Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,308 members, 7,815,562 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:33 PM

Mercedes Benz Thread - Car Talk (338) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mercedes Benz Thread (967985 Views)

Photo: Mercedes Benz Vs Audi / Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto / The Life Cycle Of The Mercedes Benz ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (335) (336) (337) (338) (339) (340) (341) ... (546) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by loba18: 2:15pm On Apr 20, 2020
nakoks:

So he will be using price of parts to make choice? How many parts? You are the one confusing him.Coming here has already helped him.

I actually visited a friend here at surulere Benz markets to have an idea of some parts, like the engines, gears, SAM and underneath. He educated me on parts I may have to change often. Generally I discovered the c class has the cheaper parts. On my own, I love the e class interior. I have told my brother to check for a e320 that is not 4matic.

Thanks nakoks

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by loba18: 2:19pm On Apr 20, 2020
luxy44:

Visit ladipo (Ojekunle), ask for prices of the parts. Especially those modules. And make your decision. Coming here won't help you, they will confuse you.

Thanks, where is ojekunle?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Musty4ahmed1: 3:49pm On Apr 20, 2020
weyreypey:

Congratulations. Take time to love your Mercedes. The proposed car in question never dies. Just ensure it's rust free.
Sir, I got to know that the benz is C230 1998 model as against 1999 model the seller told me. Is their any difference between 1999 and this 1998 variant? Can I still buy?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by weyreypey: 4:14pm On Apr 20, 2020
Musty4ahmed1:
Sir, I got to know that the benz is C230 1998 model as against 1999 model the seller told me. Is their any difference between 1999 and this 1998 variant? Can I still buy?
Enjoy your ride.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Musty4ahmed1: 4:19pm On Apr 20, 2020
weyreypey:
Enjoy your ride.
Thank you sir. I sent a pm to you.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by loba18: 6:35pm On Apr 20, 2020
weyreypey:

Enjoy your ride.

Bros please what model of Mercedes do you drive and what is the experience like? I asked because I may want to opt for the model and feed from your knowledge and experience.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Teknireich(m): 6:52pm On Apr 20, 2020
Musty4ahmed1:

Bro..all you are looking for is in the VIN.

Get the VIN and do a search online. All details will show up. Nigerian car sellers can be deceptive especially with the W202's cos they dont want u to know how old the car is?

N.B: A W202 that is shipped from the USA with model year 1999...is actually a 1998 model manufactured in 1998 in Germany and shipped to the USA.

I dont think they had plants in the USA until like 2000. The merger with Chrysler was a major gain in this path.

2 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Musty4ahmed1: 7:02pm On Apr 20, 2020
Teknireich:

Bro..all you are looking for is in the VIN.

Get the VIN and do a search online. All details will show up. Nigerian car sellers can be deceptive especially with the W202's cos they dont want u to know how old the car is?

N.B: A W202 that is shipped from the USA with model year 1999...is actually a 1998 model manufactured in 1998 in Germany and shipped to the USA.

I dont think they had plants in the USA until like 2000. The merger with Chrysler was a major gain in this path.

Ok. Thank you!

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Teknireich(m): 7:06pm On Apr 20, 2020
Musty4ahmed1:

What should you be on the look out for?

* Please test drive the ride. Drive it enough to experience gear changes from 1 - 3. It's important.

* Watch the temperature gauge. You want the gauge to be at 90 - 95oC and the fan should pick up at this instance. The temperature rise should be swift too.

* When you power on the car, you DON'T want your fan to start immediately. If it does, then that's a red flag. The thermostat and coolant temperature sensor might have been disconnected, the engine must have been ran cold for as long as the seller has had it in Nigeria. There might be engine issues ahead.

* Test drive on rough roads to know how much you will incur on shocks and wishbones.

* Make sure you arrive when engine is cold, so you know if the seller has a defective MAF by being on the look out for the tachometer fluctuating rapidly b4 stabilizing.

* While test driving, watch the fuel gauge and check if it flunctuates. If it does then you will deal with a defective fuel sender unit later on.

* Check and make sure all dash lights are functional, all window controls too etc. Check for oil leaks. 4 cylinders can leak oil.

Some of these points will help you bargain a lower price, while some are pointers that you shouldn't buy it.

You can post the pics here....cos I think there are very few W202's that still look pristine in Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ibbabah: 7:46pm On Apr 20, 2020
Teknireich:

* Please test drive the ride. Drive it enough to experience gear changes from 1 - 3. It's important.

* Watch the temperature gauge. You want the gauge to be at 90 - 95oC and the fan should pick up at this instance. The temperature rise should be swift too.

* When you power on the car, you DON'T want your fan to start immediately. If it does, then that's a red flag. The thermostat and coolant temperature sensor might have been disconnected, the engine must have been ran cold for as long as the seller has had it in Nigeria. There might be engine issues ahead.

* Test drive on rough roads to know how much you will incur on shocks and wishbones.

* Make sure you arrive when engine is cold, so you know if the seller has a defective MAF by being on the look out for the tachometer fluctuating rapidly b4 stabilizing.

* While test driving, watch the fuel gauge and check if it flunctuates. If it does then you will deal with a defective fuel sender unit later on.

* Check and make sure all dash lights are functional, all window controls too etc. Check for oil leaks. 4 cylinders can leak oil.

Some of these points will help you bargain a lower price, while some are pointers that you shouldn't buy it.

You can post the pics here....cos I think there are very few W202's that still look pristine in Nigeria.

You have done well.
On the issue of VIN, some of the site will ask that u order for the full VIN report of the car, which is about some dollars. Without that, they will give u half report on the car. Please if u have a site that gives full VIN report u can post it here for us. Thank you.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Musty4ahmed1: 8:45pm On Apr 20, 2020
Teknireich:

Thank you, this is so helpful, I don't know anything you just stated above, but when I go with my mechanic I can refer him to look out for them.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by conductor260: 9:45pm On Apr 20, 2020
loba18:
Good evening all, kindly help me to fine tune my decision on this 2 cars, though same brand.
2003 Mercedes c320 and a 2005 Mercedes e320. I am a bachelor. I just want a good car without electrical issues. Which of the 2 cars is more reliable and cheap to maintain in terms of parts.
Run from anything Benzedes to avoid changing your storyline.

"I could have married in 2021 but she dumped me after aj used my house rent to replace engine so the landlord threw us out". cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by sacramento1212: 10:25pm On Apr 20, 2020
conductor260:

"I could have married in 2021 but she dumped me after aj used my house rent to replace engine so the landlord threw us out". cheesy

Must you always display your nuisance here?

5 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by loba18: 10:26pm On Apr 20, 2020
conductor260:

Funny you. To me, there's no bad car so far the parts are readily available at the local markets. Today I also learnt that 2003 to 2006 corrola engine and gear are more expensive than e320 2003 to 2005 engine and gear.

5 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Sunkaeme: 10:28pm On Apr 20, 2020
Good evening all,

Please I need your informed advice on this.
I want to go for Mercedes Benz ML350 2011.
Is there any particular issue with this model/year?

I look forward to your contributions.

Thank you all in advance.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by loba18: 10:30pm On Apr 20, 2020
Teknireich:

Though this is not directed to me but I learnt immensely from this. Thanks for sharing.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by okoligee: 10:36pm On Apr 20, 2020
I removed the two terminals of my c320 battery and touch them together for about five seconds then later connected the terminals to the battery. When I insert the ignition key and turned in on, I saw many signs on the display and the engine refused to start again. It will want to start and go off each time I want to start. Pls want do I do?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by okoligee: 10:41pm On Apr 20, 2020
Here it is

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by conductor260: 10:56pm On Apr 20, 2020
loba18:

Funny you. To me, there's no bad car so far the parts are readily available at the local markets. Today I also learnt that 2003 to 2006 corrola engine and gear are more expensive than e320 2003 to 2005 engine and gear.
The person that taught you that didn't tell complete the story.

The Benzedes may need engine replacement every few years that's why it's cheap but long after the Corolla body has mangled, disfigured and gone out of trend and the owner no longer knows what to do with it, the engine will still be bought by boat makers and factory operators to power their machines. Nobody really wants to change Corolla engine that's why its more expensive. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by loba18: 10:57pm On Apr 20, 2020
conductor260:

The Benzedes may need engine replacement every few years that's why it's cheap but long after the Corolla body has mangled, disfigured and gone out of trend and the owner no longer knows what to do with it, the engine will still be bought by boat makers and factory operators to power their machines. Nobody really wants to change Corolla engine that's why its more expensive. cheesy

Okay, thanks for your input.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by bimppyola: 10:58pm On Apr 20, 2020
ibbabah:

You have done well.
On the issue of VIN, some of the site will ask that u order for the full VIN report of the car, which is about some dollars. Without that, they will give u half report on the car. Please if u have a site that gives full VIN report u can post it here for us. Thank you.

https://verifyithq.com/services/vehicle-history-reports/

Eking:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by yungboss(m): 11:07pm On Apr 20, 2020
okoligee:
I removed the two terminals of my c320 battery and touch them together for about five seconds then later connected the terminals to the battery. When I insert the ignition key and turned in on, I saw many signs on the display and the engine refused to start again. It will want to start and go off each time I want to start. Pls want do I do?
But why would you do such? Have you checked the fuses?

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Fentanyl: 6:51am On Apr 21, 2020
[s]
bimppyola:

[/s]

this site is not free, they charge 2500 per vin check report

the poster you quoted is looking for free vin report check
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ibbabah: 8:49am On Apr 21, 2020
conductor260:

I disagree with u on this. All those using corolla that I came across have changed their engine. It might interest u to know that, some of my friends who use Benz haven’t changed their engines. Moreover not all Benz engines are cheap. Go price M271, M272 and above report back to us.

4 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by conductor260: 9:13am On Apr 21, 2020
ibbabah:

I disagree with u on this. All those using corolla that I came across have changed their engine. It might interest u to know that, some of my friends who use Benz haven’t changed their engines. Moreover not all Benz engines are cheap. Go price M271, M272 and above report back to us.

grin grin
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Alvin007: 10:22am On Apr 21, 2020
ibbabah:

I wonder why anyone would say a 1zz fe engine is more durable than a mercedes benz's engine coz the Merc's engine is cheaper.. Well, what do I even know?

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by shortgun(m): 11:41am On Apr 21, 2020
Some things are not just worth debating....
How can someone be comparing Mercedes M111 and M112 engines with plastic corolla engine.
grin grin grin grin grin ;
Sometimes I just come to this Benz thread to have a very good laugh.
grin grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by BamBamK: 12:09pm On Apr 21, 2020
grin grin grin grin

shortgun:
How can someone be comparing Mercedes M111 and M112 engines with plastic corolla engine.
grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 12:10pm On Apr 21, 2020
conductor260:

Except that Mercedes engines are typically solid, apart from the crappy M271.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by loba18: 1:52pm On Apr 21, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Except that Mercedes engines are typically solid, apart from the crappy M271.

Exactly what I was told. (Straight 4 engine)
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ibbabah: 3:02pm On Apr 21, 2020
shortgun:
grin grin grin grin

Whoever brought the idea to manufacture M111, M112 and others will have a special place in heaven. grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Teknireich(m): 3:12pm On Apr 21, 2020
loba18:

Imagine...Toyota is over-hyped. grin

The E320 will give more satisfaction.

(1) (2) (3) ... (335) (336) (337) (338) (339) (340) (341) ... (546) (Reply)

Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.