Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,906 members, 7,828,185 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:09 AM

Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then - Nairaland / General (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then (22134 Views)

If All Our Parents Used To Take First Position, Who Takes The Other Positions? / Lies We Have Told Our Parents / Nice Vs Rugged Man, Who Was Wrong (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 11:09am On Sep 22, 2010
ElRazur:

Like you never called anyone names while you were growing up? You know, kids will be kids. While it may be wrong, we need to strike a balance between letting kids be kids etc. You dad did the right thing in my opinion. Instead of beating, detention etc works better.
You got me wrong am not in support of him beating those kids, I cant just imagine him cooling down to that extent.
If you had known him back in the days, you wont believe its the same person now.
All am saying is that he has changed and he really realised his whooping was bad, cos whenever the three of us kids are talking about the trashing we got from him, he is always quiet, only my mum makes some random remarks.
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by martinosi: 11:12am On Sep 22, 2010
Gamine:

90% Nigerian parents would have been locked up, if in some other countries.

Putting on pressure on us to become what they wanted, not nurturing our own innate abilities.
Not being physically affectionate enough. The hugs only came officially but well with so many kids to hug I blame them.lol

It's funny how many translate the relationship with their parents to the relationship they have with God (those that believe)
Many Nigerians cannot see God as a loving father. God would say 'there is Grace' They would say 'I know, I just have to prove to you I am worthy'

Sad.

Hmmm u have touched a point there.
I was in a church in Nigeria on my trip
2 weeks ago and the preacher was talking about
Judgement day and a christian pleading ignorance about
the Assignment Jesus gave him and the preacher said that
Jesus will tell the Angel by the christians side to "give him
a dirty slap"!!! lol u can tell this is coming from "Parental
Up-bringing"

My Dad discipline of us was serve and was boarder-line cruel
at most.But i guess they are only dishing out the correction that was given
to them as children.

But your point on God being a loving and caring father
who corrects without punishment is an "Alien Concept"
to most Nigerians due to parental up-bringing.

That could be the reason why Most Nigerian Preachers have this
Old Testament Prophet Preaching bias of Judgement & punishment
instead of a New Testament Father Son/Daughter Bias

U CAN DO A CHECK ON THIS FORUM AND I BET U ONLY 1% OF PARENTS
EVER TOLD THERE CHILDREN THAT "THEY LOVED THEM" WHILE GROWING UP!!!
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 11:15am On Sep 22, 2010
martinosi:

Hmmm u have touched a point there.
I was in a church in Nigeria on my trip
2 weeks ago and the preacher was talking about
Judgement day and a christian pleading ignorance about
the Assignment Jesus gave him and the preacher said that
Jesus will tell the Angel by the christians side to "give him
a dirty slap"!!! lol u can tell this is coming from "Parental
Up-bringing"

My Dad discipline of us was serve and was boarder-line cruel
at most.But i guess they are only dishing out the correction that was given
to them as children.

But your point on God being a loving and caring father
who corrects without punishment is an "Alien Concept"
to most Nigerians due to parental up-bringing.

That could be the reason why Most Nigerian Preachers have this
Old Testament Prophet Preaching bias of Judgement & punishment
instead of a New Testament Father Son/Daughter Bias

[b]U CAN DO A CHECK ON THIS FORUM AND I BET U ONLY 1% OF PARENTS
EVER TOLD THERE CHILDREN THAT "THEY LOVED THEM" WHILE GROWING UP!
!![/b]

Mine never told me that, but i know and have proofs that they do love me.
How difficult was it for them to say it undecided undecided
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 11:16am On Sep 22, 2010
ElRazur:

While I recognised that this thread is not a mouth-piece for most of Nigerians, it sort of make me wonder while courses like Social Work/Child care aint thriving in Naija. (Saw a thread the other day while someone who had a good degree in Social work was unable to find a job) Because clearly, there is a need for social intervention. I will use my case as an example and say, I would have run to such intervention if it were readily available while I was growing up in naija. My two cents.

Don't you understand? This is the Nigerian system. Even in schools, you got beaten back then for unjusitified reasons. Serious beating oh, with koboko. It's not like it was just a few parent's thing, it was a general thing. Their parents did it to them and they felt it was thrie right to do it to their children.

If you try to complian to an uncle or aunt, they themselves will give you the beating of your life.

Nobody would intervene with that cos it's just the way the system works!  sad
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by ElRazur: 11:16am On Sep 22, 2010
mydreamz:

You got me wrong am not in support of him beating those kids, I cant just imagine him cooling down to that extent.
If you had known him back in the days, you wont believe its the same person now.
All am saying is that he has changed and he really realised his whooping was bad, cos whenever the three of us kids are talking about the trashing we got from him, he is always quiet, only my mum makes some random remarks.

Okay, I don get you now.

My dad became relaxed too over the years, I guess their limbs and stamina ain't as powerful and flexible as before and hence forced to slow down by the ageing process.
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 11:22am On Sep 22, 2010
Yea, I never really understood why it was such a crime to mention your birthday to anybody back then!  embarassed

Birthday celebrations were not accepted. I remember when my sister once tried to 'rebel' by saying that that day was her birthday, she got serious beating and we were all banned from mentioning that word 'birthday'. I grew up not knowing any of my sibling's birthdays or my parents'. Sometimes I even forgot my own birthdays!  embarassed

That was an unjustified act. My dad would use every opportunity to host parties back then but when it came to his children's birthday's he just wouldnt hear of it. I really wonder why!  undecided

About 4 years ago, my BF then insisted on throwing me a birthday party. I felt out of sorts cos it was the firt time in my life I was celebrating my birthday.  embarassed  embarassed
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by ElRazur: 11:22am On Sep 22, 2010
Ujujoan:

Don't you understand? This is the Nigerian system. Even in schools, you got beaten back then for unjusitified reasons. Serious beating oh, with koboko. It's not like it was just a few parent's thing, it was a general thing. Their parents did it to them and they felt it was thrie right to do it to their children.

If you try to complian to an uncle or aunt, they themselves will give you the beating of your life.

I agree. I think what I am saying is that there is a market screaming out demand for such services, but as you rightly pointed out, it will be difficult to get implement due to the society itself. undecided
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 11:23am On Sep 22, 2010
the big question of the day:

how are WE going to go about instilling discipline in our kids

we are all 'enlightened' or so we think - bearing in mind that our parents probably were also enlightened compared to their parenst

worse - those  things tha got them so het up are in real force now - who will get caught with playboy by teachers when he has internet on his phone. dstv dey for house and we now have western idolization of musicans (rip da grin )
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by elrony(m): 11:23am On Sep 22, 2010
omar22:

NO MATTER WHAT THEY DID TO YOU,

Malachi 4:6 He will convince parents to look after their children and children to look up to their parents. If they refuse, I'll come and put the land under a curse."

i swear if in those process of thrashing i gat a deformity on my body, i ll shoot my father on his butt lol or do likewise to him
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 11:25am On Sep 22, 2010
I remember how my friends in school used to tell me how their parents never raised  hand on them
But me, I get those DOUBLED NITEL CABLE most of the time ,though he claims he dint really beat me compared to my two older ones. And my siblings really testified to it.
Back then I used to think those my friends are being spoilt by their parents. Now I know better.
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by ElRazur: 11:26am On Sep 22, 2010
Ujujoan:

Yea, I never really understood why it was such a crime to mention your birthday to anybody back then!  embarassed

Birthday celebrations were not accepted. I remember when my sister once tried to 'rebel' by saying that that day was her birthday, she got serious beating and we were all banned from mentioning that word 'birthday'. I grew up not knowing any of my sibling's birthdays or my parents'. Sometimes I even forgot my own birthdays!  embarassed

That was an unjustified act. My dad would use every opportunity to host parties back then but when it came to his children's birthday's he just wouldnt hear of it. I really wonder why!  undecided

About 4 years ago, my BF then insisted on throwing me a birthday party. I felt out of sorts cos it was the firt time in my life I was celebrating my birthday.  embarassed  embarassed

Yeah that is another thing that I experienced too. My dad only ever celebrated my birthday once, and it felt more like it was his party than it was mine. I had little say etc.

Up till now, I do not celebrate anything like that. I had my first degree and what not, and I just phoned to check my results. Didn't even turned up for graduation lol. I suppose it is one of those thing that I grew up with that is now manifesting itself all over again. I am currently doing another degree and I swear to god, I will party till I collapse on this one.  grin (Still not keen on birthdays though) lol
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 11:27am On Sep 22, 2010
oyb:

we are all 'enlightened' or so we think - bearing in mind that our parents probably were also enlightened compared to their parenst

worse - those  things tha got them so het up are in real force now - who will get caught with playboy by teachers when he has internet on his phone. dstv dey for house and we now have western idolization of musicans (rip da grin )

You know this is a question that has kept me up many nights. I can't bring myself to hit my kids bit what other method of discipline could I adapt.

With civilization against us (modern parents), how on earth can we cope    undecided
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by elrony(m): 11:29am On Sep 22, 2010
Ujujoan:

birthdays were out of my dictionary or else i would have my backside on a muhammed ali toaster oven
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Okijajuju1(m): 11:29am On Sep 22, 2010
mydreamz:

I remember how my friends in school used to tell me how their parents never raised  hand on them
But me, I get those DOUBLED NITEL CABLE most of the time ,though he claims he dint really beat me compared to my two older ones. And my siblings really testified to it.
Back then I used to think those my friends are being spoilt by their parents. Now I know better.

I laugh at your Nitel Cable, Double or Quadrupled!!

Try my NEPA CABLE!! The one used to run light from Pole to Meter!! Doubled!! With bottles on the side  grin
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by mothersjoy: 11:31am On Sep 22, 2010
Elrazur, the reasonable ones have to stop ie the disciplinarians. As the children grow up it is reasonable to assume that the children are better aware of the error of their ways and they are corrected in words rather than trashing. Some parents wait until they get into a physical with their kids and the child has the upper hand. This happened to an uncle of mine. Others get really verbally abusive and demeaning that their adult children stop speaking with them then you know the oppressive abusers.
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 11:31am On Sep 22, 2010
ElRazur:

Yeah that is another thing that I experienced too. My dad only ever celebrated my birthday once, and it felt more like it was his party than it was mine. I had little say etc.

Up till now, I do not celebrate anything like that. I had my first degree and what not, and I just phoned to check my results. Didn't even turned up for graduation lol. I suppose it is one of those thing that I grew up with that is now manifesting itself all over again. I am currently doing another degree and I swear to god, I will party till I collapse on this one.  grin (Still not keen on birthdays though) lol

lol  grin  grin

Me, I celebrate my birthdays now oh, but of course, I never remember my mum's birthday. My dad passed on before I started making any money so my mum is left to bear the consequences now. I see peole celebrate land mark birthdays for their parents but it never crosses our minds (me and my sibling)  grin
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by madchen(f): 11:32am On Sep 22, 2010
elrony:

birthdays were out of my dictionary or else i would have my backside on a muhammed ali toaster oven
The birthday thing I have never heard! Were you guys raised as Jehova's Witnesses? They are the only ones I know that don't celebrate birthdays.
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Okijajuju1(m): 11:33am On Sep 22, 2010
oyb:

Look!! I dont think I am wholly against whooping a child o!! Infact flogging is still one of the surest and time tested means of discipline. But IMO, we shouldnt abuse it like our parents and their parents did. I dont think flogging should be punishment for a child who went out to play football in front of the house with the neighbours kids.

But if he steals, whoop the shi't outta that kid.
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by madchen(f): 11:35am On Sep 22, 2010
Okija_juju:

Look!! I dont think I am wholly against whooping a child o!! Infact flogging is still one of the surest and time tested means of discipline. But IMO, we shouldnt abuse it like our parents and their parents did. I dont think flogging should be punishment for a child who went out to play football in front of the house with the neighbours kids.

And when you 'whoop the shit out of that kid' , what does that solve? Does it stop the kid from stealing again As we have read on this thread, some people have said that they became better liars. *Food for thought*
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 11:36am On Sep 22, 2010
Okija_juju:

But 'flogging' doesn't solve anything!

You know, my elder sister was a real 'black sheep'. It was like, the more she got flogged, the worse things she did. One time, my dad poured boiling water on her fingers for painting her nails with curtext, and the next day, she used a darker shade!

If you flog your child for stealing, it won't make him to stop. It'll only make him to steal and not get caught. Hitting a child NEVER solves anything!
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by elrony(m): 11:37am On Sep 22, 2010
nope we were'nt@madchen

Okija_juju:

Try my NEPA CABLE!! The one used to run light from Pole to Meter!! Doubled!! With bottles on the side  grin

HAVE U TESTED A GLASS CUP SMASHED ON YOUR HEAD
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Okijajuju1(m): 11:39am On Sep 22, 2010
mädchen:

And when you 'whoop the poo out of that kid' , what does that solve? Does it stop the kid from stealing again As we have read on this thread, some people have said that they became better liars. *Food for thought*

The reason being that they got used to the pain!! I was flogged with doubled-electric wire almost twice a month so I git immune to it but that dont mean I liked it!

If a child knows that all he would get for stealing is a talk and grounding, I wonder!! But if he gets a whoopin, the pain would always serve as a reminder why he or she shouldnt do that. Its called pain therapy.
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 11:40am On Sep 22, 2010
Okija_juju:

Try my NEPA CABLE!! The one used to run light from Pole to Meter!! Doubled!! With bottles on the side  grin

elrony:

nope we were'nt@madchen

[b][/b]

HAVE U TESTED A GLASS CUP SMASHED ON YOUR HEAD

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
FAINTS
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by madchen(f): 11:41am On Sep 22, 2010
Ujujoan:

Well I honestly hope that the system changes. It's a terrible culture, a terrible system and a ridiculous way of handling kids. It is. A lot of these parents must have been frustrated, work, in-laws, cheating spouses, and they took it out on the poor defenceless kid. Were they really trying to 'raise' healthy and balanced kids? I would say no! It's just instilling fear.

I also beg to differ that it was a general thing. I was NEVER hit by my parents.  My parents always spoke to my siblings and I . They understood that we were individuals.  And  I love and respect them totally today for that! Communication lines should always be kept open!  YES, I was born and raised in Nigeria! What is bad is bad, there's no other name for it. Beating your kids until they are almost comatose is wrong!!!!!!! Simply put!
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by madchen(f): 11:44am On Sep 22, 2010
Ujujoan:

You know, my elder sister was a real 'black sheep'. It was like, the more she got flogged, the worse things she did. One time, my dad poured boiling water on her fingers for painting her nails with curtext, and the next day, she used a darker shade!

If you flog your child for stealing, it won't make him to stop. It'll only make him to steal and not get caught. Hitting a child NEVER solves anything!
ITA Ujujoan!
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by ElRazur: 11:44am On Sep 22, 2010
mothersjoy:

Elrazur, the reasonable ones have to stop ie the disciplinarians. As the children grow up it is reasonable to assume that the children are better aware of the error of their ways and they are corrected in words rather than trashing. Some parents wait until they get into a physical with their kids and the child has the upper hand. This happened to an uncle of mine. Others get really verbally abusive and demeaning that their adult children stop speaking with them then you know the oppressive abusers.

I think by the time they stopped, the damage is already done. Also most of them only stopped because age caught up with them (You can still tell in their voice you that they wish they were in control)

Most of these damage are almost irreparable and sows a seed that most likely will give out negative result. I am a good example of that, I did not attend his funeral because of what I experienced from him. And as it stand, it will probably be the same with my Sister IF attempts are not made to reconcile etc.   You see, I am speaking from the heart and it is clear to see that I have hatred and unwillingness to probably forgive sown in me towards these set of people.
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Okijajuju1(m): 11:45am On Sep 22, 2010
Ujujoan:

HUH!!  shocked   shocked

I am speechless!!

Look I understand the whole grounding thing e.t.c, but I think different kids call for different disciplinary methods. My kid sister crys when she is grounded. Grounding being; sit on the chair, with the TV tuned to CARTOON NETWORK and dont move or talk. She would cry her eyes out and apologise for whatever it is she was being grounded for. But once shes ungrounded, it barely takes her 1hour to repeat the same deed for which she was initially grounded. But if you smack her, she gets the message, and quick!!!
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 11:46am On Sep 22, 2010
My elder sister had it the roughest of all of us. She wasn't even the first, she was the 3rd. But for some reason, she was just plain stubborn. The more you beat her, the worse she got.

@ 10, she ran away from home.

@ 15, she got pregnant for a married man, had an abortion on her own and almost died from the bleeding.

@ 20, she was in the university, collecting money for school fees and never going for lectures. After 4 years, she graduated, without a degree!

@ 25, she ran away with her BF and we didn't from her for 2 years. She came back, broke, single and jobeless. She had to start life all over!

@ 30, she's single, no meaningful job, has practically no sense of responsibilty and the whole family still take turns to pay for her house rent!

But looking back now, I could just see that she wasn't raised right. What she needed was love and not beatings. She was the sweetest, brightest and most generous of us all. She couldnt cope with the level of discipline and she went haywire. If I can see that now, why couldn't they see it back then    undecided

Now, I just pray she finds her way, cos she's just a poor lost soul!  sad  sad
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by madchen(f): 11:47am On Sep 22, 2010
Okija_juju:

HUH!!  shocked   shocked

I am speechless!!

Look I understand the whole grounding thing e.t.c, but I think different kids call for different disciplinary methods. My kid sister crys when she is grounded. Grounding being; sit on the chair, with the TV tuned to CARTOON NETWORK and dont move or talk. She would cry her eyes out and apologise for whatever it is she was being grounded for. But once shes ungrounded, it barely takes her 1hour to repeat the same deed for which she was initially grounded. But if you smack her, she gets the message, and quick!!!
'Smacking' does not define the experiences shared on this thread! Cable wires, bottles, that's not smacking! That's child abuse. Plain and simple. *In my humble opinion*
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 11:50am On Sep 22, 2010
Okija_juju:

HUH!!  shocked   shocked

I am speechless!!

Yep, she still bears the scar till today!  embarassed  embarassed  embarassed

Your kid sister is a baby. Wait till she's in her teen. It'll be a whole new ball game entirely. Then she would have developed a tough skin for the beatings and a better tactic to escape them!  cheesy
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by madchen(f): 11:50am On Sep 22, 2010
Ujujoan:

My elder sister had it the roughest of all of us. She wasn't even the first, she was the 3rd. But for some reason, she was just plain stubborn. The more you beat her, the worse she got.

@ 10, she ran away from home.

@ 15, she got pregnant for a married man, had an abortion on her own and almost died from the bleeding.

@ 20, she was in the university, collecting money for school fees and never going for lectures. After 4 years, she graduated, without a degree!

@ 25, she ran away with her BF and we didn't from her for 2 years. She came back, broke, single and jobeless. She had to start life all over!

@ 30, she's single, no meaningful job, has practically no sense of responsibilty and the whole family still take turns to pay for her house rent!

But looking back now, I could just see that she wasn't raised right. What she needed was love and not beatings. She was the sweetest, brightest and most generous of us all. She couldnt cope with the level of discipline and she went haywire. If I can see that now, why couldn't they see it back then    undecided

Now, I just pray she finds her way, cos she's just a poor lost soul!  sad  sad
I am sooooo sorry your poor sister had to go through all of this. Is she in Nigeria now? You are right ! Showing love is all that a kid needs, they are not goats that have to be flogged! No way! They are human beings, malleable and impressionable. We can clearly see that from your sisters case. Bless her!
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 11:52am On Sep 22, 2010
i think a large part of parental discipline involves taking out your frustrations - at work, with family etal on your kids

it may also have to do with the people your parents hang out with.

at one point in my dad's career, he was attached to a military hospital - i think that was when koboko's made their entrance

there was also a time when things were HARD - though we as kids didn't really notice(i was ten/eleven at the time) , and i think this played its part

most of our beatings then had to do with wasting of food.

anyway - my old man has nothing on some of the stuff i've read here

he was in the middle east for 10 years, basically throughmy uni and secondary school. we got on very well then, but when he came back home finally, he made my life miserable. it seemed i had become all the things he did not like i was watching movies ( 'it is against the policyy of this family to join video club'  cheesy, had a large wardrobe ( my dad hates' showing off') . for the next 10 mths, my life was miserable - as he sought to 'mould me back into his desired image. we've never really lived that down.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (18) (Reply)

Nairaland Needs Moderators Urgently / All Elections In Nigeria Were Rigged Since 1960 - Jonathan / #ThingsILongThroatFor Now Trending On Twitter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.