Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,002 members, 7,821,513 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:09 PM

My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC (27310 Views)

The 331 MPH Car Speed Record Controversy / It's Medically Wrong To Use The AC Just Immediately You Enter Your Hot Car / My Toyota Corolla Over Heats Only When The AC Is On! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by Jamersirwin1971: 8:40pm On Apr 02, 2019
lwise:
I always have this unpleasant experience anytime I switch on my AC (Hyundai Accent 2008).At times in traffic the car stops completely,I have to switch OFF the car then ON it back.

Can anyone help with the possible solution.

Thanks

It happened to a friend of mine also. His has a Honda EOD. Let them service the Fuel Nozzles , and also the injector . If that doesn’t work maybe the ringing that was done can’t pick up the engine
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by Nobody: 8:50pm On Apr 02, 2019
ignis:

You obviously have limited knowledge of car functionality
He could be right, Tires could be the culprit sometimes. Sort of a drag when accelerating.
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by Bjornson01(m): 8:50pm On Apr 02, 2019
erico2k2:

whoever posted that crap on quora needs their head examined or better still it was done in a different context, Power and speed are two different entity. A tractor has more power than a racing car but which is faster angry angry
I hope you know the difference between TORQUE and HORSEPOWER in relation to compression engines and Ignition engines respectively?
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by erico2k2(m): 8:51pm On Apr 02, 2019
Nairaland Engineers will not kill person

1 Like

Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by kaeycea(m): 8:51pm On Apr 02, 2019
ocean77:

Bros Iwise, in this your situation, the only suspect is IDLE AIR CONTROL VALVE. The valve is weak and can't supply enough air into the engine when your car is idling thats why your car shut of in traffic with AC on. except if it shut down on motion too, that is the first thing i recommend you check first. ADVISE IS TO REPLACE.
Or even IACV could be clogged. A simple use of carbon cleaner on throttle body assembly might be of help too

1 Like

Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by emani03(m): 8:52pm On Apr 02, 2019
lwise:
I always have this unpleasant experience anytime I switch on my AC (Hyundai Accent 2008).At times in traffic the car stops completely,I have to switch OFF the car then ON it back.

Thanks
It’s not your battery that is bad.its your otternator Is doing half charging thereby bring low current to your battery....for sure,the process hv spoilt your battery already..all you will do now is buy a new otternator and thank me later����
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by erico2k2(m): 8:53pm On Apr 02, 2019
Bjornson01:
I hope you know the difference between TORQUE and HORSEPOWER in relation to compression engines and Ignition engines respectively?
U are bringing in entities not mentioned by the OP, he says the loss of speed, let us stick to that
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by SarkinYarki: 8:56pm On Apr 02, 2019
aaronson:
Are you trying to say his engine block is worn or his piston rings are lol

yes, I am just tired of Nigerians wanting a 10 year old car to behave like a brand new one , most engine have a life span of 150 thousand kilometres and anything agreed that is a gift
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by BabbanBura(m): 8:56pm On Apr 02, 2019
okosodo:
It's is normal for speed to reduce when ac is turned on. Try warming your engine before moving

It is not normal, the engine is doing extra work but shouldn't reduce the car speed, something is wrong
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by Bjornson01(m): 8:57pm On Apr 02, 2019
erico2k2:

U are bringing in entities not mentioned by the OP, he says the loss of speed, let us stick to that
but then again you talk about tractors being more powerful than race cars, who digresses? grin
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by picaso313(m): 8:58pm On Apr 02, 2019
lwise:

The engine was ringed recently.I always have issue with the car jacking and vibrating as if the plugs are bad.I recently changed the plugs,service the engine but the situation remains the same . For the 1st 7 minutes of driving,hardly experience any issue.After sometime the car starts misbehaving and get worst if the AC is on.

I'm just tired cry cry
ur engine is week... i have had such experience... since d engine has just been rinsed it has not build up carbons on d pistons n all... jst give it sum tym it will stop... thou use ac jst ones in awhile.. nt as regular as u use too
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by Nobody: 8:59pm On Apr 02, 2019
Yakeeboy:

Thanks I always have this unpleasant experience anytime I switch on my AC (Hyundai Accent 2008).At times in traffic the car stops completely,I have to switch OFF the car then ON it back.

Thanks bro go and buy Benz! All these Japanese cars will always give you headache. Since I have been using my Benz I have not visited the mechanic for once despite traveling with the car every time. Since I have dropped all these Japanese cars I have said no to mechanics.

Better visit the mechanic at least once every few months for a bit of servicing unless you want d engine to nock unannounced, though Mercedes engines are cheap sha
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by mayor999: 9:00pm On Apr 02, 2019
change or service ur fuel filter
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by alezzy13: 9:02pm On Apr 02, 2019
1forall:

Engine overhauling (ringing) is a delicate job which most times doesn't gives perfect results. An experienced auto mechanic (a banker and engineer with a decent auto workshop business) once told me that auto engineers abroad do not 'ring' engines because the variables to control for perfection are too many, and the slightest error can result in a poor job. Talking about things as minor as ambient temperature, dust, technique, quality of parts etc.

Think of that in the context of our 'professional' Nigerian auto mechanics!

Your car engine has inevitably lost some compression (power/pressure) due to the work done, thus the engine is not producing as much torque (rotational force) as it was originally designed to. Therefore when you switch on your AC - which is basically adding the AC compressor load to the engine - the engine struggles. It may not be such a problem if you're on the highway but will be more noticeable in traffic with AC on.

In summary, your car engine will last longer if you don't use the AC on it anymore, but even at that I think you should prepare your mind for engine or car replacement in the near future.

Interesting. When you talk of ringing, that is changing the Piston rings, right? I never knew it was such a big deal
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by alezzy13: 9:04pm On Apr 02, 2019
SarkinYarki:

yes, I am just tired of Nigerians wanting a 10 year old car to behave like a brand new one , most engine have a life span of 150 thousand kilometres and anything agreed that is a gift

It depends on usage and maintenance. Mine is just above 300,000km, and still going strong.
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by wizod(m): 9:05pm On Apr 02, 2019
Denikayan:
Change your tires
mad man sighted
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by erico2k2(m): 9:05pm On Apr 02, 2019
SarkinYarki:

That is not true, where did you get this from? 150 is average.

1 Like

Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by roladex(f): 9:05pm On Apr 02, 2019
And later on this car wil be put on sale and one innocent soul wil go n buy it.chai i say no niaja second hand o

2 Likes

Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by erico2k2(m): 9:07pm On Apr 02, 2019
Bjornson01:
but then again you talk about tractors being more powerful than race cars, who digresses? grin
I was directly talking about that quoran cut and paste as it was talking about the loss of power.
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by saintsylve(m): 9:09pm On Apr 02, 2019
Please who can get me Toyota corolla Belgium engine at a lesser price..190k is too much as of now for me ooo

Previous engine got nocked and reworked by a mechanic, worst mistake as it keeps having one issue or the other.. Please anyone on how I can get with a cheaper rate or if you can assist me to complete it....

Thanks.
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by nemadfsyahooc: 9:09pm On Apr 02, 2019
stanjohn57:
Please I have a somewhat similar issue. My 2009 Nissan Rogue has a peculiar issue. If am traveling, after about an hour on the highway, the car will experience difficulty accelerating, especially uphill as I noticed. It can't even do 40km/hr sometimes.
But if I stop and turn off ignition, the car will drive normal if I restart it after about five minutes.
I have gotten different diagnosis but same thing continues afterwards.
Change the fuel pump.
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by alezzy13: 9:10pm On Apr 02, 2019
Greystone:

Changed rings?
You need a new engine

Na wa. Just learning this today. So this 'ringing' is really bad news? Yet the way it's promoted by automechs
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by SarkinYarki: 9:16pm On Apr 02, 2019
erico2k2:

That is not true, where did you get this from? 150 is average.

Oga your engine warranty ends at 100 thousand and your engine is measured completely depreciated at 150 thousand KM or 4 years which ever comes first ..Any other thing na jare from there , if engine block break at high speed from there you cannot use any car manufacturer
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by abeggnow: 9:16pm On Apr 02, 2019
mejai:
Check fuel system (clogged nozzles)
check coils
was the compressor re-constructed?
change engine

that's all for now!
you are right about the engine change, i think the engine has lost compresion
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by Slymonster(m): 9:17pm On Apr 02, 2019
erico2k2:
Nairaland Engineers will not kill person

So many advise from change engine or fuel or new car or battery etc.. I am just wondering which idea he is going to take lol
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by SarkinYarki: 9:18pm On Apr 02, 2019
alezzy13:

It depends on usage and maintenance. Mine is just above 300,000km, and still going strong.

Na jara you dey enjoy as a result ofbvery good maintenance but there is no warranty or liability on the car manufacturer again
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by chigozienan: 9:26pm On Apr 02, 2019
Op, get a professional to run a scan.
My car experienced similar issue months ago. We changed the plugs but issue still persisted until a scan was run which pointed to the fuel pump. After change of fuel pump the car has since been back to its super state.
lwise:

Thanks
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by gbagyiza: 9:27pm On Apr 02, 2019
lwise:

The engine was ringed recently.I always have issue with the car jacking and vibrating as if the plugs are bad.I recently changed the plugs,service the engine but the situation remains the same . For the 1st 7 minutes of driving,hardly experience any issue.After sometime the car starts misbehaving and get worst if the AC is on.

I'm just tired cry cry

Your car need to be access by an expert before u can be advice on what to do. A difficult electrical fault can result to this behaviour. Some times if d engine management unit is tempered with, it result to this. Mechanical issues in d engine can also lead to this but it is easily detected unlike electrical issues, so I suspect electrical problem. Your car needs a proper diagnosis by an expert. Call me on 08060788299 for further assistance.
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by OilsPartsCars: 9:29pm On Apr 02, 2019
Yakeeboy:

Thanks I always have this unpleasant experience anytime I switch on my AC (Hyundai Accent 2008).At times in traffic the car stops completely,I have to switch OFF the car then ON it back.

Thanks bro go and buy Benz! All these Japanese cars will always give you headache. Since I have been using my Benz I have not visited the mechanic for once despite traveling with the car every time. Since I have dropped all these Japanese cars I have said no to mechanics.

You are coming to us soonest
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by Linsigne(m): 9:29pm On Apr 02, 2019
Yakeeboy:

Korean not Japanese bro, Japanese is the best car maker so far benz don dey behind ooo for example
In the company whr dey are produced Toyota have 19 pple checkin the car b4 taken to market, other car makers will have 6 or 5, so do tge judgement sir.
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by Nobody: 9:30pm On Apr 02, 2019
SarkinYarki:

True i share your point bro but not when a 10 years car was properly maintained and cared for. Hell, Have seen a car of 400,000 miles on YouTube still running smooth.

1 Like

Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by bekpo(m): 9:31pm On Apr 02, 2019
lwise:

I'm just tired cry cry

My dear, u need a new engine.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Oba Of Ugbo Is The First Black Man To Own A 2014 Bentley / 28 Toyota Trim Level Acronyms And What They Mean / Top 7 Major Facts You Don’t Know About Lexus. (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.