Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,184 members, 7,822,005 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:52 AM

Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him - Literature (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him (76140 Views)

Wole Soyinka With Founding Members Of Pyrate In 1952 (Throwback Photo) / 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe / Wole Soyinka Reacts To Wedding Of His Son, Oretunlewa And Nneka Ekechukwu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Xisnin(m): 9:01am On May 09, 2019
TheWrita:
I am sure you have not read any of his books.You are just supporting based on tribe.
Not everybody bases their judgment on tribalism as you do.

I have read many of his works.
I admit, many of Soyinka's works will be intellectually-challenging to a person with an average
intellect which made some to question their value.

It is just like comparing Shakespeare and Harry potter's series or LOTR and Alice in the wonderland.
The audience is different.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by ocelot2006(m): 9:02am On May 09, 2019
BuhariAdvocate:
undecided keep quiet so anyone supporting Buhari and good governance is from north?

Did you say "good governance"?? Hehehehehehe cheesy
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by ocelot2006(m): 9:04am On May 09, 2019
LuciferKoran:

They were highly learned men & women not uneducated Islamic terrorist suicide bombers from Maiduguri.

#Wicked. grin grin
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Nobody: 9:05am On May 09, 2019
Truth be told. Soyinka is one of the worst writers I've ever read their works. It beats my imagination how he was nominated for that prize and Achebe wasn't. There's no basis of comparison between them. And this reply is a great example of how bad a writer he is

3 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Ijawwomaninoyo: 9:07am On May 09, 2019
Bridget95:
Why can't you people reason about ethnic sentiments.Reno is more Yoruba. His mom is from the same state as wole yet he reasons from a reasonable point of view.Chinue Achebe resonates well in the literary world far above wole soyinka.

His father is from where?
He is more of a bastard dragging elders from his mother's land!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by benitwater(m): 9:08am On May 09, 2019
ALLNIGERIANSMAD:
can you translate what wole wrote to English pls.
he is was telling Reno to fu*k off. Everyone knows Reno is a parrot, right now I think Reno is jobless.
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Nobody: 9:10am On May 09, 2019
SarkinYarki:
over 116 people have won the Nobel prize for literature including Bob Dylan the country musician !!!! so Wole Soyinka should stop disturbing like he is the first and last person to win it ..Its not a that much of a big deal jare

Been the 1st to achieve anything in life is a big deal, soyinka as stamped his footprint on the sands of time..if its no big deal do your own

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by madridsta007(m): 9:11am On May 09, 2019
SLAP44:
In the end, Soyinka spoke so many words and ended up saying nothing in response to the issues raised.

Such an evasive character is not worthy of even the readers digest author of the week award.

That wasn’t WS.

WS isn’t on Twitter. He has said this many times.

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Ijawwomaninoyo: 9:13am On May 09, 2019
gbosaa:

I didn’t expect you to join these gang to disrespect Soyinka. Achebe and Soyinka are legends. Every Nigerian and anyone opportune to have read their works should be pleased.Reno Omokri descended so low by that tweet. I think he has lost it. I should question his intention to write such nonsense. That was very childish and silly.

I didn’t expect Soyinka to reply him either. Such stupidity are better ignored.

Soyinka is not on Twitter. It is a fake account

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by frankmoney(m): 9:14am On May 09, 2019
dreamangel:

And the rubbish you wrote?
let me just ignore this buffoon
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Nobody: 9:14am On May 09, 2019
Soyinka is waaay better but Achebe knows a good story

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by BluntBoy(m): 9:15am On May 09, 2019
aribisala0:
They are not critiquing the process but the outcome because they do not like it. If Achebe had won it we would be hearing a different narrative .The truth is the Prize is awarded annually and although Wole Soyinka was the first African at least one more has won it but Achebe was never even nominated. All these years he could still have won it if he had anything worthwhile
He is not even as good as Ben Okri or Ngugi
Coca cola is very popular that does not make it good or better than orange juice. It is probably the most popular drink in the world.
So what?

I would pick Cyprian Ekwensi before Achebe anytime any day.

Achebe was a master storyteller, no doubt. But saying he was better than Soyinka in literature is just taking the hype too far.

Literature goes beyond telling stories. It includes depth, and all. And when it comes to depth, there are many African writers that Achebe cannot even stand beside.

Things Fall Apart was not even that well-written, considering that for three chapters, the story seemed to be moving in a circle. I will choose his Arrow of God over Things Fall Apart over and over again.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Ijawwomaninoyo: 9:15am On May 09, 2019
ALLNIGERIANSMAD:
can you translate what wole wrote to English pls.

SOYINKA IS NOT ON TWITTER!
IT IS A FAKE ACCOUNT!
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Nobody: 9:16am On May 09, 2019
nineone:
Truth be told. Soyinka is one of the worst writers I've ever read their works. It beats my imagination how he was nominated for that prize and Achebe wasn't. There's no basis of comparison between them. And this reply is a great example of how bad a writer he is
Dude, kuli kuli is no food for toothless gums as Akpu is no baby formular; leave the riddle of Soyinka to your elders, Achebe will do for you.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by TheEminentLaity: 9:18am On May 09, 2019
'Buhari' and 'good governance' in a sentence cheesy cheesy such an oxymoron.
BuhariAdvocate:
undecided keep quiet so anyone supporting Buhari and good governance is from north?

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by beegameh(m): 9:18am On May 09, 2019
Reno I gat u but u no try on dis one....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Gorillacrew: 9:19am On May 09, 2019
For those that understand, this is always going to be a very hoy topic for centuries to come. It is an offshoot of 'John Milton vs Shakespeare' that has been an recurrent topic for debate in the English literati circle for donkey years. No one can take a thing away from the great Prof. Chinua Achebe but its a simple truth that it wasn't Prof. Wole Soyinka that denied him the Nobel prize. It would have been glorious to have both of them winning the honor but it did not happen and that is reality. That he wasn't awarded the prize does not diminish his influence, popularity and critical acclaim any day, any time. To think that the legendary Jay Jay Okocha, arguably the most skillful player from Africa ever, was not awarded the African Footballer of the year does not mean the greatest players that ever played the game, from Pele to Karembu, does regard him with great respect. What we see is what we get. Let's just learn to celebrate our own without necessarily putting others down.

3 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by SarkinYarki: 9:19am On May 09, 2019
ericsmith:

Been the 1st to achieve anything in life is a big deal, soyinka as stamped his footprint on the sands of time..if its no big deal do your own

I had no idea Soyinka was the first to win a nobel prize ooo
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by colestephan86: 9:20am On May 09, 2019
Osagyefo98:
Sincerely speaking, soyinka didn't write anything.

All his 55 pages book is nothing but trash.
you won't understand cos your English is very poor, thanks to your teacher .

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by bayulll011(m): 9:20am On May 09, 2019
SLAP44:
In the end, Soyinka spoke so many words and ended up saying nothing in response to the issues raised.

Such an evasive character is not worthy of even the readers digest author of the week award.

and he will descend so low to reply low achiever who is a nonentity and unfortunate to collected lots of money and came out with MY TRANSITION.

Useless people everywhere

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by FirePower1(m): 9:21am On May 09, 2019
StOla:
Why do people fail to learn that literature is not about Prose alone.

The 3 genres of literature are Prose(Novel), Drama(Play), and Poetry.

While Soyinka ticks the box in all, Achebe ticks only the Prose box.

While Soyinka is an acclaimed Playwright and Poet, Achebe is an acclaimed Novelist.

Soyinka won the Nobel for the dual reason of Drama and Poetry, and this much reason was stated in his award justification, as the reason for all other awardees are stated.

So why are people comparing an apple to an orange when the award for best fruit was given to an orange on the basis that for that years consideration, the sweetest orange was the decider?

Good and informed analysis, I am sure Reno will agree with you if he sees this. He was just asking a question to which I think you have given a sufficient answer. The Wole Shoyinka's response mixed with a pint of insult is understandable as he is the primary target of the poisonous nugget.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by SarkinYarki: 9:21am On May 09, 2019
goslowgoslow:

You must be another guy on weed. How is or has Wole Soyinka disturbed you after winning Nobel price?

everyday every day some people will not allow us hear word because of one relic award one man won 30 something years ago !!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by BABSSSOO(m): 9:24am On May 09, 2019
SarkinYarki:
over 116 people have won the Nobel prize for literature including Bob Dylan the country musician !!!! so Wole Soyinka should stop disturbing like he is the first and last person to win it ..Its not a that much of a big deal jare
how many your papa collect? I dey wait for your answer

3 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Banter1(m): 9:26am On May 09, 2019
SarkinYarki:
What are you saying?
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by aribisala0(m): 9:26am On May 09, 2019
BluntBoy:

I would pick Cyprian Ekwensi before Achebe anytime any day.

Achebe was a master storyteller, no doubt. But saying he was better than Soyinka in literature is just taking the hype too far.

Literature goes beyond telling stories. It includes depth, and all. And when it comes to depth, there are many African writers that Achebe cannot even stand beside.

Things Fall Apart was not even that well-written, considering that for three chapters, the story seemed to be moving in a circle. I will choose his Arrow of God over Things Fall Apart over and over again.
The only thing Achebe has is he was the first.

He is average.
I do not agree that we was a master storyteller or that literature is about storytelling.
He was an average storyteller.

JK Rowling.James Hadley Chase,Robert Ludlum are great storytellers.
That is not what literary prizes are for
You are right,there are many many African writers and indeed Nigerians who are way better but he was the first and must be respected for that.
As a poet he was nothing to write home about especially when we consider Christopher Okigbo,Gabriel Okara,Okogbule Wonodi etc
|He should be compared with Ben Okri though and not Soyinka who is more of a playwright than a novelist .

7 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Jyde89: 9:26am On May 09, 2019
I'm sure the plaque or what ever Wole Soyinka was given is still somewhere in is house, Reno Oh mockery can lead some Ipob youth on an espionage mission to retrieve it and place it on Achebe's grave grin grin grin make we hear word biko.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by SarkinYarki: 9:28am On May 09, 2019
Banter1:
What are you saying?
I am saying we are tired of hearing of Wole Soyinkas relic prize that is older than most in this forum . apart from Wole Soyinka which other Nobel literature winner do you know?
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Bridget95(f): 9:29am On May 09, 2019
Ijawwomaninoyo:

His father is from where?
He is more of a bastard dragging elders from his mother's land!
His father is itshekiri which is a sub Yoruba ethnic group in delta state,yet he reasons above ethnic sentiments.
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by LazyGold(m): 9:33am On May 09, 2019
SarkinYarki:

I had no idea Soyinka was the first to win a nobel prize ooo

Soyinka was the first African to won a Nobel Laurette

3 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by abels(m): 9:35am On May 09, 2019
SarkinYarki:
did soyinka said it's a big deal?.there's no relationship between soyinkas reply and your comment now..guy read and repost your comment Abeg you

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by tobiasbeecher: 9:36am On May 09, 2019
BuhariAdvocate:
This useless Rino trying to foment trouble again.its an embarrassment to compare prof soyinka with that half baked achebe .
Bitterness and hate is your biggest problem. I wonder why you're causing a man who is 100 times better than your father. Quit the hate game, it reduces your life span

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (15) (Reply)

Mending Fences (romance) / PEMISIRE: ....a man's destiny / These 5 Books Helped Me The Most In Life. Let Me See Yours. By Ilegend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.