Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,114 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 03:59 AM

The Dog Attendant (T. D. A) [COUNTLESS Part 2]. A story By Darousmart Emmanuel. - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Dog Attendant (T. D. A) [COUNTLESS Part 2]. A story By Darousmart Emmanuel. (241178 Views)

When Hell Overflows. Story By Ufuoma Seunnla / A Lonely Heart (A Story) / "No Pleasure For Dead Girls" A Story By Mancrimes.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (42) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Dog Attendant (T. D. A) [COUNTLESS Part 2]. A story By Darousmart Emmanuel. by TheBlessedMAN: 12:13am On Apr 15, 2019
2. THE DOG ATTENDANT. (T. D. A)

The sound of the gunshot was so vibrating to the extent that it shook the ground I was standing on. It further extended its unpleasant effect on every fiber of the frame of the door I was about to open.

The first thing that came into my mind after the sound of the gunshot was to go back to check what or where or whom the bullet had hit but I knew it will be a very stupid thing to do if I decided to check on the above three W's that I mentioned.
Hence I quickly opened the door and dashed outside into the compound.

Everything inside the compound was exactly as pre-described by the unidentified man.

During my stay inside the prison, I never set my foot on this part of the place. Even during our daily laborsome works, the warders never brought us to this place.

My eyes were very sharp to locate the big rubber tank beside the tree and I was very swift in using it as a ladder to scale the tall fence.

The moon was half full in the sky and it appeared to be doing all its possible best to gain promotion from the angels in charge of the Planetary works of Gawd seeing as it was very effective in its duty at that time of the night, and all thanks to it, I was able to land on the other side of the fence with no injury sustained.

The other side was mainly covered in thick bushes and some well arranged mahogany trees.

My new surroundings sent my mind into a confused state. I didn’t know which way to go as everywhere was covered in bushes of my height and even more.

Unfortunately, I had little time to dwell on that confused mode as I begin to scamper around for which directions to take when some angry voices from where I’d just escaped from began to fill the air.

Electoral tension filled my candidative mind as the noises begin to get nearer and louder to my position.

The fear of what would happen to me if I was caught terrified me immensely. The fear of not getting a chance at my vengeance mission terrified me to my bone marrow.

My rumpled green prison cloth was covered in sweats as the tension increased. I could even hear my own heartbeat with little or no straining of the ear.

This went on for some moments before something unexpected happened.

“It might seem crazy what I’m ‘bout to say.” The sound of that ‘HAPPY' music by Pharrell Williams suddenly blurted out of no where and it nearly sent my already apprehensive mind into a coma of tension.

“what’s that tank doing there?” That statement came from inside the compound and I realized its only a matter of seconds before they discover me in the open.

Quickly, I got over the shock and started looking for the source of the sound or I risk it attracting the attention of those that are looking for me directly to my location.

I calmed my mind and settled my eyes on the tiny spaces between the bushes.

Fortunately, I saw a blinking red light from the bushes and started heading towards it as careful and silently as I could. The music was coming from a phone speaker and it wasn’t more than five foots away.

How the phone got there remained a mystery at that moment but survival first before anything else.

The thorn stems that dominated the larger percentage of the bush made it very hard to get to where the sound was coming from but not even that can stop a determined mind that’s bent on escaping at all cost.

“Sunshine she’s here, you can take a break” The music continued.
“I’m a hot air balloon that could go to space
With the air, like I don’t care baby by the way
Huh, because I’m happy
Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof
Because I’m happy
Clap along if you feel like happiness is the truth
Because I’m happy
Clap along if you know what happiness is to you
Because I’m happy
Clap along if you feel like that’s what you……” It was my palm that covered the speaker side of the phone that ebbed the music. It was an incoming call from a hidden number and I quickly picked it in a frantic attempt to settle the curiosity my mind.

“hello?” A female voice asked from the other end of the phone.

“Hello…?” I answered quietly.

“Darous…….” The female voice came again.

“yes…. Who…” I was still saying when I began to hear multiple footsteps coming to my direction with the aid of headlights.

“Get him boys or your heads will roll…!!” A thick voice ordered and a multiple search-ative movements followed that life-threatening order.

The tension in my body gave me no warning before it escalated into a multiple folds.

I began to sweat instantly. My mouth has dried. My throat was longing for water. My brain was also longing for water to quench the burning fire of tension in it but apparently, the only extinguisher that can do those tasks lies within my legs.

“Darous…. What are you waiting for!” The female voice on the phone shouted to snap me into action.

“Sergeant Victor…. Your 9 o’clock!” A voice shouted from nearby and without hesitation, I plunged into the bush and started running as fast as I could not minding the thorns that was cutting my legs.

Gunshot sounds filled the air immediately and that further gave me the nitro boost to run more faster in no particular direction on the ill-asphalted bush.

Gradually, the space between me and the policemen began to increase as I continue to run faster and faster because of the gunshots.

I always say it, if you really want to know the fastest man alive, you don’t do it by merely arranging Olympic games.

This is how to do it. Arrange everybody on a line and place a machine gun behind us. Announce that anybody that comes last will be killed, and you will be shocked when Usain Bolt himself will be the one to receive the bullet. Na gun we dey talk na. Something wey no fear hell fire. Something wey no get friend. Something wey no get sense. Abeg, let’s continue the story jare, cos I dey vex. Usain Bolt ko, Usain nuts ni.

I ran furiously, crazily and mad-inly for survival. As I run past every available bush, I could feel and hear resonantly how the bullets were piercing the standing trees by the road side.

My mind was racing very fast with a lot of thoughts as I continued my run on the bushy walkway while the phone was still clutched in my watery hand.

“Get to the main road as fast as you can, I’ll pick you up..” My hand must have accidentally pressed the loudspeaker icon on the screen of the phone which prompted the loud instruction that just came out of the phone.

“Maneuver him!” Another command came from behind me. I stopped abruptly when I heard that as I was feeling so confused on what next to do.

I found a big tree that wasn’t too far away from where I was. I took a quick survey around to see how close my pursuers are to me.

I saw that the nearest headlight was few distance away. I calculated my chances of getting to that tree and realized that there was no way I could get there without getting caught.

I was panting heavily and gasping for breath.

“hey….” I heard that silent whisper from my rear side and was so shocked with what I was seeing.

A cladded warder in his green uniform was offering me a headlight.

“hurry up and put this on…. Take it!” He stated sharply when he noticed my reluctance. “trust me, you don’t want to get caught by those policemen.” He added quickly.

You can’t blame me though, I’ve been betrayed too much to the extent I can no longer identify genuine acts of kindness from fake ones.

“Darous… what are you waiting for? Follow him…” The voice of the lady on the phone boomed out again.

Before I knew it, the warder had grabbed my hand very fast and he was so swift and quick to strap the headlight on my head.

“follow me… your escape guarantees the safety of my job.” He said hurriedly and I was left to wonder who was pulling all these strings.

I had little time to ponder on the quadratic equations that life just dropped at the door steps of my kindergarten brain as the warder pulled me forward and started taking me into another direction.

“A car is waiting for you outside this bush…” The warder informed while we were still running in the bush.

We didn’t encounter any difficulties on the way as this warder seems to know every nook and crannies of this jungle. Even the policemen that were chasing after me has probably lost my trail seeing as the only sound being heard at that time were that of our running footsteps and heartbeat sounds.

Several minutes spent on the escape mission before we saw a very dimmed light from the narrow end of the bush.

“Thank Gawd, they are here already….” The warder announced happily and that news sent a glimpse of relief into my tired body.

“are you sure no one followed you?” The man that met us when we got to the car asked the warder that led me to the car.

“Positive sir. No one… I know every bit of this ground like my wife’s brest.” The warder said gleefully.

“okay… you can go now…” The new man said and held my hand in an attempt to push me inside the car.

“erm… erm…” The warder stuttered. The man holding me turned to face him.

“You will get your balance the same way you got the advance payment.” The man holding me said to him and a disappointed look appeared on the face of the warder.

The man pushed me inside the back seat of the car and followed suit. He signaled for the driver to start the engine.

Like a flash, I washed with alarming eyes as the man beside me pulled out a gun and fired two quick silent shots at the warder that led me to the car. The warder dropped a silent but agonizing sound before dropping to the ground.

“move!” The man beside me ordered the driver and wind up the glass.

“What’s going on?” I queried out to myself.

TBC.

19 Likes

Re: The Dog Attendant (T. D. A) [COUNTLESS Part 2]. A story By Darousmart Emmanuel. by suraaj(m): 3:14am On Apr 15, 2019
I dey gbadun this your story but is it possible to get the whole story at once? .thruly you are a wonderful writer my brother.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Dog Attendant (T. D. A) [COUNTLESS Part 2]. A story By Darousmart Emmanuel. by anneboy02(m): 3:56am On Apr 15, 2019
When the gebdu they enter body

Thumbs up

1 Like

Re: The Dog Attendant (T. D. A) [COUNTLESS Part 2]. A story By Darousmart Emmanuel. by IntellectLord(m): 4:14am On Apr 15, 2019
nice one bro,, ur story suspenses are mind blowing,, Bon travaille amigo

1 Like

Re: The Dog Attendant (T. D. A) [COUNTLESS Part 2]. A story By Darousmart Emmanuel. by Nobody: 8:26am On Apr 15, 2019
Master of Suspence!
Re: The Dog Attendant (T. D. A) [COUNTLESS Part 2]. A story By Darousmart Emmanuel. by Basseyobasiota: 9:54am On Apr 15, 2019
nice one bro...d suspense plenty o
Re: The Dog Attendant (T. D. A) [COUNTLESS Part 2]. A story By Darousmart Emmanuel. by 1sundaya: 10:10am On Apr 15, 2019
Get everything new and latest about literature @ nigerialiteraryhub.com.ng and also follow us on Twitter/Instagram @ngliteraryhub
Re: The Dog Attendant (T. D. A) [COUNTLESS Part 2]. A story By Darousmart Emmanuel. by OPC90(m): 10:17am On Apr 15, 2019
Wow... Do not trust anybody. Poor warder
Re: The Dog Attendant (T. D. A) [COUNTLESS Part 2]. A story By Darousmart Emmanuel. by kennybelle: 10:24am On Apr 15, 2019
Action and suspense-filled. This is terrific cheesy

Thanks for the update. I enjoyed every bit of it
Re: The Dog Attendant (T. D. A) [COUNTLESS Part 2]. A story By Darousmart Emmanuel. by Vulcanheph(m): 1:39pm On Apr 15, 2019
Old boy see action film.... The suspense no be here oooo
Re: The Dog Attendant (T. D. A) [COUNTLESS Part 2]. A story By Darousmart Emmanuel. by Evold: 2:59pm On Apr 15, 2019
A woman giving instructions again! Darous might be moving from the flying pan into the fire
Re: The Dog Attendant (T. D. A) [COUNTLESS Part 2]. A story By Darousmart Emmanuel. by ClassicOG: 4:15pm On Apr 15, 2019
I bet jide is behind all these.
Nice one theblessedman
Re: The Dog Attendant (T. D. A) [COUNTLESS Part 2]. A story By Darousmart Emmanuel. by Abdulreheem(m): 7:18pm On Apr 15, 2019
what a relief after a long waiting. TBM . thank's 4 updating
Re: The Dog Attendant (T. D. A) [COUNTLESS Part 2]. A story By Darousmart Emmanuel. by Palmerbarry: 8:37pm On Apr 15, 2019
Lemme park my Tesla here..

2 Likes

Re: The Dog Attendant (T. D. A) [COUNTLESS Part 2]. A story By Darousmart Emmanuel. by Kaycee9242(m): 3:58pm On Apr 16, 2019
tbm well done
Re: The Dog Attendant (T. D. A) [COUNTLESS Part 2]. A story By Darousmart Emmanuel. by Bestie93(m): 7:01pm On Apr 16, 2019
I'm really worried about Darous.... Ànyways let's continue
Re: The Dog Attendant (T. D. A) [COUNTLESS Part 2]. A story By Darousmart Emmanuel. by TemiGURL(f): 7:58am On Apr 17, 2019
Wow wow... TBM at it again.. This man is a fuckinng Genius.... Ride on dear. I love you

1 Like

Re: The Dog Attendant (T. D. A) [COUNTLESS Part 2]. A story By Darousmart Emmanuel. by Vulcanheph(m): 12:38pm On Apr 17, 2019
Good job TBM
But I can't help but feel as if you are writer who doesn't write with plans like other writers.... You just flow with the wind.

1 Like

Re: The Dog Attendant (T. D. A) [COUNTLESS Part 2]. A story By Darousmart Emmanuel. by TheBlessedMAN: 3:20pm On Apr 17, 2019
Vulcanheph:
Good job TBM
But I can't help but feel as if you are writer who doesn't write with plans like other writers.... You just flow with the wind.
I'm humbled sir ooo

1 Like

Re: The Dog Attendant (T. D. A) [COUNTLESS Part 2]. A story By Darousmart Emmanuel. by Nobody: 3:43pm On Apr 17, 2019
TheBlessedMAN:
I'm humbled sir ooo

Fvkaholic do some updates intelligent fóol. You're the best bro.
Keep it up.
Re: The Dog Attendant (T. D. A) [COUNTLESS Part 2]. A story By Darousmart Emmanuel. by TheBlessedMAN: 4:32pm On Apr 17, 2019
BETPAWA:

Fvkaholic do some updates intelligent fóol. You're the best bro.
Keep it up.
hmmmm.... Crucification before compliment.....

. I.........that.

1 Like

Re: The Dog Attendant (T. D. A) [COUNTLESS Part 2]. A story By Darousmart Emmanuel. by kennybelle: 4:55pm On Apr 17, 2019
TBM, this one you're just doing 'hide n seek' upandan, which way na. Biko comman give us updates jare and 'unfreeze' this our tension since d last update grin
Re: The Dog Attendant (T. D. A) [COUNTLESS Part 2]. A story By Darousmart Emmanuel. by TheBlessedMAN: 5:37pm On Apr 17, 2019
kennybelle:
TBM, this one you're just doing 'hide n seek' upandan, which way na. Biko comman give us updates jare and 'unfreeze' this our tension since d last update grin
working on it bro... Just a little more patience. Updates will flow in
Re: The Dog Attendant (T. D. A) [COUNTLESS Part 2]. A story By Darousmart Emmanuel. by ChizzyMaris(f): 9:12pm On Apr 17, 2019
I can only but wonder what is going on.. Ride on TheBlessedMan

1 Like

Re: The Dog Attendant (T. D. A) [COUNTLESS Part 2]. A story By Darousmart Emmanuel. by omoola1122(m): 10:48pm On Apr 17, 2019
TBM i salute u
Re: The Dog Attendant (T. D. A) [COUNTLESS Part 2]. A story By Darousmart Emmanuel. by BIGGIE121(m): 7:29am On Apr 18, 2019
Tbm good job you are an exceptional writer, pls tbm can you specify a day that opdate would drop unfailingly, i dont know if i am communicating
Re: The Dog Attendant (T. D. A) [COUNTLESS Part 2]. A story By Darousmart Emmanuel. by LawizzyAh(m): 10:12am On Apr 18, 2019
TBM We don wait sotay most of us don lean. Biko, ejor come update
Re: The Dog Attendant (T. D. A) [COUNTLESS Part 2]. A story By Darousmart Emmanuel. by TheBlessedMAN: 9:39pm On Apr 18, 2019
LawizzyAh:
TBM We don wait sotay most of us don lean. Biko, ejor come update
update go drop this night oooo.... Just needs proof reading.... B this night surely
Re: The Dog Attendant (T. D. A) [COUNTLESS Part 2]. A story By Darousmart Emmanuel. by TheBlessedMAN: 11:12pm On Apr 18, 2019
3. THE DOG ATTENDANT. [T. D. A}]

The car started moving very fast on the rough road and so was the tension in my body.

All my life, I’ve never witnessed such before. The only time I’ve seen such a graphic scene was in the movies and those were plain acting. Not something very real and glaring as what just happened few moments ago. Someone that helped me out in my escape task, that gave me a new chance for my vengeance mission, shot dead by the man sitting beside me? I feel so bad. Really bad about the whole thing. How can you just bring out a gun and kill someone in cold blood like that? These guys are wicked. In fact they are wickeder than the police I was running from and certainly much more wickedest than the devil.

‘Who are these people by the way’ I asked myself that question with a side glance at the man beside me. He was the one that shot the warder that led me to him. His face was very mean and deadly. Fair in complexion but his actions are dark and unremorseful.

I wanted to ask him some questions but the fear of getting killed made me keep my mouth shut. Without using weapon, I should be able to handle him very well with my boxing techniques but the pistol in his hand will make sure I don’t get close to him to deliver any punch.

But still there are a lot of questions that needs answers. My past experience in situations like this should be enough to teach me something. If not anything, at least to be cautious of every happenings around me.

However, these scenarios are pregnant with questions that can only be delivered by this mean looking man. But evidently as he appeared, he’s not ready to enter the delivery room.

I placed my left fingers on the terrace of my nose. Yes, I mean the space between the nose and mouth. You know it right? That place that has a gutter-like feature in the middle? Got it right? OK… let’s continue.

I placed my fingers there and while stroking the gutter-like features, I engaged my brain in deep thinking.

‘Who is the woman on the phone? Her voice doesn’t sound familiar at all. How did she know my name? How did the phone got to that bush? How did she know that I was there at that time? Or did she know that I was going to be there and had planned it before hand? If so then how did she know exactly when to call? Argh, this is really frustrating. …… ‘ I sighed high to release a frustrated breath.

I clutched my head inside my palms and rested my elbow on my raised laps to give way for easy thinking.

‘The man that broke me out from the cell, who is he? How did he know my name also? He said something that really baffles me, he said he knows me very well. He also said he has eaten with me and dined with me several times.’
He said he knows how I think…’ How can that be possible? All these thought provoking statements by him can only be uttered by a friend but judging from his height, accent and stature, I don’t think I’ve seen him before not to talk of being friends with him.

Perhaps he’d said all that to get my attention. Maybe that’s it. It has to be. I don’t know him, its as simple as that. “Hmmmmmm” I released another breath and gave the man beside me another cursory glance. He wasn’t paying me any attention as his gaze was focused intently at the side of the glass window of the car.

It’s bad that the man that broke me out from the cell is not here right now to explain by himself. He must have been shot inside that shiithole.

Ah! This is serious, two people are dead already because of me and I don’t even know their names talk less of knowing them? Ahh! Darous, your life is really programmed to be mired in trouble all the time. Not even prison can stop troubles from paying you its homage. Na wa for you o.’ I communed to myself and a sorry grin took over the surface of my face.

The journey continued for some minutes and the silence lingered on for like thirty minutes before my mind suddenly snapped when my mind could no longer bear the nagging curiosity that has been disturbing it.

‘Wait, I don’t think this guy can hurt me if I ask him what’s bothering me. No way he would hurt me after going through all the impossibilities of breaking me out. Its illogical for him to hurt or kill me. Na question I wan ask no be fight. Patapata, he go say he no fit answer me. Person no dey die twice jare. I be son of thunder for a reason.

‘Courage mode activated' I told myself and did the sign of cross three times to further bolster my gradually increasing courage.

“Erm… Who are you people?” I asked in a very low tone that seemed as if the words were struggling to escape from my lips.

The guy beside me did not quite turn all the way to me but looked askance at me with his dark and fiery eyes.

‘Maybe he didn’t hear me’ I told myself after he had returned his attention towards the window.

I released another breath and got myself ready to ask again.

“I said who are you people?”

“You’ll know soon.” He replied very sharply without casting me another look.

“Huh-huh….” I stammered.

“What else?” He asked sharply with fury in his eyes.

“Erm, why did you kill that man?” I managed to pour that out.

“Because he has completed his task..” He answered again with lesser enthusiasm.

“What? That’s absurd… When did death became the reward for a job done?” I blurted out with a confused tone.

“Hey! That’s enough…. You can’t understand.” He stated firmly with what I perceived to be a stern voice but I wasn’t ready to bow out just yet.

“Hey, whether you like it or not, I’m already involved in this, and I demand to know everything because its…… “

“Silence!” He declared angrily. I could feel his hot breath on my left hand that was closer to him. Evidently, he was very angry.

“Where do you think you are? Who do you think you are talking to? Thank your stars that my client doesn’t permit me to rough handle you, you would have been sorry we….” The ringing of a phone interrupted his vexative mood. “Is that your phone? Cosmos?” He was directing his question to the driver who was all the while silent on what was going on in the car.

“Yes… My boss is calling me… Let me park and pick it.” The driver said and he swerved the car to the parking side of the dusty road.

“Hello sir” The driver spoke to the phone and was silent for some minutes before speaking again. “I’m erm..at home sir………………….” He was silent again. “Whaaaaaaat!... How did that happen” Silence again. “geeeeeeeze….” Silence again. “ok................ Ok sir….. I will be there shortly sir……. Ok sir…… Right away…… I will inform other stations to be on alert sir……… Ok sir.” Call ends.

“What did he say?” The man beside me queried curiously.

The driver placed the phone on the dashboard of the car and turned his neck backwards to face us before speaking. “My boss says I should come to the office right now. He was telling me what happened at the prison we just broke this guy out from.”

“Are you sure he’s unaware of your involvement in this?” The man beside me asked with a skeptical tone.

“No..no..no” The driver nodded his head negatively. “He will not be telling me to handle the investigation myself if he knew…. I know my boss.” He squeezed his lips together before returning his attention to the steering wheel.

“They are still trying to find out who the prisoner is and that’s a big plus for us… They will do a head count tomorrow for sure…. But what are we going to do now? I need to get to my boss immediately before he starts getting suspicious.” The driver stated without turning his head to us.

I was silently attentive to the whole thing happening right inside the car. But I was surprised to find out that the driver was a police officer. A high ranking one for that matter. But what got me very confused was how the people behind my escape managed to pull all this stunts together.

What exactly do they want from me? Nooo… To hell with that my vengeance talk. This is far more than that. Who could be behind all these? To the extent that a senior police officer and a commanding warder was involved in this?’

“Time for plan B” The voice of the man beside me cut into my thoughtful mind. “Drop us at the second base and you can take the other car to the office. I will take this guy to my clients myself.” He concluded and rested his back on the backrest of the car. The driver obliged instantly and returned the car to the road.

Moments of silence followed until the car came to a halt in front of a small bungalow after spending more than fifteen minutes on the road.

A blue Chevrolet was parked at the rear side of the house. The driver quickly got out of the car and the man beside me joined him at the other end. The doors were locked immediately both men stepped out of it.

They both engaged in some silent discussions for a few minutes before the man beside me returned to the car, except this time, he didn’t return to my side, he got into the driver’s seat and settled down into it. He locked all the doors before giving me a white celestial garment.

“What for?” I queried with a narrowed gaze at his dark eyes.

“Quickly put it on. We need to hide your identity, this your prison cloth will attract people to us.” He stated quickly and waved at the other man that just drove out in the blue Chevrolet.

I starred at the garment for a brief while before deciding to put it on.

The man displayed a satisfactory grin after I’d finished wearing the oversized white garment.

“Listen to me very carefully Darous, its only a matter of time before we get to the meeting point. If you really want to stay alive you need to be at full cooperation with me.” He uttered in a tone that depicts more warning than advise.

“But how do you expect me to cooperate with you when I really don’t know what’s going on. Who are you people? And who is the client you are talking about? Why all these risks just to get me out of prison? And please cut that crap about my vengeance mission and all sorts. I need explanation… A detailed one for that matter.” I ended in an evidently frustrated tone before scratching my beards-covered neck.

“I understand you perfectly. I will also feel the same way if I were in your…..” He was still saying when the vibration of his phone interrupted him. He picked the call and spoke with the caller for a few minutes before returning the phone to his brest pocket.

“Where we are going is just twenty minutes away. That’s where all your questions will be answered. I’m not entitled to answer any question from you. Are we clear?” He asked with a stressed tone.

I wanted to probe further but I just decided to play it cool. At least, its only a matter of minutes.

All these are just complicated pointers to the mystery of the situation which is waiting to be solve within the hour. Patience is a great virtue.

The atmosphere was very windy and gloomingly gloomy. Every actions of the weather signals the herald of what appears to be a teary night.

The cold temperature emanating from the river below further sends a torrent of tension to my already nervous body.

The bridge was dark and silent. The long bridge was totally devoid of human activities. Evidently, it was the darkest hour of the night.

The moon that was shinning earlier has now allowed itself to be covered by the cloudy blanket. Maybe it was also scared of what’s to come and it has decided to seek shelter behind the cloud.

There I was, sitting nervously at the back of a strange car with a stranger, in a strange hour of the night and about to meet someone I believed to be a stranger.

This time last night, I was already snoring my life away on top the cold floor of the Oba prison. A place I’ve already come to terms with to start calling my new home. I was still awaiting trial, and my next court sitting was only months away but apparently, in a matter of hours, I will be declared a wanted man.

Death, taxes and Darous getting into trouble even when he never expects it are three surest things of life.
Life holds very few certainties for any of us, but seeing the son of thunder taking a starring role in dangerous situations like this is about as close to a given as it gets.

Gradually, the speed of the car starts to reduce on the long and silent bridge.

After covering some kilometers on the bridge, the man driving the car stopped it when it got to the extreme end of the bridge where the railings end. He pulled out of the car and opened the backside where I was sitting nervously.

He pointed his gun to my face and fear instantly struck my heart after seeing the deadly look on his face.

I started panicking and shaking vigorously. I was scared he’s going to kill me and dump my body into the river. Someone must have paid him to do so. Someone that thinks my existence still poses a threat to him. Someone that’s interested in having what I left behind. Someone that loves what I love. Someone that is a genius at planning things like this. Someone that has the financial capacity to pull all these strings just to end my life to get what he wants. Maybe someone that wants Adejoke, my ex-wife.
Maybe someone in the name of Lewis.

Jide had told me last week when he came to see me inside the prison that Lewis and Adejoke are now very close. He said hardly will a day go by without Lewis going to Joke's house. I’d ward off the information because I believe Adejoke can never stoop so low to the extent of having an affair with a fool like Lewis.

Maybe I was wrong. Maybe Lewis isn’t a fool after all. Maybe I was the real fool for thinking such things can never happen. Maybe I’m about to pay for that with my life.

“Get out!” The man shouted with a very mean tone. I was startled and scared to the bone.

“pl… please….. Pleas…. Don’t… don’t….. Don’t….kill me…. I beg you in the name of your mother…. Pleaaaaaaseeeeeee…..” I pleaded with trembling voice. The fear of dying without setting my eyes on my child again sent my knees to the floor in that awkward instance.

“Quiet!” He roared at me and dragged me up with the garment I was putting on. He used the heel of his left boot to close the car door and positioned himself at my back while I face the north of the bridge.

My whole body was tensively covered in cold sweats. I surrendered my hands in the air and before I could even think of kneeling down, the man behind me pushed me forward.

“move slowly and gently… if you try to run, I will shoot you down.” He warned declaratively.

I started moving gently and every step I took portrayed the level of apprehension in me.

He guided me to one dark corner of the bridge where a concrete step was situated. A step that leads to the underground.

The man behind me used the mouth of his gun to push me forward from the back as a sign that he wants me to follow the step.

I shook my head pitifully and closed my eyes when the awful reality of what’s about to happen dawned on my apprehensive mind.

“This is where it all ends… at least, death will bring me the peace I never had in life….” I muttered to myself in total feeling of despair.

I made a quick silent wish. A wish that I never come to this world again.

I finished the step and so was my unfriendly escort.
We rounded another dark corner where a wooden hut was situated. The door was slightly opened and the man behind me told me to stop. He got to my side while his gun was still pointed at my fear-stricken face and checked his phone. Then he suddenly pushed me ferociously against the wooden door making my head to bang against it in the process. The door opened with a loud squeak after the pressure that was applied on it. I staggered inside and fell face flat on the muddy floor.

I quickly got myself up as my eyes were trying to adjust to the darkness in the room.

Suddenly, a light from a lamp illuminated the room and my eyes were once again very fast to settle on the UNEXPECTED.

T. B. C.

Twitter@darous_Emmanuel.

Instagram@darousmart.

WhatsApp +2348162128141.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dog Attendant (T. D. A) [COUNTLESS Part 2]. A story By Darousmart Emmanuel. by Ak86(m): 11:31pm On Apr 18, 2019
Baba ur name should be called (Suspense) becos d unexpected is wat we are expecting thanks for d way u delivered dis wonderful pregnancy.

2 Likes

Re: The Dog Attendant (T. D. A) [COUNTLESS Part 2]. A story By Darousmart Emmanuel. by dawno2008(m): 1:39am On Apr 19, 2019
GBOOOOOSA !!!!!!!!! for the man wey sabi shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Abeg baba TBM you toooo much

So interesting,yet full of suspense,I bet many of the readers can't fathom who is behind his escape

Baba TBM, I take gawd of sango beg you,nor let am cold before you drop another tantalizing update,the thing be like air, you must just need it to stay alive

God bless you abundantly,may your vision never go blur,more fluid to that brain of yours

5 Likes

Re: The Dog Attendant (T. D. A) [COUNTLESS Part 2]. A story By Darousmart Emmanuel. by Haryorholuwar(m): 9:06am On Apr 19, 2019
I think Beatrice is behind this.... Nice write up bro

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (42) (Reply)

How A Girl"s Visit to My Room Changed my Life ( Short Story) / Iyawo Nylon Bag / HERO (A Violence, Mind Control And Sex Story) a story by Queenliz

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.