Stats: 3,153,427 members, 7,819,554 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:02 PM

Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings (63884 Views)

Yoruba Names Whose Meanings Are Now Lost / Ugwu Leaf Is Not A Yoruba Word. They Call It Efo Igbo And It's Not Commonly / What Is The Yoruba Word For "Oak Tree" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by Reelmii: 9:57pm On Apr 27, 2019
yesloaded:

Property is different f inheritance

Dukia is property

Ogun is inheritance

Something you inherit from somone be it your parents, brothers etc is inheritance(Ogun)

Dukia/Ogun is your own property.

Ask from those who understand ijinle Yoruba
that means he made a mistake on that

he was supposed to write inheritance not property
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by Jeboy(m): 9:59pm On Apr 27, 2019
blackslayer:

OGUN :- (INHERITANCE)

Same as property in the list.
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by Kolapo: 10:07pm On Apr 27, 2019
Some of the words are spelt differently e.g.

Oogun - Sweat, medicine or charm
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by tejpot(m): 10:12pm On Apr 27, 2019
Let me help you with the marks and some few corrections.

acounter2:
Yoruba people Will Not Kill Us Sha. just realise this of recent thanks to NYSC.

Ogun:- (medicine) Ògùn do-do

Ogun:- (charm) Ògùn do-do

Ogun:- (war) Ogun re-re

Ogun:- (State) Ògùn do-do

Ogun:- (god of iron) Ògún do-mi

Ogun:- (twenty) Ogún re-mi

Ogun:- (sweat) Òógùn do-mi-do (three syllables)

Ogun:- (property) Ogún re-mi

Ogun:- (climb) Ó gǔn mi-do-mi (Sounds like 3 syllables)

Ogun:- (long) Ó gùn mi-do (two words)

Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by merrymaker2: 10:18pm On Apr 27, 2019
The submission about these words are faulty. The tonal system of d language is unique, it can only be decoded by a native speaker. Oogun is Medicine and not Ogun....speak with a native speaker for more enlightenment.
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by merrymaker2: 10:20pm On Apr 27, 2019
Opiletool:

Those are the only two words with the same pronunciation, the rest have tonal differences. Besides, in English Language, we have Bank (financial institutions, side of a river), Address (speak to, location) . They are called homonyms.
Even, these words are written as Oogun...not Ogun.

Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by blackslayer: 10:40pm On Apr 27, 2019
Jeboy:

Same as property in the list.

NO IT'S NOT. PROPERTY CAN BE A FORM OF INHERITANCE. LEARN YOUR GRAMMAR!
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by Nobody: 10:42pm On Apr 27, 2019
Yoruba Amaka..... hit like for afonja and share for Igbos amaka
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by Lotel: 10:47pm On Apr 27, 2019
masseratti:
its not a matter of oga lecturer, what you wrote is actually wrong for people who don't know or want to learn you you post hubris on the internet, Yorùbá is a tonal language, without the proper signs on the vowels what you wrote is misleading.
That one na lecturer, you be grammarian. Cho Cho Cho Cho Cho upandan

Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by Iretii0511(m): 11:29pm On Apr 27, 2019
femi4:
Fixed! The last two are combination of pronoun and verb not one word

Don't destroy the beautiful language
Please how do you type in Yoruba?
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by Ceomanchuria: 11:46pm On Apr 27, 2019
Lotel:
Oga lecturer
Boda Ogun grin

Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by iamclime(m): 12:20am On Apr 28, 2019
acounter2:

Ogun:- (medicine)

Ogun:- (charm)

Ogun:- (war)

Ogun:- (State)

Ogun:- (god of iron)

Ogun:- (twenty)

Ogun:- (sweat)

Ogun:- (property)

Ogun:- (climb)

Ogun:- (long)

Only one word, 11 meanings!!
*I
The Op tried. Well done!
Not all the words are quite correct, though, grammatically and semantically. Sweat is òógùn, climb-gùn (verb), long-gùn (can be an adjective or a verb), e.g ó gùn ( it's long). Yorùbá is a diacritical/tonal language. Writing/pronouncing it without diacritics spoils the beauty and distorts the meaning!

Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by eazriel09: 2:55am On Apr 28, 2019
acounter2:

*I

You are wrong most of what you wrote up there is not a single word eg Climb is gun and o gun means he climbs it there is space between o and same things goes with what you describe as long, long even sweat has double o before the g and the state, charm, and medicine is the same word. Ogun is not property but inheritance so Ogun only has for different pronunciation and interpretation
Ogun war
Ògùn medicine, charm
Ògún god of war
Ogún twenty, inheritance

Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by hottathafire(m): 4:04am On Apr 28, 2019
acounter2:

OK Sir..... but according to my research..... how do u pronounced "he stab" and "she climb" ?
You are wrong and that's what he is telling you.
He stabbed is "ó gun" two different words, they're never written together. "Ó"stands for the pronoun while "gun" is stab. Same with she climbs.
If you know Yoruba grammar you will know that some of those your words are not written together or not written the way you wrote them e.g ogun- sweat which should be correctly written as "òógùn" and not ogun

Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by femi4: 4:59am On Apr 28, 2019
Iretii0511:

Please how do you type in Yoruba?
I use multikeyboard with yoruba plug in
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by tciro: 5:50am On Apr 28, 2019
But u did not say he climbed u just said climb.
Stab is different from he stabbed

acounter2:

OK Sir..... but according to my research..... how do u pronounced "he stab" and "she climb" ?
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by tciro: 5:51am On Apr 28, 2019
Correct grin

hottathafire:

You are wrong and that's what he is telling you.
He stabbed is "ó gun" two different words, they're never written together. "Ó"stands for the pronoun while "gun" is stab. Same with she climbs.
If you know Yoruba grammar you will know that some of those your words are not written together or not written the way you wrote them e.g ogun- sweat which should be correctly written as "òógùn" and not ogun
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by sophy17(m): 5:51am On Apr 28, 2019
acounter2:

*I

The eleventh one is:

Ogun- to stab
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by Kay25(m): 6:06am On Apr 28, 2019
acounter2:

*I
it is not one word they don't all have the same spelling in the contemporary yoruba diction.
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by MIKOLOWISKA: 6:15am On Apr 28, 2019
acounter2:

Oogun not ogun

O gun
Two different words

O gun Two different words

*I
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by Praissey: 7:36am On Apr 28, 2019
Patriot9:

To some extent, you are wrong.
1. Stab as a verb is not "Ogun". It is "gun".
"Ogun" is not an action word there.
The same thing is applicable to "Climb" and some others
You're very right. I was going to say something similar.
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by Praissey: 7:39am On Apr 28, 2019
acounter2:

It's not about the pronunciation. It's about the number of words. Those ones are formed from two different words entirely - "o" and "gun".
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by Coolgent(m): 8:23am On Apr 28, 2019
Yoruba my people i hail una
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by mozes01(m): 9:42am On Apr 28, 2019
Patriot9:

To some extent, you are wrong.
1. Stab as a verb is not "Ogun". It is "gun".
"Ogun" is not an action word there.
The same thing is applicable to "Climb" and some others
On point bro.
The Ogun (sweat) is also wrong. It is (óògun)
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by masseratti: 1:10pm On Apr 28, 2019
Lotel:
That one na lecturer, you be grammarian. Cho Cho Cho Cho Cho upandan
lolz same way you do your folks with oversabi, that's why your bed room be the way it its, kwantinue... Am sure you will understand that nau cos u will quote me.
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by dapsy4u2(m): 3:34pm On Apr 28, 2019
Empressabbie:

Stop saying what you don't understand. All what you wrote are completely different from each other. Where is your brain?

You must be very stupid for quoting me!
Do you speak Yoruba?
Didn't you see the meaning by the side of each word has different pronounciation but same spelling
What rubbish are you spewing!
Cretin and idiot!
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by Empressabbie(f): 3:55pm On Apr 28, 2019
dapsy4u2:

You must be very stupid for quoting me!
Do you speak Yoruba?
Didn't you see the meaning by the side of each word has different pronounciation but same spelling
What rubbish are you spewing!
Cretin and idiot!
I speak Yoruba and all what you wrote are not pronounced the same way. Get your facts right before coming to an online forum to write gibberish.
In Yoruba language, there's two pronunciation for o. The first one is pronounced "o" while the second is pronounced like "or", so they are not the same thing. Stop quoting me and just go look for your brain.
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by dapsy4u2(m): 9:19pm On Apr 28, 2019
Empressabbie:

I speak Yoruba and all what you wrote are not pronounced the same way. Get your facts right before coming to an online forum to write gibberish.
In Yoruba language, there's two pronunciation for o. The first one is pronounced "o" while the second is pronounced like "or", so they are not the same thing. Stop quoting me and just go look for your brain.

When you have found your brain, we can talk
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by tomdon(m): 2:33am On Apr 29, 2019
delishpot:

Nope grin grin

You can't deny that twenty and inheritance have absolutely the same pronunciation, intonation and all what not
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by Darevofpeace(m): 6:14am On Apr 29, 2019
Empressabbie:

Beautiful and matured response.Your conflict resolution skill would be amazing.You are calm,cool and well collected. I do envy your manners.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife Performs Ritual Before Boarding Arik Airplane (video) / Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos / What Is The Significance Of The Yoruba Tribal Marks