Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,723 members, 7,824,054 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:24 PM

DEPRESSION: What We Don't Know. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / DEPRESSION: What We Don't Know. (981 Views)

On Behalf Of All Men, Ladies Please Stop Doing This We Don't Like It (pic)). / "We Don't Follow Anything In Skirt": Lady Tells Okada Man To Sleep With Her / Nigerian Is The Reason Why We Don't Have iPhone 9 (PICTURES) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

DEPRESSION: What We Don't Know. by Nobody: 11:35pm On May 19, 2019
IT DIDN'T JUST START WITH A HEADLINE INVOLVING A BOTTLE OF SNIPER, OR A JUMP FROM 3RD MAINLAND BRIDGE, OR A BODY DANGLING FROM A CEILING FAN OR TREE BRANCH

There's so little we know about depression, so much ignorance on social media, that we fail to realize that an odd post, a seemingly harmless poll could actually be a suicide note. These are the little signs to watch out for, prevention is always better than cure

Depression is an illness like malaria or hypertension. As an illness, it is called clinical depression. Nobody "snaps out" of malaria or hypertension by sheer willpower. Why do we expect people to snap out of depression? Clinical depression is treated the same way malaria and hypertension is treated/managed, well almost.

Happiness and sadness are normal part of life. We are happy when good things happen and vice versa. So when salary is delayed and you're sad for a few days, but you become happy again when salary is paid, you were not depressed. You were just unhappy. And now you're happy.

That is NORMAL!

In clinical depression, there is actually an abnormality in the brain and the manifestation is persistent abnormality in the mood; in this case, low mood. It is an ILLNESS. When you're depressed, YOU NEED HELP! Not criticism. Not unkindness. Not blame. Not sarcasm.

In clinical depression, the affected person:
- is sad/has low mood most of the day, for weeks at a time, and the mood may remain low even with many happy events are happening around the person.
- often feels tired from within, and has no energy to carry out even the most basic of daily activities, for many weeks at a time.
- no longer enjoys what used to give him/her joy; no longer looks forward to pleasurable things.
- the person feels helpless, hopeless and worthless.

the affected person also experiences the following
- poor sleep; unrefreshing sleep; waking up way too early
- poor appetite
- weight loss
- seeing the future as bleak, hopeless
- think of suicide, plan suicide, attempt suicide or complete suicide

- poor concentration
- reduced libido; uninterested in sex
- avoid company, withdraw to self
- in extreme cases become mute.
- cry for no apparent reason,
- have a feeling of foreboding, of impending doom or catastrophe
- feeling guilty and begging relatives and random persons for forgiveness, often for trivial or non-existent shortcomings.
-neglect personal hygiene.

In clinical depression, a usually hardworking wife may stop taking interest in her appearance, stop taking care of her children, stop cooking, stop being interested in food or appear generally "lazy". A hardworking husband may stop being uninterested in work, or feel too tired at work or try to avoid work, or stop being interested in having sex.

Depression can affect adversely marital relationships, family relationships, work, education, interpersonal and social functioning.

Depression can make people withdraw from social interactions for many weeks, stop going to work, or even close down businesses.

One of the fatal outcomes of depression is suicide. Living becomes very hard and painful. Life is hopeless and meaningless. It is part of the illness. It is not something people "snap out" of. It is what people get help for!

Depression can be treated. There are different modalities of treatment. The goal is to restore the brain and the affected individuals to normal function. Treatment modalities include: drugs, psychological treatment and social treatment.

How can you help a depressed or suicidal person?
- even ordinary befriending helps
- support and encourage
- seek help from a mental health professional

- call suicide hotline: 08092106493 and 08062106493.
- avoid sarcasm, blame, thoughtlessness. It is human nature to want to respond this way. But one can train himself not to.
- every life is worth saving, including yours.
- a depressed person or a suicidal person has a health problem and they need HELP!.

END.

copied.
Re: DEPRESSION: What We Don't Know. by Dechymmytv(f): 11:39pm On May 19, 2019
Stop this suicide nonsense already, any body who writes suicide notes on social media should be arrested and prosecuted . I can see this thing is becoming a trend....

Please don't say I'm insensitive,the truth is that we all get depressed at some point in life,and as Nigerians we have been equipped to overcome it,all this new none sense is imported and should be shunned

2 Likes

Re: DEPRESSION: What We Don't Know. by Nobody: 11:43pm On May 19, 2019
Dechymmytv:
Stop this suicide nonsense already, any body who writes suicide notes on social media should be arrested and prosecuted . I can see this thing is becoming a trend....

Please don't say I'm insensitive,the truth is that we all get depressed at some point in life,and as Nigerians we have been equipped to overcome it,all this new none sense is imported and should be shunned
saying that someone should be arrested for depression is the same as saying someone should be arrested for malaria and gonorrhoea. We are using archaic laws from before independence which still states that someone who commits suicide should be arrested when our colonizers have ditched at law decades ago

You are insensitive. period.

2 Likes

Re: DEPRESSION: What We Don't Know. by Apos2kay(m): 12:04am On May 20, 2019
Lol, the truth is that they should know God and pray...
Re: DEPRESSION: What We Don't Know. by Nobody: 3:51pm On May 20, 2019
Apos2kay:
Lol, the truth is that they should know God and pray...
prayer!! for abnormalites of chemicals in the brain?

No oga, while it is good to believe in the power of positive affirmation, prayer alone doesn't work. it only makes the pastor put on a show for the congregation to watch.

people who suffer from clinical depression do not have full control of their mood and sometimes thoughts. Change your mindset

1 Like

Re: DEPRESSION: What We Don't Know. by Apos2kay(m): 9:19am On May 21, 2019
Change my mindset? Lol, if I may ask what causes depression?
funmisticqueen:
prayer!! for abnormalites of chemicals in the brain?

No oga, while it is good to believe in the power of positive affirmation, prayer alone doesn't work. it only makes the pastor put on a show for the congregation to watch.

people who suffer from clinical depression do not have full control of their mood and sometimes thoughts. Change your mindset
Re: DEPRESSION: What We Don't Know. by oboy81: 12:23am On Aug 13, 2019
funmisticqueen:
IT DIDN'T JUST START WITH A HEADLINE INVOLVING A BOTTLE OF SNIPER, OR A JUMP FROM 3RD MAINLAND BRIDGE, OR A BODY DANGLING FROM A CEILING FAN OR TREE BRANCH

There's so little we know about depression, so much ignorance on social media, that we fail to realize that an odd post, a seemingly harmless poll could actually be a suicide note. These are the little signs to watch out for, prevention is always better than cure

Depression is an illness like malaria or hypertension. As an illness, it is called clinical depression. Nobody "snaps out" of malaria or hypertension by sheer willpower. Why do we expect people to snap out of depression? Clinical depression is treated the same way malaria and hypertension is treated/managed, well almost.

Happiness and sadness are normal part of life. We are happy when good things happen and vice versa. So when salary is delayed and you're sad for a few days, but you become happy again when salary is paid, you were not depressed. You were just unhappy. And now you're happy.

That is NORMAL!

In clinical depression, there is actually an abnormality in the brain and the manifestation is persistent abnormality in the mood; in this case, low mood. It is an ILLNESS. When you're depressed, YOU NEED HELP! Not criticism. Not unkindness. Not blame. Not sarcasm.

- is sad/has low mood most of the day, for weeks at a time, and the mood may remain low even with many happy events are happening around the person.
- often feels tired from within, and has no energy to carry out even the most basic of daily activities, for many weeks at a time.
- no longer enjoys what used to give him/her joy; no longer looks forward to pleasurable things.

- poor appetite
- weight loss

- poor concentration
- feeling guilty and begging relatives and random persons for forgiveness, often for trivial or non-existent shortcomings.

In clinical depression, a usually hardworking wife may stop taking interest in her appearance, stop taking care of her children, stop cooking, stop being interested in food or appear generally "lazy". A hardworking husband may stop being uninterested in work, or feel too tired at work or try to avoid work, or stop being interested in having sex.

Depression can affect adversely marital relationships, family relationships, work, education, interpersonal and social functioning.

Depression can make people withdraw from social interactions for many weeks, stop going to work, or even close down businesses.

One of the fatal outcomes of depression is suicide. Living becomes very hard and painful. Life is hopeless and meaningless. It is part of the illness. It is not something people "snap out" of. It is what people get help for!

Depression can be treated. There are different modalities of treatment. The goal is to restore the brain and the affected individuals to normal function. Treatment modalities include: drugs, psychological treatment and social treatment.

- support and encourage

- avoid sarcasm, blame, thoughtlessness. It is human nature to want to respond this way. But one can train himself not to.
- a depressed person or a suicidal person has a health problem and they need HELP!.

END.

copied.
Wow! Nice one ma’am
Re: DEPRESSION: What We Don't Know. by IamPlato(m): 1:08am On Aug 13, 2019
Women Have Sent More Men Into Depression...

The Last Thing I Will Have A Woman Do To me Is Put Me Into Depression because I Am Extremely Cautious about How I Handle Women Or Give Out Attention. I Am Presently At A Vigil with A Couple Of Female Friends...

Some Of Them Seriously Like Me but I Still Act Less Concern; one Of Them Made A Guy Buy Her Things To eat Which Brought To Me So We Can Eat it Together; I Am Not Her Boyfriend

I Had Two Of Them Buy Me Something To Eat by Just Telling Them I Want To Eat This Or that. They Just Walked Into The Church And Brought Money...

Depression Affects Not Just The Victims But The Close Ones, I Remember A Friend Who Committed Suicide Because Of A Girl, for Days I Kept Seeing Him In Dreams

90% Of Nairaland Guys Are Grateful To Ubunja and Harddon, who Have Both Done Well In Emancipating them From Mental Slavery.

The Truth Is Many Guys Will Still Remain Loyal To Women and Till The End Of Days ladies Will Continue To Hunger And Taste For Attention & men will giv

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: DEPRESSION: What We Don't Know. by Nobody: 8:34am On Aug 13, 2019
Dechymmytv:

You're just plainly ignorant and uneducated. Pls for the sake of your unborn, read this piece it just put all my thoughts on depression into words, u may be transferring some good genes to your kids. It will be a disaster to have those little innocents come out just the way you are.
Re: DEPRESSION: What We Don't Know. by Nobody: 8:36am On Aug 13, 2019
funmisticqueen:

That is NORMAL!

- poor appetite
- weight loss

- poor concentration

- support and encourage

END.

copied.

First step is using tricyclic antidepressant medications. It just starts by tweaking the brain chemistry, restore serotonin levels and make patient feel good. Your writing missed that part.

This is followed by behavioural therapies.

Nice piece.
Re: DEPRESSION: What We Don't Know. by millionboi2: 8:38am On Aug 13, 2019
Dechymmytv:

u are beauty with brain .......I'm fallin

1 Like

Re: DEPRESSION: What We Don't Know. by Nobody: 9:34am On Aug 13, 2019
DrObiHogan:

First step is using tricyclic antidepressant medications. It just starts by tweaking the brain chemistry, restore serotonin levels and make patient feel good. Your writing missed that part.

Nice piece.
I disagree, the first step is actually to seek help from a professional who can then recommend a tricyclic antidepressant for you and behavioral therapy. The purpose of this post was to educate the masses on identifying depression and how they can offer assistance

I am very wary of recommending drugs in public forums like this. People can twist your words around or go and abuse TCAs without knowing what is wrong with them, for all we know the person may be bipolar. TCAs are not for everyone.
Re: DEPRESSION: What We Don't Know. by lincsnuel: 10:13am On Aug 13, 2019
Depression is real. I have been there... But people just don't understand you especially in Nigeria. They rather insult you or talk trash about the situation.

Involving religious people is not always a good idea cos they are not trained to handle depressed people, so they do what they know how to do best: pray.

2 Likes

Re: DEPRESSION: What We Don't Know. by Nobody: 10:50am On Aug 13, 2019
funmisticqueen:
I disagree, the first step is actually to seek help from a professional who can then recommend a tricyclic antidepressant for you and behavioral therapy. The purpose of this post was to educate the masses on identifying depression and how they can offer assistance

I am very wary of recommending drugs in public forums like this. People can twist your words around or go and abuse TCAs without knowing what is wrong with them, for all we know the person may be bipolar. TCAs are not for everyone.

Of course it's a prescription drug. I'm talking from a professional's point of view. TCA is always the first point of call in depression, major depressive disorder, clinical depression etc.

1 Like

Re: DEPRESSION: What We Don't Know. by RxTreasure: 11:16am On Aug 13, 2019
DrObiHogan:

Nice piece.
are you a psychologist?
Re: DEPRESSION: What We Don't Know. by Nobody: 11:20pm On Aug 13, 2019
Dechymmytv:

was about committing suicide but I set my eyes on your picture and wow!! fvck suicide, I love women.

baby you fine. kisses*

1 Like

Re: DEPRESSION: What We Don't Know. by Nobody: 11:26pm On Aug 13, 2019
Ive attempted suicide countless times. That i have grown a fascination with death
thanks funmisticqueen

1 Like

Re: DEPRESSION: What We Don't Know. by Nobody: 11:33pm On Aug 13, 2019
Blackivy27:
Ive attempted suicide countless times. That i have grown a fascination with death
thanks funmisticqueen
uwc

(1) (Reply)

Ghanas Former Deputy Minister Sleeping With Tailor Leak By Friend / Why Sue Her If You No Rape Her / Can You Get Married To The Ex Of Your Two Friends With A Baby For One Of Them.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.