Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,545 members, 7,827,036 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:23 AM

Are Some Bible Verses Truly "Mere" Opinions of Men And Should Not Be Followed? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are Some Bible Verses Truly "Mere" Opinions of Men And Should Not Be Followed? (1049 Views)

Is This Juju Or Mere Coincidence. Pls Explain Ur Experience / Nigerian Lady, Okemzuruoke Drags God On Twitter Over Some Bible Pages / If Quran Is A Holy Book, Why Do Muslims Still Accept Some Bible's Message? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Some Bible Verses Truly "Mere" Opinions of Men And Should Not Be Followed? by midolian(m): 10:26am On Apr 21, 2019
I just read the thought of some people on a thread created by winningways01 seeking people's opinion on whether or not women should preach or pastor in churches...see link below https://www.nairaland.com/5145595/biblically-should-women-preach-pastor

In defence of women preaching or pastoring in churches, some have opined that the Bible verses against women speaking and pastoring in churches were actually written by men and "should not be taken seriously"..

See some posts below..

danhiels:
I think this is the opinion of Paul and the time he lived in(traditionally women where deemed inferior by men at that time) see I believe the bible was inspired by God but it was not written by God so men wrote what they believe in their time just like some of our pastors say what they believe now (doesn't mean the apostles intend to deceive don't. know about pastors of now) my point:Deborah became a judge over all the tribes of Israel given anointing and authority by God we would he change over time and say women are not allowed to lead or rule or preach in the church or anywhere else ...God does not change nor lie for he OS not a man that he should be sorry

QuickStandard:
I have no time now to into details, cos am on my way to church.

But if you take a deeper look, from the scripture you quoted, you will see that Paul only expressed his own human views

My questions; Are some Bible verses truly written by men without inspiration from God? If Yes, should these verses still be followed? If No, are these verses just for story telling? How do we differentiate between the ones inspired by God and the verses written by men without God's inspiration?

Cc: lalasticlala
Re: Are Some Bible Verses Truly "Mere" Opinions of Men And Should Not Be Followed? by TVSA: 10:33am On Apr 21, 2019
some people don dey get sense small small. How will God say it's a shame for women to speak in the church? God is perfect, he isn't misogynist grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Are Some Bible Verses Truly "Mere" Opinions of Men And Should Not Be Followed? by midolian(m): 10:39am On Apr 21, 2019
TVSA:
some people don dey get sense small small. How will God say it's a shame for women to speak in the church? God is perfect, he isn't misogynist grin grin
You be God P.A? What do you have to say about these verses in almost all versions of Bible?

Corinthians fall on you!

Re: Are Some Bible Verses Truly "Mere" Opinions of Men And Should Not Be Followed? by iammo(m): 10:44am On Apr 21, 2019
Some verses where written by the real prophets of God that God inspires like Moses, Solomon, David... the other parts where written Account of followers and disciples of Jesus, the same once that abandoned him in his last hours, besides those other verses werent written on orders of God or Angel Micheal or Gabriel.

This is why the verses reflected the personalty of the author hence some contradiction
Re: Are Some Bible Verses Truly "Mere" Opinions of Men And Should Not Be Followed? by HappyPagan: 10:48am On Apr 21, 2019
midolian:
You be God P.A? What do you have to say about these verses in almost all versions of Bible?

Corinthians fall on you!

All verses in the Bible were written by men. Even your GOs claim to hear from the Holy Spirit, yet preach different doctrines.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Some Bible Verses Truly "Mere" Opinions of Men And Should Not Be Followed? by midolian(m): 10:49am On Apr 21, 2019
iammo:
Some verses where written by the real prophets of God that God inspires like Moses, Solomon, David... the other parts where written Account of followers and disciples of Jesus, the same once that abandoned him in his last hours, besides those other verses werent written on orders of God or Angel Micheal or Gabriel.

This is why the verses reflected the personalty of the author hence some contradiction
Hmmm...na wa oo! I am getting more confused by the day
Re: Are Some Bible Verses Truly "Mere" Opinions of Men And Should Not Be Followed? by MJBOLT: 11:03am On Apr 21, 2019
the bible is a booked filled with contradictions written by confused men,better save yourself the stress

midolian:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Some Bible Verses Truly "Mere" Opinions of Men And Should Not Be Followed? by TVSA: 11:08am On Apr 21, 2019
midolian:

Corinthians fall on you!

Paul was a man like you and me. He was even regarded as a heretic by some of the early Christian. The guy was a scam. Why did he preach about forsaking the law but when he came to Jerusalem, he followed the Jewish custom? grin grin
Re: Are Some Bible Verses Truly "Mere" Opinions of Men And Should Not Be Followed? by Dantedasz(m): 11:23am On Apr 21, 2019
midolian:

grin grin

Christians flip flop all the time and then cherry pick which verses of the Bible to obey or ignore.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Some Bible Verses Truly "Mere" Opinions of Men And Should Not Be Followed? by LordReed(m): 3:04pm On Apr 21, 2019
The entire bible is the work of men so I think people are free to obey any portion they are comfortable with but of course certain portions will get you in trouble if you obeyed it.
Re: Are Some Bible Verses Truly "Mere" Opinions of Men And Should Not Be Followed? by midolian(m): 3:11pm On Apr 21, 2019
LordReed:
The entire bible is the work of men so I think people are free to obey any portion they are comfortable with but of course certain portions will get you in trouble if you obeyed it.
choi!

I am speechless

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Some Bible Verses Truly "Mere" Opinions of Men And Should Not Be Followed? by LordReed(m): 3:17pm On Apr 21, 2019
midolian:
choi!

I am speechless

Why?
Re: Are Some Bible Verses Truly "Mere" Opinions of Men And Should Not Be Followed? by midolian(m): 3:30pm On Apr 21, 2019
LordReed:

Why?
It should not be so..

If we are to obey Certain portions and leave some, it means the Bible as a book is only a story book..
Re: Are Some Bible Verses Truly "Mere" Opinions of Men And Should Not Be Followed? by malvisguy212: 3:55pm On Apr 21, 2019
midolian:

Corinthians fall on you!

this verses you quote is not what you think it is, should women be ban from praying or singing in Church just because the Bible say they are not allowed to speak in Church ?

To interpret Paul’s meaning correctly, one must
examine this command in light of the culture and
situation of the believing community that this
epistle was addressing.
Re: Are Some Bible Verses Truly "Mere" Opinions of Men And Should Not Be Followed? by midolian(m): 3:58pm On Apr 21, 2019
malvisguy212:
this verses you quote is not what you think it is, should women be ban from praying or singing in Church just because the Bible say they are not allowed to speak in Church ?

To interpret Paul’s meaning correctly, one must
examine this command in light of the culture and
situation of the believing community that this
epistle was addressing.
Really? grin grin

1 Like

Re: Are Some Bible Verses Truly "Mere" Opinions of Men And Should Not Be Followed? by malvisguy212: 4:00pm On Apr 21, 2019
midolian:
Really? grin grin
answer the question I ask

should women be ban from praying or singing in
Church just because the Bible say they are not
allowed to speak in Church ?
Re: Are Some Bible Verses Truly "Mere" Opinions of Men And Should Not Be Followed? by midolian(m): 4:33pm On Apr 21, 2019
malvisguy212:

Of course! Why do we now call ourselves Christians if we won't follow the verses of the Bible in totality?

2 Likes

Re: Are Some Bible Verses Truly "Mere" Opinions of Men And Should Not Be Followed? by Empiree: 5:43pm On Apr 21, 2019
malvisguy212:

grin cheesy this brings us back to rilwayne001's thread years back questioning validity of bible. See how you are knocking yourself down?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are Some Bible Verses Truly "Mere" Opinions of Men And Should Not Be Followed? by Rilwayne001: 5:54pm On Apr 21, 2019
malvisguy212:

Paul did say they can pray and sing in 1 Cor. 11:5. Still yet you are yet to tell us what he meant by that they should be silent. Very well we can translate it to mean that women are not allowed to preach as he explicitly said in 1 Timothy 2:12.

Your Bible is full of chaff. sad

1 Like

Re: Are Some Bible Verses Truly "Mere" Opinions of Men And Should Not Be Followed? by malvisguy212: 7:45pm On Apr 21, 2019
midolian:
Of course! Why do we now call ourselves Christians if we won't follow the verses of the Bible in totality?
woman should not have authority over the man. if God do not want woman to preach He wouldn't have called Priscilla, Lydia, Deborah etc .

Joel 2:28.
"And it shall come to pass afterward, that I
will pour out my Spirit on ALL flesh; your sons
and your DAUGHTERS shall prophesy, your old
men shall dream dreams, and your young men
shall see visions".

God is risen many prophetic voice both men and women.
Re: Are Some Bible Verses Truly "Mere" Opinions of Men And Should Not Be Followed? by Emusan(m): 10:05pm On Apr 21, 2019
midolian:

Corinthians fall on you!

After you rush to post and concluded everything yourself on that thread, you came to open another! If what you posted on that thread is true, then why the need for this one

This one should have buttressed your first point, yet you called yourself a Christian!

Anyway, concerning the verse you quoted 1 Corinthian 14:34. Did you notice the last part of Apostle Paul's statement which says "...as also SAITH THE LAW"

We can then ask, which law did Paul refer to here? Everyone knows that this will be Moses's Law.

Yet Apostle said we are no longer under the law.

Basically, what the blessed apostle meant here must have been misconstrue by you.

Firstly, Paul was addressing the gifts of the Holy Spirit and how these gifts should be used without confusion or disorderliness in the church.

Secondly, God has said in Joel that in the last day He will pour out His SPIRIT upon ALL FLESH and they will PROPHESY...how will the women prophecy without speaking in the church?

Thirdly, Apostle Paul himself confirmed that women do prophecy in the church in 1 Cor 11:5

Lastly, I'll round this up with Adam Clarke's quote "From this it is evident that it was the DISORDERLY and DISOBEDIENT that the Apostle had in view, and not any of those on whom God had poured out His Spirit"

Shalom!
Re: Are Some Bible Verses Truly "Mere" Opinions of Men And Should Not Be Followed? by LordReed(m): 11:56pm On Apr 21, 2019
midolian:
It should not be so..

If we are to obey Certain portions and leave some, it means the Bible as a book is only a story book..

But it is only a storybook. It is like reading Aesop's fables only the stories are longer.

1 Like

Re: Are Some Bible Verses Truly "Mere" Opinions of Men And Should Not Be Followed? by Kobojunkie: 8:17pm On Dec 29, 2023
midolian:
My questions; Are some Bible verses truly written by men without inspiration from God?
■ If Yes, should these verses still be followed? If No, are these verses just for story telling?
■ How do we differentiate between the ones inspired by God and the verses written by men without God's inspiration?
1. First of all, you need to understand the difference between that which is inspired and that which is the Truth of God. All knowledge and wisdom — lies AND truth — are inspired by God since He owns it all. Even the words of Satan— the father of lies — presented in Scripture are equally inspired even as they are all lies. The opinions of men stated in scripture are equally inspired even though opinions are nothing but lies. The very breath of life in man belongs to God and so everything that man can conjure up while living is pretty much inspired by God.
in·spired

1. of extraordinary quality, as if arising from some external creative impulse.
2. (of air or another substance) that is breathed in.
Is that which is Inspired necessarily Holy? Absolutely Not! And this is where Christianity again fails to grasp the truth of God. Scripture does not state that God never apportioned Holiness to the inspired, much the same way it isn't written in Scripture that Satan is of Holiness even though Satan is revealed to do God's bidding and God's bidding alone. Also, Scripture contains no record of God commanding men to follow the inspired thoughts and ideas. Rather, Scripture records God condemning men following their many ideas and traditions using His name.

1. Now, to answer your questions. Yes, there are very many statements in Scripture that are not attributed to God, some of them even straight from Satan himself. undecided

2. There is no command in Scripture from God for Israel to follow that which is inspired. Rather, God's only mandate to His people has been that they submit and obey His commandments and teachings — God's Truth. undecided

3. God's Law — the Words out of God's mouth— is the standard by which you are meant to judge all that is written in Scripture. You are meant to validate every opinion of men against that which is stated directly by God(Jesus Christ included)in His Law. undecided

Sadly, Churchians typically do the opposite which is to take the opinions of men and then try to force God's word to conform somehow to it, as was the way of the Pharisees before them. undecided

(1) (Reply)

Rev Soyinka’s Wife Debunks False Allegations Against Dr DK Olukoya / Is Eating Of Pig Meat (pork) Prohibited In Christianity? / Why Are Very Religious Countries More Corrupt Than Less Religious Countries?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.