Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,360 members, 7,812,017 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:24 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (187) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1357357 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (184) (185) (186) (187) (188) (189) (190) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by biikeys(m): 3:59pm On Jul 26, 2019
Yhukay00:
Please, is talking about the class size of a school when asked why a particular school was chosen by a VO cool? P.S it's an undergrad degree

Used to work many years ago..not anymore. Look for genuine believable reasons

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by amb001: 3:59pm On Jul 26, 2019
AP oooooo...
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Thanose: 4:00pm On Jul 26, 2019
JTDeus:
Hey, F1 Nairalanders! You guys rock! You guys tutored me wella on these insightful and generous pages.

I've been waiting for my visa delivery so that I'd have complete peace of mind while posting the transcript. Interview was Thursday, July 11th, in Abuja, 9am (that's 2 weeks already).

V.O. gave me white paper but mentioned that my visa would be put on hold so as to verify my submitted SOA. I've been tracking my status via both email, website, appointment page as well as call option too. They're all saying visa still with the embassy/consulate.

My story long o. But it's just a full testimony of God's favour and grace at work. I'm a first class student, with Bachelor's degrees in Philosophy (2009) and Theology (2014) respectively, PGDE from NTI (2015) and COMPTIA A+ from NIIT (2015). I'm 32 and I've been teaching since 2014, plus other engagements like NECO SSCE Supervisor, education board volunteer, ICT manager in an establishment, charity organisation experience, etc.

I applied for Licentiate in Sacred Theology from 2 Jesuit Schools in the US - Santa Clara University, California, and Boston College, Massachusetts.

Both schools offered scholarships. SCU replied first with 50% tuition scholarship, and I processed everything with them (i20, SEVIS fee, and nonrefundable enrolment deposit of $500). I even paid visa application fee and was about applying for visa when BC miraculously showed up last month. I didn't hear from them after application, and because I applied later than their deadline, I presumed they didn't take me. They just appeared last month with admission and 75% tuition scholarship, which I appealed and they increased to 100%. Bingo! �

I immediately applied to DHS for SEVIS fee transfer request from SCU to BC, which they did immediately and hitch free too. I went for visa interview with BC full tuition cover, while my uncle (same surname) takes care of other expenses. I used 2 SOA (dollar and naira respectively) from him issued in May for my admissions and i20 processing. He gave me sponsorship letter, together with another SOA printed July 10, a day to my interview.

VISA INTERVIEW:
Abuja, July 11th, 9am, window 6 or so, elderly white man who was very calm and gentle with me. Arrived consulate around 7:50am, got interviewed after the series of queues and processes around 10:35am or so.

My situation: No GRE, GMAT, TOEFL, IELTS or other standardised tests, and no external transcripts evaluations (none required); totally Virgin passport (but I've been to Benin and Ghana, and I filled them in my DS160); Single and childless; sponsored by uncle. Big mistake in my visa appointment form which I never discovered as I did all my stuff and printed myself, until the guys checking at the front desk pointed it out to me - I put my email address in place of my first name so the appointment page bears only my surname and email address, no first names. I almost fainted! Good enough, my email is a twist of my first names, so the identity connection won't be hard. They passed me on to the next screening stage though.

TRANSCRIPT:
(I'm not good at quoting verbatim, please, but you'll get the whole gist as much as I can).

We greeted and I passed my passport and i20.

VO: Are you in Orders? (meaning, are you a priest?)

Me: No

VO: I'm seeing Theology

Me: I've been in the seminary all my life but I didn't continue to the priesthood. I want to advance in Theology so I can lecture in the senior seminary or Catholic University when I return.

VO: Do you have a place to teach when you return?

Me: Yes (I dash him the letter I'm holding)

VO: What level of students are you teaching now?

Me: Secondary students, but I want to advance so I can teach in the higher institution.

VO: (goes into typing mode, so gentle all the way like he really wants to grant the visa but remembered he hadn't really asked me anything) Let me ask you just one question, a quick one. (I say, sure). Can you tell me the only doctrine the Pope has pronounced as infallible?

Me: (I never expected that. I was confused whether he meant the current Pope or past popes. He saw my confusion and said since Vatican. So I answered) We have the Immaculate Conception, we have the... (I wanted to continue but VO cuts in...)

VO: There you go! You did your Theology well! Did you obtain any bachelors during your seminary studies?

Me: Yes.

VO: What subjects?

Me: Philosophy and Theology

VO: (looking at my i20...) I see you have generous funding from the school. (I no talk. He moves down to my uncle.) Your uncle is taking care of the rest. Can I see...

Me: (I didn't let him finish. I dash am my sponsorship letter plus 3 different SOA for same uncle, two naira and one dollar account, all three legit. He looks at the SOAs and exclaims)

VO: These accounts are loaded. Your uncle must be well off. What does he do?

Me: (I tell him uncle's job and professional level.)

VO: I'll put your visa on hold while we verify these accounts against fraud. If you're guilty of fraud, you won't be allowed to enter the United States for...

Me: (I cut him off) Sure, I know. With all pleasure, please, you can confirm.

VO: (sticks a small white piece of paper behind my passport, gives me white A4 paper saying) This is for your visa (white paper showing visa approved and collection info).

(Gives me another cut white paper saying) This is specifically for your F1 visa (contains F1 travel guidelines).

(Keeps my passport. Hands back my i20 saying something like) Keep it on you while travelling, not in your bag (and so on... But I wasn't listening. The only thing in my head was... Run � � �)

VO was still giving final remarks but I was already towards the door in excitement and also fear of being called back for another thing again.

Me: (Already turned to run away �) bye bye, bye bye... God bless you, Sir!

Na so I take waka. I wasn't asked most of the usually expected questions. The only documents I presented were passport, i20, letter of employment confirmation and financial documents (letter of sponsorship and 3 SOA from uncle).

First, it's God. Then, truth is key. Also, struggle for good grades, you have less worry afterwards in academic adventures or application processes. Study the scope of the interview well and know what they're looking for. Try have documents to back up answers, and present the document to backup your claims as you're voicing oral answer too, because you may not be asked. Don't talk too much. Stay on the question. Let the VO lead the conversation. Don't answer the next question VO hasn't asked.

Pray my dear. Fast. Abstain from sin for that period. Make God a project as you make the visa a project and also make your documentation a project, and all will rhyme in that small cubicle. Pray to also meet a gentle VO. A guy immediately after me who came with the same school I got in California (SCU), with same 50% tuition scholarship I had with them, was not successful at the visa interview and he said the VO wasn't letting him talk (I got their i20 and paid SEVIS fee with them but switched to Boston that gave me 100% tuition scholarship, transfered my SEVIS record and went for visa interview with Boston College.)

Another thing, I feel they check social media profile, else they wouldn't ask you for it. Have a mature consistent social media profile that would make a potential employer take you if they were to look at your social media; a social media profile that can tell who you are, and also match what you filled in your DS160. I was expecting to feel tensed as I approached interview, but only remembered after the interview that I felt no tension at all. My VO made me at ease. It wasn't really a grilling interview, but more of a coffee chat. He was an angel!

However, I've still not been contacted for my visa collection and tracking is saying still at embassy. I filled PH as my pick-up location. The white paper said 4 working days if using pick-up. It's 2 whole weeks now, that's 10 or 11 working days. What's your take guys about my situation?

Also, what's take about landing at a POE different from your school airport? I want to land in Los Angeles for some days before moving to Boston? Any concerns about immigration wahala if I do so?

My empathy to all those not yet successful, and best wishes to those going soonest. One love, Nairaland! ✌

Same with me o. Same white man yesterday

I feel indebted to give back to this thread

Three persons before me were denied at window 7 (a white lady)
I was drenched by the rain..my documents too
No funding, folks it was only God all the way
Cos I was wet, I was a tad shivering

Me: Good morning

VO: good morning pass your documents

VO: when did you graduate

Me: 2014

VO: what have you been doing since then

Me: I have worked in three companies, presently I work in a telecoms firm

Vo: (notices telecoms engineering and cuts in) oh so that's why you're studying telecoms, I see. Why did you choose this school

Me: after an intensive search on us news.com and study.com my school came up as one of the top telecoms school, not just that they have a dedicated campus for Telecoms, all their faculty have a background in Telecoms. They have four labs..(was about listing them)

VO: (nods and cuts in) what's your plan after study

Me: In the next 2 years, 5G will be integrated in my company and nigeria(na so). I intend to acquire this knowledge n MSC to enable me be part of the team as well as a facilitator (VO nodding)

VO: who is sponsoring you

Me: my aunt

VO: what does she do

Me: she owns and managing housing properties in Lagos and ogun state, she also is a major distributor of FMCG particularly Pasta. Such as soagetti and Indomie

VO: can I see her account

Me: sure

Vo: (types a bit) I'll be placing you on awaiting to verify the account, if it is not authentic you'll be banned...however. congratu..(omo as I hear this my electrons spiked)
He gave me a white slip having a congratulatory note as well as an A4 having F1 procedures and visa collection

I cant remember if I said thank you, I just took it and left. Trying to hide my smile.

This is my first interview
I live in Lagos
I chose abuja cos as at the time I applied, dates for Lagos were showing August 25th, my resumption date is 19th. Days after dates for Lagos came up, I wanted to change back(utilize the one opp I had) portal said I already utilized it. I dont know how or when. I just swallowed and made up my mind to go to Abuja

Folks, yes I prayed more than I prepared. But it was only Gods mercy all through especially when three people before me were denied.

17 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jul 26, 2019
Yhukay00:
Please, is talking about the class size of a school when asked why a particular school was chosen by a VO cool? P.S it's an undergrad degree

Lolz...Many of us excelled in our public universities even with the high student to lecturer ratio. So I'd suggest you prep for better answers like; I'd have an opportunity to major in Elect. Eng., and still do a minor in Mathematics smiley, mention any significant scholarships you were offered, etc....

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by amb001: 5:11pm On Jul 26, 2019
Who on AP got decision today?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Delaztyx: 6:14pm On Jul 26, 2019
None I heard of..for me it was just last updated yesterday....didnt show issued today...still on AP.
amb001:
Who on AP got decision today?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Abdulrahmon68(m): 6:18pm On Jul 26, 2019
Best201195:
Silent reader since 2016. wink
Lagos Consulate
July 18 - 8am
Window 5, White guy with beards.

Background : I had a wrong course on my I-20 , I’m currently at a Uni here in Nigeria - 4th year. I filled it in my Ds-160 form. (Thanks to Fairheart for asking me to keep it real)

@homirefacuny , thanks for the email.
@Brown2green , thanks for your words.

Special thanks to @Fairheart. I don’t know what would have happened without you in this process. I’m saying it again ... “if not for you I for don go chop hot beans for embassy” Thanks for the morning and night mocks , scolding and everything.

Congratulations Brother.

May God bless your new Journey.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Yhukay00: 6:57pm On Jul 26, 2019
Please the SOA balance on my i20 is different from the SOA balance I'd be going to my interview with, is this an issue? The both are legit.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by 9jalatestnews(m): 7:46pm On Jul 26, 2019
Please I need advice Can I present a Bank Statement different from the one I submitted to School for admission to US Embassy
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by royalway001: 7:49pm On Jul 26, 2019
Hello, is there anyone here resuming for fall 2019 @ University of Oklahoma, Norman... Kindly signify..
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by amb001: 7:54pm On Jul 26, 2019
Delaztyx:
None I heard of..for me it was just last updated yesterday....didnt show issued today...still on AP.

Same baba
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Delaztyx: 8:04pm On Jul 26, 2019
It's well man...We remain hopeful.
amb001:

Same baba
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by imperiouxx(m): 9:19pm On Jul 26, 2019
@ Gloryemo, solihp, Melcapital, twittycutey, JohnnyAmhan, Oasishavenng, Danikal, Senatorbee, a4pelumi, JTDeus, Best201195 and Thanose

Cheers!

10 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by CHUUKKSS(m): 9:42pm On Jul 26, 2019
They hear this many times and it pisses them off, There are many other points why you should choose a school over other school.
Yhukay00:

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Adebanjo669: 10:04pm On Jul 26, 2019
Delaztyx:

Me too.... Had my interview on the 24th in abuja.But it showed my case was created on the 23rd of july and was last updated yesterday and no visa was issued today... My sponsor's bank is GTbank and she hasn't received any call from anyone
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Predstan: 10:22pm On Jul 26, 2019
CHUUKKSS:
Yes. I submitted fake 35,000 dollars bank statement to them but at embassy my real money was shown although I didn't need it since I had scholarship. Just took it to be on the safe side.

Ok... And you are Bold enough to write that you submitted a Fake Statement of Account. You believe you are anonymous right?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by gennylota: 10:39pm On Jul 26, 2019
CHUUKKSS:
Yes. I submitted fake 35,000 dollars bank statement to them but at embassy my real money was shown although I didn't need it since I had scholarship. Just took it to be on the safe side.
shocked please who is this?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Stevenssen(m): 10:41pm On Jul 26, 2019
CHUUKKSS:
And you are boldly admitting it. smh.

Better delete your post now. I will unquote you too
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Shehuroj: 11:12pm On Jul 26, 2019
US visa interview on the 13th June, 2019. After almost five weeks of waiting, the visa was issued on 25th July, 2019. It was a serious suspense filled with apprehension. My program coordinator had to put up a letter to the US Embassy in support of my visa application when I informed her. I had to also mail and call the Embassy after one month of no update on the visa application that has been under necessary administrative processing since 13th June, 2019. But all that were said is nobody knows the exact time it will be issued and pleaded with me to exercise patience. Finally, I got the good news and the following is the interview transcript.
Me: Good morning madam (with smiling face).
VO: Good morning. Pass me your I-20 form and passport.
Me: I did (still maintain eye contact with smile).
VO: what are you going to do in Rutgers?
Me: I am going for MSc in Forensic science at Rutgers, the state university of New Jersey.
VO: You just returned from Saudi Arabia this December, why haven’t you been working?
Me: I have been preparing for a postgraduate study in the US against fall resumption.
VO: Nodded with okay.
VO: What were you doing in KSU Saudi Arabia?
Me- I went for a MSc in Environmental Sciences. VO cuts in
VO: Then why going for another MSc?
Me: Because I was denied the opportunity to study a any medical course because I am not a citizen of the country even though I met VO cuts in...
VO: Why didn’t you go for Medicine in other country?
Me: I studied medical laboratory science in my undergraduate and not Medicine and Surgery. I then explain the responsibilities of MLS and the interjection with Forensic Science.
VO: Okay okay
VO: Why US?
Me: Because US schools are top class with world class research facilities that will afford me the opportunity to carry out excellent researches in the field of forensic science. VO cuts in
VO: Who is sponsoring your study?
Me: I have partial scholarship of $10,000 (Chancellor’s Merit Award) with additional $5,000 just yesterday. I presented the document of the new scholarship from the department because it was not captured in my I-20.
VO: Who will be paying for your deficit?
Me: (I dribbled her here) My guardian will be responsible for my deficit.
VO: Typed why talking. Pass me the statement of account.
Me: I passed the SOA including affidavit and attestation letter. Unfortunately, she noticed my sponsor is my uncle from the attestation letter.
VO: She said, so he is your uncle?
Me: Yes, he is also my guardian.
VO: Typed for some time (I think she changed it from father to uncle).
VO: What does your uncle do?
Me: He is a major distributor of motor cycle and tricycle and also has an even centre and shopping complexes.
VO: This school is expensive...
Me: Yes, Rutgers is one of the best schools in the world. It’s 8th oldest University on US, so it worth the price.
VO: She checked the SOA front and back and noticed it ended in May, 2018. I didn’t hear what she said here clearly. But what I inferred was that she said but the SOA ends in May.
Me: I said yes, it was requested from school to process my I-20 in May.
VO: Already brought out yellow paper and started writing something on it. She handed it over to me with explanation that I should send the current SOA up to middle of June, 2019 through DHL to US Embassy's document collection centre in Abuja. The paper contains what to send and when to expect the visa.

Thanks to everyone here and all that have contributed to the success of this interview and visa processing, most expecially Brown2Green. I so much appreciate you input and support.
I wish all the intending interviewee success too.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Stevenssen(m): 11:30pm On Jul 26, 2019
CHUUKKSS:
Lol I should lie that I didn't or what, stop pretending peeps, none of you have that kind of money. Most account statement of high amount sent to school are doctored but not the one sent to embassy. Please don't mis understand me. My school asked to show if I could sponsor my education in case I was not given a scholarship and I should provide a bank statement reflecting that. I sent them doctored because i know the school won't necessarily confirm that. I have seen it countless times. Please don't go and doctor your bank statement to embassy o abeg.
This is why this visa stuff is getting hard for Nigerians, while other countries are having it easy. Very soon schools will want to start verifying bank statements from Nigerian.
You used a 'doctored' statement, not only that, you are here on a public forum (which the US consulate is well aware of) and proudly stating it.

7 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Stevenssen(m): 11:33pm On Jul 26, 2019
CHUUKKSS:
Lol I should lie that I didn't or what, stop pretending peeps, none of you have that kind of money. Most account statement of high amount sent to school are doctored but not the one sent to embassy. Please don't mis understand me. My school asked to show if I could sponsor my education in case I was not given a scholarship and I should provide a bank statement reflecting that. I sent them doctored because i know the school won't necessarily confirm that. I have seen it countless times. Please don't go and doctor your bank statement to embassy o abeg.
Very strange assumption to make.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by daprince5898(m): 12:26am On Jul 27, 2019
JTDeus:
Hey, F1 Nairalanders! You guys rock! You guys tutored me wella on these insightful and generous pages.

I've been waiting for my visa delivery so that I'd have complete peace of mind while posting the transcript. Interview was Thursday, July 11th, in Abuja, 9am (that's 2 weeks already).

V.O. gave me white paper but mentioned that my visa would be put on hold so as to verify my submitted SOA. I've been tracking my status via both email, website, appointment page as well as call option too. They're all saying visa still with the embassy/consulate.

My story long o. But it's just a full testimony of God's favour and grace at work. I'm a first class student, with Bachelor's degrees in Philosophy (2009) and Theology (2014) respectively, PGDE from NTI (2015) and COMPTIA A+ from NIIT (2015). I'm 32 and I've been teaching since 2014, plus other engagements like NECO SSCE Supervisor, education board volunteer, ICT manager in an establishment, charity organisation experience, etc.

I applied for Licentiate in Sacred Theology from 2 Jesuit Schools in the US - Santa Clara University, California, and Boston College, Massachusetts.

Both schools offered scholarships. SCU replied first with 50% tuition scholarship, and I processed everything with them (i20, SEVIS fee, and nonrefundable enrolment deposit of $500). I even paid visa application fee and was about applying for visa when BC miraculously showed up last month. I didn't hear from them after application, and because I applied later than their deadline, I presumed they didn't take me. They just appeared last month with admission and 75% tuition scholarship, which I appealed and they increased to 100%. Bingo! �

I immediately applied to DHS for SEVIS fee transfer request from SCU to BC, which they did immediately and hitch free too. I went for visa interview with BC full tuition cover, while my uncle (same surname) takes care of other expenses. I used 2 SOA (dollar and naira respectively) from him issued in May for my admissions and i20 processing. He gave me sponsorship letter, together with another SOA printed July 10, a day to my interview.

VISA INTERVIEW:
Abuja, July 11th, 9am, window 6 or so, elderly white man who was very calm and gentle with me. Arrived consulate around 7:50am, got interviewed after the series of queues and processes around 10:35am or so.

My situation: No GRE, GMAT, TOEFL, IELTS or other standardised tests, and no external transcripts evaluations (none required); totally Virgin passport (but I've been to Benin and Ghana, and I filled them in my DS160); Single and childless; sponsored by uncle. Big mistake in my visa appointment form which I never discovered as I did all my stuff and printed myself, until the guys checking at the front desk pointed it out to me - I put my email address in place of my first name so the appointment page bears only my surname and email address, no first names. I almost fainted! Good enough, my email is a twist of my first names, so the identity connection won't be hard. They passed me on to the next screening stage though.

TRANSCRIPT:
(I'm not good at quoting verbatim, please, but you'll get the whole gist as much as I can).

We greeted and I passed my passport and i20.

VO: Are you in Orders? (meaning, are you a priest?)

Me: No

VO: I'm seeing Theology

Me: I've been in the seminary all my life but I didn't continue to the priesthood. I want to advance in Theology so I can lecture in the senior seminary or Catholic University when I return.

VO: Do you have a place to teach when you return?

Me: Yes (I dash him the letter I'm holding)

VO: What level of students are you teaching now?

Me: Secondary students, but I want to advance so I can teach in the higher institution.

VO: (goes into typing mode, so gentle all the way like he really wants to grant the visa but remembered he hadn't really asked me anything) Let me ask you just one question, a quick one. (I say, sure). Can you tell me the only doctrine the Pope has pronounced as infallible?

Me: (I never expected that. I was confused whether he meant the current Pope or past popes. He saw my confusion and said since Vatican. So I answered) We have the Immaculate Conception, we have the... (I wanted to continue but VO cuts in...)

VO: There you go! You did your Theology well! Did you obtain any bachelors during your seminary studies?

Me: Yes.

VO: What subjects?

Me: Philosophy and Theology

VO: (looking at my i20...) I see you have generous funding from the school. (I no talk. He moves down to my uncle.) Your uncle is taking care of the rest. Can I see...

Me: (I didn't let him finish. I dash am my sponsorship letter plus 3 different SOA for same uncle, two naira and one dollar account, all three legit. He looks at the SOAs and exclaims)

VO: These accounts are loaded. Your uncle must be well off. What does he do?

Me: (I tell him uncle's job and professional level.)

VO: I'll put your visa on hold while we verify these accounts against fraud. If you're guilty of fraud, you won't be allowed to enter the United States for...

Me: (I cut him off) Sure, I know. With all pleasure, please, you can confirm.

VO: (sticks a small white piece of paper behind my passport, gives me white A4 paper saying) This is for your visa (white paper showing visa approved and collection info).

(Gives me another cut white paper saying) This is specifically for your F1 visa (contains F1 travel guidelines).

(Keeps my passport. Hands back my i20 saying something like) Keep it on you while travelling, not in your bag (and so on... But I wasn't listening. The only thing in my head was... Run � � �)

VO was still giving final remarks but I was already towards the door in excitement and also fear of being called back for another thing again.

Me: (Already turned to run away �) bye bye, bye bye... God bless you, Sir!

Na so I take waka. I wasn't asked most of the usually expected questions. The only documents I presented were passport, i20, letter of employment confirmation and financial documents (letter of sponsorship and 3 SOA from uncle).

First, it's God. Then, truth is key. Also, struggle for good grades, you have less worry afterwards in academic adventures or application processes. Study the scope of the interview well and know what they're looking for. Try have documents to back up answers, and present the document to backup your claims as you're voicing oral answer too, because you may not be asked. Don't talk too much. Stay on the question. Let the VO lead the conversation. Don't answer the next question VO hasn't asked.

Pray my dear. Fast. Abstain from sin for that period. Make God a project as you make the visa a project and also make your documentation a project, and all will rhyme in that small cubicle. Pray to also meet a gentle VO. A guy immediately after me who came with the same school I got in California (SCU), with same 50% tuition scholarship I had with them, was not successful at the visa interview and he said the VO wasn't letting him talk (I got their i20 and paid SEVIS fee with them but switched to Boston that gave me 100% tuition scholarship, transfered my SEVIS record and went for visa interview with Boston College.)

Another thing, I feel they check social media profile, else they wouldn't ask you for it. Have a mature consistent social media profile that would make a potential employer take you if they were to look at your social media; a social media profile that can tell who you are, and also match what you filled in your DS160. I was expecting to feel tensed as I approached interview, but only remembered after the interview that I felt no tension at all. My VO made me at ease. It wasn't really a grilling interview, but more of a coffee chat. He was an angel!

However, I've still not been contacted for my visa collection and tracking is saying still at embassy. I filled PH as my pick-up location. The white paper said 4 working days if using pick-up. It's 2 whole weeks now, that's 10 or 11 working days. What's your take guys about my situation?

Also, what's take about landing at a POE different from your school airport? I want to land in Los Angeles for some days before moving to Boston? Any concerns about immigration wahala if I do so?

My empathy to all those not yet successful, and best wishes to those going soonest. One love, Nairaland! ✌

Congratulations to you Sir.
This is indeed same timeline with what I want.
Please it will interest me to have a chat with u privately.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by OnlineWell(m): 12:50am On Jul 27, 2019
Stevenssen:

This is why this visa stuff is getting hard for Nigerians, while other countries are having it easy. Very soon schools will want to start verifying bank statements from Nigerian.
You used a 'doctored' statement, not only that, you are here on a public forum (which the US consulate is well aware of) and proudly stating it.
Common sense is not common
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Flaame(m): 1:08am On Jul 27, 2019
Yhukay00:
Please the SOA balance on my i20 is different from the SOA balance I'd be going to my interview with, is this an issue? The both are legit.
yes, it's a cause for concern, they'd ask you why you changed, unless you have a very solid reason to persuade them which I don't think is easy...... Did the name of sponsor appear on your I20?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Flaame(m): 1:09am On Jul 27, 2019
9jalatestnews:
Please I need advice Can I present a Bank Statement different from the one I submitted to School for admission to US Embassy
hmmmm, it's a cause for concern, they'd ask you why you changed, unless you have a very solid reason to persuade them which I don't think is easy...... Did the name of sponsor appear on your I20?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by CHUUKKSS(m): 1:23am On Jul 27, 2019
In order to protect others I will delete.
Stevenssen:

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by CHUUKKSS(m): 1:29am On Jul 27, 2019
Unquote all my messages as regarding it then
Stevenssen:

Very strange assumption to make.

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by CHUUKKSS(m): 1:34am On Jul 27, 2019
People are learning here, so don't use style and huff here. If I hadn't shared my experience, we wouldn't know it is totally unacceptable. Be wise and learn too. Tell the next person to do the right thing next time as I have been told.
OnlineWell:

Common sense is not common
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Flaame(m): 2:36am On Jul 27, 2019
Good morning NL family,please help me scrutinize my proposed transcript
@ Lagosismyhome, fairheart, sharwama, walspring....please seriously look into my matter.
School: St. Cloud State University
Course: Computer engineering
Level: undergraduate

Vo: Good morning, passport and I20
Me: (passed them)
Vo: Have you been here before?
Me: Yes, I have
Vo: So why was your visa not approved?
Me: I was denied because I failed to convince the visa officer that I was a genuine student and not an intending immigrant
Vo: So what's new from the last time you applied?
Me: Well, I have known so much more about my program, my confidence has improved, and I have even a better financial support
Vo: Are you trying to tell me you never knew about your course before?
Me: No, not at all. I am actually saying that I have known more about my program ... We learn new things everyday
Vo: OK.... Where are you going?
Me: Am going to St. Cloud State University for my undergraduate degree in computer engineering
Vo: Why this school?
Me: Apart from the fact that I got a generous in-state tuition waiver which am very grateful for, I also chose this wonderful school because it has a very committed focus on the academic excellence of her international students and a very diverse cultural community that helps international students feel settled. Like this is not enough, this wonderful school offers a lot at a very moderate rate.....
Vo: When did you graduate
Me: 2014
Vo: What have you been doing since then? It's been about 5 years now!
Me: Yes, it's been quite a while but after my graduation in July 2014, I started computer classes at Royals Computers Cybercafe where I was offered a management job after concluding my program, I chose to handle the job to get management tactics which would enable me run my own ICT firm in the long run. Currently, am a freelancer and a blogger.
Vo: Why not just get this degree in Nigeria or some other country?
Me: When it comes to STEM courses, the U.S schools offers the best programs in this area. They have a well-structured educational system that maintains a balance in practical skills and theoretical knowledge. I need the best possible education for my career plans.
Vo: what will a degree in computer engineering do for you?
Me: A degree in this course will fortify me with the knowledge and skills required to directly secure a very good job in one of the top ranked innovative technical firms in Nigeria upon graduation. As Nigeria is at the dawn of what I'd call a "technological revolution ",where engineers with a degree in my field are highly sought for by top companies like: Andela, Flutterwave, Jumia, Globacom, MasterCard,etc,a degree in this course will be a one-way ticket to actualize one of my career plans in Nigeria. A degree in this course will also help me partake in this technological revolution coming from my very country, a revolution that will sky-rocket the economy of Nigeria, and at the same time have them ranked amongst the best technically advanced countries in the world.
Vo: Tell me about the course and the program?
Me: Computer engineering is a branch of engineering that integrated several fields of computer science and electronics engineering required to develop various computer software and hardware. This branch of engineering does not only focus on how computer systems work themselves but on how they integrate to larger pictures
About the course, am expected to take prerequisite courses before getting admitted to the major,graduate with a minimum GPA of 2.5,and 106 credits
Vo: Can you list some of the courses you'd be taking in your program?
Me: I'd have to take courses in General engineering,Physics,Maths and statistics, Calculus, Embedded systems, Engineering orientation
Vo: Do you know some of the professors you'd be working with?
Me: Yes, I already know and communicate with Prof. Ling Hou our head of department and Prof. Michael P. Glazos, the assistant professor
Vo: What will you do upon graduation?
Me: I'll come back to Nigeria after my undergraduate degree to have my compulsory nysc, then afterwards, hopefully secure a job in one of the top ranked ICT firms in Nigeria or go for a lecturing job in one of the Nigerian universities. In the long run.... I intend to own my own ICT firm.
Vo: Did you sit for any standardized test?
Me: Yes, I took SAT and had a score of 1030
Vo: That doesn't look like a very good score, how did you manage to get this scholarship?
Me: Yes, it's not that high but it still kept me in a position to qualify for the in-state tuition scholarship, plus I have a very good high school GPA of 3.46/4.
Vo: Do you think you qualify for this visa?
Me: Well, I believe I do: I have an admission from a good college, I havea good academic record, I have a genuine intent for traveling to the u.s,plus I have sufficient sponsorship,so in all ramification, I think I qualify for it
Vo: Who's your sponsor and what does he do?
Me: My maternal uncle. He's a lawyer by profession but has a lot of businesses he manages.He has a school here in Abuja, he is also into estate business, and has a couple of lodges here in Abuja too
Vo: Why would your uncle sponsor you and not your parents?
Me: since high school he has been the one sponsoring my education without stress, and is still willing to continue. It has never been an issue for him, he feels entitled to the responsibility.
Vo: Does he not have his own kids to take care of?
Me: His kids are all graduates and now independent.

You as a visa officer, decide my fate.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (184) (185) (186) (187) (188) (189) (190) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.