Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,604 members, 7,812,975 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:50 AM

Mercedes Benz Thread - Car Talk (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mercedes Benz Thread (966855 Views)

Photo: Mercedes Benz Vs Audi / Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto / The Life Cycle Of The Mercedes Benz ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (546) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ziccoit: 6:00am On Mar 14, 2013
Trac: Hansen,

On the contrary, I did not get you wrong. I perfectly understood you. Truthfully, I was only sharing a philosophy with you. This also is not to put you down or smear your intelligence: your solution to the problem is wrong. The areas you pointed out have nothing to do with what's going on. I know because I am talking from experience. Fuel pump relay and OVP! The car will NOT start. A bad fuel pump relay will initiate pre-starting operations and the engine will not turn. A bad OVP and car will not start at all. Same with the crank sensor. The problem is from the wiring harness incorrectly laced and certain procedures omitted not any that you have listed. If he is not careful, he will damage the ignition system and that will be very costly; in addition to many other units. The throttle body with the cruise-control assembly is what I would be worried about because that is a lot of money and mightn't be worth replacing (depending on the condition of the vehicle). If the harness was correctly fitted, smooth drivability should have been restored but the opposite was the result. The case got worse. On the other hand, if all was done well and the problem mentioned remains, it should take him no more than 25 minutes with a screwdriver; no jacking up of anything and no wrenches would be used. The check engine light shouldn't be cleared for it will clear itself. But this is rarely the case. Frankly, the situation will not change till the wiring loom has been addressed. This is an advance repair and many factors have to be considered in this kind of a repair. I'm not quoting from anyone but from experience working on cars. Neither am I a novice.

Your background is good; however you don't have an automotive background. Systems engineering cannot cross-over to automotive. Believe me, the science is deep (not mainstream at all), advanced math and stringent tolerances (approaches etc). I have a strong mechanical and automotive background (I will skip the details). For this reason, the "googlers" find my responses puzzling. So, I have been trained and also educated. I still make use of an automotive engineer for certain repairs and sometimes a mechanic because it is what they do for a living plus shop management is at their disposal; the job is done in a short period of time than hours that I do not have. Areas of specialty is important; this is where a professional outperforms you.

Diagnosis: how do you diagnose a system that you don't fully understand? From the above (the post before your last reply), a lot was spoken; besides being disjointed. Before working on any car, knowledge of how the car "thinks" and a basic understanding of every single sensor in the engine bay. If you understand MB's fuel loop cycle, your blunt answer would to get another mechanic. Anybody can "fix" a car; it's easy (as long as you can turn a wrench). Diagnosing and working with understanding is another subject matter. The weeds are separated from the grass at this "junction."

There are knowledgeable mechanics in Africa. They are just expensive. Nigerians will not pay extra for what they deem worth. A professional is still a professional. I can tell you first hand that I know a Nigerian automotive engineer and he is very knowledgeable about German cars but he is expensive. He guarantees his services and uses only genuine OEM. There are others like him but everyone wants cheap services.

Let me advice you: the cam positioning sensor on many Mercedes should not be touched at all. If you test and it proves to have failed, advance repair is needed as soon as possible which will require the engine to be disassembled. This isn't prominent to the C Class you drive. Nevertheless, the rule still applies. This is with Mercedes.

Secondly, leave the OVP alone. There are certain tests for that. It is meant for qualified professionals to diagnose that. When you have an OVP problem, chances are you may never know it is the OVP. A car with OVP related problems will not be spending the night with its owner. Diagnosing is not easy in this situation and in my opinion, very clumsy (if service is to be excellent). Do not disturb it as well, it is very fragile and it is air sealed. The ECU's never go bad. As a systems engineer, you are familiar with PLC's and their inherent capabilities (that should say it all). Certain things will give itself up at the expense of the ECU.

On newer Benzes, hard-coding is requires for certain replacements.

Note: This is a scripted text. Your person was not debased. If the text does seem to appear otherwise from cordial, re-read it from a different perspective.

@Trac, your post made me about to reconsider the thought of purchasing a mercedes benz- C180 W202 sport. Seems Nigeria is bereft of good MB handlers and if available not ubiquitous.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by matson: 9:05pm On Mar 14, 2013
After ready every single post on this thread, I finally concluded my purchase of a c240, 2003 model.

I'd like to know what I should expect, when to do my first service etc.

Already, I have a faulty alternator. What's d best replacement.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Trac: 7:28am On Mar 15, 2013
ziccoit:

@Trac, your post made me about to reconsider the thought of purchasing a mercedes benz- C180 W202 sport. Seems Nigeria is bereft of good MB handlers and if available not ubiquitous.

Owning a car without thoughts of how it will be maintained is unwise. These cars are good and have a lot to be appreciated for. However, if availability of parts and questionable maintenance service is what the deal is, to what good is it?

My parents ended their ownership of MB's after 2003. Their philosophy is that if no one can service it, there is no point in ownership.

Though I have never seen a C180, I don't believe there is a sport variant.

matson: After ready every single post on this thread, I finally concluded my purchase of a c240, 2003 model.

I'd like to know what I should expect, when to do my first service etc.

Already, I have a faulty alternator. What's d best replacement.

Take it to your mechanic and request a P.P.I (post-purchase-inspection). A competent mechanic will do the job for you. The best replacement for the alternator is the one made by Mercedes Benz. It should have the star logo on it.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ziccoit: 7:38am On Mar 15, 2013
Trac:

Owning a car without thoughts of how it will be maintained is unwise. These cars are good and have a lot to be appreciated for. However, if availability of parts and questionable maintenance service is what the deal is, to what good is it?

My parents ended their ownership of MB's after 2003. Their philosophy is that if no one can service it, there is no point in ownership.

@Trac, there is sport trim. Watch this video;

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=GgJWwBTNeGo&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DGgJWwBTNeGo
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 7:53am On Mar 15, 2013
w202's are lovely rides maintenance minimal so WTH! angry? find a place in ASIA, German rides not meant for the fainthearted.

ziccoit:

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by matson: 1:10pm On Mar 15, 2013
Trac:
Take it to your mechanic and request a P.P.I (post-purchase-inspection). A competent mechanic will do the job for you. The best replacement for the alternator is the one made by Mercedes Benz. It should have the star logo on it.

Thanks, I'd do that this weekend. It ought to be delivered to me today. Was told about the alternator which was replaced in Lagos. Id have it checked out if it has the star sign. Anything else to look out for?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ziccoit: 4:02pm On Mar 15, 2013
Trac:

smartchoice: w202's are lovely rides maintenance minimal so WTH! angry? find a place in ASIA, German rides not meant for the fainthearted.

@smartchoice na fight? Ok. Compare the two comments above and tell me which is matured and informative? By their talks you shall know them.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 7:58pm On Mar 15, 2013
angry

ziccoit:

@smartchoice na fight? Ok. Compare the two comments above and tell me which is matured and informative? By their talks you shall know them.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by aikerism(m): 6:02pm On Mar 16, 2013
I bought a w202 c200 elegance last december,and the ride is serving me till today, no problems n its very very quick off the blocks. My respect stands for this germans! My qualms right now is dat I have noticed increased noise in d cabin when I put the pedal to d metal, it will be running smoothly but when I go lower n it raises the speed, the noise drowns my music and I need to take my feet off the accelerator a bit to hear my self.it wasn't like this before... What can I do to correct this? This is d car in question... My 2nd wife wink

Still waiting for any solution from the Guru's in da house. MB for ever!

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Trac: 3:59am On Mar 18, 2013
ziccoit:

@Trac, there is sport trim. Watch this video;

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=GgJWwBTNeGo&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DGgJWwBTNeGo

Thanks for the video. However, that is not a sport trimmed vehicle. It is also not an AMG. Those are the kinds that you should avoid if you are to spend good money.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 11:00am On Mar 18, 2013
ziccoit:

Ziccoit,i believe, there are facts that makes you like the benz? if you love something, there is always a work around it ..Just discover the ride first of all,then study it , you would be surprised at how cheap and easy it could be to maintain..You'll be happy that you know your ride with your finger tips. and you wont be afraid of its disappointing you on the road if you did your homework well, otherwise wise there'll be no need going for it. Anyways, that is my own opinion,i beg to differ cos i cant find myself settle for a ride i don't like.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by matson: 6:52am On Mar 19, 2013
The alternator checked out fine. Had to refill the refrigerant for the AC too, and was shocked to see "Battery Under Voltage, Turn consumers off" warning. This was when AUTO button of the air con is pressed. Had to manually adjust the fan speed and everything seems to work out just fine.

I'd like to know what the normal operating temperature for this car is, cos it runs at 98^F with out the air con and around 120^F with the Air con.

Need to get coolant as well, any suggestions on the best brand/preferred available in Abuja?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Trac: 3:06am On Mar 20, 2013
matson: The alternator checked out fine. Had to refill the refrigerant for the AC too, and was shocked to see "Battery Under Voltage, Turn consumers off" warning. This was when AUTO button of the air con is pressed. Had to manually adjust the fan speed and everything seems to work out just fine.

I'd like to know what the normal operating temperature for this car is, cos it runs at 98^F with out the air con and around 120^F with the Air con.

Need to get coolant as well, any suggestions on the best brand/preferred available in Abuja?

I want to believe that you mean degC and not degF. If that's what you meant (hopefully), there is something not truly right about the whole setup. Find a mechanic that works on German cars.

The other phase of your problem (including Seun's, if the problem re-occurred after the reset) is the voltage regulator. I'm sure on Seun's case and unsure about yours. Find another mechanic. The component is coupled in the alternator or around it. This component is cheap. Don't buy another alternator. The second possibility is your electrical system. It is not right. Before replacing any part or alternator related component, get your electricals configured correctly. If your configuration is wrong, there is no point fixing anything because it still wouldn't run right. Your problem might only be that you have to restore the vehicle to factory specifications.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 7:27am On Mar 21, 2013
which merc model is this?

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ziccoit: 7:40am On Mar 21, 2013
smartchoice: which merc model is this?

Baddest German machine.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 7:55am On Mar 21, 2013
The Name please?

ziccoit:

Baddest German machine.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Trac: 8:28am On Mar 22, 2013
aikerism: I bought a w202 c200 elegance last december,and the ride is serving me till today, no problems n its very very quick off the blocks. My respect stands for this germans! My qualms right now is dat I have noticed increased noise in d cabin when I put the pedal to d metal, it will be running smoothly but when I go lower n it raises the speed, the noise drowns my music and I need to take my feet off the accelerator a bit to hear my self.it wasn't like this before... What can I do to correct this? This is d car in question... My 2nd wife wink

Still waiting for any solution from the Guru's in da house. MB for ever!

This cannot be resolved online. A mechanic onsite can only conclude on what's going on. Any hypothesis will just be a waste.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by playboy19(m): 6:33pm On Mar 22, 2013
smartchoice: The Name please?

Thats the 2014 Mercedes Benz S-Class
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by playboy19(m): 6:35pm On Mar 22, 2013
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 6:54am On Mar 23, 2013
YOU JUST WON ONE! grin

playboy19:

Thats the 2014 Mercedes Benz S-Class
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 2:51am On Mar 30, 2013
smartchoice: which merc model is this?

This is 2014 s class Benz

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 9:02pm On Mar 30, 2013
kuntash:

Just as I explained in my last post, the module that kicks the fan and regulates its speed is right in front of the driver's side of the front Tyre. about 5 separate wires socket hooking onto the module.

Hello Kuntash, it looks like you have what i have been looking for all these while? Your engine architecture is similar to mine, pls kindly show me the picture of this stated module above in your engine, so that i can use it to trace mine and return my fan as well back to factory connection? Thanks.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 6:51am On Mar 31, 2013
WHO THE HECK N WTF IS THE MOD HIDING POSTS ON THIS THREAD? shocked, PLS LEAVE MB POSTS THE HELL ALONE angry! N GET BUSSY WHERE YOU ARE NEEDED!
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Goalbam: 3:32am On Apr 01, 2013
Pls i want to know d location of engine number of ML 320 recently acquired
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by jahjehova(m): 2:07pm On Apr 04, 2013
jahjehova:
my broda. Gud am. I'd also appreciate the service manual. Plz send to deleonipede@gmail.com. D one I av is german. I want 2 avoid any roadside mecho visit. Tanx bro.

Gud day bro. I am yet to get d manual from U o
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by jahjehova(m): 2:30pm On Apr 04, 2013
@all: Pls I need help

I travelled to abuja where I changed my brakepads 4 d four wheels. As I was coming back, I noticed d brake pedal vibrated as I steped on it. Immediately, the ETS & ABS lights came on, The speedometer failed, cruise control dosent work anymore. Scary part is dat d lights turn off attimes but then come back on.

One mecho says its d master brake. NUEL autos say its d wheel speed sensor. Please any idea from the house?

I help ASAP. Cant imagine driving without traction control and ABS.

Service manual and owners manual also needed. Mine is german. Tanx.

I can be reached at
deleonipede@gmail.com
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 1:23pm On Apr 05, 2013
jahjehova: @all: Pls I need help

I travelled to abuja where I changed my brakepads 4 d four wheels. As I was coming back, I noticed d brake pedal vibrated as I steped on it. Immediately, the ETS & ABS lights came on, The speedometer failed, cruise control dosent work anymore. Scary part is dat d lights turn off attimes but then come back on.

One mecho says its d master brake. NUEL autos say its d wheel speed sensor. Please any idea from the house?

I help ASAP. Cant imagine driving without traction control and ABS.

Service manual and owners manual also needed. Mine is german. Tanx.

I can be reached at
deleonipede@gmail.com

I have replied you here already https://www.nairaland.com/1087033/reliability-c180/4#15093571
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 5:22pm On Apr 05, 2013
please is it that the undisputable benz has a wonderful turning radius or am i always daydreaming once im behind the wheels of my V-ass! cool
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by pafestula(m): 7:09am On Apr 07, 2013
Hello my fellow Mercedes Benz users, am
also a freak to German Technologies, am
one of the fans to the manliness, I av
successfully used 2 Mercedes Benz in the
past... 190 E, 2001 model C Class, and
presently using 2009 E350, which I fondly
calls "WIZARD". With my outstanding
performances and output with Mecedes
Benz, one of my friend who is Jap auto
freak
is planning to join the Benz crew, which
he
is planning to give 1998 C Class 4
Cylinders (NIG USED) a
trial.
The questions now are:-
1. The one is planning to get has done
260,000 mileage... Any wrong signal with
that?
2. What are the possible pros and cons to
experience along the line with this
mileage?
3. The benz is well maintained by the
owner,
and he said N650k last price, though the
A/c
is working fine, auto transmission is still
good, the car has good regular service
history, pls NL is 650k good for the car?..
Please I want your views on this
questions,
before the payment next week, he took
me
to see the car, I dont want him to regret,
or
say I advised him wrongly. Thanks.. Keep
the
comments coming please.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 9:04am On Apr 08, 2013
answered you on
https://www.nairaland.com/1087033/reliability-c180/4#15133581

pafestula: Hello my fellow Mercedes Benz users, am
also a freak to German Technologies, am
one of the fans to the manliness, I av
successfully used 2 Mercedes Benz in the
past... 190 E, 2001 model C Class, and
presently using 2009 E350, which I fondly
calls "WIZARD". With my outstanding
performances and output with Mecedes
Benz, one of my friend who is Jap auto
freak
is planning to join the Benz crew, which
he
is planning to give 1998 C Class 4
Cylinders (NIG USED) a
trial.
The questions now are:-
1. The one is planning to get has done
260,000 mileage... Any wrong signal with
that?
2. What are the possible pros and cons to
experience along the line with this
mileage?
3. The benz is well maintained by the
owner,
and he said N650k last price, though the
A/c
is working fine, auto transmission is still
good, the car has good regular service
history, pls NL is 650k good for the car?..
Please I want your views on this
questions,
before the payment next week, he took
me
to see the car, I dont want him to regret,
or
say I advised him wrongly. Thanks.. Keep
the
comments coming please.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gabrinoz: 6:35pm On Apr 24, 2013
Pls I need info on ML320 fuel comsumption and durability

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (546) (Reply)

Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.