Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,662 members, 7,955,393 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 03:01 AM

Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? - Education (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? (36903 Views)

Imo, Anambra And Delta leads in students studying Engineering, Medicine and Law / Do You have any Regrets Studying Engineering? / Top 10 Universities To Study Engineering In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by Nobody: 9:33pm On Apr 17, 2019
erico2k2:

Bro seriously, without prejudice mention two things that is outdated and Old that they Lecturers are teaching right now in the Engineering Dept of our Uni and Poly please and let us take it from there.
thanks, l did plasticity l and plasticity ll in my 400 and 500 level respectively. The handout was a copy paste from a textbok written in 1965. Filled with numerous calculations. There is almost nothing to understand or apply. It was pure mathematics. So we read to ONLY to pass exams. And after writing the exam. you forget everything.

I honestly dont know how anyone can justify these evil system. But after creating this thread i realized most people are only interested in getting good grades, find job and get the "engr" title without being able to do anything

Just as l submitted the atticle yesterday a friend of mine got certified by COREN as a mechanical engineer, this dude have only worked in bank since he graduated oooo. So therefore i see no reason to continue to argue. This thread have made me see how others think and its quite enlightening

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by erico2k2(m): 9:56pm On Apr 17, 2019
Dothraki:
thanks, l did plasticity l and plasticity ll in my 400 and 500 level respectively. The handout was a copy paste from a textbok written in 1965. Filled with numerous calculations. There is almost nothing to understand or apply. It was pure mathematics. So we read to ONLY to pass exams. And after writing the exam. you forget everything.

I honestly dont know how anyone can justify these evil system. But after creating this thread i realized most people are only interested in getting good grades, find job and get the "engr" title without being able to do anything

Just as l submitted the atticle yesterday a friend of mine got certified by coren as a mechanical engineer, this dude have onlh worked in back since he graduated oooo. So therefore i see no reason to continue to argue. This thread have made me see how others think and its quite enlightening
I got my 1st Degree in Mech Engin from ESUTH, then came to London to do the masters, and also a 3rd Degree. I can categorically tell you that some of the materials they use in Nigeria to teach are even newer than the ones here in the UK, you are talking 1960, some of the materials we used are the original manuscript by Sir Isaac Newton himself when we branched a wee bit into EE. Look like I stated earlier Engineering is more than a course, Teaching alone would not make you an Engineer you got to be a hands-on person hence there is an assessment at each stage in teh west not all exams.
I found it easy here cos of the harsh Environment we learn in Nigeria, The books I was reading here some are 100 years Old materials on them. The newer ones are online and available to even you in Nigeria however the ICT is the letdown.I made mention just now on here that if you are an Engineer in Nigeria you should be able to service your car if truly you have passion cos this are a basic hands-on skill, use of spanner and getting ready to get dirty. During my Uni days, I had a friend who was a mechanic, I always go to his workshop during Holidays and the almighty strike periods cos I loved the smell of grease and Oils grin grin grin. The main problem we have is an Internship. the only Discipline we have that now is in the finance sector, the banking sector has Graduate trainee entrance, I wish we have more of that in all sectors. This is what the west do

PS: I just realised you copied and paste your initial POST(SAD as well)clear reflection of your education!

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by micxwell(m): 3:18pm On Apr 18, 2019
freemanbubble:

Bros i pity you. Nor try am. Nor make that move
Bros am a computer science student in Uniben
Na everyday i take dey dull the more because we are subjected to old programming language such as Pascal and Fortran

My Pascal D
Fortran D
Assembly language F

Bros i don tire
And the worse part be say we go still dey do many maths

No practical

But last las sha i know say i go dey alright because nor be only school person fit take succeed for life
Agreed the whole system is flawed bro. But be that as it may, you owe it to yourself to develop yourself. I am a living testimony. It's very tough but it pays. Having to study and make yourself into what businesses will pay for.
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by Nobody: 9:17pm On Apr 18, 2019
erico2k2:

Engineer frm PTI abi xtreem
LoL, abeg which school u go sef, I can see u are very pained.
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by erico2k2(m): 10:20pm On Apr 18, 2019
charliboy654:

LoL, abeg which school u go sef, I can see u are very pained.
Esuth in Enugu state in Nigeria for 1st Degree and the University of Greenwich for my Masters as U can see, we far apart in class!
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by Nobody: 11:07pm On Apr 18, 2019
erico2k2:

Esuth in Enugu state in Nigeria for 1st Degree and the University of Greenwich for my Masters as U can see, we far apart in class!
And u think esuth can be compared to PTI, guy u might senior me in age but u are still very childish, am currently serving and have other plans too including masters, you are not the first nor will u be the last person to do masters outside Nigeria. the fact that u have gone for ur master doesn't mean shît to me or anybody. U are still a learner, come lemme school you boy.

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by erico2k2(m): 11:34pm On Apr 18, 2019
charliboy654:

And u think esuth can be compared to PTI, guy u might senior me in age but u are still very childish, am currently serving and have other plans too including masters, you are not the first nor will u be the last person to do masters outside Nigeria. the fact that u have gone for ur master doesn't mean shît to me or anybody. U are still a learner, come lemme school you boy.
ahaha A typical laxxxxy Youth.School you papa 1st cos frm where I'm standing, he invested in a coco yam head

Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by InansBobo(m): 10:53am On Apr 20, 2019
Dothraki:
Engineering undergraduates study old theories from Way past generation, that is of little relevance to modern engineering. The university system teach so many calculation, and almost nothing on how to apply these mathematics to solve real life problems.

Many of theories learned aren't useless jargon, since we arent taught how to praticalise most of those knowledge, 99.99% of all engineering graduate would have forgotten what they learned by the time they graduate.
We only remember what is useful to us, what help us get through, or things we do constantly. Everything else, our brain trashes it.

Its quiet disturbing Most of the engineering student only read to pass. Which makes one question, are we in school only to pass some paper? If so, modern technology would not have existed at all.
Our primary purpose of studying engineering is to apply scientific discoveries to solve practical problems in the society. But unfortunately the system only made us to study only for grade.
Without practicing what we learn our brain will eventually discard everything as useless

An average engineering graduate does not remember 90% of what he learned in five years, I tried to go through some of my jottings from 300l, i was suprised because it all seem strange to me.. i couldn't remember a thing from the calculations l did with my own hand. A friend of my who have have a very much good grade have the same experience.

Apart from the abstractions of studying engineering in nigeria, most of the curriculum is old, we spent so much time studying theories that should be thought as a mere history. No wonder there havent been any groundbreaking engineering achievement from Nigerian universities

Majority of the engineering jobs that involve applying engineering maneuver will be given to foreigners. Innoson motor employs foreigners to do All of its engineering design, our Nigerian graduate work as if they are
mere technician. Engineering graduate will never apply most of the theories they learn at school. lot of our graduate who are lucky to find job in engineering companies work as a maintenance engineer. Whenever they need new designs or innovation, they hire foreigners to do the job, this is quite sad in my opinion. They have made mockery of 5 years of lifes. Quite sad
All the electrical and civil engineers that I do see working in Nigeria here are all foreigners?
Well, for mechanical, I know the shortcomings are high still the engineers are still doing well just that not up to 50%
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by Nobody: 2:45pm On Apr 20, 2019
afonjabreed:
i think your purpose of creating this thread is to rant.
smh ,the guy you quoted is right ,polytechnics and colleges are the practical oriented institutions you can attend, ask a polytechnic student.
I'm a student of the Federal Polytechnic Ede ,I'm studying computer science,I'm in nd1 .I can tell you I understand if not all the most important part of programming in qbasic and HTML ,we still in the first semester and we already did a lot of assignments about programming ,and when I say a lot I mean writing programs to perform mathematical calculations such as permutation ,combinations,quadratic formula etc.
And getting good grades is good too,the problem is we focus too much on the questions like, how I'm going to get a job after school?,how will I be a able to sell my brain to get a fee that's not even worth it?,we need to change our perspectives about education ,we need to focus on what we can do to make life better.
my lecturer taught me a little part of Programming, I did the rest with help from YouTube videos and like minded friends ,you can't be spoonfed all the things you need to know..

even those Nigerians who travelled abroad to study and ended up with good grades what have they contributed to life?,what have they invented ?, Nigerians study study to get good grades,study to be an employer and not become an employee in the future peace
you talking about outdated stuffs ,well here in Federal polytechnic Ede we don't operate on outdated stuffs.
even if you were taught outdated stuffs ,don't you understand the concept of self study? f***ck I'm exhausted

#peace

You're just overreacting. Nothing happens in your Ede poly or any other polytechnic in Nigeria. I attended one of the acclaimed best and met others from other acclaimed best polytechnics too. I'm sure in your own school, you still write codes on paper. Even in UI, I learnt their engineering students write codes on paper. Many of your colleagues don't even have computer systems. Even if they do, they don't have data to download Bucky tutorials. If you understand the basics of programming in its entirety and you're honest with yourself, you'll agree you've been learning programming before resumption.

In reality, no meaningful practical happens in the polytechnic. In fact, more is done in our universities. I've been everywhere and I've seen everything. Many of the self acclaimed best polytechnics don't even have power supply to run practicals.

In essence, there are many factors to be considered. The blame isn't entirely on the students.
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by Nobody: 4:47pm On Apr 20, 2019
erico2k2:

I never said fault, I made mention of service.I said are you telling me you as an Elect Eng cannot change the OIl and Oil filter i n your car?
SO IF i THROW YOU A TORQUE WRENCH YOU won't EVEN KNOW HOW TO SET ONE.
Engineering is more than Education, it should be a passion, what I'm trying to say is this, you should even hand on B4 venturing into Engineering if not you are going to be a book Engineer.I can do basic wiring in my house and my car and in most machinery I work with, when it comes to those that need certification as per guarantee, I leave them ones to the pro.

Lol... I just have to tell you, you have a completely wrong orientation about engineering. You must really be impressed seeing an electrical engineer changing oil and its filter when in actually fact, he never learnt anything about it in any of his classes. Changing oil and oil filter doesn't make you close to an electrical engineer who cannot or chooses not to do so. It's not his work and doesn't make him less of an engineer. Of course, any inquisitive person can do it. That doesn't make the person an engineer either.

Let's be properly guided.
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by Nobody: 4:48pm On Apr 20, 2019
charliboy654:

Guy u just like argument, just shut up.

Lol... I swear.
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by frankosivue(m): 6:46pm On Apr 20, 2019
freemanbubble:

Bros i pity you. Nor try am. Nor make that move
Bros am a computer science student in Uniben
Na everyday i take dey dull the more because we are subjected to old programming language such as Pascal and Fortran

My Pascal D
Fortran D
Assembly language F

Bros i don tire
And the worse part be say we go still dey do many maths

No practical

But last las sha i know say i go dey alright because nor be only school person fit take succeed for life
lol. One of the reasons I avoided Unibest. But Futminna is great.
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by afonjabreed(m): 7:51pm On Apr 20, 2019
BananaTree:

You're just overreacting. Nothing happens in your Ede poly or any other polytechnic in Nigeria. I attended one of the acclaimed best and met others from other acclaimed best polytechnics too. I'm sure in your own school, you still write codes on paper. Even in UI, I learnt their engineering students write codes on paper. Many of your colleagues don't even have computer systems. Even if they do, they don't have data to download Bucky tutorials. If you understand the basics of programming in its entirety and you're honest with yourself, you'll agree you've been learning programming before resumption.

In reality, no meaningful practical happens in the polytechnic. In fact, more is done in our universities. I've been everywhere and I've seen everything. Many of the self acclaimed best polytechnics don't even have power supply to run practicals.

In essence, there are many factors to be considered. The blame isn't entirely on the students.
I agree with you, but talking about electricity Ede town in osun state uses up to 19hrs of electricity per day,and the polytechnic also uses generator that powers every building in the school,coupled with unlimited WiFi services at the rate of #1000 per month
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by erico2k2(m): 7:58pm On Apr 20, 2019
BananaTree:

Lol... I just have to tell you, you have a completely wrong orientation about engineering. You must really be impressed seeing an electrical engineer changing oil and its filter when in actually fact, he never learnt anything about it in any of his classes. Changing oil and oil filter doesn't make you close to an electrical engineer who cannot or chooses not to do so. It's not his work and doesn't make him less of an engineer. Of course, any inquisitive person can do it. That doesn't make the person an engineer either.

Your Orientation of Engineering in the Nigerian society today is a gross representation of what me and some other professionals are blasting about here,You lot seem to think Engineering borders withing going to school and earning a degree, absolute wrong and rubbish, Engineering is more than a course be it Mech or Elect or any sort at all, its more than Engineering,.It is classed amongst religion and a social skill which one has to have some basic skills in even before the unset of Education hence I was referring to a person claiming to be an Engineer who cant change the Oil in their car.if you follow the narrative very well you will realise that the image I was trying to create was not just changing Oil filter or doing any sort of work in their car or everyday life rather it is to be technical to some degree to even attempt to be an Engineer. A typical example is to have a deep phobia for blood and feel faintish at the sight of anything blood and yet wants to be a surgeon you get me?.
Let me also put it to you that the vast majority of fathers of Engineers never went to formal Universities or school, the vast majority of inventors where self-thought you want names?
SO my friend if at 100 level you cannot master the act of using a soldering Iron as an Elect elect student when a person still in SS2 can learn and master it then my friend your life is limited to basic employment or the lamentations of the Op is ur portion!
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by Nobody: 7:59pm On Apr 20, 2019
afonjabreed:
I agree with you, but talking about electricity Ede town in osun state uses up to 19hrs of electricity per day,and the polytechnic also uses generator that powers every building in the school,coupled with unlimited WiFi services at the rate of #1000 per month

Are you saying Ede poly runs 24 hrs power supply?
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by afonjabreed(m): 8:14pm On Apr 20, 2019
BananaTree:

Are you saying Ede poly runs 24 hrs power supply?
if not 24hrs ,I can proudly say 22hours
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by bkuranga(m): 10:39am On Apr 25, 2019
akaahs:

Sure, yeah

I checked for your contact in your profile but there's none. Maybe I can shoot you a mail? Or if you can say hi on Whatsapp. 07066336226.

I'm a prospective PGD student but I don't have any clue yet and I think I can do with asking you some questions.
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by Nobody: 1:39pm On May 09, 2019
ogashman:
Engineering in Nigeria is a big big scam.

I got discouraged at 300 level.... Same old theories, no new innovations. Incompetent lecturers who double as sadists.
sorry for disturbing your mention, what was the next step you took?

I mean did you apply for a new course
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by Queenara(f): 1:52pm On May 09, 2019
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by ogashman(m): 12:12pm On May 10, 2019
9PBLIVE:
sorry for disturbing your mention, what was the next step you took?

I mean did you apply for a new course

I didn't apply for a new course. I jus managed to finished up the engineering course.
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by Demmzy15(m): 12:26pm On Jun 13, 2019
Jokerman:

Hey I can teach you ANSYS software.... 50k per month
Can I get the software, how much?
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by Nobody: 3:24pm On Jun 14, 2019
BananaTree:

the guy is dumb as fvck, i am sure he cannot boast of 500k in his account, elon musk, Zuckerberg and bill gates have all questions the basis of modern education system.

He is plain stupid. Arguing with him is like explaining algebra to a monkey. It leads nowhere
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by Nobody: 3:24pm On Jun 14, 2019
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by jefff455: 11:43pm On Jun 30, 2019
Fhfg

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by na2016: 11:17am On Jul 06, 2019
CodeTemplar:
1. To start with, Engineering is largely design oriented and not building or development as people like to claim.

2. The Nigerian University system is set up to produce research focused or academic focused graduates and most practical Knowledge we ignorantly ask for from the university system is suppose to be acquired in polytechnics and Tech Colleges.

3. Your lecturers too were taught theories and don't expect them to teach you practicals even if they put in extra effort to get the practical knowledge they posses themselves.

4. the university isn't a place for practical focused skill acquisition. Polytechnics and technical Colleges are.

5. The average Nigerian is delusional and expects too be spoonfed with great ideas and their implementations. As engineers, they give you a knowledge of engineering principles and it is left for you to use your imagination to create things out of the principles you have learnt. In accounting, student are taught its principles and nobody takes them to a real life accounting dept to work, It is up to you to figure out what goes in where as you work with those principles.

Research focused doesn't mean u don't know the practical
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by nurex01(m): 3:52pm On Jul 20, 2019
Dothraki:
Engineering undergraduates study old theories from Way past generation, that is of little relevance to modern engineering. The university system teach so many calculation, and almost nothing on how to apply these mathematics to solve real life problems.

Many of theories learned aren't useless jargon, since we arent taught how to praticalise most of those knowledge, 99.99% of all engineering graduate would have forgotten what they learned by the time they graduate.
We only remember what is useful to us, what help us get through, or things we do constantly. Everything else, our brain trashes it.

Its quiet disturbing Most of the engineering student only read to pass. Which makes one question, are we in school only to pass some paper? If so, modern technology would not have existed at all.
Our primary purpose of studying engineering is to apply scientific discoveries to solve practical problems in the society. But unfortunately the system only made us to study only for grade.
Without practicing what we learn our brain will eventually discard everything as useless

An average engineering graduate does not remember 90% of what he learned in five years, I tried to go through some of my jottings from 300l, i was suprised because it all seem strange to me.. i couldn't remember a thing from the calculations l did with my own hand. A friend of my who have have a very much good grade have the same experience.

Apart from the abstractions of studying engineering in nigeria, most of the curriculum is old, we spent so much time studying theories that should be thought as a mere history. No wonder there havent been any groundbreaking engineering achievement from Nigerian universities

Majority of the engineering jobs that involve applying engineering maneuver will be given to foreigners. Innoson motor employs foreigners to do All of its engineering design, our Nigerian graduate work as if they are
mere technician. Engineering graduate will never apply most of the theories they learn at school. lot of our graduate who are lucky to find job in engineering companies work as a maintenance engineer. Whenever they need new designs or innovation, they hire foreigners to do the job, this is quite sad in my opinion. They have made mockery of 5 years of lifes. Quite sad
please, I don't mind if you can drop your digit. I want to contact You. Thanks
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by MoonWater: 11:58pm On Jul 20, 2019
Dothraki:

Just as l submitted the atticle yesterday a friend of mine got certified by coren as a mechanical engineer, this dude have onlh worked in back since he graduated oooo. So therefore i see no reason to continue to argue. This thread have made me see how others think and its quite enlightening
the bitter truth about the Nigerian education system at the tertiary level
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by erico2k2(m): 11:50pm On Aug 18, 2019
Dothraki:
the guy is dumb as fvck, i am sure he cannot boast of 500k in his account, elon musk, Zuckerberg and bill gates have all questions the basis of modern education system.

He is plain stupid. Arguing with him is like explaining algebra to a monkey. It leads nowhere
Coming from a person that uses NOKIA 3210
you kids ain't got a clue
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by Nobody: 12:38am On Aug 19, 2019
erico2k2:

Coming from a person that uses NOKIA 3210
you kids ain't got a clue
i live in my OWN house, you idiot

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by Nobody: 2:03am On Aug 19, 2019
BananaTree:

Are you trying to say that I'm wasting my time for applying to yabatech for computer science this year?
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by erico2k2(m): 8:32am On Aug 19, 2019
Dothraki:
i live in my OWN house, you idiot
Olodo, what has ur house got to do with this , re-read again,or did your NOKIA 3210 go off, let me also finish ur data

Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by erico2k2(m): 8:35am On Aug 19, 2019
wiconse:

Are you trying to say that I'm wasting my time for applying to yabatech for computer science this year?
No aspect of learning is a waste of time, the best courses to study are the ones you have passion for. DO NOT FORGET< EDUCATION DOES AND LEARNING DOES NOT END IN SCHOOLS!

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

The difference between 'Goodluck' and 'Good luck' / Landmark University In Pictures / Visa Denial: Canadian College Withholds Nigerian Applicant’s Fees (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.