Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,165 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:17 AM

Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him - Literature (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him (75988 Views)

Wole Soyinka With Founding Members Of Pyrate In 1952 (Throwback Photo) / 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe / Wole Soyinka Reacts To Wedding Of His Son, Oretunlewa And Nneka Ekechukwu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by perpeling22(f): 8:13am On May 09, 2019
ahiboilandgas:
or u can't comprehend what he said ....he used theatrical language to reply...

Explain what he said. Even me I don't understand
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by frankmoney(m): 8:14am On May 09, 2019
wirinet:

All these people must be Afonjas then that nominated a 55 page book for Nobel Price;

1. Members of the Swedish Academy and of other
academies, institutions and societies which are
similar to it in construction and purpose;

2. Professors of literature and of linguistics at
universities and university colleges;

3. Previous Nobel Laureates in Literature;

4. Presidents of those societies of authors that are
representative of the literary production in their
respective countries.
- https://www.nobelprize.org/nomination/literature/

I still say it, you guys have chronic psychological issues, that is connected to the fear, envy and jealousy of Afonjas. You can't go a single day, sorry a single hour without thinking of Afonjas.
stop wasting your time arguing to someone who has refused to have sense

4 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by frankmoney(m): 8:15am On May 09, 2019
maestroferddi:
All these turanci you are writing here do not add up.

Don't tell me you are this naive or uncircumspect....

Achebe never had the Nobel for Literature conferred on him for one main reason: His acclaimed stance against the white establishment in their attempt to depict black Africa as an inferior race. He was renowned for challenging long-held views that African literature is not pristine and that African writers had little literary merit.

Achebe dared the supremacists. He hinted severally that he didn't need the prize to underline his standing as one of the best men of letters of all time.

In. terms of depth, technical and cultural significance, reach and universality, Soyinka knows there was no time he could have held a candle to Achebe.

Where are Soyinka's Things Fall Apart, No Longer At Ease and Arrows of God?

How many Nigerians have heard of Jero Plays, Kongi Harvest and The King's Horseman (hope I got that title correctly)?

Achebe is undisputably one of the greatest literary minds ever to come out of Africa.

You don't have your magnus opus translated to over five dozen languages for nothing....resa ipso loquitor...
all this stuff you wrote is mere conspiracy theory

5 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by anambraamaka: 8:15am On May 09, 2019
Mana o eziokwu

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by dheilaw1(m): 8:16am On May 09, 2019
rusher14:

When you need money...holler.

grin

I need o
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by dawg7o: 8:17am On May 09, 2019
SarkinYarki:
over 116 people have won the Nobel prize for literature including Bob Dylan the country musician !!!! so Wole Soyinka should stop disturbing like he is the first and last person to win it ..Its not a that much of a big deal jare

Actually, it is. 116 people in 7 billion is a big deal. �

6 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by dazzlingd(m): 8:17am On May 09, 2019
SarkinYarki:
over 116 people have won the Nobel prize for literature including Bob Dylan the country musician !!!! so Wole Soyinka should stop disturbing like he is the first and last person to win it ..Its not a that much of a big deal jare

Who in your ancestry has ever been nominated

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by aribisala0(m): 8:18am On May 09, 2019
RTSC:
Achebe is the most read, the most translated African author of all times.

Not even the Nobel can confer that on you.

Soyinka was a great writer too and definitely deserved the Nobel.

That is a nice way to console one self.

JK Rowling author of Harry Potter is even more widely read and she will never win a Nobel Prize because she is not good enough.

There is no comparison between Soyinka and Achebe. He wrote Plays mainly , just like Shakespeare, though he wrote other works too

Playwrights inhabit a world inaccessible to those whose diet is James Hadley Chase and Jackie Collins

Yes people drink more Coca Cola than Orange juice but that does not make it good or healthy

Shakespeare wrote works like
Macbeth
Merchant of Venice
Julius Caesar
etc

They are HARD WORK to read and study . They are not intellectual popcorn and so we do not expect millions of people to buy them

Wole Soyinka wrote Plays which we also studied at school
e.g Trials of Brother Jero.#
#It is not the sort of work ordinary people read on a plane journey.
He wrote serious philosophical essays whic again, were serious academic works and poetry.
That is why his peers honoured him

18 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by blowjohn(m): 8:18am On May 09, 2019
SLAP44:
In the end, Soyinka spoke so many words and ended up saying nothing in response to the issues raised.

Such an evasive character is not worthy of even the readers digest author of the week award.

In the end, u bro, succeeded in not grasping the meaning in the contents of Soyinka's response.
In the end, u bro, just showed u shouldn't even reply to my comments cos u seem to lack some form of understanding.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Ofemannnu: 8:18am On May 09, 2019
Bridget95:
Why can't you people reason about ethnic sentiments.Reno is more Yoruba. His mom is from the same state as wole yet he reasons from a reasonable point of view.Chinue Achebe resonates well in the literary world far above wole soyinka.

The Nobel committee is not swayed by petty sentiments. They award it to the very best.

8 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Olatewe: 8:19am On May 09, 2019
SLAP44:
In the end, Soyinka spoke so many words and ended up saying nothing in response to the issues raised.

Such an evasive character is not worthy of even the readers digest author of the week award.

What issues? A random individual's opinion has suddenly become an issue? You simply do not understand his reply because you aren't interested in trying to. Read again
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by RexTramadol1: 8:20am On May 09, 2019
Can your achebe ever have Achebe day in a foreign university?

When he gets that, come back to argue!
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Ofemannnu: 8:20am On May 09, 2019
maestroferddi:
All these turanci you are writing here do not add up.

Don't tell me you are this naive or uncircumspect....

Achebe never had the Nobel for Literature conferred on him for one main reason: His acclaimed stance against the white establishment in their attempt to depict black Africa as an inferior race. He was renowned for challenging long-held views that African literature is not pristine and that African writers had little literary merit.

Achebe dared the supremacists. He hinted severally that he didn't need the prize to underline his standing as one of the best men of letters of all time.

In. terms of depth, technical and cultural significance, reach and universality, Soyinka knows there was no time he could have held a candle to Achebe.

Where are Soyinka's Things Fall Apart, No Longer At Ease and Arrows of God?

How many Nigerians have heard of Jero Plays, Kongi Harvest and The King's Horseman (hope I got that title correctly)?

Achebe is undisputably one of the greatest literary minds ever to come out of Africa.

You don't have your magnus opus translated to over five dozen languages for nothing....resa ipso loquitor...

The Nobel committee is not swayed by petty sentiments. They award it to the very best.

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by SarkinYarki: 8:21am On May 09, 2019
dazzlingd:

Who in your ancestry has ever been nominated

Bob Dylan ..Now kill yourself
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by PeacenLove2: 8:22am On May 09, 2019
When will people realize Reno is just an idiot ready to spill jargons for money and relevance?

Our dearest professor should have just ignored him. I pity those who call this one pastor. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by dazzlingd(m): 8:22am On May 09, 2019
SarkinYarki:

Bob Dylan ..Now kill yourself

Congratulations, your greatest life accomplishment....
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by shadeyinka(m): 8:22am On May 09, 2019
SLAP44:

Wole Soyinka gave an epic reply if you only bothered to analyze it.

1. He just told Omokri that "he isn't worth a reply"
2. He acknowledged his respect to the great Chinua Achebe
3. He gave no room for Reno to reply: cause any reply would be stupidity

If a mad man tore your shirt, would you roll up your sleeves to fight him?
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by SarkinYarki: 8:23am On May 09, 2019
AkataYeriYeri:

Mynd44 Lalasticlala OAM4J Dominique justwise
Rule 2

Where was rule two broken there !!! get a life man ..I am even tired of NL already any more needless ban and I am gone for good
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Topmaike007(m): 8:23am On May 09, 2019
Let truth be told I did not understand what he write up there
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by frankmoney(m): 8:24am On May 09, 2019
rex444:
But he has a point ....ever read profs books as well as Achebe's? As a growing child I read a number of Achebe's books but non of profs......and I think this award usually goes to the writer with widely read books
j.k Rowling has a book that's one of the most read in history , and has never won a Nobel prize

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Uchemus(m): 8:24am On May 09, 2019
SLAP44:

See the way you left your incomprehensible f00lishness to the bare. Just say you dont understand the English or stfu. you must not always display your ignorance.
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by azikiweironsi(m): 8:25am On May 09, 2019
Goke7:
some fellas are just educated illiterates e.g. Reno.

Soyinka has paid his dues, not many including those who are always using their ethnic bigotry to cast aspersions knew the efforts Prof Soyinka made to persuade the Govt back in the 60s to avert the bloody civil war.

It's high time folks are properly educated from the history books to give credit rightly where it belongs and stop exposing their high level of illiteracy, the fact that Soyinka never supported your favourite politician does not reduce or diminish his hard earned credentials and precious contributions to the project called' Nigeria'. Nigeria would have been a better place if we had more like him.

God bless you. You have said it all.
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by SarkinYarki: 8:25am On May 09, 2019
dazzlingd:

Congratulations, your greatest life accomplishment....

No !! My sweetest acomplisment today is that I can feed many people that are doing better than you oo
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Kolomanagee: 8:26am On May 09, 2019
kanu and okocha.
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by LZAA: 8:27am On May 09, 2019
BuhariAdvocate:
This useless Rino trying to foment trouble again.its an embarrassment to compare prof soyinka with that half baked achebe .

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by dazzlingd(m): 8:27am On May 09, 2019
SarkinYarki:

No !! My sweetest acomplisment today is that I can feed many people that are doing better than you oo
Congrats, I celebrate with you.....what a feat!

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by aribisala0(m): 8:27am On May 09, 2019
Bridget95:
Why can't you people reason about ethnic sentiments.Reno is more Yoruba. His mom is from the same state as wole yet he reasons from a reasonable point of view.Chinue Achebe resonates well in the literary world far above wole soyinka.
Guy please learn to speak English and stop talking nonsense,.

What is "resonate well.... far above"

The fact is you have no clue.

It is clear you do not read because you cannot string a simple sentence together. You think this is a matter of getting "likes" on social media?

Achebe was not good Enough even to be nominated . Yes Soyinka was the first African but not the last so why was Achebe not subsequently nominated? His works were average ,nothing distinctive. His only claim to fame was that he ,because of his age, was one of the first Africans to be published and was a pioneer with the African Writer series. He was mainly a novelist. Wole Soyinka wrote plays that were performed in the National Theatre in London.
Wole Soyinka not only wrote plays, he acted on stage. He directed plays and ran theatre companies. Theatre was his forte though he wrote serious novels like The Man died , I am sure you have not read it because it is hard work and not for simple minded folk

6 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by goslowgoslow(m): 8:28am On May 09, 2019
SLAP44:

What issues are raised? Are you okay?

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by grandstar(m): 8:29am On May 09, 2019
SLAP44:

Comparisons like that can hurt. We shouldn't make unguarded statements. Words are like toothpaste. When out, you can not put it back in.

Achebe is a master storyteller. Wole Shoyinks is a wordsmith.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Mending Fences (romance) / PEMISIRE: ....a man's destiny / These 5 Books Helped Me The Most In Life. Let Me See Yours. By Ilegend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.