Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,058 members, 7,828,723 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:22 PM

Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then - Nairaland / General (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then (22137 Views)

If All Our Parents Used To Take First Position, Who Takes The Other Positions? / Lies We Have Told Our Parents / Nice Vs Rugged Man, Who Was Wrong (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by dayokanu(m): 4:03am On Sep 22, 2010
Number 2.> Mid April 1993.

I was supposed to go for lessons but I on my way there, was gisting with my friends about Australia 1993 U21 tournament and didnt go for lessons. around 7 I went back home and met my dad, He asked what we learnt today, i told him Maths and Social Studies.

Later some of our lesson teachers saw my dad somewhere and asked if I was sick cos I didnt come to lessons.

My dad came back and asked me If I was sure I went to lessons, I claimed I did and said the teacher didnt know what he was saying. I thought that was the end.

The following day He followed me to the Lesson took me to the Maths teacher and asked if I was in his class, I confused the teacher about the dates and he said he isn't sure but its like he saw me in class. Next we went to the social studies teacher but that one caught my lie immediately and said he was sure I wasn't in class and the day I was referring to was an earlier class.

When I got home my mom quickly went to sleep because she cant stand what would come next, I usually lock our house door and drop the keys in my dads room, as I went to drop the keys he locked his room door and brought out 8 freshly bought canes.

He gave me a beating plan: first day 60strokes, 2nd day 24 and 3rd day 12. (I have to discount slaps and kicks in between and some bonus beatings)

That night my mom had to come out of her room and was banging the door crying too . By the 3rd day I could barely walk. By then 6 of those canes were broken and worn out

The number 1 was the mother of all beating.  September 9 1995
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by dayokanu(m): 4:09am On Sep 22, 2010
LadyT:

I wish our parents spoke about sex more!

Sex!!!! That was a forbidden topic, If I am watching TV with my parents and 2 ppl are kissing, I would wish the ground would swallow me right there.

Since I was the first born, I knew all about sex from my friends in school, Till age 12 I wasnt sure how ppl make babies.

Friends told me it was through sex, I overheard my parent say "God give babies" So I believed them because If babies can ONLY be through sex How come some people are barren?

I believed people would just get married and live together and at some time God would just make the woman pregnant.

I also thought babies came out through the anus. shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by tpiah: 4:10am On Sep 22, 2010
LadyT:

My mother was the worse teacher. I remember her teaching me the time I had the hell beaten out of me that day because I kept getting it wrong. After one final knock on the head and pulling of the cheek I concentrated and got it right. As I grew older though I sometimes wished she would just smack me and get it over with. Her lectures are like hell they go on and on and on then you lose concentration and she would ask you to repeat what she said. If you got it wrong the talking or rather screaming would start again. Even after you have been sent to your room as soon as she saw you again the ranting will continue with the addition of bringing up past sins!

I wish our parents spoke about sex more!

em, no correlation between the first and second paragraphs.

just saying before a Hot nler grabs you asap.
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by tpiah: 4:13am On Sep 22, 2010
@dayokanu

na wa o.

you suppose be the meekest person on this nl, with all this one you're saying here.

why is that not so.
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 4:17am On Sep 22, 2010
Yea, why do Nigerian parents suck with sex education?

Even tho most of them work in the medical field, they rarely educate their children. All we hear is "Dont talk to boys".
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by dayokanu(m): 4:23am On Sep 22, 2010
Tpiah,

The beating actually hardened me. I wanted to get away from home, I hated holidays and I was praying govt would make school all-year round.

All the beating made me a better liar, cos the consequence of telling the truth or telling half baked lies were too much to imagine.

Thus I grew up in a house full of people but I was alone, My sisters were also first class (Amebos) who would try to outdo themselves in who has more tales to tell about Dayo to our parents. So I learnt how to live in solitude and be my own companion

Most of the times when I talk to my dad now, Its usually in monologues Unless we are discussing football or Israel vs Palestine wars

Later we had a discussion and he told me about his own life story how his parents never really cared for his education, I believed he did most of what he did because of the fear that he doesnt want be to turn out a failure in life.

My dads gift for getting good grades were either Further Math Project by Sivasubramaniam or Godman textbooks
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by chika98: 4:32am On Sep 22, 2010
Oh wow@ DayoKanu. You even remember the dates. I'm kinda wanting to hear the mother of all. That is crazy beating o!
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by chic2pimp(m): 4:32am On Sep 22, 2010
Mum chased away any female friends that came visting cuz i was allegedly 'Too Young' to have GF's. I clearly remember this occasion I think I must have been 13 years old and this pretty 15 year old came looking for me. Mum refused to let her in.  In my act of desperation, I think I must have used all the tricks in the book from 'She is my friend's elder sister' to 'She came over to teach my maths' but still she refused her let in. Still haven't forgiven her till tis day.
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by oyinda3(f): 4:38am On Sep 22, 2010
what's the big deal about sex education sef.
the only children that need explicit sex education in my opinion are the ones that start having sex early (maybe due to bad friends etc). and such a child is probably already a lost cause.
most decent kids don't really need it.

chic2pimp:

Mum chased away any female friends that came visting cuz i was allegedly 'Too Young' to have GF's. I clearly remember this occasion I think I must have been 13 years old and this pretty 15 year old came looking for me. Mum refused to let her in.  In my act of desperation, I think I must have used all the tricks in the book from 'She is my friend's elder sister' to 'She came over to teach my maths' but still she refused her let in. Still haven't forgiven her till tis day.

lol. Your mom knew you inside out huh? grin
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by chic2pimp(m): 4:43am On Sep 22, 2010
dayokanu:

He gave me a beating plan: first day 60strokes, 2nd day 24 and 3rd day 12. (I have to discount slaps and kicks in between and some bonus beatings)
CLASSIC!!!! grin cheesy grin

oyinda.:

lol. Your mom knew you inside out huh? grin
I was too young and Innocent to have a dirty mind tongue grin
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by oyinda3(f): 4:47am On Sep 22, 2010
right cheesy
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by bawomolo(m): 5:16am On Sep 22, 2010
the only children that need explicit sex education in my opinion are the ones that start having sex early (maybe due to bad friends etc). and such a child is probably already a lost cause.

lol this doesn't make sense.  what's decent to you may not be decent to me

My dads gift for getting good grades were either Further Math Project by Sivasubramaniam or Godman textbooks

you and your pops need a special on Dr.Phil grin
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by rasputinn(m): 6:33am On Sep 22, 2010
How back then is the back then you're referring to so I know if it was when I was way too young to notice undecided undecided
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by omar22(m): 7:20am On Sep 22, 2010
I was once caught with a play-boy magazine at school,

I was asked to hold a table with my belly button lined up with the height of the table,  24 strokes and because i let at go number 19, they started again,  each teacher that walked pass where I knelt down gave me a slap or knock in the head after a week of what call physical brutality,  I was told to bring in my parents,  that's when the word suicide came to mind,  I had to ask my eldest sister to come with me,

6 years ago I remember that incident,  I honestly believe that if that incident had happened over here in the UK I would have sued that school for everything it has,
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Kilode1: 7:40am On Sep 22, 2010
each teacher that walked pass where I knelt down gave me a slap or knock in the head

Classic!!

I think Nigerian school teachers have an unspoken partnership with some Parents.

@Dayokanu, biko, abeg e don do o!, except you are getting some kind of Catharsis from it smiley

I feel you though, you were not alone then, even those dates seem to correlate with some experiences grin

You suffer o shocked grin
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by chika98: 7:43am On Sep 22, 2010
^^ Care to share some of em with us?
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Smi1(m): 7:53am On Sep 22, 2010
Chiéé !!! Enough stories flying up & down sounds funny to me but they still remain the fact. I could still remember some bad experience back then when my parents won't allow me to join my friends in playing football and whenever I return late from school " Oh damn  my mom ill tell me to pick pin for an hour + , there was a certain time I had a poor result at school Oh damn, my parents ceased me from watching tv, playing video games, friends weren't allowed to come look for me at home. I got brushed up so many times for trying to prove my self right but it normally ends up like this " you are trying to disrespect your parents ,  aight? " they made me believe in superstition stories about witches and whenever i see birds or other animal my heart goes directly to what my parents made me to believe about some neigbours trying to transform into cat or some animals to hinder their progress smiley) .

My parent's weren't harsh with me that much, @ DK i think you passed through hell and that's what makes you a man today, in Nigeria elders we don't know what discipline or respect means, elders walk on younger people for silly things and they always have a way of defending it saying " elders don't lie or don't argue with elders "

@Wallie , you are right about francophone people are full of affection and I have been many of them and I know their culture and ways of doing.
my fiancé is even a Franco - Cameroonian , I think nigeria parents should take a bit slowly in bringing up kids, It's not logical for a parent to beat up a kid just because he or she didn't get back home early from school, that's why nigerians will rather remain in suffering & smiling ,  our hearts is full of fears,
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by bkbabe97y(m): 8:07am On Sep 22, 2010
Damn, looks like most of yall was abused as kids! Well, mines was my folks always warning me to stay away from anyone whose names started with "CHI" or "ADA" or "OBI", cause they was most likely Ibo and more prone to trying to kidnap my fine aszz, barbecue, then eat me for lunch- - - - or wuteva it is Ibo men do with kids they kidnap! grin

Joking, dont go bring out the Gatlings!
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Kilode1: 8:21am On Sep 22, 2010
chika98:

^^ Care to share some of em with us?

Nope, I already shared my "wise" thoughts on page 5; https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=511646.msg6796826#msg6796826 cool

If you insist, just take a few koboko lashes out of Dayokanu's stories, mellow his dad down just a little bit and you pretty much have mine grin grin
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Smi1(m): 8:29am On Sep 22, 2010
bk.babe97y:

Damn, looks like most of yall was abused as kids! Well, mines was my folks always warning me to stay away from anyone whose names started with "CHI" or "ADA" or "OBI", cause they was most likely Ibo and more prone to trying to kidnap my fine aszz, barbecue, then eat me for lunch- - - - or wuteva it is Ibo men do with kids they kidnap! grin

Joking, dont go bring out the Gatlings!

LOOLx i heard that too while grewing up as a kid, it wasn't true at all it was just a tribalistic thingy on the igbo people, a lot is also said about the Yorubas too. gracias tantro x) smiley wink
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by chika98: 8:32am On Sep 22, 2010
S@mi:

[size=10pt][font=Maiandra GD]Chiéé !!! Enough stories flying up & down sounds funny to me but they still remain the fact. I could still remember some bad experience back then when my parents won't allow me to join my friends in playing football and whenever I return late from school " Oh damn  my mom ill tell me to[b] pick pin for an hour +[/b] , there was a certain time I had a poor result at school Oh damn, my parents ceased me from watching tv, playing video games, friends weren't a

People won't really understand how painful that is. To pick pin! The worst kinda thing ever!

Kilode?!:

Nope, I already shared my "wise" thoughts on page 5; https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=511646.msg6796826#msg6796826  cool

If you insist, just take a few koboko lashes out of Dayokanu's stories, mellow his dad down just a little bit and you pretty much have mine grin grin

DayoKanu's is a bit on the extreme side. I mean really that is so crazy!

An uncle of mine flogged and told me that he would leave a mark on my body so that I would never forget telling him " I will get you a cup of water when i am done"
I still have the scar to show for that! I mean I wonder how a grown man would beat a little girl with the intent to leave a scar on her body.
Now he wonders why I never call him.

Another one that came to stay with us for a bit flogged us with belt buckle because we forgot to bring the clothes inside the house before the sun went down.
That was our crime so we got some serious whopping. I swear it is amazing what we went through as kids sha
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 8:37am On Sep 22, 2010
chika98:

People won't really understand how painful that is. To pick pin! The worst kinda thing ever!

An uncle of mine flogged and told me that he would leave a mark on my body so that I would never forget telling him " I will get you a cup of water when i am done"
I start have the scar to show for that! I mean I wonder how a grown man would beat a little girl with the intent to leave a scar on her body.
Now he wonders why I never call him.

My dad did that to my brother a lot, now he has scars all over his body. And my dad wonders why my brother never get along with him now.
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by chika98: 8:44am On Sep 22, 2010
mydreamz:

My dad did that to my brother a lot, now he has scars all over his body. And my dad wonders why my brother never get along with him now.

You can never relate to people who whooped and did things to you. Children will be children and they ought to be left
alone to do just that disciplined but not overt. Mischievous ones such as myself got beat more by other people than my own ma. I remember one time
I climbed over the fence to go and "pluck" paw paw at the neighbors house. She caught me red handed. Left the other folks but
gave me the beating of my life! Gave me the broken cane to go and put under my bed so that as to remember when I went to go and
steal. She's our family friend o. My family sure had a word with her afterwards and I loathe her till date.
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by ElRazur: 8:49am On Sep 22, 2010
@Dayokanu

How was the whole "dad apologising" thing feels? I think it was something I would have wanted to get out of my dad. I suppose it must have been a relief?

My brother did manage to get him to see his ways were wrong. After X amount of long reality talk between my father and my brother, my dad didn't sleep for the night, he was just down and thinking all night.

I mean, who are we back then to dare say he was wrong or he did something unacceptable? He towered over us like a giant, and instead of respect I feel it was more about fear.

I can remember him coming home, and I am shitting myself thinking I have done something wrong, even though I've been in my room studying all day. SMH. To me, that is just wrong.

When it comes to discipline, the combination of huge wires as a form of whip and Corporal punishment was borderline abuse I think. It just got to a stage that my skin become naturally resistant to the lash that I just tend to shake them off. But gosh, they beatings do hurt.

I remember one of the most humiliating moment in my life, it was in ilorin and I must have lied to my dad out of the fear of him finding out and beating the Jesus out of me, but anyway he did find I lied and he flogged me right in front of the class embarassed I just felt the ground should opened up and swallowed me.

Apart from my dad, I also lived with my Sister in Lagos and her treatment was just a systematic abuse, and one of the many reasons we just don't get along. I was taken from a science school in Lokoja and thrown into a public school in Lagos, while her own kids attended Federal Government Colleges.  Then there's the subtle mental and physiological abuses like she buys the best of the best for her kids, and I have to make do with something that stands out that I am different.

Take one of these for instance, I was in Morocco Comprehensive High School in Jibowu, and when I finished, I have to trek all the way to Mushin to go and give a helping hand at the shop, there is little or no time to read, and going to her shop after school is mandatory as I am not allowed to go home in shomolu (Which is just about 15 mins walk away) but go all the way to mushin. The had tremendous impact on my ability as a student, but somehow some way I managed to pull it through.  On comparison, when her kids finish from school, they get picked up and dropped at home where they can study etc. Oh and when we close for the day at mushin, I will have to carry all the cooking for the family on my head and walk back to Shomolu, while she takes a bus most times. I know this is hard for most to see as the truth, but I really have nothing to lie about.

There have been times I get fed up with how I am treated at my sister and I do rebel. So what will be the punishment? I am denied food for a week. No joke. I will not go to the shop and she will not give me pocket money either, it was painful back then and still painful right now as I am typing it. But yeah, it is wrong and very wrong.   .      .       .       .  

More to come.
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by snthesis(m): 9:20am On Sep 22, 2010
the fear of my papa's koboko was d beginning of wisdom (how come most ppl rememba koboko- ws it a standard issue bac in d days i.e. once u became a dad u were automatically given one). i have neva called my father Dad- tis either Papa or Sir, neva got a hug, twas always a miracle if he remembered my bday. Once i've been dumped in d boarding house -dey 4got all abt me- visiting day didnt exist in dier dictionary.

from all the experiences posted so far small wonder boarding houses was hell, people actually transferred the anger/lessons learnt from home and transferred it to the juniors, i had more than my fair share of whooping from so called seniors unfortunately for me i didnt get to inflict my own cos by then the school system had changed angry angry
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by rman: 9:23am On Sep 22, 2010
A girl wrote me a love love letter in primary5. She even undelined an wrote in red ink ''I love you''. I barely even talk to girls at school then but I kept the letter in my bag tlll my mum found it. I was beaten till I could not shed tears and yell no more. I hated my mum and dad then. Up till today I didn't know what my crime was. That event had shaped my life about mixing with the opposite sex till today. Not confident of taking her home as an adult. I have made adjustments but sub-conciously it still there.

@Dayokanu,

I feel you bro. I can relate to all your stories.

Unfortunately for me, my mum and dad were mean. I am a twin(First born too) but I get the funny feeling that they hate me amongst my siblings. What made it worse is we are fraternal twins. The only thing that kept me holding on was the pictures of us as babies and at different stages of growing up. I barely talk because I don't want to make mistakes and get punished.
My dad is a teacher too and mum works as a bursar.

Now, I am not close either even when they try to be friendly. We can hardly hold a phone conversation for a minute. Deep down I love them so much, but I can not show it by words. Just meeting some basic financial obligation of theirs now does it for me.
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 9:27am On Sep 22, 2010
dayokanu:

Tpiah,

The beating actually hardened me. I wanted to get away from home, I hated holidays and I was praying govt would make school all-year round.

All the beating made me a better liar, cos the consequence of telling the truth or telling half baked lies were too much to imagine.

Thus I grew up in a house full of people but I was alone, My sisters were also first class (Amebos) who would try to outdo themselves in who has more tales to tell about Dayo to our parents. So I learnt how to live in solitude and be my own companion

Most of the times when I talk to my dad now, Its usually in monologues Unless we are discussing football or Israel vs Palestine wars

Later we had a discussion and he told me about his own life story how his parents never really cared for his education, I believed he did most of what he did because of the fear that he doesnt want be to turn out a failure in life.

Wow, this is really deep. I guess as the first/only son it must have been intense! undecided undecided

Ha!

Hmm, my own experience still remain the worst I pray no one ever go through. Got to a point in my life that I asked myself if I was adopted.

Right from the moment I started knowing my right from wrong, my dad would treat me as grown up ( age 7 to be precise). He would beat me mercilessly for playing with neighbours children, flogged my a.s.s out for disliking a particular kind of food, he would kick me heavily for playing football, slapped me often for chosen to go to school rather than learn a trade or handwork.

He would use his siren car to warn of his imminent arrival at home (he worked for the army, though not one himself) i.e he would start this noisy thing to disengage me from any activity I was having with friends, he smacked me at the slightest provocation, beat me whenever I cautioned my lil sister and lots more.

He died seven years ago and still beats me in the dream until about seven months ago when I said enough is enough. My Pastor also joined me in the prayers.

I have actually forgiven him long time ago. Before his untimely death, on his sickbed, he looked at me and say, 'son, don't let me die', and I said to him father, do you believe in Jesus?, he nodded and right there he accepted Jesus into his life. Few days later, he was gone.

shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by ElRazur: 9:27am On Sep 22, 2010
snthesis:

the fear of my papa's koboko  was d beginning of wisdom (how come most ppl rememba koboko- ws it a standard issue bac in d days i.e. once u became a dad u were automatically given one). i have neva called my father Dad- tis either Papa or Sir, neva got a hug, twas always a miracle if he remembered my bday. Once i've been dumped in d boarding house -dey 4got all abt me- visiting day didnt exist in dier dictionary.

from all the experiences posted so far small wonder boarding houses was hell, people actually transferred the anger/lessons learnt from home and transferred it to the juniors, i had more than my fair share of whooping from so called seniors unfortunately for me
i didnt get to inflict my own cos by then the school system had changed angry angry

Hey, I am not trying to single you out, but as a few pointed already, this is one of the problems with this style of upbringing the some of us have expressed - It seem to goes on. I mean, you wanted to inflict some of yours probably as a result of what you experienced.
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Nobody: 9:35am On Sep 22, 2010
ElRazur:

@Dayokanu

How was the whole "dad apologising" thing feels? I think it was something I would have wanted to get out of my dad. I suppose it must have been a relief?

My brother did manage to get him to see his ways were wrong. After X amount of long reality talk between my father and my brother, my dad didn't sleep for the night, he was just down and thinking all night.

I mean, who are we back then to dare say he was wrong or he did something unacceptable? He towered over us like a giant, and instead of respect I feel it was more about fear.

I can remember him coming home, and I am shitting myself thinking I have done something wrong, even though I've been in my room studying all day. SMH. To me, that is just wrong.

When it comes to discipline, the combination of huge wires as a form of whip and Corporal punishment was borderline abuse I think. It just got to a stage that my skin become naturally resistant to the lash that I just tend to shake them off. But gosh, they beatings do hurt.

I remember one of the most humiliating moment in my life, it was in ilorin and I must have lied to my dad out of the fear of him finding out and beating the Jesus out of me, but anyway he did find I lied and he flogged me right in front of the class embarassed I just felt the ground should open up and swallow me.

Apart from my dad, I also lived with my Sister in Lagos and her treatment was just a systematic abuse, and one of the many reasons we just don't get along. I was taken from a science school in Lokoja and thrown into a public school in Lagos, while her own kids attended Federal Government Colleges. Then there's the subtle mental and physiological abuses like she buys the best of the best for her kids, and I have to make do with something that stands out that I am different.

Take one of these for instance, I was in Morocco Comprehensive High School in Jibowu, and when I finished, I have to trek all the way to Mushin to go and give a helping hand at the shop, there is little or not time to read, and going to her shop after school is mandatory as I am not allowed to go home in shomolu (Which is just about 15 mins walk away) but go all the way to mushin. The had tremendous impact on my ability as a student, but somehow some way I managed to pull it through. On comparison, when her kids finish from school, they get picked up and dropped at home where they can study etc. Oh and when we close for the day at mushin, I will have to carry all the cooking for the family on my head and walk back to Shomolu, while she takes a bus most times. I know this is hard for most to see as the truth, but I really have nothing to lie about.

There have been times I get fed up with how I am treated at my sister and I do rebel. So what will be the punishment? I am denied food for a week. No joke. I will not go to the shop and she will not give me pocket money either, it was painful back then and still painful right now as I am typing it. But yeah, it is wrong and very wrong. . . . .

More to come.

Wow! sad sad sad sad
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by Smi1(m): 9:45am On Sep 22, 2010
ElRazur:

@Dayokanu

I remember one of the most humiliating moment in my life, it was in ilorin and I must have lied to my dad out of the fear of him finding out and beating the Jesus out of me, but anyway he did find I lied and he flogged me right in front of the class embarassed I just felt the ground should open up and swallow me.

Apart from my dad, I also lived with my Sister in Lagos and her treatment was just a systematic abuse, and one of the many reasons we just don't get along. I was taken from a science school in Lokoja and thrown into a public school in Lagos, while her own kids attended Federal Government Colleges.  Then there's the subtle mental and physiological abuses like she buys the best of the best for her kids, and I have to make do with something that stands out that I am different.

Take one of these for instance, I was in Morocco Comprehensive High School in Jibowu, and when I finished, I have to trek all the way to Mushin to go and give a helping hand at the shop, there is little or not time to read, and going to her shop after school is mandatory as I am not allowed to go home in shomolu (Which is just about 15 mins walk away) but go all the way to mushin. The had tremendous impact on my ability as a student, but somehow some way I managed to pull it through.  On comparison, when her kids finish from school, they get picked up and dropped at home where they can study etc. Oh and when we close for the day at mushin, I will have to carry all the cooking for the family on my head and walk back to Shomolu, while she takes a bus most times. I know this is hard for most to see as the truth, but I really have nothing to lie about.

There have been times I get fed up with how I am treated at my sister and I do rebel. So what will be the punishment? I am denied food for a week. No joke. I will not go to the shop and she will not give me pocket money either, it was painful back then and still painful right now as I am typing it. But yeah, it is wrong and very wrong.   .      .       .       .  

More to come.

your story is heart touching, hum hum parents were so wrong back then, I remember when I had to go and stay in my uncle house, he has a wife & 3 grown up kids, but I found out cruel that I'm always the one to take care of the home and cleaning the dishes and rest rooms, my uncle wife was so cruel with me to the extent that she will have to wake up me up late at night to come and clean dishes or sweep her room !whereas her kids are busy sleeping and they were so lazy, but i finally made me way outta there, but it wasn't easy for me as a kid grewing up .

chika98:

You can never relate to people who whooped and did things to you. Children will be children and they ought to be left
alone to do just that disciplined but not overt.  Mischievous ones such as myself got beat more by other people than my own ma. I remember one time
I climbed over the fence to go and "pluck" paw paw at the neighbors house. She caught me red handed. Left the other folks but
gave me the beating of my life! Gave me the broken cane to go and put under my bed so that as to remember when I went to go and
steal. She's our family friend o. My family sure had a word with her afterwards and I loathe her till date.

exactly !! I now find it so difficult to associate or relate with many of my family members who got my arse whooped back then, and the problem is that they beat you up for silly things and they won't even allow you to defend your self by trying to make them understand why a certain occurs !!
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by madchen(f): 9:49am On Sep 22, 2010
oyinda.:

OMG!!!!!! Are you joking? Please tell me you are. 'decent kids'? What's the definition`?
Re: Things Our Parents/guardians/elders Did That Was Wrong Back Then by snthesis(m): 9:51am On Sep 22, 2010
ElRazur:

Hey, I am not trying to single you out, but as a few pointed already, this is one of the problems with this style of upbringing the some of us have expressed - It seem to goes on. I mean, you wanted to inflict some of yours probably as a result of what you experienced.
d "inflict" in dis case relates to d whooping i got from "seniors" in d boarding house- i.e being used as a punching bag, my set ws in d era of "streetfighter", so d seniors dey use Juniors 4thier combo moves, but by d time we ourselves became Seniors we cudnt even touch junior students.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

All Elections In Nigeria Were Rigged Since 1960 - Jonathan / #ThingsILongThroatFor Now Trending On Twitter / Car Crash: Akpabio Flown Abroad For Treatment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 159
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.