Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,459 members, 7,830,282 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:09 PM

The Dove Symbol - Pure Idolatry Or True Worship? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Dove Symbol - Pure Idolatry Or True Worship? (5026 Views)

Putting God First: Modern-Day Idolatry Among Christians Today / Is Money Ritual A Myth Or True? / Roman Catholic Is Not A Church, But A Modernised Way Of Idolatry? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Dove Symbol - Pure Idolatry Or True Worship? by nuclearboy(m): 10:43pm On Sep 06, 2010
grin I wan laugh die for here.

The Bible says "the Word became flesh" but now Pastor Christ-Embassy says "human body rested upon Jesus". grin

I must get a copy of every ROR ever produced. grin grin laughter incorporated. Twill ensure I sleep laughing every night. grin grin Angels must be embarrassed in Heaven at these people
Re: The Dove Symbol - Pure Idolatry Or True Worship? by newmi(m): 12:32am On Sep 07, 2010
This is my candid view on this issue and it is based on my personal study on the subject in simple sentences. I do wish which to contess anybodies view so this is in no way intended to attack or canvas support for anyone, l repeat this is an independent view.

Luke 3:22
And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like <hosei> a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased.

Now it is interesting that the Grk. word translated "like" as used in the context is the word "hosei"
"Hosei" could be used to simply express a disposition of mannerism; phrases like
as if:--about, as (it had been, it were), like (as) expresses this disposition of mannerism.

now be that as it may, let us bring this back into the context; ", the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape "as if like a dove" or "as it had been a dove" , or "as it were a dove"

now the disposition with which the Holy Ghost came down on Jesus as a specific "private and personal" sign given to John the baptist to identifying the Jesus as the Christ was such that a dove would assume ina descent motion

John 1:30-34
This is he of whom I said, After me cometh a man which is preferred before me: for he was before me.
31 And I knew him not: but that he should be made manifest to Israel, therefore am I come baptizing with water.
32 And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him.
33 And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.
34 And I saw, and bare record that this is the Son of God.

now that was a sign for John to see and know, thus dissolving doubts about the authenticity of the eventual presence of a long awaited fulfilment of the prophesies concerning the coming messiah "King of the Jews".
It is important we understand that issues concerning the messiah was a very sensitive one considering the fact that at this time in history, the Jews were under the political jurisdiction of a foreign power thus explaining the several rebellions that took place all in an attempt to bring a "Jewish emmancipation"

Acts 5
34 Then stood there up one in the council, a Pharisee, named Gamaliel, a doctor of the law, had in reputation among all the people, and commanded to put the apostles forth a little space;
35 And said unto them, Ye men of Israel, take heed to yourselves what ye intend to do as touching these men.
36 For before these days rose up Theudas, boasting himself to be somebody; to whom a number of men, about four hundred, joined themselves: who was slain; and all, as many as obeyed him, were scattered, and brought to nought.
37 After this man rose up Judas of Galilee in the days of the taxing, and drew away much people after him: he also perished; and all, even as many as obeyed him, were dispersed.

so to a large extent, even when Jesus final came revealed with great signs and miracles most people thought him to be a political saviour and for morethan one recorded occation they sought to seize Him and forcefully make Him king but according to the accout He had to escape.

So for John the Baptist to come and proclaim Jesus as the Christ in the public he sure did require a coonvincing sign one of which God was not short of.

it wasn't like everybody saw this dramatic event, it was just a sign meant for John thus all John needed to look out for in the crowd was for the one upon whom the Spirit would descend in the manner of a dove.
Re: The Dove Symbol - Pure Idolatry Or True Worship? by aletheia(m): 2:51am On Sep 07, 2010
^^^Err. . .bodily shape.
Re: The Dove Symbol - Pure Idolatry Or True Worship? by Joagbaje(m): 8:40am On Sep 07, 2010
God warned israel about representing him with images of animal and birds. All the dealings of God with man had been in human appearances, because we are in his image. He appeared to Abraham , moses, Jacob ,Joshua. Manoah, Daniel . Etc it was the holy spirit that was the angel bringing all such manifestations. Whatever John saw has to be consistent with every other scriptural harmony. The holy spirit is a He , not an it. And God won't give his glory to animals.
Re: The Dove Symbol - Pure Idolatry Or True Worship? by Horus(m): 9:39am On Sep 07, 2010
A dove is a bird closely related to a pigeon. Doves are olive-brown with bluish gray wings. White doves are the albinos of the pigeon family and are very rare.
•“Taxonomically, pigeons and doves are the same. Both are members of the order Columbiformes, family Columbidae.
      The term dove is generally used for smaller species with pointed tails. ” Quoted from Compton's Interactive Encyclopedia.
•The word dove is of Anglo-Saxon origin.
According to Christians, white doves represent purity and innocence. When doves are put in dark places, like your pocket, they go into a comatose state until they return to some form of light. This is why magicians use doves in their magic acts. When the doves rise from a deep slumber, it is supposed to represent the so-called resurrection of Yashu'a.
Re: The Dove Symbol - Pure Idolatry Or True Worship? by Nobody: 3:36pm On Sep 07, 2010
God warned israel about representing him with images of animal and birds. All the dealings of God with man had been in human appearances, because we are in his image. He appeared to Abraham , moses, Jacob ,Joshua. Manoah, Daniel . Etc it was the holy spirit that was the angel bringing all such manifestations. Whatever John saw has to be consistent with every other scriptural harmony. The holy spirit is a He , not an it. And God won't give his glory to animals.

Was it not the same God that asked moses to make graven images of the bronze serpent and the winged creatures.God never asked us not to make images rather what he said is that we should not worship them simple.

Even your CEC have images of PaStor chris and his wife scattered over the churches billboard abi Pastor Chris is greater than the holy spirit
Re: The Dove Symbol - Pure Idolatry Or True Worship? by ogajim(m): 12:01am On Sep 09, 2010
^^^ Chukwudi44, Most of those husband and wife business centers don't represent the Pentecostal movement if you ask me neither do those ones with hidden(loaded) meaning images that we're supposed not to know about but thank God for the power of Google and the like, it doesn't take much time to research these symbols now.
Couple the image with how and where it is PLACED and you might have your answer without the need for further research. We have to be vigilant at all times because things are not the way they seem most of the times.

Shalom.

1 Like

Re: The Dove Symbol - Pure Idolatry Or True Worship? by newmi(m): 2:56pm On Sep 10, 2010
chukwudi44:

Was it not the same God that asked moses to make graven images of the bronze serpent and the winged creatures.God never asked us not to make images rather what he said is that we should not worship them simple.

Even your CEC have images of PaStor chris and his wife scattered over the churches billboard abi Pastor Chris is greater than the holy spirit

Hey don't begin to sound baseless, having the picture of pastors on their publicity instruments is a common num which is in no way particularly indicative with just CEC or Pastor Chris so young man don't blaze an alternative path of unproductive dialogue.
Make your point and leave it at that if you have any further detail make it known logically with veritable facts that have credible foundations. undecided undecided undecided
Re: The Dove Symbol - Pure Idolatry Or True Worship? by Nobody: 1:02pm On Sep 12, 2010

Hey don't begin to sound baseless, having the picture of pastors on their publicity instruments is a common num which is in no way particularly indicative with just CEC or Pastor Chris so young man don't blaze an alternative path of unproductive dialogue.
Make your point and leave it at that if you have any further detail make it known logically with veritable facts that have credible foundations.

What is the difference between having the dove image of the holy spirit on church billboard and having image of pastors and their wives on the chuch billboard,

If one is idolatary then the other should be considered idolatary as well.
Re: The Dove Symbol - Pure Idolatry Or True Worship? by Tonyet1(m): 1:35pm On Sep 14, 2010
newmi:

This is my candid view on this issue and it is based on my personal study on the subject in simple sentences. I do wish which to contess anybodies view so this is in no way intended to attack or canvas support for anyone, l repeat this is an independent view.

Luke 3:22
And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like <hosei> a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased.

Now it is interesting that the Grk. word translated "like" as used in the context is the word "hosei"
"Hosei" could be used to simply express a disposition of mannerism; phrases like
as if:--about, as (it had been, it were), like (as) expresses this disposition of mannerism.

now be that as it may, let us bring this back into the context;[size=15pt] ", the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape "as if like a dove" or "as it had been a dove" , or "as it were a dove"[/size]
now the disposition with which the Holy Ghost came down on Jesus as a specific "private and personal" sign given to John the baptist to identifying the Jesus as the Christ was such that a dove would assume ina descent motion

John 1:30-34
This is he of whom I said, After me cometh a man which is preferred before me: for he was before me.
31 And I knew him not: but that he should be made manifest to Israel, therefore am I come baptizing with water.
32 And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him.
33 And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.
34 And I saw, and bare record that this is the Son of God.

now that was a sign for John to see and know, thus dissolving doubts about the authenticity of the eventual presence of a long awaited fulfilment of the prophesies concerning the coming messiah "King of the Jews".
It is important we understand that issues concerning the messiah was a very sensitive one considering the fact that at this time in history, the Jews were under the political jurisdiction of a foreign power thus explaining the several rebellions that took place all in an attempt to bring a "Jewish emmancipation"

Acts 5
34 Then stood there up one in the council, a Pharisee, named Gamaliel, a doctor of the law, had in reputation among all the people, and commanded to put the apostles forth a little space;
35 And said unto them, Ye men of Israel, take heed to yourselves what ye intend to do as touching these men.
36 For before these days rose up Theudas, boasting himself to be somebody; to whom a number of men, about four hundred, joined themselves: who was slain; and all, as many as obeyed him, were scattered, and brought to nought.
37 After this man rose up Judas of Galilee in the days of the taxing, and drew away much people after him: he also perished; and all, even as many as obeyed him, were dispersed.

so to a large extent, even when Jesus final came revealed with great signs and miracles most people thought him to be a political saviour and for morethan one recorded occation they sought to seize Him and forcefully make Him king but according to the accout He had to escape.

So for John the Baptist to come and proclaim Jesus as the Christ in the public he sure did require a coonvincing sign one of which God was not short of.

it wasn't like everybody saw this dramatic event, it was just a sign meant for John thus all John needed to look out for in the crowd was for the one upon whom the Spirit would descend in the manner of a dove.

Thanks bro for the analogy. . .this dove symbolism for the Holy spirit is one thing i am very appalled at. . .unfortunately it seems to be widely celebrated.!
Re: The Dove Symbol - Pure Idolatry Or True Worship? by Tonyet1(m): 1:44pm On Sep 14, 2010
chukwudi44:

Chukwudi,

I think your assertion seem abit disturbing by saying God doesnt have a problem with us making idols. The question is why would someone who abhors idols not have a problem with his followers making it.?

Maybe the scriptures will answer you better:

Ex 20:4 "You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below
Re: The Dove Symbol - Pure Idolatry Or True Worship? by Nobody: 5:10pm On Sep 14, 2010
@tonye-t

we have to look at the dictionary meaning of the word idol and the context in which it was used in the bible.

Definitions of idol (n)
i·dol [ d'l ]

object of adoration: somebody or something greatly admired or loved, often to excess

object worshiped as god: something that is worshiped as a god, e.g. a statue or
carved image

forbidden object of worship: in monotheistic religions, an object of worship other than the one God

The definition obviously used in the bible is the one in red.Which means an image only becomes an idol when it is worshiped.This definition implies we have images that are not worshiped and are thus not idols.

What the bible condemns is making of idols not images since the two don't mean the same thing
Re: The Dove Symbol - Pure Idolatry Or True Worship? by Image123(m): 5:33pm On Sep 14, 2010
Tonye-t:

Thanks bro for the analogy. . .this dove symbolism for the Holy spirit is one thing i am very appalled at. . .unfortunately it seems to be widely celebrated.!
What would you say as regards fire or tongue of fire symbolism for God? All things are lawful for me but all things are not expedient. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.
Re: The Dove Symbol - Pure Idolatry Or True Worship? by Tonyet1(m): 5:38pm On Sep 14, 2010
Chukwudi,

Yes you are right, my problem is at the way christians put so much reverence on the art of the dove symbolism which is very similar to what the occults even do. We use dove to symbolise the holyspirit which is wrong whilst they have their belief deeply rooted from ancient art of the dove symbol.

I wish i had all the time.
Re: The Dove Symbol - Pure Idolatry Or True Worship? by Tonyet1(m): 5:39pm On Sep 14, 2010
Image123:

What would you say as regards fire or tongue of fire symbolism for God? All things are lawful for me but all things are not expedient. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

Bro, i cant seem to understand what point you're coming from. . .pls expantiate. cheers!
Re: The Dove Symbol - Pure Idolatry Or True Worship? by Image123(m): 10:42pm On Sep 14, 2010
Point i'm making is that God is symbolised by different things. He's symbolised by a book, a rock, by fire, water, ark etc all in scriptures. It all depends on if the individual is going to abuse the symbol.
Re: The Dove Symbol - Pure Idolatry Or True Worship? by nuclearboy(m): 11:40pm On Sep 14, 2010
^^^ 300% agreement. Abuse is the problem!

I'm liking you a bit more than I like to like people, Image! smiley
Re: The Dove Symbol - Pure Idolatry Or True Worship? by Image123(m): 12:27am On Sep 15, 2010
^what can i say? I'm pleased to hear that bro.
Re: The Dove Symbol - Pure Idolatry Or True Worship? by InesQor(m): 5:02am On Sep 15, 2010
Dang! Some submissions on this thread are. . . well, just pathetic, IMHO. I doubt I need to say more, for my views have already been represented.

*slinks away*
Re: The Dove Symbol - Pure Idolatry Or True Worship? by Nobody: 7:03pm On Jul 10, 2012
Negro_Ntns: Your query forks into two directions - (a) dove as a divine symbol, and (b) dove as an image of worship.

(a) GOD uses different objects and references to talk communicate with man. When Cain murdered Abel and didn't know what to do with the body, a bird was sent to give him reference. Cain did not start worshipping the bird after that or did he?

(b) worshipping a carved image of a bird is pure idolatry. At the beginning of His creation GOD delegated man to have dominion over all life in the animal kingdom. worshipping a dove image is a surrender of that authority conferred by GOD and is disobedience. GOD did not give dove or any animal dominion over man. . . . but as history shows, man is ever disobedient.
Making a graven image and worshipping it are different things. You can have an image of whatever u want and I don't see it as a sin. It becomes a sin when we start to bow and worshipping that image or thinking that image signifies God.
I don't know what u think about it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ash Wednesday: The Beginning Of Lent / Open Letter To Bishop David Oyedepo Claiming Canaan Land Is Demonic / Miracles And Signs At The RCCG Camp with video and pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.