Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,542 members, 7,812,692 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:36 PM

How Igbo Leaders Caused Nigeria's Current National Political Problems - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Igbo Leaders Caused Nigeria's Current National Political Problems (12443 Views)

Tinubu: We All Caused Nigeria’s Woes, We Must Salvage It Together / How Awo's Indignization Decree Of 1972 Caused Nigeria's Decay / Stop Abusing Buhari Over Rivers State Political Problems - Abe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Igbo Leaders Caused Nigeria's Current National Political Problems by lastempero: 10:30pm On Mar 07, 2019
Igbo matter will kill many people this year.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbo Leaders Caused Nigeria's Current National Political Problems by Nobody: 10:31pm On Mar 07, 2019
gidgiddy:

Those who have been ruling Nigeria for the last 52 years did not try to get out of the pit. They dug deeper into the pit, made it worse, then blamed the Igbos for being in pit.

They did far much worse than Igbos but love to blame Igbos

Like as if Igbos haven't also been in government since then. Trying to absolve yourselves from blame, I see.

4 Likes

Re: How Igbo Leaders Caused Nigeria's Current National Political Problems by cute9ja: 10:39pm On Mar 07, 2019
Abi o cheesy
5thElement:

Like as if Igbos haven't also been in government since then. Trying to absolve yourselves from blame, I see.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbo Leaders Caused Nigeria's Current National Political Problems by Odingo1: 10:54pm On Mar 07, 2019
ItsMeAboki:
God punish any Igbo man who should ever again open his mouth and insult Lord Lugard; apparently every regional leader had wanted to reverse the amalgamation or have a secession clause inserted in the constitution for any dissatisfied region to have the right to later break away and go its own way should it choose to do so - all but one leader fought against it and successfully got the backing of the British to squash it; that person was not other than Nnamdi Azikiwe.
Are you not ashamed of yourself that in the past 52 years your people cannot change what Nnamdi Azikiwe has done, are you people morons or imbeciles.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbo Leaders Caused Nigeria's Current National Political Problems by cute9ja: 10:57pm On Mar 07, 2019
For starers, please let's not even go near level of education and intellectual competence, you are no match for me (Don't even make me go into details)

Secondly, i did not write the article, i only shared it because i knew it was a very sensitive write-up that will generate a cornucopia of respondents, and evidently i was not wrong.

Nobody has the monopoly of knowledge, we all make mistakes and learn everyday, people like you that bash people on the internet and feel like 24/7 encyclopedias are inconsequential in real life.

Finally, I really wonder who you are telling that the South South was carved out of the Western/Mid-Western and Eastern region?

Did I at any point say otherwise about the South-South?

You know that they say about empty barrels.........

Born2Breed:

This is the reason I blame the Nigeria's educational system. Intelligent Nigerians are doing everything possible to educate themselves on the history of this country while some still depend on copy and paste without proper research or even reading what they are pasting.

The Current South South today was carved out of the Western/Mid-Western and Eastern region.

Most names there were from former Western / Mid Western region.

You need to understand history from the view point of every one before coming out with an unbiased compilation of historical events. You need more education kid.

4 Likes

Re: How Igbo Leaders Caused Nigeria's Current National Political Problems by BaaleOko: 10:57pm On Mar 07, 2019
fjjc:

Your bastard Igbo generation are stupid.
At least I have a generation, you will die a lonely miserable loser without a generation.

4 Likes

Re: How Igbo Leaders Caused Nigeria's Current National Political Problems by Xander85: 11:03pm On Mar 07, 2019
ipodstinks:
Oh o. Nice one. But tell me, why did Azikwe against Secession clause sir? I like it as there is no insult now.

Zik was an idealist who wrongly believed 'one Nigeria' stood a chance of success! I'm cutting him some slack due of his pan-Nigerian childhood and upbringing which shaped his worldview!

Now if you're a 'one Nigeria' apostle, Zik should be your god shouldn't he? If however you're not a 'one Nigeria' apostle, yet keep quiet and allow things to continue the way they are, it stands to reason that you're either a two-face hypocrite or a coward!

Hope that answered your question?

7 Likes

Re: How Igbo Leaders Caused Nigeria's Current National Political Problems by cute9ja: 11:03pm On Mar 07, 2019
Again another dingbat trying to play the education card, the only way you will be better than me is if you have a Ph.D (If i hear say you get grin)

Dear Mr Know-it-all, I made a wild guess, because i wasn't so sure at that moment. and guesses are not supposed to be 100% accurate, are they?

People that failed GNS 101 are not hard to identify.

SuperIgbo1:

Which institution produced you?

4 Likes

Re: How Igbo Leaders Caused Nigeria's Current National Political Problems by cute9ja: 11:08pm On Mar 07, 2019
sad sad sad This is sad sha! - We can never be one if this persists
5thElement:

Were you expecting intelligent conversation about the articles you posted?

Don't. Just get your basket ready. They are going to heap insults on you.

1 Like

Re: How Igbo Leaders Caused Nigeria's Current National Political Problems by ItsMeAboki(m): 11:11pm On Mar 07, 2019
Odingo1:

Are you not ashamed of yourself that in the past 52 years your people cannot change what Nnamdi Azikiwe has done, are you people morons or imbeciles.

The morons and imbeciles are those who keep blaming others for their own mistakes - very silly set of ppl.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbo Leaders Caused Nigeria's Current National Political Problems by Xander85: 11:11pm On Mar 07, 2019
cute9ja:
For starers, please let's not even go near level of education and intellectual competence, you are no match for me (Don't even make me go into details)

Secondly, i did not write the article, i only shared it because i knew it was a very sensitive write-up that will generate a cornucopia of respondents, and evidently i was not wrong.

Nobody has the monopoly of knowledge, we all make mistakes and learn everyday, people like you that bash people on the internet and feel like 24/7 encyclopedias are inconsequential in real life.

Finally, I really wonder who you are telling that the South South was carved out of the Western/Mid-Western and Eastern region?

Did I at any point say otherwise about the South-South?

You know that they say about empty barrels.........

Oh please, spare us the pretence! You knew exactly what you were doing when you posted this revisionist, one-sided cra'p! Saying you didn't author the article but just innocently posted it because you're looking for a detached and dispassionate analysis of the points raised is bullshit! You expected dispassionate discourse on such a Igbo-bashing thread on nairaland!? shocked Dude, get real!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Igbo Leaders Caused Nigeria's Current National Political Problems by cute9ja: 11:12pm On Mar 07, 2019
As expected wink
T9ksy:
Thanks Op..........bookmarked.

Not at all surprised at their juvenille responses as they obviously have no evidence/s to debunk the facts contained in your post.

Re: How Igbo Leaders Caused Nigeria's Current National Political Problems by cute9ja: 11:14pm On Mar 07, 2019
The most intelligent contribution on this thread in my opinion. Thank you for being unbiased too.
eurogee:
I am a full blooded igbo from Ideato North local government area of imo state.

I had read countless accounts of pre-independent Nigeria authored by renown local and foreign scholars. Before I came into contact with these books, I used to hold the belief that igbos are matreated in Nigeria. But after reading these books, I began to tell those who care to listen that IGBOS are the architect of their problems. And I will maintain this stance without sentiment for as long as I know the truth.

I regret to say that most of the post civil war Igbos are uninformed about the past. And that's very correct. They are being fed half truths by their kins. This is just the truth that has no hiding place.

I always say this; there was no reason at all for January 1966 coups. And for Ironsi to have paid blind eye service to the coupists after being caught, is the height of atrocity, and an intolerable slap to the faces of the people whose leaders were unfairly murdered in the course of that stupid coups. In holding this view, I knew there were prior consensus to the effect that the coupists be spared in order to persuade them to lay down arms but that's bullshit.

The truth is that my people are highly competitive in nature. And when they spot an opportunity, they'd want to be all out to seize it. Nothing is wrong with this when you do it without making noise of being smarter than other tribes, or having subjugation of other tribes in mind. Otherwise, you'd draw undue attention to yourself, and they people you are trying to outsmart would develop eagle eye to make sure they frustrate your wicked ambition.

The politicians of SE decent had subjugation of other Nigerians in mind. This is an undeniable truth. This fact shaped their stance on most national political issues and defined their actions in pre-independent and early post-independent Nigeria. Igbos wanted to be power brokers for not only Nigeria but also individual regions. Unfortunately, fate does not always fall in line according to plans. We found ourselves where we had wished for other Nigerians.

This is just the truth judged by the past happenstances. Don't come here to abuse yourself, because I read widely and I know for sure that what I just said is the truth. I don't stand to be corrected. Rather, go and read the history! The selfishness and stupidity of our forebearers got us where we are today!

For us igbos to find our stand again in national politics, we need to ditch our highly entrenched wrongful beliefs. We need to be apologetics over the "brigandages" of our forbearers. We need to show remorse over the stupidities of those we consider our political sages, and show willingness to embrace the concept of one Nigeria which we remained the architect of until the twist of fate happened.

May God open the eyes of my people to the truth.

May God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Signed
Nwa Afo Ideato North.

6 Likes

Re: How Igbo Leaders Caused Nigeria's Current National Political Problems by Ojoji(m): 11:25pm On Mar 07, 2019
I think this write up is not a means to generate unnecessary controversies but time to carry out analysis to see how we can change bad situations history has bequeathed on us. Honesty, there is no tribe or region that is not feeling the pain and for how long? Structurally, it is impossible for Nigeria to work that is a bitter truth. Which way should we go from here? This Is not the time to trade blames, pointing accused fingers, or played victim role but time to take responsibility of what that have happened and forgive ourselves especially we southerners.
Re: How Igbo Leaders Caused Nigeria's Current National Political Problems by cute9ja: 11:27pm On Mar 07, 2019
You are entitled to your opinion, and i respect it, but so i am to mine too, and you need to respect it bro

You can't shove your opinion on my face, so cut off the "spare us the pretence" quote, If you know me, you will know i'm not one who will condone presence and deceit, so please kindly cut that off!

This is a very sensitive matter, especially at this period, and i knew it will cause some tension here and there, due to the ethnic undertone, and after reading the article two times, I just felt the need to bring it here.

Even tho i was expecting biased ethno-religious comments, ethnic rivalry and bigotry because of the sensitive nature of the write-up , i also really wanted to get the opinion of others, learn more from the opinion of other people, see people debunk what the writer said with FACTS!!!

Not insults, and garage boys/girls behavior, add or subtract information to/from the article above with FACTS WITH CLEAR SOURCES

The purpose of bringing it here is not to fight and point fingers on which tribe messed Nigeria up the most, it is to understand where we are coming from without bias or ethnic sentiments, and see how we can learn from mistakes of the past and move the country forward

Xander85:

Oh please, spare us the pretence! You knew exactly what you were doing when you posted this revisionist, one-sided cra'p! Saying you didn't author the article but just innocently posted it because you're looking for a detached and dispassionate analysis of the points raised is bullshit! You expected dispassionate discourse on such a Igbo-bashing thread on nairaland!? shocked Dude, get real!

3 Likes

Re: How Igbo Leaders Caused Nigeria's Current National Political Problems by cute9ja: 11:28pm On Mar 07, 2019
Finally someone understands, thanks so much, God bless you!!!
Ojoji:
I think this write up is not a means to generate unnecessary controversies but time to carry out analysis to see how can change bad situations history has bequeathed on us. Honesty, there is no tribe or region that is not feeling the pain and for how long? Structurally, it is impossible for Nigeria to work that is a bitter truth. Which way should we go from here? This Is not the time to trade blames, pointing accused fingers, or played victim role but time to take responsibility of what have happened and forgive ourselves especially we southerners.

2 Likes

Re: How Igbo Leaders Caused Nigeria's Current National Political Problems by ipodstinks: 11:30pm On Mar 07, 2019
cute9ja:
Obviously your sense of humour is very low, but it's ok, Nigeria is hard, so i understand. grin

Everybody is entitled to their opinions, just like me, you or the writer.
Instead of ranting with obvious baseless emotional sentiments, can you pin-point the false information the writer gave out and replace it with what you think is correct? PLAIN AND SIMPLE!

If he does, make I bend.

5 Likes

Re: How Igbo Leaders Caused Nigeria's Current National Political Problems by cute9ja: 11:33pm On Mar 07, 2019
cheesy cheesy cheesy
ipodstinks:
If he does, make I bend.
Re: How Igbo Leaders Caused Nigeria's Current National Political Problems by ipodstinks: 11:40pm On Mar 07, 2019
Sirheny007:

I am trying as hard as i can to to be impartial.
But anyone blaming the Igbos for 'digging the pit' is a product of a hate system and propaganda.
True, Igbos may have gotten some things wrong in the past as history has revealed. But i still believe that they have done more for this Nation than any other tribe! They have been sidelined in the scheme of things for those 52 years, but look who's behind in overall welfare?

No matter how you look at it, Pre or post independence,
The North is,was and will always be the architect who dug that pit.
It is karma that is playing ping pong on you guys.

3 Likes

Re: How Igbo Leaders Caused Nigeria's Current National Political Problems by ipodstinks: 11:45pm On Mar 07, 2019
Xander85:

Zik was an idealist who wrongly believed 'one Nigeria' stood a chance of success! I'm cutting him some slack due of his pan-Nigerian childhood and upbringing which shaped his worldview!

Now if you're a 'one Nigeria' apostle, Zik should be your god shouldn't he? If however you're not a 'one Nigeria' apostle, yet keep quiet and allow things to continue the way they are, it stands to reason that you're either a two-face hypocrite or a coward!

I bet to disagree with you. Azikwe was against it cos his tribe was in control then. So he had the notion that it will continue.

8 Likes

Re: How Igbo Leaders Caused Nigeria's Current National Political Problems by citizenY(m): 11:59pm On Mar 07, 2019
ItsMeAboki:
God punish any Igbo man who should ever again open his mouth and insult Lord Lugard; apparently every regional leader had wanted to reverse the amalgamation or have a secession clause inserted in the constitution for any dissatisfied region to have the right to later break away and go its own way should it choose to do so - all but one leader fought against it and successfully got the backing of the British to squash it; that person was not other than Nnamdi Azikiwe.

Did you see Nwabueze hugging Atiku because of the promise on restructuring? And he was said to have penned the unification decree.He has been on all the constitution drafting panels and he never asked for it. Lugard is saying back to sender from his grave. They scuttled the arrangement that could gave kept the peace .

Remember their current narrative?... Nobody is refuting the revelation. You cannot reinvent the wheel.

7 Likes

Re: How Igbo Leaders Caused Nigeria's Current National Political Problems by citizenY(m): 12:06am On Mar 08, 2019
Xander85:

And he was quoted to have said that his people were destined to ..... read the post again. The motive was very clear. Somebody should be brave enough to refute the narrative.

5 Likes

Re: How Igbo Leaders Caused Nigeria's Current National Political Problems by citizenY(m): 12:09am On Mar 08, 2019
Xander85:

Please prove that the narrative is one sided. No bring any "high sense " here. Let us hear your side.

3 Likes

Re: How Igbo Leaders Caused Nigeria's Current National Political Problems by citizenY(m): 12:14am On Mar 08, 2019
Ojoji:
I think this write up is not a means to generate unnecessary controversies but time to carry out analysis to see how we can change bad situations history has bequeathed on us. Honesty, there is no tribe or region that is not feeling the pain and for how long? Structurally, it is impossible for Nigeria to work that is a bitter truth. Which way should we go from here? This Is not the time to trade blames, pointing accused fingers, or played victim role but time to take responsibility of what that have happened and forgive ourselves especially we southerners.

As I said somewhere, we have to know from where the rain started beating us, then we find a solution. This cannot be achieved when some people are in self denial and are bent on bringing down the roof because they have previously failed on their attempt to sodomise us with corn stalk joysticks.

3 Likes

Re: How Igbo Leaders Caused Nigeria's Current National Political Problems by ItsMeAboki(m): 12:21am On Mar 08, 2019
citizenY:

Did you see Nwabueze hugging Atiku because of the promise on restructuring? And he was said to have penned the unification decree.He has been on all the constitution drafting panels and he never asked for it. Lugard is saying back to sender from his grave. They scuttled the arrangement that could gave kept the peace .

Remember their current narrative?... Nobody is refuting the revelation. You cannot reinvent the wheel.

God will continue to punish the hypocrites.

3 Likes

Re: How Igbo Leaders Caused Nigeria's Current National Political Problems by gidgiddy: 12:35am On Mar 08, 2019
5thElement:

Nigerians eat and breathe hypocrisy. The title of this thread is How Igbo leaders caused Nigerias current national problems

They said Zik was for "one Nigeria" but the same people will ask for Kanu's head if he asks for referendum. They shout "one Nigeria" even more than Zik did

They are trying to blame Igbos for Nigerians problems but an Igbo man has not led Nigeria in 52 years. They have had power for 52 years but they still blame Igbos. They said Igbos conducted a coup but these people kept conducting one coup or the other throughout the 60's,70's, 80's and 90's. Some of their own coups were far more bloody than the one they accused Igbos of.

They said Ironsi introduced unitary rule, but these same people are the ones who took the 4 Regions Ironsi governed with and kept sub-dividing it until we ended up with 36 states, thereby making Nigeria far more unitary than Ironsi ever did. Ironsi was only in power for 6 months.

Yorubas and Northerners have ruled for majority of the last 52 years but they have done far worse than Igbos ever did, and on top of that, they keep blaming Igbos for where Nigeria is today.

People should stop this hypocrisy. People who have logs in their eye should not be calling out those with specs of wood in their own

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Igbo Leaders Caused Nigeria's Current National Political Problems by Nobody: 1:36am On Mar 08, 2019
SuperIgbo1:

You're a retardedd dumbass.

How can a topic, that says Benue state used to be part of the Eastern region have myriad facts imbeded in it?

No where in the article says benue state was part of SE. You are just a dimwit.

2 Likes

Re: How Igbo Leaders Caused Nigeria's Current National Political Problems by Nobody: 1:38am On Mar 08, 2019
gidgiddy:

How come the events of 1966 are still fresh in the minds of people but not the events of after?

The North and their Yoruba cohorts have been ruling Nigeria for much of the last 52 years and they have done far much worse than Igbos ever did. They have brought Nigeria to were itbis today. But it is the events of January 1966 that they want to remember

It could be that all the Igbo nation wants is to exit Nigeria as an independent country.

I'm the past 52 years, ibo have been VP, Senate president, an ijaw has been president. Yorubas have been in opposition for the most part of it. So stop that nonsense talk.

3 Likes

Re: How Igbo Leaders Caused Nigeria's Current National Political Problems by Nobody: 1:45am On Mar 08, 2019
McStoic:
I may not be able to say many things here, but i know that in terms of violence and killing the non indigenes in your territory, as far as Nigeria was concerned, Hausas were the first to do so in the 50s. About secession, Hausa were the first to shout 'Araba' meaning 'divide it'. Igbos were more pro Nigeria unity and had the intellectual capacity to make it work....... The coup was a product of certain corruptions in government then, but they way things played out, the story has changed.

From the post, i realized that Igbos headed many positions. And i attribute that to their being educated or having more qualified people to head those positions. And of course, those institutions thrived under them. Ahmadu Bello preferred a foreigner to head their own institutions. Not that they had qualified folks, but rather to curtail so called Igbo dominance. Yet today, Buhari is putting his people into top positions too. Not that there are no better qualified people at least from their South West counterparts. No! He is Mr Integrity who does no wrong? AT LEAST IGBOS WERE GOOD AT IT AND NIGERIA WAS BETTER, BUT HOW IS NIGERIA FARING ALL THESE YEARS WITHOUT IGBO IN GOVERNMENT?

HATE IGBO OR LIKE HER, NIGERIA CANNOT MAKE ADEQUATE PROGRESS WITHOUT INCLUDING THEM IN THE SCHEME OF THINGS. IT 'S WHAT IT IS AND NOT PRIDE.

I KNOW THE IGBO NATION ARE NOT PERFECT, BUT I KNOW A ONE SIDED NARRATIVE WHEN I SEE ONE. TIME AND SPACE FAILS ONE HERE TO COMPREHENSIVELY COUNTER THESE CLAIMS. The OP had it easier cause he was on a copy and paste spree which required less effort.

You are just too dumb for your own good. The igbos filled every position because of their tribalism. Yorubas were the most educated but zik was appointing only igbos in Yoruba universities because Yorubas were in opposition.

Igbos have always been in government while Yoruba were in opposition. An igboman was VP just nine years after the war. The CBN governor under abacha that looted billions of dollars was an igbo man. He was just in the news today. So igbos have always been in top positions in government.

5 Likes

Re: How Igbo Leaders Caused Nigeria's Current National Political Problems by Nobody: 1:47am On Mar 08, 2019
Xander85:

Then why do you blame Gowon for fighting for one Nigeria like zik?

3 Likes

Re: How Igbo Leaders Caused Nigeria's Current National Political Problems by FortuneDeGreat(m): 1:58am On Mar 08, 2019
cute9ja:
Yes, we have had bad leadership for over 50 years agreed, and all tribes have failed us to be honest
But what this writer has done is, trace the origin and genesis of this bad leadership, and we can't even deny that there are some shocking facts up there.
Now you've succeeded in digging up the ancient facts, what good has it done to your miserable life? Fact finders. For your mind smh
Re: How Igbo Leaders Caused Nigeria's Current National Political Problems by FortuneDeGreat(m): 2:02am On Mar 08, 2019
schoolboij:

You are just too dumb for your own good. The igbos filled every position because of their tribalism. Yorubas were the most educated but zik was appointing only igbos in Yoruba universities because Yorubas were in opposition.

Igbos have always been in government while Yoruba were in opposition. An igboman was VP just nine years after the war. The CBN governor under abacha that looted billions of dollars was an igbo man. He was just in the news today. So igbos have always been in top positions in government.
You mean the most educated thugs and skull miners?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

100 Most Impactful NGOs And Donor Agencies To Be Unveiled At African NGO Festiva / Ondo PDP Tackles Akeredolu For Staying In Oyo After Returning From Germany / Ifeanyi Uba Unfolds Plans For Anambra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.