Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,229 members, 7,822,188 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:05 AM

***Hair For African Women*** - Fashion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / ***Hair For African Women*** (29765 Views)

15 Most Stylish Ghana Braids Ideas For African Women / African Women No Longer "Believe Black Is Beautiful" -by Sede Alonge / African Women And Wigs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 5:19pm On Nov 24, 2010
Ejadamen:

I loosened my braids today and was amazed when I saw my hair shocked It has grown so much in 3 weeks. It made me seriously consider re-braiding but it needs to rest for now and given TLC. A lot of women kept asking when I would use relaxer on my hair and I said no. They were shocked and couldn't understand why I said what I did. I didn't bother to explain. I can't wait to show them how beautiful natural hair can be when taken care of properly.

Omggggg, its funny that you mention that because I was reading a blog about the Nigerian perception of natural hair and is so sad how we've conditioned ourselves to believe that our hair is inferior >>> http://blackgirllonghair..com/2009/04/sunday-retrospectives-natural-not-hot.html . There's no much deep rooted disdain towards hair of people of color. Smmfh, it baffles me. No one seems to know how to care for natural hair anymore, we've truly lost ourselves cry. I used to look forward to getting my hair braided when I go home but with the horror stories I've heard other natural Nigerian women, its making me think twice about braiding my hair. I've heard of hair braiders purposely being rough with customers hairs because the customer refused to get a relaxer. If I ever do get my hair braided in Nigeria and receive that sort of treatment, I'll give the braider the tongue lashing of their life. For my sake, I hope my cousin will be in Naija the same time as me so I can avoid all of that nonsense.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by Ejadamen(f): 5:52pm On Nov 24, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

Omggggg, its funny that you mention that because I was reading a blog about the Nigerian perception of natural hair and is so sad how we've conditioned ourselves to believe that our hair is inferior >>> http://blackgirllonghair..com/2009/04/sunday-retrospectives-natural-not-hot.html . There's no much deep rooted disdain towards hair of people of color. Smmfh, it baffles. No one seems to know how to care for natural hair anymore, we've truly lost ourselves cry. I used to look forward to getting my hair braided when I go home but with the horror stories I've heard other natural Nigerian women, its making me think twice about braiding my hair. I've heard of hair braiders purposely being rough with customers hairs because the customer refused to get a relaxer. If I ever do get my hair braided in Nigeria and receive that sort of treatment, I'll give the braider the tongue lashing of their life. For my sake, I hope my cousin will be in Naija the same time as me so II can avoid all of that nonsense.

I have heard of that too but not experienced it yet. I just get weird looks for now. I think the braiders feel they are being given more work to do with the natural hair. I won't stand for that nonsense when I am the one paying angry I was talking to a lady yesterday who just BC'ed. I think she did it for the look because the hair was relaxed and gelled down undecided It looked nice but she kept asking when I would put relaxer on my hair and I said never again. She asked why but didn't even try to understand. She just looked at me like I was crazy and kept saying natural hair cannot be managed or taken care of or styled properly. I stopped wasting my breath. A lot of women do not believe that natural hair can grow or that it looks nice. Only the very spiritual like deeper life etc still carry natural hair. I cannot blame the women though,I was once that way. I'm determined to keep my hair natural.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 9:13pm On Nov 24, 2010
Ejadamen:

I have heard of that too but not experienced it yet. I just get weird looks for now. I think the braiders feel they are being given more work to do with the natural hair. I won't stand for that nonsense when I am the one paying angry I was talking to a lady yesterday who just BC'ed. I think she did it for the look because the hair was relaxed and gelled down undecided It looked nice but she kept asking when I would put relaxer on my hair and I said never again. She asked why but didn't even try to understand. She just looked at me like I was crazy and kept saying natural hair cannot be managed or taken care of or styled properly. I stopped wasting my breath. A lot of women do not believe that natural hair can grow or that it looks nice. Only the very spiritual like deeper life etc still carry natural hair. I cannot blame the women though,I was once that way. I'm determined to keep my hair natural.

It's sad, especially when you try to educate the person on ways to care for their hair and they're still not willing to learn. In fact, there are still some women who are natural but still possess the belief that natural hair is inferior. For example, my aunts and cousins. I swear, they are the epitome of western brain washing [when it comes to hair]. My mom for example, isn't a big fan of my natural hair even though she's natural as well. As a matter of fact, she tried REALLY hard to discourage me from doing the BC and even my father, although I love him, he is still very ignorant when it comes to things like hair. For example, Monday night he indirectly tried to imply that he thinks I might be a lesbian because I cut my hair really short [just goes to show you how deep rooted our beliefs are]. The only person in my family who seems to be very pro natural hair [besides me] is my sister. The funny thing about her is she has relaxed hair grin. Another thing that annoys me is when you show those sort of people examples of people with long healthy natural hair they tell you either the person put something in their hair, their "mixed", or that the hair isn't really isn't their own. I've been natural for years and I have no intention on going back to relaxers. I'd glad I wasn't one of those people that relaxed their hair consistently. At the most, I've relaxed my hair maybe 5- 6 times in my entire life. I was never able to get the hang of caring for relaxed hair grin. Ejadamen, if i may ask, why did you decide to go natural?
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by Ejadamen(f): 9:47pm On Nov 24, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

Ejadamen, if i may ask, why did you decide to go natural?

You may cheesy, I decided to go natural because I was tired of my hair and tired of relaxers. I noticed that I hated my hair when I relaxed it and loved it when it was "due". But I didn't know how to care for natural hair. Also my relaxed hair was so light and thin and generally not nice. One day on NL I stumbled on a thread Black hair does grow and read till my eyes popped out. I discovered hairlista.com through that thread and received education on natural hair. Also I saw pictures of women who are not mixed with long hair both natural and relaxed. I saw the hair journey of a lady on Youtube, longhairdontcare2011(i think) and was just amazed. So I chopped off my hair and it's been 5 months. I haven't gotten much talk from my family because they haven't seen me but I am getting strange looks from Enugu ladies grin grin I am loving my hair and waiting for when i can really style it.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 12:39am On Nov 25, 2010
Ejadamen:

You may cheesy, I decided to go natural because I was tired of my hair and tired of relaxers. I noticed that I hated my hair when I relaxed it and loved it when it was "due". But I didn't know how to care for natural hair. Also my relaxed hair was so light and thin and generally not nice. One day on NL I stumbled on a thread Black hair does grow and read till my eyes popped out. I discovered hairlista.com through that thread and received education on natural hair. Also I saw pictures of women who are not mixed with long hair both natural and relaxed. I saw the hair journey of a lady on Youtube, longhairdontcare2011(i think) and was just amazed. So I chopped off my hair and it's been 5 months. I haven't gotten much talk from my family because they haven't seen me but I am getting strange looks from Enugu ladies grin grin I am loving my hair and waiting for when i can really style it.

Eh ya, I support you 110% grin. I bet you've got tons of growth. I'm actually lovin' my air so much I'm even thinkin' about not lettin' it stay short for a while. Hehehe, my best friend still hasn't seen me with my short air. I can't wait to show it to him. If you EVER feel like going back to the creamy crack aka relaxers, let us natural ladies know, we'll always be here to back you up wink. I know how hard it can be to when there's eternal factors pressuring you to go against what you know is right.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by Ejadamen(f): 11:48am On Nov 25, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

Eh ya, I support you 110% grin. I bet you've got tons of growth.

If you EVER feel like going back to the creamy crack aka relaxers, let us natural ladies know, we'll always be here to back you up wink. I know how hard it can be to when there's eternal factors pressuring you to go against what you know is right.

Lol, I haven't measured the hair yet but with shrinkage as a factor it's kind of hard to. I've got a good afro going on. Right now, managing the hair is becoming an issue because the afro isn't o big yet but I'm content to just wash and go and ignore the stares grin I cannot wait for my family to see my hair. ROFL.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 7:08pm On Nov 25, 2010
Ejadamen:

Lol, I haven't measured the hair yet but with shrinkage as a factor it's kind of hard to. I've got a good afro going on. Right now, managing the hair is becoming an issue because the afro isn't o big yet but I'm content to just wash and go and ignore the stares grin I cannot wait for my family to see my hair. ROFL.

If your having trouble finding products, there a woman in Nigerian who is natural and she provided info and introduce products for natural hair women. She does natural hair workshops in Nigeria where she shows people how to care an maintain their hair. Here blog is called The Kinky Apothecary, here's the link to it >>> http://thekinkyapothecary..com/ and here's a link to the Facebook page >>> http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kinky-Apothecary/120837131266405 and here's a link. Hehehe, I don't usually check out her page but every once in a while I take a look at it to see hoe the natural hair scene is in Naija.

How do you think your family will react when they see your natural hair?
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by Ejadamen(f): 9:53pm On Nov 25, 2010
Thanks for the links. I'll check them out tomorrow. A bit sleepy right now. My family? Hmm my dad will say nothing as usual. My mum will freak out,she's a fashonista so i shall prepare to receive many lectures sad. My sister will just keep shaking her head and blinking to check if she's seeing well grin
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 6:38pm On Nov 26, 2010
Ejadamen:

Thanks for the links. I'll check them out tomorrow. A bit sleepy right now. My family? Hmm my dad will say nothing as usual. My mum will freak out,she's a fashonista so i shall prepare to receive many lectures sad. My sister will just keep shaking her head and blinking to check if she's seeing well grin

Lmao, let 'em stare and shake their heads grin
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 10:58am On Dec 06, 2010
Hey ladies,

I have officially upgraded to a big comb, *afro comb*, we are getting somewhere! cheesy cheesy cheesy still a while before I can start plaiting though but I have learnt to be patient. . . . . .
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by Ejadamen(f): 1:29pm On Dec 06, 2010
SA Goddess:

Hey ladies,

I have officially upgraded to a big comb, *afro comb*, we are getting somewhere! cheesy cheesy cheesy still a while before I can start plaiting though but I have learnt to be patient. . . . . .
Good for you!

My hair is now looking bushy. Soon I'll be able to rock headbands on it. Lately I am drawn to hairstyles like cornrows and thread cheesy
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 1:49pm On Dec 06, 2010
Ejadamen:

Good for you!

My hair is now looking bushy. Soon I'll be able to rock headbands on it. Lately I am drawn to hairstyles like cornrows and thread cheesy

It is the cornrows I most look forward to rocking, can't wait.

Let me know when you start with cornrows cool cool
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by Ejadamen(f): 2:03pm On Dec 06, 2010
@ SA with or without extensions? I am looking forward to being able to do cornrows without extensions but for now I'll have to put in extensions.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 2:14pm On Dec 06, 2010
It will be with extentions at first Ejada until my hair is long enough. . . . . .how long did you say you have had your hair natural? I am on my 3rd month smiley
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by Ejadamen(f): 2:18pm On Dec 06, 2010
I am in my 6th month.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 2:25pm On Dec 06, 2010
I am just three months behind you cheesy when do you start with the plaits then?
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by Ejadamen(f): 3:21pm On Dec 06, 2010
Plaits I braided my hair at 5 months and I can do cornrows now with extensions but I think I want to do a style with wool. Braids done with wool.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 1:59pm On Dec 10, 2010
I am rocking the cutest FRO at the moment, love it!
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by Ejadamen(f): 9:29pm On Dec 10, 2010
Good for you. I was able to wear a headband today. But took it off after 10mins. I want a bigger afro to rock cheesy
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 12:48am On Dec 11, 2010
Arrrggh, I'm still in my twa stage undecided. Glad to see you guys are doing well.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by Ejadamen(f): 6:51am On Dec 11, 2010
@Inked,lol. Even though I'm happy with the hair growth,it's becoming more unmanageable. Sometimes I look at it and I'm like what do I do now. And now there's serious harmattan. I need to do a protective style soon.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by Timi1990(m): 10:52am On Dec 11, 2010
Pls where can i get this soap in lagos.
Chandrika Ayurvedic soap.

Pls anyone with info ?
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 5:32pm On Dec 11, 2010
Timi1990:

Pls where can i get this soap in lagos.
Chandrika Ayurvedic soap.

Pls anyone with info ?

If you you know of Indian merchants in Lagos, perhaps you could try asking them if they sell Chandrika Ayurvedic soap and Medimix Ayurvedic soap. I suggested that if you know of a place that sell Indian goods or products you could buy it from there. If you know someone who is Indian or travels to India frequently perhaps you could ask them to buy either or both of the soaps for you. If you do find someone who sells it, do no let them con you into trying to pay a lot of money for it because the soap is relatively cheap. Both soaps work very well, but Medimix seems to work the best.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by Nubialady(f): 5:45pm On Dec 13, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_EaMZtg1n0

A little inspiration for you folks that cant believe natural hair cannot grow long , its patience and a strict hair care regime
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by Nobody: 8:28pm On Dec 13, 2010
Guys, I need a little advice.

My natural hair is sometimes dry, after 5-6 days of conditioning.

I was thinking of mixing water and coconut oil in a spray bottle, for daily use to spray my hair. Is that healthy? undecided
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 9:19pm On Dec 13, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Guys, I need a little advice.

My natural hair is sometimes dry, after 5-6 days of conditioning.

I was thinking of mixing water and coconut oil in a spray bottle, for daily use to spray my hair. Is that healthy? undecided

Yes, that is a healthy option. You can also try making a hair spritz.

Here's an idea:

Here are some other uses for glycerin. Create your own mixture or recipe and spread the word if it works! Apply liquid glycerin to a cotton ball and use it to remove eye makeup quickly and effortlessly. Create a simple moisturizer by mixing equal parts of liquid glycerin and rosewater in a clean bottle. Cap the bottle and shake it well to mix the ingredients before each application. Mix one part glycerin with two parts water in a plastic spray bottle. Spritz this mixture onto hair to smooth it into place and control flyaways or frizz.

Rosemary Spritz:
6-10 drops of Rosemary essential oil
Aloe vera gel (about 1 tbsp)
Jojoba oil (2 tbsp)
Glycerin (1 tsp)
Pure water (about 4-5oz)
Suave conditioner (as needed)
Few drops of honey
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by Nobody: 9:46pm On Dec 13, 2010
Inked nerd, I know you posted, but I cant see your reply.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by SAGoddess: 7:00am On Dec 14, 2010
I also want a big FRO Ejada   cheesy  you will have one soon enough, I am still a long way off.  I have learnt to appreciate all the stages along the way so I find this little fro cute. . . . .   smiley

Ileke, Nerd should be able to answer your question about conditioning your hair, I am clueless about products!
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 7:42am On Dec 14, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Inked nerd, I know you posted, but I cant see your reply.

For some reason, I was temporarily banned when I posted the recipe. I'll re-post it in another thread. Hopefully, you'll be able to see it this time.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by Nobody: 8:08am On Dec 14, 2010
^^ okay thanks.

sorry for the ban.
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by InkedNerd(f): 9:09am On Dec 14, 2010
Its ok, its not your fault. I posted the recipes in this thread >>> https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-551500.64.html . Hope you like 'em wink. Oh and by the way, using coconut oil and water is ok for your hair
Re: ***Hair For African Women*** by Nobody: 9:18am On Dec 14, 2010
^^^ thanks! seen it, replied.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Photos From MBGN 2014 / Ladies, What Is Your Ideal Heel Height? / Funke Akindele (Jenifa) Makes A Colorful Fashion Statement [PHOTOS]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.