Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,346 members, 7,812,000 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:52 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (182) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1357342 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (179) (180) (181) (182) (183) (184) (185) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by blessedmumi(f): 3:34am On Jul 25, 2019
texrem:

So are you saying Nigerians don't Network or help? However, I wont discourage you from networking with Indians and others. Yes, that's good. I am at the position i am today through connecting with Nigerians that are good.....

Texrem!!!!
Spot on!! Networking has helped me a lot here in the USA and I'm willing to give back 100%. Information is key and I am yet to see that person (an immigrant) who can boast of making it in USA on their own. You grow by lifting others up.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Adebanjo669: 4:36am On Jul 25, 2019
Hello guys, I need an urgent to this question.... I had my Visa interview yesterday and the lady gave me a white and yellow paper that they want to verify the bank statement and that if it is legit....my visa would be approve...But what I to know is that Hope it won't delay my start date which is by August 19th and I need to book ticket b4 then...

Please I need an urgent reply...
Thank you

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Senatorbee(m): 4:36am On Jul 25, 2019
Justabama:
So how much does it get to Newark. You dint later update me

Am sorry bro
I ended up paying $900 to Newark New Jersey and the total flight our is 13hours, and from there I will board a bus going to Connecticut, I guess it's less than 4 hours drive in-between the two states, but my issue and concern is my wont it be considered as something else at the point of entry coming in through Newark instead of New york, secondly my arrival time is 7:15pm how can I get night bus to Connecticut since am a first timer in America please help and advice me accordingly

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 5:03am On Jul 25, 2019
Senatorbee:

Am sorry bro
I ended up paying $900 to Newark New Jersey and the total flight our is 13hours, and from there I will board a bus going to Connecticut, I guess it's less than 4 hours drive in-between the two states, but my issue and concern is my wont it be considered as something else at the point of entry coming in through Newark instead of New york, secondly my arrival time is 7:15pm how can I get night bus to Connecticut since am a first timer in America please help and advice me accordingly

Newark and New york are so close by ...so nothing to consider as odd

If you do feel unsafe . Best to remain in the airport till morning (find a chair to sleep on) and catch the bus in the day time . Alternatively get a hotel or a friend and then do bus waka in the day time

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by slamcole(m): 5:24am On Jul 25, 2019
walepepe21:
Visa Approved on July 22nd,2019 at the Abuja Embassy, Window 8 by a very young beautiful Lady in her 20s Transcript Loading grin grin grin grin

Congratulations bro ��
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Senatorbee(m): 5:41am On Jul 25, 2019
LagosismyHome:

Newark and New york are so close by ...so nothing to consider as odd

If you do feel unsafe . Best to remain in the airport till morning (find a chair to sleep on) and catch the bus in the day time . Alternatively get a hotel or a friend and then do bus waka in the day time
Thanks ma, however considering how civilized America is can I still get a night bus going to Connecticut by 9pm and what's the best way to navigate my way to the bus station
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Grace2516: 6:31am On Jul 25, 2019
Hi guys,
please does the US Consulate in Lagos open on Saturdays?
I got an appointment for 10:30am on a Saturday and I feel is strange? What do we think?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 6:33am On Jul 25, 2019
900 is okay... Isn't there a flight from Newark to Connecticut?.. If there's isn't , just prepare to explain your reason for coming in through new York as u already explained here... You should get at that time I guess and if u can't, just layover and dash out in the morning.. I'll advise you try and contact Nigerian students in the school through their international student office, so you can be guided properly

Senatorbee:

Am sorry bro
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Flaame(m): 6:35am On Jul 25, 2019
Adtek:
I was denied June 26 and got another appointment for July 27, please can I still go with the same statement of account?
of course yes, provided it's legit
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Flaame(m): 6:36am On Jul 25, 2019
Grace2516:
Hi guys,
please does the US Consulate in Lagos open on Saturdays?
I got an appointment for 10:30am on a Saturday and I feel is strange? What do we think?
yes, they do open

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 6:41am On Jul 25, 2019
Senatorbee:

Thanks ma, however considering how civilized America is can I still get a night bus going to Connecticut by 9pm and what's the best way to navigate my way to the bus station

Civilized no mean say stories that touch dont happen everyday.... regarding bus schedule you just have to check online. Most of the transport companies have their schedule online.

Did a quick check on greyhound , the last bus going to Hartford is 7.25pm. Last train is 8ish .. that if you are going to Hartford

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Flaame(m): 7:13am On Jul 25, 2019
Good morning nl family, please can anyone here explain to me how an exediate appointment works? I need to get a date before August 14
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Beblessedbaba: 7:38am On Jul 25, 2019
Flaame:
Good morning nl family, please can anyone here explain to me how an exediate appointment works? I need to get a date before August 14
You pick an available date currently then there after wait and search for few days to see if you can reschedule with available dates open up. In the absence of that get all your documents together, including proof of when your i20 arrived if that caused the delay otherwise proceed to apply with all your documents explaining why you deserve the privilege. Cheers

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Oasishavenng: 7:42am On Jul 25, 2019
a4pelumi:
VISA APPROVED

School: Georgia Southern University
Program: MPH
Deficit: $11,182
I wrote GRE and TOEFL
No document asked.
Interviewed at window 5 on 19th July, 2019.

VO: Good morning, how are you?
Me: I am fine

VO: Pass me your passport and I-20
Me: I complied

VO: Why are you going to the US?
ME: I am going for my Masters of Public health with special interest in Environmental Health sciences at Georgia Southern University.

VO: Why this program?
ME: This program will equip me with necessary skills, knowledge and proficiency to work with the Federal Ministry of Health and other public health (VO cuts in)

VO: What role (I didn’t get his question)
ME: I continued my response, to help reduce disease burden in Nigeria.

VO: No, I mean the work with Federal Ministry of Health as what?
Me: Environmental Health Practitioner
He starts typing, probably to confirm what I said.

VO: Where do you work?
ME: I work at ABC, I do C, D, E and F (mentioned the 4 duties I filled on my DS 160 form)

VO: Why did you choose this school?
ME: I was offered a tuition waiver and monthly stipend and I will join Dr. G research team to work on occupational health and safety. This research aligned with my interest in combating various occupational hazards in Nigeria.

VO: Who is your sponsor?
ME: I have RA which comes with tuition waiver and stipends (VO cuts in)

VO: What will your research be on? (I wasn’t expecting the question)
ME: Occupational health and safety

VO: Which industry?
Me: Manufacturing industry... I was scared because I didn’t know what I would be working on yet but then I remembered the last journal released by my supervisor and decided to use that.

VO: Explain more on the research
ME: Usage of personal protective equipment by waste workers, factors affecting their usage, their attitudes, beliefs and knowledge towards PPE.
(I wasn’t composed here, I said everything I remembered about the research I read and he typed for some seconds before asking another question)

VO: How did you know about GSU?
ME: I conducted a vast scrutiny on schools that offer PH in the US using professional sites such as Association of Schools and Programs of Public Health and sophas.org (VO cuts in)

VO: Did you apply to any other school?
ME: University of Tennessee Knoxville, East Tennessee State University.

VO: Did you write any exam?
ME: I wrote GRE and TOEFL

VO starts typing for a while, I was just praying that I should get white paper. Immediately he returned my I-20 I became excited, he said your passport will be ready for pick up at Isolo in the next few days and keep your I-20 form well.
I said thank you and left, I got outside and started reminiscing on how I couldn’t answer his questions to my satisfaction but my visa was still approved. All veneration to God.

Verdict:
- Read as many transcripts as possible, it was a transcript I read here that made me go through that helpful journal.
- Fill your DS 160 form properly and know the details offhand.
- Have a profound knowledge of your program and research interest.

Appreciation
Kudos to every single person that has contributed in one way or the other to this thread, I have been following this thread since page 14 everyday for more than 2 months. I learnt a lot from this platform. Thank you.

I wish everyone preparing for interview the best.

Congratulations
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Oasishavenng: 7:43am On Jul 25, 2019
walepepe21:
Visa Approved on July 22nd,2019 at the Abuja Embassy, Window 8 by a very young beautiful Lady in her 20s Transcript Loading grin grin grin grin

Congratulations
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by daprince5898(m): 7:48am On Jul 25, 2019
daprince5898:
Its really cool to be back here again after been denied visa last year.
I actually got entangled with NYSC this year , which will end by Feb. 2020
Now, I have been granted another admission, earliest date is January and Feb is when NYSC is rounding up. Any idea of possible action on this?
Thank you

Please I'm still expecting a reply on this....
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by daprince5898(m): 7:49am On Jul 25, 2019
daprince5898:
That notwithstanding, I'm still searching for a sch that can give full funding for Masters program, to any related course, I studied Philosophy.

Please ooo my people.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Flaame(m): 7:51am On Jul 25, 2019
Beblessedbaba:
You pick an available date currently then there after wait and search for few days to see if you can reschedule with available dates open up. In the absence of that get all your documents together, including proof of when your i20 arrived if that caused the delay otherwise proceed to apply with all your documents explaining why you deserve the privilege. Cheers
thanks bro
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Dipro: 7:55am On Jul 25, 2019
Good morning Nairalanders. Please is there anyone in Philadelphia here or knows someone in Philadelphia that I can have a conversation with ?? I am due to be in Philadelphia next month with my wife and daughter and would like to meet someone who lives there that I can call/text with to learn more about the city. Thank you in advance and God bless you all.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Boc007(m): 7:57am On Jul 25, 2019
Vullia:

I just got a date for jan 6 in Lagos school resumes jan13 hope there won't be any issue .

Did you apply as regular? How come your appointment date moved to 6th of January?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 8:04am On Jul 25, 2019
ARCHEMEDESME:
Is possible for someone less than 18 from Nigeria to study in the US and how would it work

Make out time and go for EducationUSA sessions at the Lagos Consulate. You'll see for yourself...
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Sosao(f): 8:06am On Jul 25, 2019
Pray and be hopefully
It will end in praise
Adebanjo669:
Hello guys, I need an urgent to this question.... I had my Visa interview yesterday and the lady gave me a white and yellow paper that they want to verify the bank statement and that if it is legit....my visa would be approve...But what I to know is that Hope it won't delay my start date which is by August 19th and I need to book ticket b4 then...

Please I need an urgent reply...
Thank you
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by daprince5898(m): 8:07am On Jul 25, 2019
Leone26:

Make out time and go for EducationUSA sessions at the Lagos Consulate. You'll see for yourself...

Pls how does it work?
Dou have to be registered before u attend or what?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by boasty(f): 8:10am On Jul 25, 2019
Quick question...if the emergency request is not approved, is there still a chance to reschedule when a better date pops up or do I have to pay visa fees again
Beblessedbaba:
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Wretch32: 8:34am On Jul 25, 2019
Thank you mumi smiley
blessedmumi:

Spot on!! Networking has helped me a lot here in the USA and I'm willing to give back 100%. Information is key and I am yet to see that person (an immigrant) who can boast of making it in USA on their own. You grow by lifting others up.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 8:45am On Jul 25, 2019
daprince5898:

Pls how does it work?
Dou have to be registered before u attend or what?

https://educationusa.state.gov/centers/educationusa-lagos

Check that out...
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by spaccleinc(m): 8:54am On Jul 25, 2019
Yeah... The schools are not giving a positive reply to my request.

solihp:

Your case is a very special one. You had very good scores in your GRE and TOEFL but wasn't awarded a scholarship . I think the VO felt you should have been given a form of scholarship cause your profile seems to be good. If you went for your interview in May, I would have said you should reach out to your school to tell them the development and see if they can offer you a Tuition waiver, but now, I am not so sure.

Let's see what others have to say
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by spaccleinc(m): 8:57am On Jul 25, 2019
Well, I'm gonna try again.

Brown2Green:

Masters degree in Engineering barely gets Assistantship before arrival. ( mostly only upon arrival) That's Fact.
If you have a great GPA. Apply for PhD before going back. Your GRE and TOEFL is great. Hence, the discomfort of the VO. Felt you didn't make the best outta your profile.
PhD will have you automatically funded.

No harm in giving it a second try since your dad is funding.

il mio prendere
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by spaccleinc(m): 9:00am On Jul 25, 2019
Lol. Well, I did try my best...and I put my best foot forward in every of my applications. Didn't just work out, and I don't wanna stall my academic progress and career on the premise of funding/no funding. I feel it's possible (and I even prefer it more) to secure assistantship and funding upon arrival to the university.

dumbiri99:

The vo was right to deny you
He did it for your own good
Are you sure you know what you are doing like this
You scored 318 in GRE and 105 in TOEFL but you can't get some funding for mechanical engineering, then that means you have not taken your application process seriously.
With your scores you shouldn't be paying school fees, look for other schools to apply. Try Tennessee tech
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by spaccleinc(m): 9:02am On Jul 25, 2019
My Undergrad GPA isn't that high. undecided

oluezekiel:
Why not apply to other schools? USF doesn't fund any of the MS (engineering) programs. And you're required to get an advisor to pick you or show interest before you can be admitted into the Ph.D. programs.
If your quantitative is >75th percentile and your undergrad GPA is >3.5/4.0, I'd suggest you consider a Ph.D. if you're interested

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by spaccleinc(m): 9:05am On Jul 25, 2019
Thanks. That'll probably be the next resort, if I don't get any positive response.

Maryam3:

I think the VO believes you can still apply to a school that will waive something for you at least. Since your grades are okay. Maybe you should try reaching out to more schools.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Abdulrahmon68(m): 9:07am On Jul 25, 2019
walepepe21:

Congratulations my great Friend! I also tap from this success.

May Almighty God bless your new Journey. Aameen

(1) (2) (3) ... (179) (180) (181) (182) (183) (184) (185) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.