Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,000 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:16 AM

Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings (63869 Views)

Yoruba Names Whose Meanings Are Now Lost / Ugwu Leaf Is Not A Yoruba Word. They Call It Efo Igbo And It's Not Commonly / What Is The Yoruba Word For "Oak Tree" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by yesloaded: 7:09pm On Apr 27, 2019
Reelmii:
that is what the property stands for
Property is different f inheritance

Dukia is property

Ogun is inheritance

Something you inherit from somone be it your parents, brothers etc is inheritance(Ogun)

Dukia/Ogun is your own property.

Ask from those who understand ijinle Yoruba
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by TGM2015: 7:16pm On Apr 27, 2019
Geeoriginal:

Are you sure of the origin of the name of the state? Ogun (do do) also interprets as END, (nobody has mentioned that as another word that spells same). I believe Ogun state originated from the word End. It is the end state before you exit Nigeria from the SW part.
There is no meaning of Ogun that is signifies or represent END. End means òpin in Yoruba. And about the history, that was the fact. The state was named after a river named OGUN (charm). I don't know if OGBC still include the below song in their broadcasting. The song looks like

Ogun rẹ ooo, omi rẹ a ṣàn rẹ rẹ 2x...
Ká f'ohùn dédé, de de owó,
Ká f'ọwọ́ wá, ká m'aye wa
Ká wá f'ese mu'le sì Ogun Rédíò.
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by Karleb(m): 7:23pm On Apr 27, 2019
Actually sweat is Oogun not Ogun.
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by Femeto: 7:28pm On Apr 27, 2019
femi4:
ọ̀dẹ̀
Ni e.
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by jidoex66(m): 7:29pm On Apr 27, 2019
seegi:
Wow!!

By the way We have Farmlands for sale in Ilorin at various locations Check my Signature for more details
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by Nobody: 7:33pm On Apr 27, 2019
femi4:
end? Where did you see "end"

"Ògùn means end while Ìpínlẹ̀ means state" that's what I am telling you.

"Ìpínlẹ̀ Ògùn " why do you think they call them gate way?
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by Nobody: 7:42pm On Apr 27, 2019
acounter2:

OK Sir..... but according to my research..... how do u pronounced "he stab" and "she climb" ?
As a Yoruba language student the correct spellings for those two are:
He stab- o guun ( mi-mi-re)
She climb- o guun (mi-do-mi)

smiley

1 Like

Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by Nobody: 7:44pm On Apr 27, 2019
acounter2:

OK Sir..... but according to my research..... how do u pronounced "he stab" and "she climb" ?

As a Yoruba language student, the two words are spelt this way:
He stab- o guun ( mi-mi-re)
She climb- o guun (mi do mi)
smiley
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by Thehatman: 7:46pm On Apr 27, 2019
Patriot9:

To some extent, you are wrong.
1. Stab as a verb is not "Ogun". It is "gun".
"Ogun" is not an action word there.
The same thing is applicable to "Climb" and some others

Mofor o lecturer grin
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by femi4: 7:54pm On Apr 27, 2019
ruffbamreal:

"Ògùn means end while Ìpínlẹ̀ means state" that's what I am telling you.

"Ìpínlẹ̀ Ògùn " why do you think they call them gate way?
Wrong, it was named after River Ogun just like lagos was named after lagoon

Its aka is "gateway" cos it shares boundary with other states like Lagos, Oyo etc
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by Nobody: 7:55pm On Apr 27, 2019
Patriot9:

"Ogun" is not an action word there. This is it, when someone who have PhD in Yoruba language comment on a post you will know it.
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by Nobody: 7:59pm On Apr 27, 2019
femi4:
Wrong, it was named after River Ogun just like lagos was named after lagoon

What is the meaning of the "Ògùn" Sir?
Remember it is a Yorùbá word.
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by femi4: 8:02pm On Apr 27, 2019
ruffbamreal:

What is the meaning of the "Ògùn" Sir?
Remember it is a Yorùbá word.
End in Yoruba is Òpin not Ògùn

In the Yoruba religion, Yemoja is the divinity of the Ogun River. The catechist Charles Phillips, father of the Charles Phillips who later became Bishop of Ondo, wrote in 1857 that the Ogun River was generally worshipped by the people who live along its banks from its rise until where it empties into the lagoon.[5] The river ran through the heart of the old Oyo Empire.

Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by distilledwalex(m): 8:02pm On Apr 27, 2019
acounter2:
Yoruba people Will Not Kill Us Sha. just realise this of recent thanks to NYSC.

Ogun:- (medicine)

Ogun:- (charm)

Ogun:- (war)

Ogun:- (State)

Ogun:- (god of iron)

Ogun:- (twenty)

Ogun:- (sweat)

Ogun:- (property)

Ogun:- (climb)

Ogun:- (long)

Only one word, 11 meanings!!
*I
Thats not correct.
Sweat is OOGUN
Climb is GUN not Ogun
Long is O GUN not ogun
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by eldoradofarms(m): 8:04pm On Apr 27, 2019
acounter2:

*I

Sorry, they are different words. Let's put some some lecturing into this. Yoruba words have signs we put at the top of vowels. Vowels are ( a, e e i o o u ) The second e & o has a dot underneath. Consonants don't have signs.
So the signs are dò re mí. Re don't have no sign ontop

Ògùn medicine ( do do)

Ògùn charm ( do do )

Ogun war ( note the vowels. ( Re re )

Ògùn state ( do do)

Ògún god of Iron ( do mi )

Ogún twenty ( re mí )

Òógùn sweat ( do mi do )

Ogún - property or inheritance ( re mí )

Ó gùn ún - to climb ( mi do mi )

Ógùn - long ( mi do )
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by akosh005: 8:05pm On Apr 27, 2019
Ogun- problem
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by HolyboiAy(m): 8:16pm On Apr 27, 2019
Yoruba is a tonal language and these (Ogun) can't be regarded as same thing. There are so many tone that are supposed to be added to the Ogun that will give it other meaning. We don't just rich Ogun without tone which are suprasegmental sounds. These words are not correct ordinarily without the sounds.
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by delishpot: 8:19pm On Apr 27, 2019
tomdon:

What about twenty and inheritance?

there is a slight difference in pronunciation too. 20 is somehow stretched compared to inheritance.
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by Gatsbythegreat1: 8:33pm On Apr 27, 2019
Ogun (it's good)
Ogun (to pound) e.g Ogun omo yen(he pound that girl)
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by uszyblinks(m): 8:34pm On Apr 27, 2019
Ogun => stab
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by tomdon(m): 8:36pm On Apr 27, 2019
delishpot:

there is a slight difference in pronunciation too. 20 is somehow stretched compared to inheritance.

Are you an egun??
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by delishpot: 8:39pm On Apr 27, 2019
tomdon:

Are you an egun??

Nope grin grin
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by Nobody: 8:43pm On Apr 27, 2019
Patriot9:

"Ogun" is not an action word there.
In addition, sweat is 'Oogun' and not 'Ogun'.
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by Nobody: 8:50pm On Apr 27, 2019
akosh005:
Ogun- problem
Wrong! Problem in Yoruba is 'Isoro'.
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by MPESA(m): 8:57pm On Apr 27, 2019
Amuocha:
Add Ogun skull

I can't stop laughing cheesy
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by masseratti: 8:58pm On Apr 27, 2019
Lotel:
Oga lecturer
its not a matter of oga lecturer, what you wrote is actually wrong for people who don't know or want to learn you you post hubris on the internet, Yorùbá is a tonal language, without the proper signs on the vowels what you wrote is misleading.
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by Progressive15: 9:24pm On Apr 27, 2019
Ogun (straight)
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by Tunde25(m): 9:31pm On Apr 27, 2019
acounter2:

*I

Some listed words here and their English meanings are not correct. Some words are pronounced in stress.... e.g. Stab - ó gún un
Long - ó gùn
Climb - ó gùn ún
Sweat - òógùn
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by lx3as(m): 9:43pm On Apr 27, 2019
Gatsbythegreat1:
Ogun (it's good) Ogun (to pound) e.g Ogun omo yen(he pound that girl)
Ogun - Right, Straight
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by shumuel(m): 9:55pm On Apr 27, 2019
acounter2:

*I

Actually it is more that that

Ogun:- You stab
Ogun:- You didn't stab
e.t.c
Re: Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings by shumuel(m): 9:56pm On Apr 27, 2019
acounter2:

*I

Actually it is more that that

Ogun:- You stab
Ogun:- You didn't climb
e.t.c

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Igba Nkwu Nwanyi (igbo Traditional Wedding Ceremony) / Ooni Of Ife Performs Ritual Before Boarding Arik Airplane (video) / Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.