tongues.fake rubbish
You need to understand that the gifts that God gives are irrevocable.He is not taking the gift away from you.Based on the above scripture, you see it’s Biblical to sing both in the Spirit & in the understanding also.

Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by Beey(f): 8:32pm On Feb 15, 2019
ElsonMorali:
It is always faked. They believe that when you speak in tongues (read gibberish) that you are advancing spiritually.

That's utterly laughable.

The disciples of Christ according to the bible spoke in tongues. I.e, they spoke their own language and others who didn't understand Aramaic (the language Jesus spoke when he was on earth) heard them in their own different tongues.
Tongues of men are the earthly languages.

Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by Beey(f): 8:34pm On Feb 15, 2019
CAPSLOCKED:

YOU CAN'T TELL IF IT'S REAL OR FAKE, BUT YET, "YOU BELIEVE"??
WHAT DO YOU REALLY BELIEVE?

WHY THE MEN WHO SPOKE IN TONGUES IN THE BIBLE SPOKE DIFFERENT "TONGUES" UNDERSTOOD BY HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE, WHILE TODAY, THE EXCUSE FOR PEOPLE NOT UNDERSTANDING YOUR GIBBERISH SPEAKING IN TONGUE IS THAT ONLY GOD UNDERSTANDS IT? HAHAHA.. grin
As you can see, tongues are different.The tongues of men refers to the earthly languages but as you can see, those are not the only tongues.

Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by Truefaith: 4:43am On Feb 16, 2019
groovie:

Find this book: Tongues beyond the upper room, by Kenneth hagin. You will receive the truth of tongues

Disaster!

So, if you must get corroboration for a thing, you must go to a demonically possessed person?

Kenneth Hagin was demonically possessed.

He is the last human being a sane man would read to get an idea what God said about a thing.

There is only ONE type of tongues in the Bible. It is clearly described in Acts 2:5-11. It is languages, earthly languages: people suddenly - and fluently - speaking, and interpreting, languages they never learned.

Is that not the miracle worthy of God?

Any other thing is from the Source and Fountain of deception: Satan. That is the person working on EACH and EVERYONE speaking languages of demons they call 'tongues' in Nigeria.

They are demonically possessed.

Do you really like to know what the Bible teaches on tongues? Here is the material:

www.thetruechristianfaith.com/a-biblical-study-on-tongues/
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by Truefaith: 5:18am On Feb 16, 2019
QnVee:
... I knew what I was saying and conveying to God but I had no control as my tongue seemed to take off in another language. I was not faking.

And you never read in the Bible: "The spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets"? 1 Corinthians 14:32. You pushed away God's words in preference for your friend's opinions?

And you still don't know that having "no control as my tongue seemed to take off" is the definition of being demon-possessed?

You didn't need to fake it: there are more than enough deceiving spirits and fallen angels capable of giving you any unbiblical experience your mind may want on earth.

Read the Bible.

The truth is worse than you can imagine.

www.thetruechristianfaith.com/the-truth-is-worse-than-you-can-imagine/
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by ElsonMorali: 3:41pm On Feb 16, 2019
Beey:
Tongues of men are the earthly languages.

OK, so if this is so then I have two questions.

First, how come the disciples spoke in tongues and the others heard them in their own languages.

Second, why then did the Bible say there must be someone to interpret otherwise it doesn't edify anybody?
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by SmithRussell(m): 4:22pm On Feb 16, 2019
Beey:
I beg to differ.The teachings of Paul have been used to silence women for a long time.When a scripture is written, There’s always a background story.The churches that the Apostle Paul wrote to, their women had become unruly. That’s why they were advised to be silent in church.Due to the rivalry, they were advised to not only pay attention to outward dressing of plaiting hair & wearing jewelry but, rather develop a peaceful character.it Was to a specific people at a specific time.I don’t believe that it was for all women.If you read Joel , there the Lord talks of pouring out His spirit on all flesh.To me it means both mean & women.I refuse to be silenced by doctrines of men.Had Jesus himself said women should not talk about him, would have been different .Jesus said after divorce one shouldn’t remarry, I believe that.But the teachings of Paul will not silence me.I refuse to be silenced especially because I know that scripture wasn’t for all women.
This is the problem. . . The part where he addressed speaking of tongues in the Corinthian church was for everybody but where he condemned women speaking was for only the Corinthian church. . And where in the scripture did yhu get that 'unruly' story; and even if so , aren't church women unruly these days??

And about the Joel's prophecy, having the Spirit is the first thing in being born again. . Not being able to teach in a church doesn't mean yhu can't be a missionary, no!

And because an instruction doesn't go well with yhu it becomes 'Doctrine of Men'?? I pray God forgives yhu - A typical Pentecostal

1 Like

Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by Beey(f): 9:57pm On Feb 16, 2019
SmithRussell:
This is the problem. . . The part where he addressed speaking of tongues in the Corinthian church was for everybody but where he condemned women speaking was for only the Corinthian church. . And where in the scripture did yhu get that 'unruly' story; and even if so , aren't church women unruly these days??

And about the Joel's prophecy, having the Spirit is the first thing in being born again. . Not being able to teach in a church doesn't mean yhu can't be a missionary, no!

And because an instruction doesn't go well with yhu it becomes 'Doctrine of Men'?? I pray God forgives yhu - A typical Pentecostal

Joel’s scripture where did you
Get the interpretation? These days everyone feels their church has the right doctrines.You sound very judgemental & self-righteous.Do me a favor, pray for yourself I don’t need your prayers.Let me stick to my faith & you stick
To yours.Live & let live.When it’s all said & done only the Lord alone knows those who are His.
Re: Do People Who Speak In Tongues Fake It Or Understand It? by Beey(f): 10:03pm On Feb 16, 2019
ElsonMorali:

OK, so if this is so then I have two questions.

First, how come the disciples spoke in tongues and the others heard them in their own languages.

Second, why then did the Bible say there must be someone to interpret otherwise it doesn't edify anybody?
As the Bible says on the day of Pentecost after the Holy Ghost Came to the upper room, the Spirit If God gave them utterance & they spoke in new tongues. They went preaching the Gospel in different languages which were understood by those present .However, the Bible also records that if you speak in tongues you don’t understand.Meaning there are other kinds of tongues that cannot be understood.And I think in a public place when one receives a message in the form of tongues, that’s where an interpreter comes in.And I think it also records that there should be 2 interpreters to confirm the message.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Chris Oyakhilome's Mother And Benny Hinn On The Altar (Photos, Video) / Enugu Healing River Is A Disaster Waiting To Happen – Experts / Its Like The Story About Christ Embassy Is Real Oh! Witnessed Personally

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.