Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,346 members, 7,819,232 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:06 PM

Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? - Education (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? (35626 Views)

Imo, Anambra And Delta leads in students studying Engineering, Medicine and Law / Do You have any Regrets Studying Engineering? / Top 10 Universities To Study Engineering In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by introvertme: 8:03pm On Apr 14, 2019
Neoteny:

I've always said it we're the only society that values paper over real skills and talent. Whatever your ability, if you don't possess some silly paper it's not valued.

Elon Musk was once asked what education requirements will assist one get a job in Tesla or Space X. Musk said he didn't care about degrees and stuff, only what you can do.

I agree for professional jobs like medicine and pharmacy and piloting certifications matter, but not so much for engineering and programming and graphics design and drawing and management etc.

The problem in Nigeria is, a dunderhead who went through some of our many dubious colleges and gets a 2.1 will be considered more than a 2.2 or 3rd class who's quite talented in the position. They'll promptly hire the blockhead 2.1 who'll proceed to accomplish nothing.

I myself have a third class because of emotional trauma of losing some people during college, not proud of it but I'm quite pleased with my versatility and accomplishments and I'm currently earning just shy of 700k per month (I've a promotion due next month) and I'm planning to retire into private venture to commercially exploit my natural and acquired skills and talents.

what do you do?
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by Nobody: 8:16pm On Apr 14, 2019
Niyi74:

Thank you for sharing this.

Fresh Engineering graduates from Nigerian Universities going from classroom straight to factory may only be useful for technical reporting. Smart ones can be trained as operators or maintenance technician on short term. For long term engineering practice however, they have to be shipped abroad to unlearn, relearn and re-certify to meet up with global best practices.

COREN is the primal enemy of Engineering in Nigeria. They are more interested in titles and professional dues than the profession itself. Before you can be called a Doctor or Lawyer, you must pass through medical school or law school respectively, where you will learn your craft and rudiments of professional practice in your field. Mediocrity isn't tolerated. But what's the case in Engineering in Nigeria? You'll be rolled out straight from University to work place, inadequately prepared. There was a time some great thinkers came up with the idea of SITSIE (Supervised Industrial Training Scheme in Engineering). SISTIE if implemented will make it mandatory for all Engineering graduates (after bagging HND/B.Sc/B.Eng/B.Tech) to undergo mandatory 2years tutelage (like law school) in the industry under registered professional engineers. They'll only be able to go for NYSC after completing SITSIE and becoming junior professional Engineers (Registered with practice license). The idea was never implemented and we are now wondering why we are here. COREN is not sincere. They know what the issues are but they are unwilling and too weak to push for legislations that will address the issues. Most of those who lead COREN today are not passionate Engineers. They don't love the profession for what it is. They only love it for what they can benefit from it.
Not just engineering but other courses aside medicine and law. A professor suggested similar thing you said about internship but many Nigerians criticized him.
See link https://www.nairaland.com/4498078/minister-proposes-extra-one-yearor more info
https://www.nairaland.com/4494723/ministry-education-considering-adding-extra
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by mindtricks: 8:21pm On Apr 14, 2019
wirinet:

Still the same excuses. How is the government making it hard for engineering to thrive? You mean, you design and engineering solution to one of the numerous engineering challenge we have in Nigeria and the government banned you?
I had a friend who dropped out of year one from elect/elect department in Ife and started building LED signage. He took his product to Alaba to demonstrate to guys selling such imported items. He started getting orders. I borrowed him money to start business. He did very well and now he is out of the country. This was far back in early 2000s, when Internet was still a novelty in Nigeria.
There are many companies with numerous engineering challenges and nobody to solve them. They have to import engineers from outside Nigeria to help repair and service their industrial equipments.
Quite inspiring.
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by Greatihex(m): 8:28pm On Apr 14, 2019
Dothraki:
Engineering undergraduates study old theories from Way past generation, that is of little relevance to modern engineering. The university system teach so many calculation, and almost nothing on how to apply these mathematics to solve real life problems.

Many of theories learned aren't useless jargon, since we arent taught how to praticalise most of those knowledge, 99.99% of all engineering graduate would have forgotten what they learned by the time they graduate.
We only remember what is useful to us, what help us get through, or things we do constantly. Everything else, our brain trashes it.

Its quiet disturbing Most of the engineering student only read to pass. Which makes one question, are we in school only to pass some paper? If so, modern technology would not have existed at all.
Our primary purpose of studying engineering is to apply scientific discoveries to solve practical problems in the society. But unfortunately the system only made us to study only for grade.
Without practicing what we learn our brain will eventually discard everything as useless

An average engineering graduate does not remember 90% of what he learned in five years, I tried to go through some of my jottings from 300l, i was suprised because it all seem strange to me.. i couldn't remember a thing from the calculations l did with my own hand. A friend of my who have have a very much good grade have the same experience.

Apart from the abstractions of studying engineering in nigeria, most of the curriculum is old, we spent so much time studying theories that should be thought as a mere history. No wonder there havent been any groundbreaking engineering achievement from Nigerian universities

Majority of the engineering jobs that involve applying engineering maneuver will be given to foreigners. Innoson motor employs foreigners to do All of its engineering design, our Nigerian graduate work as if they are
mere technician. Engineering graduate will never apply most of the theories they learn at school. lot of our graduate who are lucky to find job in engineering companies work as a maintenance engineer. Whenever they need new designs or innovation, they hire foreigners to do the job, this is quite sad in my opinion. They have made mockery of 5 years of lifes. Quite sad
better scam. That is why i swore not to school in Nigeria again
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by Greenishland(f): 8:46pm On Apr 14, 2019
I am an Engineer. I studied in Nigeria as well. What I realize is that Nigerians don't like using their brains to think technically.

If you check well, even Nigerians who studied Engineering abroad are the same as the ones who studied at home. They either become musicians or entrepreneurs. I believe we are being taught the same thing as the whites.

For instance, we were all taught acceleration due to gravity right from secondary school, laws of motion, we solved countless number of equations on bearings, did a lot of map readings, learnt about weightlessness , streamlining, etc. plus every single thing learned in higher institution. My brother, what more do you need to learn in order to manufacture an air plane?

Air plane is even too much. Take washing machine as another example. Science students were taught circular motions in rev/min, you know the function of timed circuits and their principle of operations, sensors etc. Do you know that the white guy combined this knowledge to design this machine?

Nigerians would rather wait for you to come and announce that the topic for today is how to manufacture an aeroplane...

2 Likes

Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by erico2k2(m): 9:04pm On Apr 14, 2019
Dothraki:
Engineering undergraduates study old theories from Way past generation, that is of little relevance to modern engineering. The university system teach so many calculation, and almost nothing on how to apply these mathematics to solve real life problems.

Many of theories learned aren't useless jargon, since we arent taught how to praticalise most of those knowledge, 99.99% of all engineering graduate would have forgotten what they learned by the time they graduate.
We only remember what is useful to us, what help us get through, or things we do constantly. Everything else, our brain trashes it.

Its quiet disturbing Most of the engineering student only read to pass. Which makes one question, are we in school only to pass some paper? If so, modern technology would not have existed at all.
Our primary purpose of studying engineering is to apply scientific discoveries to solve practical problems in the society. But unfortunately the system only made us to study only for grade.
Without practicing what we learn our brain will eventually discard everything as useless

An average engineering graduate does not remember 90% of what he learned in five years, I tried to go through some of my jottings from 300l, i was suprised because it all seem strange to me.. i couldn't remember a thing from the calculations l did with my own hand. A friend of my who have have a very much good grade have the same experience.

Apart from the abstractions of studying engineering in nigeria, most of the curriculum is old, we spent so much time studying theories that should be thought as a mere history. No wonder there havent been any groundbreaking engineering achievement from Nigerian universities

Majority of the engineering jobs that involve applying engineering maneuver will be given to foreigners. Innoson motor employs foreigners to do All of its engineering design, our Nigerian graduate work as if they are
mere technician. Engineering graduate will never apply most of the theories they learn at school. lot of our graduate who are lucky to find job in engineering companies work as a maintenance engineer. Whenever they need new designs or innovation, they hire foreigners to do the job, this is quite sad in my opinion. They have made mockery of 5 years of lifes. Quite sad
for a person who did mechanical Engineering in Nigeria and also in the UK my take
some of us do not really know what it takes to be an Engineer, it is way more than Education. You have to get specific skills b4 taking the Engineering course. Let me elaborate
O know some of my mates then in the same class who do not know when to use a socket or a flat spanner, some can't even change a car's spare tyre.
Some just study Engineering for the name with no passion.
If you look closely the said theories are what is used in the west as we speak,
DO you remember the Archimedes principles? I use it still at work as I'm a fluid Engineer who maintains anything powered by hydraulics from doors to cranes. The laws of gravity is used every day, motion n friction etc are still used, what theory or Law do you think has expired?
for you to be an Engineer, you need to be technical, passionate and practical, you got to look beyond being employed and be your own boss, if you don't have start-up capital then that should be what you are working towards at any capacity.
As an Engineer, you should always seek to solve today's problem with Engineering.
You can learn more outside of University ie, there are loads of places you can volunteer to work for free and gain skills and knowledge.
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by erico2k2(m): 9:09pm On Apr 14, 2019
Greenishland:
I am an Engineer. I studied in Nigeria as well. What I realize is that Nigerians don't like using their brains to think technically.

If you check well, even Nigerians who studied Engineering abroad are the same as the ones who studied at home. They either become musicians or entrepreneurs. I believe we are being taught the same thing as the whites.

For instance, we were all taught acceleration due to gravity right from secondary school, laws of motion, we solved countless number of equations on bearings, did a lot of map readings, learnt about weightlessness , streamlining, etc. plus every single thing learned in higher institution. My brother, what more do you need to learn in order to manufacture an air plane?

Air plane is even too much. Take washing machine as another example. Science students were taught circular motions in rev/min, you know the function of timed circuits and their principle of operations, sensors etc. Do you know that the white guy combined this knowledge to design this machine?

Nigerians would rather wait for you to come and announce that the topic for today is how to manufacture an aeroplane...
I agree with you 110%
Imagine a whole Engineer in Nigeria will take their car for Oil and filter change when it is not mandatory to do so like in the west, Some cannot even set a torque wrench as we speak

2 Likes

Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by akaahs(m): 9:40pm On Apr 14, 2019
eminemkayc:
For someone who has put in over fifteen years practicing core engineering design and applied mathematical principles in solving a vast array of structural statics, dynamics ,impusive and geotechnic engineering problems, I completely disagree with the notion as presented in the opening remarks. I was trained in nigeria and Iv applied all I was taught as an undergraduate in the design of bridges, water retaining structures, slope stabilization, understanding of soil consolidation beneath foundations of high rise structures, modelling of finite elements in the undstanding of soil particle and pile interactions in STAAD spring selections etc iv used newton's finite divided difference methods in topographic survey to predict ground elevation on non-chainage points where i was to situate and design foundations for piperacks for proper levelling, iv thoroghly employed calculus in the calulation and simulation of irregular waves and current loads on shore protection and berthing structures by numerical idealization, applied lagrange interpolation polynomial methods in the design of Larssen sheet piles in order to determine the min depth of pile penetration for stability beneath proposed dredged points, applied bernouli's equations severally and various expressions for head losses in steady state pipeline flow on projects to determine pressure drops and pump sizing requirements, reynold's number for hydrocarbon fluid composition etc. The list is ENDLESS...I was trained in nigeria and by nigerian lecturers and there are brilliant nigerians trained in nigeria as well. What is lacking is the exposure and the inability of most lecturers to solve practical problems on one hand and bridge this glaring gap during lectures making it difficult for the students to see a correlation. But these are the same mathematical and engineering principles the russians and asians used and are using in the design of complicated weapon systems. The Iranians are following suit as iv interfaced with a number of them on projects. Fields such as partial differential equations and ordinary differential equations are EXTENSIVELY deployed in structural and mechanical engineering in the explanation of the behavior of sytems under static or dynamic.loading. flow tru soils, one dimensional consolidation and settlement prediction of soil strata, deflection of structural elements, buckling analysis and determination of effective lengths in steel designs etc are all mathematical and highly applicable in the field of engineering.
Weldon sir. From ur contribution on the subject matter, one can deduce that u re a civil engineer. I ll need help from you sir. I'm a pgd student and I intend to write my final year project on design of a small earth dam. Please, are u willing to help?

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by eminemkayc: 10:23pm On Apr 14, 2019
akaahs:

Weldon sir. From ur contribution on the subject matter, one can deduce that u re a civil engineer. I ll need help from you sir. I'm a pgd student and I intend to write my final year project on design of a small earth dam. Please, are u willing to help?
In whatever way I can, I would... you can always write me an email for technical support and documentation where necessary..
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by DeejaywonDJ1(m): 10:23pm On Apr 14, 2019
To be candid, non of you ever try to point to the problem or try to solve it only few did point to, and most of you call yourself a brilliant engineer but full time ignorant.
The major problems are the environment(Government), quality of education, quality of professionals in education. We're really far behind in all ramification. Let's take a critical look at all countries you've all mentioned above, starting from their system of education. Government played the key role in their education development, without them education will be completely useless like Nigeria. Readup everything about education of those top engineering countries and come back with concrete solutions not lame arguments. Everything about education depend solemnly on government 100%, Nigerians are not lazy only some are. Imagine if government did not provide those education structure for those great scientists and engineers.
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by akaahs(m): 10:25pm On Apr 14, 2019
wanger50:
This is what get me mad with our Nigerian "Engineers". We are trained to design:That's there motto.So what are you designing?Of all the engineering products I have around me and uses everyday,I can't find any designed by our Nigerian Engineers so why keep wasting money and time training them?I know what will happen if our roadside mechanics go on strike for a day even as I'm very sure the nation won't feel any pinch if our Engineers refuses to work for a year;that is if they have any work that they do at all
So for ur mind u said something tangible abi?? So the road u plight everyday was designed by a doctor or the storey building u use was designed by lawyer abi?. See ehhhhh even the GP tank in ur house must be designed to serve you effectively. Don't come here and show ur ignorance ok

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by akaahs(m): 10:30pm On Apr 14, 2019
eminemkayc:

In whatever way I can, I would... you can always write me an email for technical support and documentation where necessary..
Please, can I get ur email? ?
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by poseidon12: 10:31pm On Apr 14, 2019
I don't think there is any University in Nigeria that has the facility and qualified teaching staff to offer engineering programs. If the appropriate accrediting agencies from the US or Western Europe come over here to assess our engineering programs, I don't think any Nigerian university will pass.
It costs a lot of money to equip an engineering department. And you need enough experienced, qualified teaching staff.
Even in the US, it is only the reputable Universities that offer engineering programs.
I would not advise any young man or woman to waste their time studying engineering in Nigeria.
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by Bishopking: 11:04pm On Apr 14, 2019
A lot of black people like to 'build" already built house.
Europe is developed...same for most parts of the world.
Let Nigerians develop Nigeria using known and yet to be discovered engineering principles.
Engineering laws do not expire. Application requires great intelligence and brain power.
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by spacepappy: 11:13pm On Apr 14, 2019
hischoice:
I hate to spoil your mojo but engineering curriculum is same world-wide.

Three, four or five years of university engineering study at undergraduate level is built on the studies of heat transfer and thermodynamics. Every other subject is a derivative of those.

Where the problem lies in Nigeria's specific case are the embedded silly art subjects like Use of English and Philosophy of God's existence (jokes on COREN).

What could have been used in keeping the lads more in Thermo and Engineering Analysis classes, they spend with children of Karl Marx.

And by the way, you will never make sense of engineering until you graduate and start practicing... And that applies to everyone, irrespective of where you studied.

So my take is for the curriculum to be re-jigged to allow
more study of core engineering pricincples. They are theories. Yes, they are supposed to be so. Get grounded in the theories of Lagrange and Echelons, you will find them handy if you ever find yourself in a career involving engineering simulations.

I'm in love with your comment, exactly what everyone fails to understand in this country, as a matter of fact, when you find yourself studying abroad, I bet you that there will be more theories that would be thought in class. yes, at undergraduate level as an engineering student or as a fresh graduate you are almost a novice in the field, hence, it is required for one to have a practical experience in related field and been subjected to an exam and projects report before one can be a registered engineer. permit me to use Civil Engineering as a case study, I can tell you that there is no way one will be practicing this discipline without understanding its rudiment, while designing a structure, then you would realised that all that you have learnt in school was never a waste.
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by spacepappy: 11:17pm On Apr 14, 2019
madridsta007:

Studying in Nigeria and completely relying on your lecturers, laboratories, etc, is deluding yourself.
Going outside the box in every course is the way to go.
I know graduates of Engineering in Nigeria who are currently working at NASA, Washington D.C. Two brothers from a University in Northern Nigeria.
Anywhere in the world, if you ONLY rely on what you are being taught, you'll probably end up being mediocre. The world is fiercely competitive. If you go outside the box, you wouldn't. The average Nigerian student is extremely lazy. He/she goes on the internet to chat and engage in other frivolities. It is the same internet that gives the hard-working ambitious student, Edx and Coursera free courses, which this hard-working student takes and improves his knowledge of data science and analysis to complement the theories he learns in school.

The ambitious student does not have two heads. The lazy student easily latches onto an excuse, such as describing his/her course of study in Nigeria as a "scam". No sir/ma. It isn't. You are the lazy, scamming student.
It is up to you.
God bless you for this comment. it's just like blaming one's poor parent for not making it in life.

2 Likes

Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by wanger50(m): 11:38pm On Apr 14, 2019
akaahs:

So for ur mind u said something tangible abi?? So the road u plight everyday was designed by a doctor or the storey building u use was designed by lawyer abi?. See ehhhhh even the GP tank in ur house must be designed to serve you effectively. Don't come here and show ur ignorance ok
The road being built very close to my house here was designed and is being built by some two Chinese guys working for a Chinese company called CCECC.The most embarrassing thing is the road isn't even on challenging terrain yet Chinese have to be imported to come do it.It's the Obudu to Vandeikya road.I doubt if my GP tank was designed by any Nigerian Engineer since I saw a similar product in Kenya
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by DeejaywonDJ1(m): 11:42pm On Apr 14, 2019
poseidon12:
I don't think there is any University in Nigeria that has the facility and qualified teaching staff to offer engineering programs. If the appropriate accrediting agencies from the US or Western Europe come over here to assess our engineering programs, I don't think any Nigerian university will pass.
It costs a lot of money to equip an engineering department. And you need enough experienced, qualified teaching staff.
Even in the US, it is only the reputable Universities that offer engineering programs.
I would not advise any young man or woman to waste their time studying engineering in Nigeria.
Exactly sir, You seems to be the only one that understands the whole scenerio better, they've been spewing gibberish since calling each harsh names, saying some people are lazy etc. Even South Africa & Egypt produce better Engineers becos they have the capacity.But our people won't understand they'll expect ill-equiped environment, student & Teachers to perform magic
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by Nobody: 11:59pm On Apr 14, 2019
This is very true.
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by spacepappy: 11:59pm On Apr 14, 2019
SIRTee15:

It's like u giving excuse for Mediocrity.....
I'm not sure ur write up apply to engineering students abroad....
There is something called application of knowledge and this is the key to innovation and research........
The above is where nigerian universities are failing....
Medical schools don't just teach theory but lay extreme emphasis on knowledge application....
If a student doctor fails the clinical exam, he's repeating the whole exam, irrespective of his score in theory even if it's 100%....
That's why nigerian doctors can function n adapt easily when they practice abroad....
Why can't we apply same principle to engineering course....
In fact m, all othet programs in our university....
I remember, I once asked a 500L final year agriculture economics student what she knows about commodity trading....
She had no idea, told me that will be their last topic in the semester!!!!
She didn't even know the function of the commodity market.....
I met a 400L microbiology student who had never looked inside a microscope.....
Abstract learning is killing us.....
And if we talk am now, some will say Nigerians are smart, therefore they don't need practical....

Till the end of time, theory will remain the basis of engineering. perhaps, we are mistaking engineering for technology. Engineering still remain the knowledge of mathematical and natural science gained through study, experience and practice. While, technology has to do with build, assemblage, production etc. According to NSE, there is a difference between an engineer and a technologist and definitely a technician. Mind you, I'm not celebrating mediocrity in Nigeria, but comparing medical students to engineering's is way off the book. A medical student requires an examination shortly after graduation to become a medical doctor while an engineer needed at least four (4) years of related experience coupled with a minimum of two (2) projects report designed/supervised by him/her to a completion stage in which he/she would have garnered enough experience before been certified, hence, been registered as an engineer. Following all these rigorous exercises many would have changed career, then start lamenting Nigeria system failed them as to become an engineer. I stand to be corrected, taking civil engineering as a case study, there's no way one would designed a structure without a theoretical background even with the use a software.
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by DeejaywonDJ1(m): 12:09am On Apr 15, 2019
What will failedto understand is that their are some factors that influence Engineering education:
1. Environment.
2. Quality of your Elementary & High school Education.
3. Passion.
4. Quality Teaching materials and Facilities.
5. Quality of teachers at all level of your education.
6. Funding.
The only one will possess is passion, we lack the rest. So tell me how you do want those students to be successful when they lack everything important in acquiring engineering knowledge. MIT research gran for one year is 10times more than all Nigeria Universities combine not to talk of their annual budget which is more than our annual budget for all level of our Education. And you're here saying rubbish. What will if those countries you all travel to is being run like Nigeria?. Shior, Yeye people trying hard to sound intelligent and enlightened. You should all try and read all those country education system.
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by spacepappy: 12:26am On Apr 15, 2019
Maj196:
I studied civil engineering and i lost the zeal when i got to 200L... The only time i enjoyed d course was during my IT in Julius Berger. Now am fully into computer programming and am loving it cheesy
I'm unfaze with this comment, I know a people that doesn't know how to take a moment at 500 level. Civil engineering will definitely look like puzzle to them, why blame the system on that?
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by spacepappy: 12:37am On Apr 15, 2019
RealBadBoy:

U are the scam ursef & u are not a civil engineer. CIVIL engineering principles taught in Nigeria are same everywhere in the world. If u claim u are a civil engineer can u state first principle in design? Of course u can't, because u were flexing in school. Better go back and learn.. u are a lazy Nigerian. Engineer is nt road mechanic or brick layer oga.. u need those theories u
are taught..... Alot of it
Don't mind the guy/lady bro. It's not like we have a Nigerian code for design. I bet the dude didn't even know we use British Standard/Euro code for our design and some of our engineers do use the American standard for comparison, which is the same all of over Europe and America. I bet the dude can't even design a simply supported beam or a one-way slab.
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by emere007(m): 12:37am On Apr 15, 2019
CodeTemplar:
I am not a Buhari supporter or party person even. I spoke the truth and I know it.
Engr isn't about cramming how a particular technology works but understanding the principles of engineering and using them endlessly.
Can you imagine what life would be like if your lecturers decide to give you limited practical examples in a world of plenty possibilities?

sorry for replying your comments and placing you together with these Buharists who've got their heads stuck in the veggie's dung hole. Truly sorry for that.

Well like you clearly opined, Engineering is not about cramming (just like the OP stated in his submission), it is about creativity and using theories and academic postulations to treat real life problems. From our conjectures, it is obvious that this is lacking in the Nigerian context, which again the OP was trying to point out.

Nigeria is never going to get it right until we kill the mediocrity that has pervaded every sector of our lives. Imagine having quota system as a criteria to select the next egg heads that will run politics and the economy. Affirmative action has run its course, and many countries are doing away with it and instead enthroning meritocracy. Sadly when you have a deficient President who comes from a backward region running the affairs, it is very clear that mediocrity and impunity will continue to be the order of the day.
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by obailala(m): 1:25am On Apr 15, 2019
ojay36:

You currently work in the UK then? I'm a 3rd year elect elect student and I'm thinking of masters abroad where do you think is the preferred destination money wise..
From the current trend of things, I think it would be best if you focus your attention in Canada or even Australia for any further studies. The UK currently doesn't give you any opportunity to search for a job after you're done with your masters because they no longer grant the post study visas.
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by StackNerd: 4:28am On Apr 15, 2019
Neoteny:
Our curriculum on many disciplines are a disgrace. Engineering students are taught pre-industrialization mechanics, electrical students are taught Faraday-level basics and electronics majors are a joke.

Our tutors are unambitious, uninspired, talentless lemmings.

The worst is computer engineering. They teach Cobol and Fortran endlessly, and almost none of the modern OOP languages (if they try it's just Java and C++). They don't do AI or ML or anything remotely modern.

Computer labs are stocked with legacy equipment.

And i also wonder why examination bodies like Jamb disallow calculators. I don't imagine anyone will encounter a real-world situation where they don't have access to calculators and other devices designed explicitly to make things easier and more accurate.

Useless and pompous PhDs and Professors who don't discover, invent, innovate or even improve. They're not abreast with modern trends, once they collect their doctorates and whatnot they're accomplished, deliberately dressing and wearing 1970s hairstyle because they think it somehow projects knowledge.

Imagine so-called IT experts calling IT "ICT", when no one else does that. Information and communication have been merged, as one without the other is meaningless. You communicate information, don't you? So to the world it's plain "IT", but to our local dinosaurs it's still "ICT". That shows their being behind the times.

You go to our "ICT" labs and all you'll see are old desktops and LaserJets. No robotics, no arduinos, no breadboards nothing.

Our education system is terrible. Cavemen from the Paleolithic can do much better

Great Answer!. Fortran is still in use tho, even in ML/AI' (side question: numpy library used in python was developed in what language?), . The whole point is to learn the idea/concept of programming, once you get the idea you can learn any other language easily
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by StackNerd: 4:40am On Apr 15, 2019
udemzyudex:

Lol, I have met a lot of computer engineers who could not fix simple mother issues and I begin to wonder what they are being taught at the university.

Well, the reason why most organisations go for Indians and others is because we do a lot of trial and error in Nigeria, take our mechanics for example, in fact they will end up causing more damage to your car.

I learnt computer engineering in Nigeria and I can tell you that most of the jobs were trial and error.

After I finish learning, I had to learn more and guess who I went to? The Indians.
They will teach you the theory and practicals, they will teach you the right way of doing things.

I can tell you that I'm 100% better than before in advance Iaptop chip level repair, I remember asking one of my seniors back then some questions and he was like undecided I was just laughing.
The world is evolving and technology is evolving but Nigeria is still stagnant.
Fixing motherboard issue is fine, but that's one of the least of the things you should know as a computer engineer, because it is not taught in college, mostly by just watching a YouTube video you should be able to know that, as A computer engineer majorly focusing on comp/arch and systems,. You should know chip design(SOCs), FPGAs, Microcontrollers, Cache Design, Memory design, Tools such as Xillinx, Vivado, Atmel Studio and be solid in Languages like Verilog, VHDL, Embedded C, MATLAB, Assembly Language and know something about Digital signal processing, if you graduate as a computer engineer you are not at least solid in 30 percent of this things . Hmmmm . Its like wasted time.

2 Likes

Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by Neoteny(m): 7:22am On Apr 15, 2019
StackNerd:

Great Answer!. Fortran is still in use tho, even in ML/AI' (side question: numpy library used in python was developed in what language?), . The whole point is to learn the idea/concept of programming, once you get the idea you can learn any other language easily

NumPy is developed in C and Python, I don't get your point.

The foundation of AI, that is simulation of biological neural networks or let's just call it cognitive intelligence, is more algorithmic than numerical. Speech synthesis, computer vision etc is not deterministic in a broad sense, so numerical functions are not always the core of it. Sure, ML is mostly a statistical system, but i bet you 80% of ML/AI development is done with Python largely because Python is procedural.

For the introduction to the idea or baby steps of programming, it used to be BASIC, i mean it kinda says so in the name (yeah yeah Basic All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code ikr).

I don't think using dated and largely archaic languages whose structure and philosophy are mostly outdated is tge appropriate way for beginners to learn programming. C# and Swift are kind of easy, as is Go and Kotlin and Delphi and Python itself, and they're more modern.
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by DeejaywonDJ1(m): 7:46am On Apr 15, 2019
Everybody is just trying to sound intelligent but are they? How successful are those who are trying to defend our rotten education system? Have they in anyway profer solution to those point OP raise? What is their contribution to their field of study aside their humorous certificate. And some even said we shouldn't rely on government, what an absurd and an unintelligent submission. If you don't know what to say or how to solve problem confronting engineering in nigeria just keep quiet.
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by DeejaywonDJ1(m): 7:54am On Apr 15, 2019
Why Nigeria is not a destination for International students in science related courses despite having cheap higher education? Apart from the time they will want to use us for experimental purpose for their new invention.
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by udemzyudex(m): 9:22am On Apr 15, 2019
StackNerd:

Fixing motherboard issue is fine, but that's one of the least of the things you should know as a computer engineer, because it is not taught in college, mostly by just watching a YouTube video you should be able to know that, as A computer engineer majorly focusing on comp/arch and systems,. You should know chip design(SOCs), FPGAs, Microcontrollers, Cache Design, Memory design, Tools such as Xillinx, Vivado, Atmel Studio and be solid in Languages like Verilog, VHDL, Embedded C, MATLAB, Assembly Language and know something about Digital signal processing, if you graduate as a computer engineer are not at least solid in 30 percent of this things . Hmmmm . Its like wasted time.

Well you can't just learn computer engineering by mere watching YouTube videos. It is not like learning graphic design or any other graphic stuff.

Same way you can't learn mechanical engineering by mere watching YouTube videos cos nobody will upload everything about it on YouTube from A-Z.

If someone that studied computer engineering at the uni can't even fix a motherboard issue how can he or she do any of the above you mentioned?

BTW, I studied accounting.
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by Dollywood(m): 9:29am On Apr 15, 2019
asuustrike1:

Not true. Medicine, nursing and law are thought at Nigeria university yet they are applied to real life situation. Those courses are practical oriented to a large extend

And how many of them have used that to solve life problems, skeptically I don't think any Nigerian can be fortified enough here to find cure for deadly disease like cancer, whereas the white people are the ones who sacrifice all they have to cure it.. Also there's never an engineer who could boast of a outstanding inventions... We're backward !!! It's never advisable to.let your child school in Nigeria (for those who are financially capable to do it). If u do watch CGTN on dstv.. You'll know what I'm saying... In china undergraduates of electrical engineer are making super crazy inventions with so much enthusiasm .. My friend here in Nigeria you'll see undergraduate praying and reading vehemently and tempestuously, just for good grades? Lol
When I was little I always dream to be a great scientist one day and make inventions to make the world a better place, unfortunately when I grew up i found out those dreams are dreams that can't come to pass here in Nigeria!!
Hopefully, I pray I travell out to Canada this year

#Shalom cool

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Correction: Clarifying The Content Of The New JAMB Modalities For Admission / Hilarious Nicknames Given To Your Teachers When You're In Secondary School... / IBB University Lecturer Slaps His Student In Niger State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.