Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,190 members, 7,815,150 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:14 AM

Mercedes Benz Thread - Car Talk (384) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mercedes Benz Thread (967801 Views)

Photo: Mercedes Benz Vs Audi / Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto / The Life Cycle Of The Mercedes Benz ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (381) (382) (383) (384) (385) (386) (387) ... (546) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by dicksonadams(m): 11:41pm On Aug 24, 2020
radautoworks:

You must be driving the base MDX

I've owned fully loaded version of both cars so what do I know? I currently own the 2014 MDX with advance package as well as the 2014 RDX sh-awd max package and have had the equivalent on the benz and it's not even close.

Oh, also I fix them so like I said, what do I know? Carry on.

Awesome review... A user and an automative engineer
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by bizzle2: 11:55pm On Aug 24, 2020
radautoworks:

You must be driving the base MDX

I've owned fully loaded version of both cars so what do I know? I currently own the 2014 MDX with advance package as well as the 2014 RDX sh-awd max package and have had the equivalent on the benz and it's not even close.

Oh, also I fix them so like I said, what do I know? Carry on.
You didn't answer my question though.
What features does the MDX offer that you cannot find on an ML550 of equivalent year? not a GLK , C Class or an ML 350. But a 550 specifically ?
That lends a better perspective to your opinion.

The Advance , Tech , Entertainment , Navigation and Sport Packages on the MDX have just minor differences that mainly cater to certain comfort and entertainment priorities.
Mine is a Tech Package.

I believe to objectively compare two cars requires more than just saying A is better than B (which is largely personal opinion), the idea would be to say WHY & HOW A is better than B .

If design figures and test ratings show that the 550 betters the MDX in the categories I mentioned earlier, HOW then does the MDX better the 550 ?
I'm very open to learning. I'm a big MDX fan remember. But a spade is a spade.
I don't own a workshop or fix cars but my background is in Mechanical Engineering (Automotive Tech Engineering Option specifically). Even though my love for cars has nothing to do with that.

8 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by radautoworks: 12:05am On Aug 25, 2020
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by bizzle2: 12:16am On Aug 25, 2020
radautoworks:
it's alright. You asked for opinions I have one. Please buy what makes you happy. I'll be in my self-driving Acura with a way better system than the Mercedes. I have edited my previous responses.
Sigh, you're still not answering the question though. I'm not trying to win an argument, forums are about knowledge sharing but you're making it look like a spat because i do not blindly agree with you ?

Lane keeping assist + collision mitigation is far from autonomous driving , but if that is what you're refering to as self driving then that is one good example of the many features that a 2013 ML550 has that a 2013 MDX doesn't . . . .see my point ?

6 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by radautoworks: 12:19am On Aug 25, 2020
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by weyreypey: 12:31am On Aug 25, 2020
radautoworks:

It's not a spat. I just don't receive pleasure from long car comparisons about minute features that don't translate to real-world advantage.

CNET has a comprehensive review on the 2014 which is what I have. Subsequent years only improved.

And yes, it is self driving. I took a road trip to Dallas and about half of the way I just had my pinky on the steering wheel or it starts whining. It rivals the system on the 2019 Volvo xc90 that won car of the year. My best friend has that and I drive both so I know. Another feature I use and love all the time is remote start which is STANDARD on the advance package. The 18 inch split screen with almost any input you can think of is especially good for the kids. Two 9 inch screen with pretty much any input source you can think of including HDMI and it's STANDARD on that package.

Lastly, name a Mercedes, any Mercedes and we either currently have one or have had it. There is a reason we are transitioning over to Acura. We are about to buy a 2018 of the MDX for my mom because she's in love with mine. I tried to talk her into the Volvo but she wants the MDX. She currently has a maxed out 2019 Highlander but is more excited about my 2014 MDX. And yes, there is a GL series in the house.

If you are going to buy an Acura, max it out and you'll get more bang per dollar than almost any other car period. You don't max it out, you won't get it.
Not everyone has an oil company... Or inherited wealth.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by radautoworks: 12:35am On Aug 25, 2020
weyreypey:

Not everyone has an oil company... Or inherited wealth.
Okay...

How far weyreypey
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by bizzle2: 1:16am On Aug 25, 2020
radautoworks:

It's not a spat. I just don't receive pleasure from long car comparisons about minute features that don't translate to real-world advantage.

CNET has a comprehensive review on the 2014 which is what I have. Subsequent years only improved.

And yes, it is self driving. I took a road trip to Dallas and about half of the way I just had my pinky on the steering wheel or it starts whining. It rivals the system on the 2019 Volvo xc90 that won car of the year. My best friend has that and I drive both so I know. Another feature I use and love all the time is remote start which is STANDARD on the advance package. The 18 inch split screen with almost any input you can think of is especially good for the kids. Two 9 inch screen with pretty much any input source you can think of including HDMI and it's STANDARD on that package.

Lastly, name a Mercedes, any Mercedes and we either currently have one or have had it. There is a reason we are transitioning over to Acura. We are about to buy a 2018 of the MDX for my mom because she's in love with mine. I tried to talk her into the Volvo but she wants the MDX. She currently has a maxed out 2019 Highlander but is more excited about my 2014 MDX. And yes, there is a GL series in the house.

If you are going to buy an Acura, max it out and you'll get more bang per dollar than almost any other car period. You don't max it out, you won't get it. The only thing missing is Android play and that can be after-marketed.
Lol, so they're suddenly . . . "minute features that don't translate to real world advantage",
but these features were what you originally touted as The MDx's advantage over the ML550 ?
Now clearly the 2013 MDX even lags behind the 2013 ML550 in that regard

18 inch screen abi 9 inch screen?

I dont know who would be looking to buy a N10m+ car because of 21 inch screen or input sources, when even a 2001 mdx can have those features with many after market units and android screens.

Real world value in a Luxury SUV for me are in the

Performance
Safety
Interior/ Exterior Styling
Comfort
Handling

And those are the important categories where I expected you to tell me where the MDX beats the 550 not in the screen size.
The only things you can Max out in any MDX are comfort/ convenience features , onboard entertainment and a few other "minute features like you called them. No maxing out can turn an MDX to a 550.

Mercedes has 13 different classes and over 65 models, are you sure you've had all ? grin

For the record, I would pick a 2008 mdx over a 2008 ml 550,

7 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by radautoworks: 1:23am On Aug 25, 2020
bizzle2:

Lol, so they're suddenly . . . "minute features that don't translate to real world advantage",
but these features were what you originally touted as The MDx's advantage over the ML550 ?
Now clearly the 2013 MDX even lags behind the 2013 ML550 in that.

I dont know who would be looking to buy a N10m+ car because of 21 inch screen or input sources, when even a 2001 mdx can have those features with many after market units and android screens.

Performance
Safety
Comfort
Handling

And those are the important categories where I expected you to tell me where the MDX beats the 550 not in the screen size.
The only things you can Max out in any MDX are comfort/ convenience features , onboard entertainment and a few other "minute features like you called them. No maxing out can turn an MDX to a 550.

Mercedes has 13 different classes and over 65 models, are you sure you've had all ? grin

Enjoy your purchase. This is why I rarely give advice on NL any more. Y'all don't listen.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 4:33am On Aug 25, 2020
bizzle2:

Performance
Safety
Comfort
Handling

Since you know so much, why ask for people's opinions in the first place? Waka jeje.

6 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by weyreypey: 6:48am On Aug 25, 2020
radautoworks:

Okay...

How far weyreypey
Good morning my ex love.

2 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by weyreypey: 6:50am On Aug 25, 2020
bizzle2:

Performance
Safety
Comfort
Handling

Lol customer from hell...

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by TransAtlanticEx(m): 7:15am On Aug 25, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Since you know so much, why ask for people's opinions in the first place? Waka jeje.
radautoworks just like to be an authority on everything and today she's met with healthy competition and she suddenly lost voice,talking about how many cars her family have owned and all that crap. cheesy
Just observing from the sidelines lol.

9 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:33am On Aug 25, 2020
TransAtlanticEx:
radautoworks just like to be an authority on everything and today she's met with healthy competition and she suddenly lost voice,talking about how many cars her family have owned and all that crap. cheesy

Lol, I think both of them aren't mutually exclusive. A fully loaded ML--as the 550s tend to be--isn't worse than an MDX, especially the '12+ facelift models. Mercedes made many changes in 2012.

That said, the MDX almost definitely handles better. SH-AWD at that point was way ahead of whatever torque vectoring or LSD Mercedes was using. cheesy

At the same time, the ML550' s engine craps all over the MDX's puny 3.7L, and is definitely better at high speeds.

Personally, I would buy the ML.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Alfred74: 7:49am On Aug 25, 2020
Shuushhhh.

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:53am On Aug 25, 2020
Alfred74:

News reaching us from amebo.com be say na I'll gotten wealth, naijiriya money.

This is unnecessary and pointless.

4 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by TransAtlanticEx(m): 8:01am On Aug 25, 2020
Alfred74:

This is not my concern bros.
I love Ill gotten wealth pass anything sef cool

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Alfred74: 8:12am On Aug 25, 2020
TransAtlanticEx:
This is not my concern bros.
I love Ill gotten wealth pass anything sef cool
If I am given I will take too grin
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Alfred74: 8:13am On Aug 25, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

This is unnecessary and pointless.
Daddy learn to be calming down small small,daddy calm down. Message was not for you by the way.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by TransAtlanticEx(m): 8:17am On Aug 25, 2020
Alfred74:

If I am given I will take too grin
grin grin grin
Radautoworks,bring your papa loot come this side abeg,I don't mind to be your side nigga.
I go dey control your down(from your waist go down) while another nigga go dey control your top cool
No questions asked...Na soooooo.... cool
SEAL OF APPROVAL.

2 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Alfred74: 8:28am On Aug 25, 2020
TransAtlanticEx:
grin grin grin
Radautoworks,bring your papa loot come this side abeg,I don't mind to be your side nigga.
I go dey control your down(from your waist go down) while another nigga go dey control your top cool
No questions asked...Na soooooo.... cool
SEAL OF APPROVAL.
Water yaf finally throway.

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by asamwababy: 9:02am On Aug 25, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Wonder what he is doing here.

Same person fixing pirrelli on chinese knock off rims grin

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by weyreypey: 9:35am On Aug 25, 2020
asamwababy:

Monitoring spirit...aka searchng4love aka plenty monikers

2 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by bizzle2: 9:58am On Aug 25, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Sigh . . . typical Nairaland . . Band wagon support and butt kissing.

Did you even look at what my post was about ?

Did I ever ask for an MDX vs ML550 comparison ? that conversation came from saying " The mdx is better and has more features".

I asked for feedback from ML550 owners with extended user experience.
"Feedback" , "User Experience" , not opinion on which to buy or whether to buy.

Tell me if our roads have given you issues with the Airmatic suspension ,
Tell me how long before you needed to replace them
Tell me how reliable your turbo has been,
Tell me if the 400 hp has been enjoyable and actually useable, etc
useful feedback only a real user can give

I am irritated by the blind support on this forum sometimes, especially coming from adults.

everybody should be able to respectfully disagree or debate.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by bizzle2: 10:02am On Aug 25, 2020
asamwababy:

Lol, if they ask you now, you will say you know cars. But you cannot distinguish stock BMW rims from aftermarket knock offs . . . you will be fine.

2 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 10:14am On Aug 25, 2020
bizzle2:

Did I ever ask for an MDX vs ML550 comparison ? that conversation came from saying " The mdx is better and has more features".

I am irritated by the blind support on this forum sometimes, especially coming from adults.

Should've simply ended the conversation with "That wasn't what I was asking about", then.

There simply aren't many ML550 owners in Nigeria, especially with the 4.7TT.

From what I know about the cars, though. I'm always on MBworld, Benzworld, and plenty of MB communities. Same engine on the 2012+ E550s.

The M278 is very solid. It's also underrated by Mercedes. Probably makes closer to 430 HP or so. Also very tunable. Power delivery is excellent. Sounds amazing with a muffler delete too.

Airmatic is pretty reliable on those, actually. Nigerian roads are a different matter, though. Just do the Arnott swap.

Never heard of any turbo issues.

You'll never be able to use that 400 HP to the fullest. Plenty of low end torque, though.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by radautoworks: 1:22pm On Aug 25, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Na him make me delete everytin. Since e oversabi e no need opinion

2 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by radautoworks: 1:23pm On Aug 25, 2020
TransAtlanticEx:

WB my aspiring frenemy with 30 alternate monikers. Use your primary one if you want to talk to me.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by radautoworks: 1:24pm On Aug 25, 2020
Alfred74:

Damn, you had to pull out 2 of your monikers for little ol me?

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by radautoworks: 1:26pm On Aug 25, 2020
bizzle2:

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by radautoworks: 1:31pm On Aug 25, 2020
Enters thread, sees old G is at it again

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by seunoj: 1:31pm On Aug 25, 2020
Alfred74:

BCD, I sight you

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (381) (382) (383) (384) (385) (386) (387) ... (546) (Reply)

Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.