Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,988 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:02 AM

Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then - Nairaland / General (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then (22097 Views)

If All Our Parents Used To Take First Position, Who Takes The Other Positions? / Lies We Have Told Our Parents / Nice Vs Rugged Man, Who Was Wrong (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by spikedcylinder: 5:30pm On Sep 21, 2010
mädchen:

Man, there were some angry parents! Child protection services would have visited so many families , and taken the kids away.

Where are you from?
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by madchen(f): 5:31pm On Sep 21, 2010
mydreamz:

I always take my tea with a lot of sugar,
I remember mom was talking about my excessive intake of sugar this particular day while we were all having our breakfast of bread and tea
when my silly mouth just bursted out "THE ONLY SUGAR IN MY TEA" And I was just 8yr old
I dint know what made me say that, but bhoy dint I get thrashed. "OUCH"

You got thrashed for saying the only sugar in my tea  
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 5:31pm On Sep 21, 2010
mädchen:

Sorry to hear that. Did they ever give a reason for this action. Wonder if it is possible to ask them today?

Are you kidding? Ask for a reason? do you want a slap?

Anways, I guess they did that out of love. We grew up in a rough town and they were just trying to sheild us from the indigenes. It did help in some ways cos when I tell people where I grew up, the find it difficult to beleive!

stillwater:

grin grin grin

@topic
Putting the fear of 'herself' in me. grin Won't correct you without being insultive and making you look silly. I remember a scenario like this, mum says Stilly get me my bag. You go to her room and you find a thousand handbags there, you begin to ask yourself which bag is it? You begin to fight with your mind whether you should ask her or not, because with asking her you would get something like 'are you crazy'? Didn't you see the handbag I use more often than the rest? This is somebody that has carried like 5 handbags in a week.  undecided God help you, you bring the wrong one. undecided

Now she wants us to be chatting like friends. . .err. . . awkward! lipsrsealed
My dad's more reasonable and doesn't need anger management classes. grin kiss kiss

rotflmao  grin

I faced the whole 'fear' thing too . . . damn why do they do that?

I out grew the fear of my dad but fear for mumsi . . .   embarassed  embarassed
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 5:32pm On Sep 21, 2010
Ujujoan:

Dad: Who is that?

Me: My friend . . .

Dad: What? In my house? what do you know the word 'friend' means?

Me: *looking totally confused*

Dad: I asked you a question . . . what do you know about friendship?

Me: But dad, she's my friend in school . .

Dad: And so what? Your friendship should end is school oh, I don't want her in my house, do you hear me (shouting), I dont want her in my house! Infact tell her your daddy said he doesn't want her to be your friend! Do you hear me? When you grow up, you can start making friends . . Infact, tell her to go homw now!

Me: But dad I'm 15, can't I . .

Dad: My friend shut up! I said, NO FRIENDS and that's final!

Me:  cry  cry  cry  cry

I dont know sha, but for some reason, having friends was a no-no for us when we where growing up. No wonder I always pick the wrong friends now!  undecided

Lol. There wasn't like a no friend rule in my own house. But for some reason (I guess it's that fear again) I didn't have the nerve to bring friends home. grin
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by bawomolo(m): 5:32pm On Sep 21, 2010
mädchen:

you are obviously not nigerian.  you don't talk back to your almighty all knowing parents
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 5:32pm On Sep 21, 2010
spikedcylinder:

Where are you from?

certainly not from Nigeria! LOL  grin
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by sweetguy10(m): 5:33pm On Sep 21, 2010
[b]Mom's mistake is that she relates everything that happens in our house to some supernatural stuffs/As the cause of witches . Even if a mosquito over-bite mom or any of us mom will immediately carry her bible and engage  in a verbal war with some unseen spirit and all we hear is "die die by fire die by fire shira baba buska buska shaba shaba " . This attitude changed my younger brother's attitude that they view any unfortunate occurrence or petty accident  as the handiwork of the devil, Like when my youngest brother came third in his class' promotional exam though he used to be the first  he came home saying " it's the handiwork of the devil that somehow in the exam hall he could not see anything .Dad's hot slap descended on his face before he finished and mom took him to her room laid her hands on his head and was buskaing shirababaing roboskotoing , Damn ! it really got me pissed ,

Dad's mistake is he never allow us to stay in the kitchen when mom's cooking . Mom believed that she's teaching us to cook but dad always object and he made mom stopped it , we thought it was a good thing not until i had to start cooking myself , I burnt foods and added too much salt to the food .I could not even make a pap and the garri(eba ) do have lots of lumps  embarassed embarassed embarassed[/b]
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by omar22(m): 5:33pm On Sep 21, 2010
Parents do Abuse kids thinking that they are punishing them,  some do have a permanent damage to the Child

I once failed to promote from form 4 to form 5,  my parents called me all the names in the world, i couldnt touch the TV, video, stereo, I couldnt go out, I couldnt ask for food before they reminded me about my recent result,

Practically I was called a failure and fortunately for me I made amendments, 

Because you fail doesnt mean your a failure, failure is an event not a person, but our parents would bang it constantly to a point that you would accept that your a failure,

An English parent would say Better luck next time, meaning you could do better, encouraging the child to do better,

But beating a child because he failed is purely child abuse
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 5:34pm On Sep 21, 2010
mädchen:

Aint you from Nigeria,
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by DeepSoul(f): 5:34pm On Sep 21, 2010
Dayo, i think my mum and yours were friends in their former lifetime  grin
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by madchen(f): 5:35pm On Sep 21, 2010
Ujujoan:

I'm VERY Nigerian! smiley
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by tpiah: 5:35pm On Sep 21, 2010
i remeber this one wella. we were for a long time, the only muslims on my street as a kid. one sallah we found that 90% of our neighbours ('born agains') were basically throwing the ram meat we gave away

we always enjoyed the sallah meals our neighbor sent us, when i was a kid.

however, after i was grown, a friend [not from my area] told me she never eats such food because of the superstition attached to it.[fear]

now, this was in a different town so these things might vary from place to place.
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 5:35pm On Sep 21, 2010
sweetguy10:

Mom's mistake is that she relates everything that happens in our house to some supernatural stuffs/As the cause of witches . Even if a mosquito over-bite mom or any of us mom will immediately carry her bible and engage  in a verbal war with some unseen spirit and all we hear is "die die by fire die by fire shira baba buska buska shaba shaba " . This attitude changed my younger brother's attitude that they view any unfortunate occurrence or petty accident  as the handiwork of the devil, Like when my youngest brother came third in his class' promotional exam though he used to be the first  he came home saying " it's the handiwork of the devil that somehow in the exam hall he could not see anything .Dad's hot slap descended on his face before he finished and mom took him to her room laid her hands on his head and was buskaing shirababaing roboskotoing , Damn ! it really got me pissed ,

ROTFLMAO  grin   grin  grin  grin
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 5:36pm On Sep 21, 2010
mädchen:

But you dont sound like one
Some kids get there ass whooped if their Poo smells too much , jks grin grin grin grin
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by dayokanu(m): 5:36pm On Sep 21, 2010
Ujujoan:

Dad: Who is that?

Me: My friend . . .

Dad: What? In my house? what do you know the word 'friend' means?

Me: *looking totally confused*

Dad: I asked you a question . . . what do you know about friendship?

Me: But dad, she's my friend in school . .

Dad: And so what? Your friendship should end is school oh, I don't want her in my house, do you hear me (shouting), I dont want her in my house! Infact tell her your daddy said he doesn't want her to be your friend! Do you hear me? When you grow up, you can start making friends . . Infact, tell her to go homw now!

Me: But dad I'm 15, can't I . . (Dem no born me well to make this kain statement, But peradventure The goblins in our village are following me and I say something like this? Read following sequence below)

(At this point Mine would go like this)

Dad: Ok,  I didnt realise you are 15, Ok Go and stool down in my room. And get my the cane. Since you are 15, that mean you can start beating me in my house now abi?

After serious flogging If they ask me for my age I would say 5yrs

Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 5:36pm On Sep 21, 2010
mädchen:

I seriously doubt that!

Where are you from    undecided
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by spikedcylinder: 5:36pm On Sep 21, 2010
Ujujoan:

mädchen:

Ok then. I just hope you realise that no one hates their parents for choosing to bring them up the way they did? It's how they knew best.
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by madchen(f): 5:36pm On Sep 21, 2010
mydreamz:

Aint you from Nigeria,

100% but my parents didn't 'thrash' me for talking, And to assume that it's 'Nigerian' for parents to mistreat kids is wrong in my opinion, To each their own
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by bawomolo(m): 5:37pm On Sep 21, 2010
sweetguy10:

[b]Mom's mistake is that she relates everything that happens in our house to some supernatural stuffs/As the cause of witches . Even if a mosquito over-bite mom or any of us mom will immediately carry her bible and engage  in a verbal war with some unseen spirit and all we hear is "die die by fire die by fire shira baba buska buska shaba shaba " . This attitude changed my younger brother's attitude that they view any unfortunate occurrence or petty accident  as the handiwork of the devil, Like when my youngest brother came third in his class' promotional exam though he used to be the first  he came home saying " it's the handiwork of the devil that somehow in the exam hall he could not see anything .Dad's hot slap descended on his face before he finished and mom took him to her room laid her hands on his head and was buskaing shirababaing roboskotoing , Damn ! it really got me pissed ,  

Dad's mistake is he never allow us to stay in the kitchen when mom's cooking . Mom believed that she's teaching us to cook but dad always object and he made mom stopped it , we thought it was a good thing not until i had to start cooking myself , I burnt foods and added too much salt to the food .I could not even make a pap and the garri(eba ) do have lots of lumps  embarassed embarassed embarassed[/b]

ha ha keep up the stories guys
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by madchen(f): 5:38pm On Sep 21, 2010
dayokanu:

Ujujoan, I meant asking your parents today! I don't think they'd slap you today. I'm assuming everyone's grown
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 5:38pm On Sep 21, 2010
dayokanu:

(At this point Mine would go like this)

Dad: Ok,  I didnt realise you are 15, Ok Go and stool down in my room. And get my the cane. Since you are 15, that mean you can start beating me in my house now abi?

After serious flogging If they ask me for my age I would say 5yrs

ROTFLMAO  grin  grin

I guess that's the fun in being the last in a family of 9. My parents were tired of flogging by then!  cheesy
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by rubi(f): 5:40pm On Sep 21, 2010
Nice thread I have been laughing in the office

Will be right back to post
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 5:40pm On Sep 21, 2010
mädchen:

Ujujoan, I meant asking your parents today! I don't think they'd slap you today. I'm assuming everyone's grown

Oh you mean asking them now, Jeez, why would I care? It was how they knew best to raise their children and I hold no grudge whatosever against them. Really, I couldnt care less why the did it now!
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by spikedcylinder: 5:40pm On Sep 21, 2010
Ujujoan:

ROTFLMAO  grin  grin

I guess that's the fun in being the last in a family of 9. My parents were tired of flogging by then!  cheesy

Exactly! By the time it was my turn, my father was tired.
My mum was another matter sha. International beater, that woman. angry
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by dayokanu(m): 5:42pm On Sep 21, 2010
I think we should make another thread for ordeals of first born especially male first born.

At some time, I was so convinced they were not my parents, And I even formed pictures and scenarios in my head of how "my real parents gave me up for adoption"

I was wondering how my real parents can be this tough/wicked on me
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 5:43pm On Sep 21, 2010
Ujujoan:

ROTFLMAO  grin  grin

Me too, by the time it was my turn, they couldnt flog anymore
Even my dad had to agree that am soooo spoilt
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 5:46pm On Sep 21, 2010
dayokanu:

I think we should make another thread for ordeals of first born especially male first born.

At some time, I was so convinced they were not my parents, And I even formed pictures and scenarios in my head of how "my real parents gave me up for adoption"

I was wondering how my real parents can be this tough/wicked on me

LOL grin grin grin

My elder sister once ran away from home and lied to some 'good samaritans' that her parents were dead and she was an only child! grin grin

It took the grace of God for them to find her cos the couple had taken her in as their child. And she was only 10! embarassed
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by madchen(f): 5:47pm On Sep 21, 2010
Ujujoan:

I seriously doubt that!

Ujujoan:

I seriously doubt that!

Those were my words exactly in this thread earlier. I'm not asking anyone to hate their parents o! (Although I'm sure some do ) I'm yoruba! someone asked!
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 5:49pm On Sep 21, 2010
mädchen:

Those were my words exactly in this thread earlier. I'm not asking anyone to hate their parents o! (Although I'm sure some do ) I'm yoruba! someone asked!

Nodoby hates their parents. I would give anything to have my dad back, even if it would mean him flogging me again.  grin

My mum thank God, is still alive and I would give her the whole world if she asks.  kiss  kiss

But were you born and bred in Nigeria? Or did you live all your life overseas? undecided
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by madchen(f): 5:52pm On Sep 21, 2010
mädchen:

Born, and raised in Nigeria! I don't know for a fact if you can say that no one hates their parents. People resent their parents for many diverse reasons, and some don't even have anything to do with hitting a kid, or 'disciplining'

Good for you that you were not traumatised by ur parents 'disciplining' you.
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 5:53pm On Sep 21, 2010
My mother threatened to stop my brother's school for wooing a girl
It took the begging of the whole neighbourhood for her to come down
Good thing dad wasnt home when it happened, I swear that guy would miss the WAEC he was preparing for that time
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by madchen(f): 5:55pm On Sep 21, 2010
I'm not quoting right! Anyways Ujujoan, that was a direct reply to you post  wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Shocking Video: Real Life Mutant Vampire Boy Spotted In Angola, / Mad Man Takes Over Council Office In Akwa Ibom / Nairaland Needs Moderators Urgently

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.