Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,510 members, 7,819,840 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:28 AM

Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings (63889 Views)

Yoruba Names Whose Meanings Are Now Lost / Ugwu Leaf Is Not A Yoruba Word. They Call It Efo Igbo And It's Not Commonly / What Is The Yoruba Word For "Oak Tree" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by eyinjuege: 6:52am On Apr 29, 2019
dapsy4u2:
Another one.....

Oko - Husband

Oko - Hoe ( farm tool)

Oko - penis

Oko - Stone

O ko - reject it

O ko - packed it

Put the Mark's on them before they have any meaning, otherwise you've just written and pronounced the same word same way.
Oko - husband
Okó - hoe (the first vowel O has a dot under it)
Okó - penis(There's no dot at the bottom of the 1st O here)
Òkò- stone
Ó ķò ó - he/she rejected it
Ó ko- he/she packed it

The vowels in Yoruba are
1. a
2. e (no dot under it),
3. e (has a dot under it),
4. i
5. o (no dot beneath it)
6. o (dot under it)
7.u
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by eyinjuege: 6:54am On Apr 29, 2019
Kolapo:
Some of the words are spelt differently e.g.

Oogun - Sweat, medicine or charm

Oogun means only sweat
Ògùn means medicine/charm
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by eyinjuege: 7:08am On Apr 29, 2019
femi4:
ọ̀dẹ̀
Do you have a yoruba keyboard? I didn't find the vowels with the dots under them in mine. I dont have the yoruba language option on my keyboard settings cry
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by eyinjuege: 7:42am On Apr 29, 2019
Wallade:

But the name of the river is Benue, the river in Niger is also called Niger, the river in Osun is also called Osun.

I believe that those arr the names of those rivers.

The states were named after the rivers. Those are names which means the same thing and are pronounced the same way. Names are used to identify a person or thing.
So you have to differentiate by putting river ogun, Ogun state, ogun valley etc
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by femi4: 7:55am On Apr 29, 2019
eyinjuege:

Do you have a yoruba keyboard? I didn't find the vowels with the dots under them in mine. I dont have the yoruba language option on my keyboard settings cry
You have to download multiling keyboard and run yoruba add on on it
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by eyinjuege: 8:50am On Apr 29, 2019
femi4:
You have to download multiling keyboard and run yoruba add on on it
Ok thanks. I've just seen something like yoruba keyboard app on play store.
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by femi4: 9:28am On Apr 29, 2019
eyinjuege:

alright
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by onimama4real(m): 7:20am On May 01, 2019
acounter2:
Yoruba people Will Not Kill Us Sha. just realise this of recent thanks to NYSC.

Ogun:- (medicine)

Ogun:- (charm)

Ogun:- (war)

Ogun:- (State)

Ogun:- (god of iron)

Ogun:- (twenty)

Ogun:- (sweat)

Ogun:- (property)

Ogun:- (climb)

Ogun:- (long)

Only one word, 11 meanings!!
*I
means you did not go deep in Yoruba, a real Yoruba person will put a sign mark to identify each of this word. That's why is more harder than both English n mathematics.
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by onimama4real(m): 7:27am On May 01, 2019
Yoruba language is not as easy as you thought, only the signed Mark can burst your brain, proud to b a Yoruba guy.
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by Olu317(m): 8:15am On May 01, 2019
acounter2:

OK Sir..... but according to my research..... how do u pronounced "he stab" and "she climb" ?

Atimes,to wriggle out tension,one can make things look easy as it seems on here but considering, the wider range of this platform, a lot of people may actually think, the information above is true.Unfortunately, it is not accurately correct because these words you highlighted aren't HOMONYM but HOMOGRAPH.The reason being that most of the words you shared are not pronounced alike. In fact, the ‘o' is stretched in many of the words you posted,while some don't have ‘o'

On your question: The letter ‘o' is interchangeably with ‘è in majority of the Yoruba dialects'. Thus, it does stand for third person singular in the manner you used it in the case of ,‘stab'. Plainly, if it has accents/diacritic sign, then the speakers,who knows each word would laught it off because each word in Yoruba is heavily enshrined in diacritic for you to be able to read its acent to understand it perfectly. Below is what you try to posit,which is a phrase. So also a Yoruba dictionary produced in 1913 and it has in it,the two words you researched.
‘O'
Yoruba: O
Meaning: he/she

Yoruba: Gún
Meaning: stab(s),pierce

Yoruba : O gún
Meaning: he/she stabs.

Yoruba : Gùn
Meaning: Climb

Cheers

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by Lematin(m): 12:25pm On May 01, 2019
Another one is "igba"
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by lx3as(m): 7:09pm On May 01, 2019
eyinjuege:

just hold down the letter for a second on Gboard (Google keyboard), you will find Yoruba Vowels and consonant 'ṣ' and marks, eg, Okòó - 20.

1 Like

Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by Slimsly100(f): 1:07pm On Nov 07, 2020
Patriot9:

To some extent, you are wrong.
1. Stab as a verb is not "Ogun". It is "gun".
"Ogun" is not an action word there.
The same thing is applicable to "Climb" and some others

Shuo! I almost want confuse o
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by XAUBulls: 7:37pm On Jun 04, 2023
acounter2:

Oh, wow... 11 words, same spelling with different pronunciations. grin
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by Tunde25(m): 11:55am On Oct 19, 2023
acounter2:

*I

Corrections

Ògùn:- (medicine)

Oògùn:- (charm)

Ògùn:- (State)

Ògún:- (god of iron)

Ogún:- (twenty)

Ogun:- (sweat) Òógùn

Ogún:- (property)

Ogun:- (climb) Ó gùn ún

Ogun:- (long) Ó gùn

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos / What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks / A "Super-sweet" Collection Of Hausa Proverbs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.