Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,573 members, 7,812,861 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:52 PM

Mercedes Benz Thread - Car Talk (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mercedes Benz Thread (966803 Views)

Photo: Mercedes Benz Vs Audi / Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto / The Life Cycle Of The Mercedes Benz ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (546) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 12:00am On May 22, 2013
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Ikenna351(m): 12:17am On May 22, 2013
au.hanson:
Sometimes, this can be fuel pump issues, because it does too much work to pump the fuel when the fuel is low. You can observe the power of your pump by uninstalling it and testing the pump pressure with the terminals of the car battery to confirm if it is pumping high or low. Secondly it could still be an electrical issue around the fuel pump relay socket at the boot, if it were w202(i am not sure of w203). If it were w202, this is what you would have done:
Because of the much needed pressure at quatre tank, it may be having failing or partial contact, to test this , connect a wire to the first hole by the right of the fuel pump relay socket(usually no connectors goes through the fuel pump realay to this hole) and extend the wire to the positive head of your car battery, fix back the fuel pump relay to sit on the wire too. Start your motto and drive extensively at low tank and observe if it will cut off again. Good luck

I dont know much about Benz injection systems, but i do know that the symptom the Tommysparks car is having sounds like Fuel starvation issue,usually caused by failed intank fuel pump, for cars with two fuel pumps: intank pump and main (external) pump. When an intank pump fails, the fuel will be cutting off when fuel goes below half tank.

I wouldnt know if Benz or that particular C -class has intank pump, but i would check if it does, if i were tommysparks. And if there is intank pump in the tank, i would simply replace it without carrying out any other test, because thats the symptom of failed intank pump. But if it doesnt have intank pump except the main or external pump, then....

Please, note that its dangerous to test intank pump outside the tank. It could explode. Its also designed to run inside fluid (fuel), which acts as a lubricant for the pump or cools it too.

Like i said, i dont know much about Benz, but tommysparks car is having fuel starvation issue, and the culprit is usually intank pump, for injection system with intank and main pumps.

Ikenna.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 3:22am On May 22, 2013
If it's a C class then the suspect is probably in the electric aspects. Check the lines that distribute electric current from the battery to the ecu. Then make sure they're no partial contact along the lines. When your car cuts off check the fuel pump relay wires for any sign of failure. And also try to talk to Chibuzor if you're based in Lagos, infraction that maybe your best option cos he's. GOOD and straight. His no is on this thread.
tommysparks: Hello benz users, I use a C240 W203
My problem is dat d fuel cuts at 1/4 tank I have to refill d tank before d car starts. D car was jerking my mech checked d fuel filter it was filled wit dirt so I changed it and had him wash d fuel tank now d jerking has stopped but d fuel now cuts and d car won't start when it gets to 1/4 tank. Pls anyone with such experience should tell me how he solved his own cos I want to minimise trial and error from our local mechs cos once they touch ur car wit guess work its always one problem to another.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 9:53am On May 28, 2013
Ikenna351:

I dont know much about Benz injection systems, but i do know that the symptom the Tommysparks car is having sounds like Fuel starvation issue,usually caused by failed intank fuel pump, for cars with two fuel pumps: intank pump and main (external) pump. When an intank pump fails, the fuel will be cutting off when fuel goes below half tank.

I wouldnt know if Benz or that particular C -class has intank pump, but i would check if it does, if i were tommysparks. And if there is intank pump in the tank, i would simply replace it without carrying out any other test, because thats the symptom of failed intank pump. But if it doesnt have intank pump except the main or external pump, then....

Please, note that its dangerous to test intank pump outside the tank. It could explode. Its also designed to run inside fluid (fuel), which acts as a lubricant for the pump or cools it too.

Like i said, i dont know much about Benz, but tommysparks car is having fuel starvation issue, and the culprit is usually intank pump, for injection system with intank and main pumps.

Ikenna.

Sure Ikenna, you are right if it were cars like Toyota Camry,Rovers etc that has it fuel pump in the fuel tank; my friend who owns a Rover had this issue too, but i am yet to know of a Benz with an intank fuel pump. A friend with w202 Benz c280 had this issue overtime and was so worried because his fuel gauge wasnt even working too. He came to me lamenting:I told him not to worry, We decided to test out the fuel pump and the fuel pump relay on quarter tank fuel, everything worked fine. The lines were then traced, the culprit here was the line from the fuel pump relay socket that had a wound and was giving partial contact, though that may not be the case here anyway;

Maybe His fuel pump may be on its way out , if it finds it difficult to start again afterwards. Also,finding it difficult to take low fuel unless refilling the tank(it has to work harder with low fuel, this may be difficult for a weak pump, but at full tank, the added weight of the fuel will help it pump better)..Remember the very fact that you change the dirty filter and tank.. may have already put a lot of pressure(overworked) on your fuel pump before now.The pump could be tested to ascertain this part too as stated earlier above, or you just outrightly replace the pump and keep this as spare or backup in your boot, but make sure you oil(pour some engine oil into it)it well while keeping as spare and observe the situation again.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 7:22pm On May 28, 2013
got me a W202 2000 C230kompressor, its a brillient car. Before the check engine lights came on it was superb. I once did 237kmp on a strech 2 abuja from kaduna. But lately I notice a delay in trottle respons have tried several mech with diagnostic machine no one seems to know the fault I even strogle to go pass 180kmp lately. Please any 1 knows somthing abt this or a good mech to help fix this fault.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by sultaan(m): 9:03pm On May 28, 2013
Gee2728: got me a W202 2000 C230kompressor, its a brillient car. Before the check engine lights came on it was superb. I once did 237kmp on a strech 2 abuja from kaduna. But lately I notice a delay in trottle respons have tried several mech with diagnostic machine no one seems to know the fault I even strogle to go pass 180kmp lately. Please any 1 knows somthing abt this or a good mech to help fix this fault.

Air filter, and or spark plugs, and or fuel rating
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 9:04pm On May 28, 2013
Gee2728: got me a W202 2000 C230kompressor, its a brillient car. Before the check engine lights came on it was superb. I once did 237kmp on a strech 2 abuja from kaduna. But lately I notice a delay in trottle respons have tried several mech with diagnostic machine no one seems to know the fault I even strogle to go pass 180kmp lately. Please any 1 knows somthing abt this or a good mech to help fix this fault.
Have you tried a Star diagnostic machine?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by aikerism(m): 9:36am On May 29, 2013
Gee2728: got me a W202 2000 C230kompressor, its a brillient car. Before the check engine lights came on it was superb. I once did 237kmp on a strech 2 abuja from kaduna. But lately I notice a delay in trottle respons have tried several mech with diagnostic machine no one seems to know the fault I even strogle to go pass 180kmp lately. Please any 1 knows somthing abt this or a good mech to help fix
this fault.

Well diagnosis is ur best bet to finding d fault so there won't be room for guess work... And pls bro your right foot is a lil heavy I see, for the love of God take it easy with all that speed.be safe. Cheers wink
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by xerotop(m): 10:26am On May 29, 2013

God is purposely helping you with delayed trottle response, so u wont commit sucide.
please leave the car alone. but if u insist, go 4 a scan, but i suspect ur super charger. may be wearing out

4 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 12:16pm On May 29, 2013
xerotop:

God is purposely helping you with delayed trottle response, so u wont commit sucide.
please leave the car alone. but if u insist, go 4 a scan, but i suspect ur super charger. may be wearing out
tnx bro, the code is P1236-magnetic compressor clutch. But the supercharger seems 2 be working fine.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 12:19pm On May 29, 2013
aikerism:

Well diagnosis is ur best bet to finding d fault so there won't be room for guess work... And pls bro your right foot is a lil heavy I see, for the love of God take it easy with all that speed.be safe. Cheers wink
tnx bro I try 2 drive safe not endager other road user, I just need the car 2 be in top form when need for quick get away like in the case of overtaking.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 12:21pm On May 29, 2013
sultaan:

Air filter, and or spark plugs, and or fuel rating
done all that except for the fuel rating not sure what it is??
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 12:24pm On May 29, 2013
smartchoice:
Have you tried a Star diagnostic machine?
is it differnt from the other usual diagnostic machine the mech use? If it is wld want to buy one for myself cos some of this mech cnt be trusted...with all the diagnostic no one seems to be able 2 find a lasting solution its been abr 3months now.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 1:09pm On May 29, 2013
Gee2728: is it differnt from the other usual diagnostic machine the mech use? If it is wld want to buy one for myself cos some of this mech cnt be trusted...with all the diagnostic no one seems to be able 2 find a lasting solution its been abr 3months now.
Not just unique but designed specially for Mercedes.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 6:14pm On May 29, 2013
smartchoice:
Not just unique but designed specially for Mercedes.
so how do I get it
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by kuntash: 7:24pm On May 29, 2013

compressor it turbo charged, while not focus on the turbo area of that ride.... I am sure the 237km/h you got was assisted by this feature ...

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 8:05pm On May 29, 2013
I believe your machine isn't a manual tranny else i would have ask you to check your clutch. If it is auto tranny,which i beleive, i would confidently say that you should Check your kompressor system. Something is gradually going bad somewhere in that system, soon your engine sound will start getting louder:It may need a little attention. You could confirm this by comparing your fuel consumption then with now; and definitely you should notice a slight increase in your mpg and reduction in the sharpness of your performance(i'e quick acceleration); For instance, if you use to make 0-65mph in 8 secs, you will now be making same in 11 secs or more. i know that very few Nigerians effectively fix that,precisely one guy at Aba, but you will need to be on the queue cos he's really got much in his hand to handle since he is good at it..and he gives 4 yrs guarantee after fixing it.

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 8:25pm On May 29, 2013
Gee2728: so how do I get it
any standard auto shop should have it. But if you want it that bad try masquestonline.com they are based in Lagos.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 9:50pm On May 29, 2013
smartchoice:
any standard auto shop should have it. But if you want it that bad try masquestonline.com they are based in Lagos.
tnx buddy, will check them out.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 9:56pm On May 29, 2013
au.hanson:
I believe your machine isn't a manual tranny else i would have ask you to check your clutch. If it is auto tranny,which i beleive, i would confidently say that you should Check your kompressor system. Something is gradually going bad somewhere in that system, soon your engine sound will start getting louder:It may need a little attention. You could confirm this by comparing your fuel consumption then with now; and definitely you should notice a slight increase in your mpg and reduction in the sharpness of your performance(i'e quick acceleration); For instance, if you use to make 0-65mph in 8 secs, you will now be making same in 11 secs or more. i know that very few Nigerians effectively fix that,precisely one guy at Aba, but you will need to be on the queue cos he's really got much in his hand to handle since he is good at it..and he gives 4 yrs guarantee after fixing it.

ur spot on abt the engine noise, acceleration and fuel consumption. Its an auto shift and I got it scanned and code P1236 (magnetic compressor clutch) is that compressor fixable or straight replacement?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Trac: 3:38am On May 30, 2013
I'm going to sound odd and out-of-place but it is worth discussing/addressing. I am not anticipating an episode but caution. I've gone through the last two pages and [it] isn't too impressive. Diagnosing a vehicle is not something to be done online. In the last two pages, the hypothesis are off. One specifically given - for a relatively simple problem - completely off with an expensive solution. Another; a repair done that was completely unrelated but expensive. Mechanics are paid to do this, for it is their career and they possess all the resource needed to get the job done.

I don't despise humble beginnings; the very reason I don't go around putting inputs on threads, save for a few exceptions. Giving off solutions is not as reading a book. Maintaining a Mercedes is not cheap neither is it easy when certain tier of problems occur. It is also picky. What happens when the internet is shutdown? It puzzling how one owns a vehicle without a pre-determined considerations who the service-mechanics would be.

So far (from the last two pages) - all I can conclude is the race to eliminate symptoms without "fore-'cepts" of root-causes.

It's bad practice. It is not an opinion but reality. Some are far-back in maintenance that is becomes troubling to a third-party observer. I'm not being thread-specific regarding the last sentence but day-to-day reality. It's not just Benz but other vehicles. Many ought to budget money and fulfill appointments with a mechanic (garage). That should be promoted. This may seem like a the easier path out but motion does not mean progress.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by kuntash: 7:25am On May 30, 2013
Trac: I'm going to sound odd and out-of-place but it is worth discussing/addressing. I am not anticipating an episode but caution. I've gone through the last two pages and [it] isn't too impressive. Diagnosing a vehicle is not something to be done online. In the last two pages, the hypothesis are off. One specifically given - for a relatively simple problem - completely off with an expensive solution. Another; a repair done that was completely unrelated but expensive. Mechanics are paid to do this, for it is their career and they possess all the resource needed to get the job done.

I don't despise humble beginnings; the very reason I don't go around putting inputs on threads, save for a few exceptions. Giving off solutions is not as reading a book. Maintaining a Mercedes is not cheap neither is it easy when certain tier of problems occur. It is also picky. What happens when the internet is shutdown? It puzzling how one owns a vehicle without a pre-determined considerations who the service-mechanics would be.

So far (from the last two pages) - all I can conclude is the race to eliminate symptoms without "fore-'cepts" of root-causes.

It's bad practice. It is not an opinion but reality. Some are far-back in maintenance that is becomes troubling to a third-party observer. I'm not being thread-specific regarding the last sentence but day-to-day reality. It's not just Benz but other vehicles. Many ought to budget money and fulfill appointments with a mechanic (garage). That should be promoted. This may seem like a the easier path out but motion does not mean progress.

Good point... thanks as always!
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by sultaan(m): 8:39am On May 30, 2013
Gee2728: tnx bro, the code is P1236-magnetic compressor clutch. But the supercharger seems 2 be working fine.

Find a Mercedes forum online and search for that code, you are not the first to have it there will be suggestions for you to decide on
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 11:23am On May 30, 2013
Trac: I'm going to sound odd and out-of-place but it is worth discussing/addressing. I am not anticipating an episode but caution. I've gone through the last two pages and [it] isn't too impressive. Diagnosing a vehicle is not something to be done online. In the last two pages, the hypothesis are off. One specifically given - for a relatively simple problem - completely off with an expensive solution. Another; a repair done that was completely unrelated but expensive. Mechanics are paid to do this, for it is their career and they possess all the resource needed to get the job done.

why we put our issue here is to find ppl with similar experience and how they go abt solving it not because the internet is going to solve our car problem. Have been 2 digitzed top notch work shop and paid 20k for diagnostic only 2 be told it needed further diagonostic and with my experience searching on line some of this things one can actually do urself. The BAS lights for instance 99 perct of the time is caused by bad brake switch but the idiot changed almost 3 sets of brake pads b4 I got the solution on line.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Trac: 10:53pm On May 30, 2013
Gee2728: why we put our issue here is to find ppl with similar experience and how they go abt solving it not because the internet is going to solve our car problem. Have been 2 digitzed top notch work shop and paid 20k for diagnostic only 2 be told it needed further diagonostic and with my experience searching on line some of this things one can actually do urself. The BAS lights for instance 99 perct of the time is caused by bad brake switch but the idiot changed almost 3 sets of brake pads b4 I got the solution on line.

It may right but that only works in limited conditions. What is disturbing is that the root problems aren't addressed. Frankly, there is very little you can do by yourself without the proper tools. Buying a car that can be readily maintained is the better alternative than buying without the thoughts of maintenance. A mechanic that works on Benz will be very good in Benz. It's a different car and complex in composition. There are many precautions and post-cautions on the contemporary models that will discriminate the unexperienced.

There are Nigerians that can work on Benzes without remedial services. There is a reason why it is their jobs.

The E's (including CLS and CL) and the S's are the most expensive Benzes to own. I am referring to all the variants. Mercedes discloses limited information concerning these models. The rest of the line-up are fully disclosed. The mechanical information Mercedes releases are not understood by the layman or a person without professional understanding relating to Benzes. How does the internet fill that void? You need to question why "they" are on the internet with so much queries about a problem. Majority are leasing a vehicle but do not want to patronise the independent mechanic or dealer that will perform the required maintenance. I am sure the professionals are not disclosing valuable information because it will be unprofitable. Therefore, useless information abounds.

These are cars for qualified mechanics. It is not for amateurs. This is why many foreign purchased vehicle do not go two years in Nigeria. It's a duty for everyone to find a qualified mechanics; not resorting to the internet as life-support (maintenance).
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 5:35am On May 31, 2013
I REALLY DISAGREE WITH YOU ON THIS....FORUMS LIKE THIS ABOUND WORLD OVER, WHILE DIAGNOSIS CANT BE DONE ONLINE VALUABLE INFO CAN BE ACQUIRED AND NECESSARY CONTACTS ALSO.

Trac:

It may right but that only works in limited conditions. What is disturbing is that the root problems aren't addressed. Frankly, there is very little you can do by yourself without the proper tools. Buying a car that can be readily maintained is the better alternative than buying without the thoughts of maintenance. A mechanic that works on Benz will be very good in Benz. It's a different car and complex in composition. There are many precautions and post-cautions on the contemporary models that will discriminate the unexperienced.

There are Nigerians that can work on Benzes without remedial services. There is a reason why it is their jobs.

The E's (including CLS and CL) and the S's are the most expensive Benzes to own. I am referring to all the variants. Mercedes discloses limited information concerning these models. The rest of the line-up are fully disclosed. The mechanical information Mercedes releases are not understood by the layman or a person without professional understanding relating to Benzes. How does the internet fill that void? You need to question why "they" are on the internet with so much queries about a problem. Majority are leasing a vehicle but do not want to patronise the independent mechanic or dealer that will perform the required maintenance. I am sure the professionals are not disclosing valuable information because it will be unprofitable. Therefore, useless information abounds.

These are cars for qualified mechanics. It is not for amateurs. This is why many foreign purchased vehicle do not go two years in Nigeria. It's a duty for everyone to find a qualified mechanics; not resorting to the internet as life-support (maintenance).

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 7:29am On May 31, 2013
smartchoice: I REALLY DISAGREE WITH YOU ON THIS....FORUMS LIKE THIS ABOUND WORLD OVER, WHILE DIAGNOSIS CANT BE DONE ONLINE VALUABLE INFO CAN BE ACQUIRED AND NECESSARY CONTACTS ALSO.

that's y u are smartchoice,u are right on point. We put our issue here so as to find pple with similar experience so as to know what our mechanics will work on. Don't want any1 experimenting on my car I need 2 know a starting point so I agree with u all the way. Most of the info I find online are confirmed by mechanic I rly hate 2 take my car 2 the workshop blindfolded I like 2 have an idea on wat am dealing with.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 7:41am On May 31, 2013
@GEE call Chibuzor on 08037220897 he's a Benz technician in Lagos. Am sure he can work your car.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 2:11pm On May 31, 2013
smartchoice: @GEE call Chibuzor on 08037220897 he's a Benz technician in Lagos. Am sure he can work your car.
tnx my guy.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 2:17pm On May 31, 2013
What's ur fuel comsumption....I drive a W202 C230kompressor if am travelling I cld get up to about 342mile(547km) on a single tank(62liter) and abt 297mile(475.2km) when in town. Please my pple are this figures normal pls share ur experience because som1 said a running an oil field.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 8:06pm On May 31, 2013
Gee2728: What's ur fuel comsumption....I drive a W202 C230kompressor if am travelling I cld get up to about 342mile(547km) on a single tank(62liter) and abt 297mile(475.2km) when in town. Please my pple are this figures normal pls share ur experience because som1 said a running an oil field.
Have you called Chibuzor?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Trac: 6:30am On Jun 01, 2013
kuntash:

Good point... thanks as always!

-- long time! How is the overall performance of your C Class?

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (546) (Reply)

Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.