Stats: 3,153,381 members, 7,819,387 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:23 PM

Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings (63883 Views)

Yoruba Names Whose Meanings Are Now Lost / Ugwu Leaf Is Not A Yoruba Word. They Call It Efo Igbo And It's Not Commonly / What Is The Yoruba Word For "Oak Tree" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by TGM2015: 4:11pm On Apr 27, 2019
acounter2:
Yoruba people Will Not Kill Us Sha. just realise this of recent thanks to NYSC.

Ogun:- (medicine)

Ogun:- (charm)

Ogun:- (war)

Ogun:- (State) this is the same as charm, the state is named after Ogun (Charm) River. The river was said to be form by three powerful traditional champions

Ogun:- (god of iron)

Ogun:- (twenty)

Ogun:- (sweat) actual spelling of Sweat in Yoruba is Oògùn

Ogun:- (property)

Ogun:- (climb) this is also spell as ó gùn not ogun

Ogun:- (long) the spelling for this I. Yorùbá is ó gún

Only one word, 11 meanings!!
*I
So we have 6 meanings according to your post, though there might be more meaning but not the cancelled ones.

Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by nadiq1: 4:12pm On Apr 27, 2019
acounter2:

Ogun:- (State)

Ogun:- (sweat)

Ogun:- (climb)

Ogun:- (long)

*I

Some of the spellings are different and have accents to differentiate the pronounciation. For example oogun (sweat)
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by datigbogirl: 4:12pm On Apr 27, 2019
acounter2:

*I

My trip to Olumo Rock made me know this was gonna be the word before even opening it up.

These words are inscripted on a particular rock, although them no reach 10 as this Op don put hin own jara ontop...
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by olamidemessi: 4:12pm On Apr 27, 2019
[quote author=Oguieke post=77903524]probably the language lacks words and therefore uses one word to mean many things....[/quo

head is not correct at all
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by deesquarediddy(m): 4:14pm On Apr 27, 2019
acounter2:

*I

Some of these are wrong, mostly when you put the yoruba alphabetical marks (ami)

Medicine/Charm is...Oogun not Ogun. Its ami is (do do do)

Sweat is...Oogun not Ogun. Its ami is (do mi do)

Climb is O gun...not ogun. Its ami is (mi do mi)

Long is o gun....not ogun. Its ami is (mi do)

******Others are correct and what differentiate each is its ami

War/Ogun...Its ami is (re re)
State/Ogun...Its ami is (do do)
God or Iron/Ogun....its ami is (do mi)
Twenty/Inheritance/Ogun....Its ami is (re mi)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check this out too...Same word (Igba) with 4 different meaning

Igba with ami (re re)…meaning 200
Igba with ami (do do)….meaning time
Igba with ami (do mi)…Garden egg
Igba with ami (re do)…A rope used for climbing palm tree

Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by tomdon(m): 4:14pm On Apr 27, 2019
delishpot:
They are not one word and different meaning. In yoruba words have Ami! The Ami changes them and as such they are not one word but 11 different words

What about twenty and inheritance?
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by Nobody: 4:15pm On Apr 27, 2019
You mean skull mining isn't included?? Even skull exploration?? .Infact anything that has to do with harvesting and human parts?? .
Check again abeg.

Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by luluman: 4:15pm On Apr 27, 2019
acounter2:

OK Sir..... but according to my research..... how do u pronounced "he stab" and "she climb" ?
You dont seem to get it, he stab & she climb are but made from two words not one word as you claim. but others like war, charm etc are a single word.
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by mondaypemisire(m): 4:16pm On Apr 27, 2019
Smile....
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by luluman: 4:17pm On Apr 27, 2019
Patriot9:

Firstly, Yoruba language has rules and structures just like English language too. Yoruba language has dictionary.
Wait a minute, are you a Yoruba man? well the question is unnecessary.

Back to your question. The only acceptable way of writing "he stabs" in youruba is "O gun" and not "Ogun". The same process is applicable to " She climbs". However, what differentiate them is the symbol/mark/sign which I have little knowledge about.
Thats right
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by Kingdominate(m): 4:18pm On Apr 27, 2019
the must stupid language in nigeria .qoute me��
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by Nobody: 4:18pm On Apr 27, 2019
acounter2:

*I
oogun is sweat and not ogun, while climb is gun and not ogun. You try small sha
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by EMIOMOADEOYE: 4:20pm On Apr 27, 2019
acounter2:

*I

Point of Corrections

Ogun:- (medicine) Correct

Ogun:- (charm) Not different from the Ogun above........this meaning only comes to life contextually

Ogun:- (war) Correct

Ogun:- (State) This does not qualify as a Yoruba word.

Ogun:- (god of iron) Can be conceded

Ogun:- (twenty) Correct

Ogun:- (sweat) Wrong. The correct spelling is Oogun - the two Os have different diacritics

Ogun:- (property) Wrong.......What you mean is inheritance

Ogun:- (climb) Ridiculous - This is not a word. Climb in Yoruba is "gun". When you introduce O to gun for climb, it becomes a statement, not a word. You are trying to speak in third person here and so it should be "O guun". Notice there are 2 u's. They each have a corresponding diacritic

Ogun:- (long) Same as above. Long is "gun". What you are trying to say "O gun" (it is long) which like above is a statement, not a word.
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by Kasali226(m): 4:22pm On Apr 27, 2019
Patriot9:

To some extent, you are wrong.
1. Stab as a verb is not "Ogun". It is "gun".
"Ogun" is not an action word there.
The same thing is applicable to "Climb" and some others
Yoruba Shisha well-done grin
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by TemiATM(m): 4:22pm On Apr 27, 2019
Ogun_ stab?
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by baby124: 4:22pm On Apr 27, 2019
Yoruba words and language is all about the context you are using the language.
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by Geeoriginal: 4:23pm On Apr 27, 2019
TGM2015:

So we have 6 meanings according to your post, though there might be more meaning but not the cancelled ones.
Are you sure of the origin of the name of the state? Ogun (do do) also interprets as END, (nobody has mentioned that as another word that spells same). I believe Ogun state originated from the word End. It is the end state before you exit Nigeria from the SW part.
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by christofashion1(m): 4:23pm On Apr 27, 2019
He stabs, O gun (notice the space) she climbs O gu-un
acounter2:

OK Sir..... but according to my research..... how do u pronounced "he stab" and "she climb" ?
but nice effort bro
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by christofashion1(m): 4:23pm On Apr 27, 2019
He stabs, O gun (note the space) she climbs O gu-un
acounter2:

but nice effort bro
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by Leksma007(m): 4:25pm On Apr 27, 2019
oogun (sweat)
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by grafixdon: 4:25pm On Apr 27, 2019
Ogun - 20
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by grafixdon: 4:25pm On Apr 27, 2019
acounter2:

*I

Ogun - 20
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by omoadeleye(m): 4:26pm On Apr 27, 2019
Patriot9:

To some extent, you are wrong.
1. Stab as a verb is not "Ogun". It is "gun".
"Ogun" is not an action word there.
The same thing is applicable to "Climb" and some others

Like seriously, the op was just making me to think my Yoruba language twice, the op jist compiled rubbish without verifications
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by demmanuel78(m): 4:26pm On Apr 27, 2019
This is one of the reasons why students fail Yoruba in waec
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by Jeezuzpick(m): 4:26pm On Apr 27, 2019
@ acounter2

How you dey?

Some of these translations are not single words and some are spelt differently. The main difference is in pronunciation.

1. Ògùn............the SW Nigerian state
2. Oògun..........Medicine / Charm
3. Ogun.............War
4. Ògún.............God of Iron
5. Ó gún-un.......He/She stabbed him/her/it
6. Ó gùn-ún.......He/She climbed (or rode)
7. Ó gùn............It is long
8. Ogún.............Twenty (synonym okòó)
9. Ogún.............Inheritance (same as above, different context)
10. Òógùn..........Sweat

So, my friends, it ain't one word. Only two instances use the same word.

I wish people will really learn Yoruba.

Olamide and his goons are actually destroying the language, not propagating it.

Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by Pascal181: 4:27pm On Apr 27, 2019
The less u look,d more u see.
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by huspace(m): 4:29pm On Apr 27, 2019
you try, but their are ones that are not the way you put it.
there is stress in Yoruba language, which gives different meanings and different sounds to how a word is pronounce.
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by Teeboi56: 4:30pm On Apr 27, 2019
Yoruba dun kaaa
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by ishawlar: 4:31pm On Apr 27, 2019
U forgot this Ogun- ( stab )
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by advocate666: 4:35pm On Apr 27, 2019
Advanced humans have different words for different things but this primitive tribe uses the same word for everything.
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by Gforce2019: 4:35pm On Apr 27, 2019
Amuocha:
Add Ogun skull

Yamiri crew spotted

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife Performs Ritual Before Boarding Arik Airplane (video) / Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos / What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks