Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,305 members, 7,811,902 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:58 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (190) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1357189 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (187) (188) (189) (190) (191) (192) (193) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Timitex85: 6:28am On Jul 28, 2019
Hi everyone, trust your doing perfectly fine??

I have a cousin in the US, willingly and ready to get the GRE form for me over there so that I can register online from here in Nigeria .please can someone help me with the required steps to purchase the form from the official ets site?

Thank you.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Yhukay00: 6:40am On Jul 28, 2019
Please can the DS160 be changed 3 days to your interview?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Time2win(m): 7:05am On Jul 28, 2019
Yhukay00:
Please can the DS160 be changed 3 days to your interview?

it's advisable not to do that but you can login and check if you can still update it
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Sherlock5577: 7:27am On Jul 28, 2019
Dalmakz:
Transcript for my USA Visa interview
Date: 25th June, 2019

B.Eng in Mechanical Engineering
MSc in Materials Science and Engineering
Taken GRE: Yes
Taken TOEFL: Yes
Academic Start Session: Fall 2019
Course of study: PhD Systems Engineering (Option of Mechanical Engineeing)
School: Univeristy of Louisianna lafayette (ULL)
Fully Funded: Yes

I got to the venue by 8:42am for a 9.00am appointnent. I was happy I used taxify as I felt I had eluded the rain, but little did I know that the rain had other plans for me. I actually thought the taxi could go into the premises but the mobile police men no gree o. As the car stopped, hustlers were already everywhere offering me umbrella as it was raining heavily. So I got down and stood with one of them who was a lady under her umbrella (this didn't even prevent the rain from beating me). Luckily for me she was igbo so it was easy to bargain with her how much it would cost to keep my phones in her possession. I was really skeptical about giving her my phone but I no get option so I just gave her everything and took down her details on a paper. She then walked me into the embassy. It was raining heavily... you know that type of rain that comes with the wind. Before i could get to where we would be checked in, I was already was practically soaked from hair to toe. I started feeling cold and feverish but I no send... I told myself, it is either you get this vis today or you die here today...

So after all the check in and biometrics process, I was directed to windows 7 which had a Male VO who was very strict. I was the last in the line so after so time, the usher directed me to go to windows 10 which had a female VO.

Fast forward to my turn...The VO was a white lady. Very friendly. She approved the lady before me. She was not in a haste and was not in a habit of cutting people off as they were talking. And so it got to my turn..

VOsad Signals me to come) Good morning can I have your I-20 and passport.

Me: Good morning Ma (Passed her my I-20 and pasport)

VO: (Looks at something on my I-20 and starts typing furiously...stops typing after sometime and then looks at my I-20 again and then she says) " wow you have a graduate assistantship, wow, congratulations"

Me: Thank you Ma

VO: Why did you apply to the ULL?

Me: (so I have been rehearsing this reply before my interview date...I basically fabricated it to be said in less than 30secs)
Basically, the ULL is strongly expertised in my area of interested research which happens to be focused on the "processing and enhancement of semiconductor materials for low K dielectrics". My desire to be at the ULL was further intensified after perusing through the faculty directory and discovering that the research direction of Dr. XXXXXXX is well in line with mine. Having communicated with her, she was willing to admit me into her research group as my supervisor. With all these in mind, I tendered in an application, knowing this would be a good fit for my PhD plans
(she was just nodding as she was typing and looking at me...mehn her eyes was not on the computer but was on me...)

VO: Have you finished your master's degree program?

Me: Yes. I concluded my program on the 1st of July at the African University of Science and Technology Abuja.

VO: Have you been employed before?

Me: Yes. After my NYSC, I worked for a period of 8 months as a graduate trainee at the XXXXXXX where they assemble and manufacture cars.

VO: What other schools did you apply to? How many admitted you ?

Me: I also applied to the University of Nebraska Lincoln (UNL) and Michigan Technological University (MTU). MTU rejected me while UNL accepted me.

VO: Did you write TOEFL and GRE

Me: Yes. I told her my scores.

VO: Tell me about your research area for your PhD program in systems engineering?

Me: My primary research would be focused on the deposition and characterisation of low K materials (SiCOH) using plasma enhanced chemical vapour deposition (PECVD).

VO: what are low K materials?

Me: (At this point i was determined to explain to her in the best way I could) Low K materials are materials that have a low dielectric constant. They are used to make the components of an integrated circuit. Remember that there was a time that this computer you are using right now was not like this, it was quite bigger and not as swift as it is now (she affirmed yes). So in other to transform it to what it is today, it faced a miniaturaization. The miniaturization of devices have lead to improved performance but however, the set back is the interconnect-induced delay called the RC delay. Low dielectric constant materials as an interconnecting insulator insulator in integrated circuits are essential for resistance-capacitance (RC) time delay.....

VO: What will this degree do for you?
Me: It is my desire to be a top researcher and a lecturer in my field in a Nigerian Institution to help produce intelligent and ambitious minds who would work tirelessly to revolutionalise Nigeria. As such, getting a PhD degree is a pertinent requirement in achieving this.

VO: Did you agree to go to this school because of the funding?

Me: No ma. Basically, almost all PhD programs are fully funded. I went for the ULL because of...

VO: (She cuts me) I will be approving your Visa. Once again congratulations on your graduate assistantship. Its indeed a great one. You will be needing your I-20 at the point of entry. She then gave me a white paper...

Me: I was just looking at her eye balls... I was so overwhelmed. I told her thank you...

While I was leaving the building I kept a straight and hard face like i was rejected so that those police officers would not task me... Gave the lady that kept my phones for me 1500 for me and that was it...

Thanks to everyone who has ever posted on this thread....
Pardon my typo error if any...

Congrats to another Ragin Cajun wink!!

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Oguibe2nice: 7:51am On Jul 28, 2019
Any one on AP since June 25.. Cgi track is blank.. Email track returns No status update for this passport no.. Case last update 26th June. My school resumes 26th of August.. I'm tearing out and gradually loosing my mind..am I the only one experiencing this emotional torment..
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by amb001: 7:56am On Jul 28, 2019
Timitex85:

I have a cousin in the US, willingly and ready to get the GRE form for me over there so that I can register online from here in Nigeria .please can someone help me with the required steps to purchase the form from the official ets site?

Thank you.

GRE form kwa?!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Time2win(m): 8:09am On Jul 28, 2019
Oguibe2nice:
Any one on AP since June 25.. Cgi track is blank.. Email track returns No status update for this passport no.. Case last update 26th June. My school resumes 26th of August.. I'm tearing out and gradually loosing my mind..am I the only one experiencing this emotional torment..

There is still time, calm down they are aware that school will resume soon too. it will change to issued soon, just exercise more patience.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by xdamson: 8:45am On Jul 28, 2019
Dalmakz:
Transcript for my USA Visa interview
Date: 25th June, 2019

B.Eng in Mechanical Engineering
MSc in Materials Science and Engineering
Taken GRE: Yes
Taken TOEFL: Yes
Academic Start Session: Fall 2019
Course of study: PhD Systems Engineering (Option of Mechanical Engineeing)
School: Univeristy of Louisianna lafayette (ULL)
Fully Funded: Yes

I got to the venue by 8:42am for a 9.00am appointnent. I was happy I used taxify as I felt I had eluded the rain, but little did I know that the rain had other plans for me. I actually thought the taxi could go into the premises but the mobile police men no gree o. As the car stopped, hustlers were already everywhere offering me umbrella as it was raining heavily. So I got down and stood with one of them who was a lady under her umbrella (this didn't even prevent the rain from beating me). Luckily for me she was igbo so it was easy to bargain with her how much it would cost to keep my phones in her possession. I was really skeptical about giving her my phone but I no get option so I just gave her everything and took down her details on a paper. She then walked me into the embassy. It was raining heavily... you know that type of rain that comes with the wind. Before i could get to where we would be checked in, I was already was practically soaked from hair to toe. I started feeling cold and feverish but I no send... I told myself, it is either you get this vis today or you die here today...

So after all the check in and biometrics process, I was directed to windows 7 which had a Male VO who was very strict. I was the last in the line so after so time, the usher directed me to go to windows 10 which had a female VO.

Fast forward to my turn...The VO was a white lady. Very friendly. She approved the lady before me. She was not in a haste and was not in a habit of cutting people off as they were talking. And so it got to my turn..

VOsad Signals me to come) Good morning can I have your I-20 and passport.

Me: Good morning Ma (Passed her my I-20 and pasport)

VO: (Looks at something on my I-20 and starts typing furiously...stops typing after sometime and then looks at my I-20 again and then she says) " wow you have a graduate assistantship, wow, congratulations"

Me: Thank you Ma

VO: Why did you apply to the ULL?

Me: (so I have been rehearsing this reply before my interview date...I basically fabricated it to be said in less than 30secs)
Basically, the ULL is strongly expertised in my area of interested research which happens to be focused on the "processing and enhancement of semiconductor materials for low K dielectrics". My desire to be at the ULL was further intensified after perusing through the faculty directory and discovering that the research direction of Dr. XXXXXXX is well in line with mine. Having communicated with her, she was willing to admit me into her research group as my supervisor. With all these in mind, I tendered in an application, knowing this would be a good fit for my PhD plans
(she was just nodding as she was typing and looking at me...mehn her eyes was not on the computer but was on me...)

VO: Have you finished your master's degree program?

Me: Yes. I concluded my program on the 1st of July at the African University of Science and Technology Abuja.

VO: Have you been employed before?

Me: Yes. After my NYSC, I worked for a period of 8 months as a graduate trainee at the XXXXXXX where they assemble and manufacture cars.

VO: What other schools did you apply to? How many admitted you ?

Me: I also applied to the University of Nebraska Lincoln (UNL) and Michigan Technological University (MTU). MTU rejected me while UNL accepted me.

VO: Did you write TOEFL and GRE

Me: Yes. I told her my scores.

VO: Tell me about your research area for your PhD program in systems engineering?

Me: My primary research would be focused on the deposition and characterisation of low K materials (SiCOH) using plasma enhanced chemical vapour deposition (PECVD).

VO: what are low K materials?

Me: (At this point i was determined to explain to her in the best way I could) Low K materials are materials that have a low dielectric constant. They are used to make the components of an integrated circuit. Remember that there was a time that this computer you are using right now was not like this, it was quite bigger and not as swift as it is now (she affirmed yes). So in other to transform it to what it is today, it faced a miniaturaization. The miniaturization of devices have lead to improved performance but however, the set back is the interconnect-induced delay called the RC delay. Low dielectric constant materials as an interconnecting insulator insulator in integrated circuits are essential for resistance-capacitance (RC) time delay.....

VO: What will this degree do for you?
Me: It is my desire to be a top researcher and a lecturer in my field in a Nigerian Institution to help produce intelligent and ambitious minds who would work tirelessly to revolutionalise Nigeria. As such, getting a PhD degree is a pertinent requirement in achieving this.

VO: Did you agree to go to this school because of the funding?

Me: No ma. Basically, almost all PhD programs are fully funded. I went for the ULL because of...

VO: (She cuts me) I will be approving your Visa. Once again congratulations on your graduate assistantship. Its indeed a great one. You will be needing your I-20 at the point of entry. She then gave me a white paper...

Me: I was just looking at her eye balls... I was so overwhelmed. I told her thank you...

While I was leaving the building I kept a straight and hard face like i was rejected so that those police officers would not task me... Gave the lady that kept my phones for me 1500 for me and that was it...

Thanks to everyone who has ever posted on this thread....
Pardon my typo error if any...

Congratulations, welcome to the city of crawfish! Go Cajuns!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by 100kobo(m): 10:27am On Jul 28, 2019
Oguibe2nice:
Think about this; they could have easily refused you all these while, but they haven't. That means there is plenty of hope. The earlier you take your mind off the AP to avoid high BP, the better for you.

6 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by JTDeus: 10:48am On Jul 28, 2019
Oguibe2nice:
Relax dear. We plenty for this waka this time around, though yours is longer than mine. I've been on Abuja AP since July 11 with resumption August 21. All those trackers you listed later became blind about my status too. Keep tracking via https://ceac.state.gov/CEACStatTracker/Status.aspx?eQs=WwjqOlbeRYzCYubaSQI+RA==.
It can only get better. Cheers!

6 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Oasishavenng: 10:51am On Jul 28, 2019
Congratulations to all those who were recently approved. Enjoy Trump land.
To those who were delayed, we keep pushing and we get it.

Those seeking PTA, you can check stanbic ibtc, they don't require return ticket like gtb.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Jondoe509: 11:36am On Jul 28, 2019
Good day everyone,
Please how do I prove home ties guys? I graduated 2017 and went for nysc 2018. I’m currently not working and I’m not married.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by 100kobo(m): 12:12pm On Jul 28, 2019
Jondoe509:
Good day everyone,
Please how do I prove home ties guys? I graduated 2017 and went for nysc 2018. I’m currently not working and I’m not married.
Marriage and job are good reasons. You could also think of other options.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Senatorbee(m): 1:23pm On Jul 28, 2019
Oasishavenng:
Congratulations to all those who were recently approved. Enjoy Trump land.
To those who were delayed, we keep pushing and we get it.

Those seeking PTA, you can check stanbic ibtc, they don't require return ticket like gtb.
How much is there exchange rate
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by bintbal: 1:26pm On Jul 28, 2019
Greetings to everyone on this platform. This platform has silently help build my confidence on the issue of student visa.
I also need advice on certain issues
1. I got a PhD admission to st.Louis university Missouri with graduate research assistantship and I plan to go with my family at once.
2.the date I got for interview is 5th of Aug and the resumption is 15th Aug.
Any advice as regards this two issues will be highly appreciated.

N.B am a woman with spouse and three kids

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Time2win(m): 1:45pm On Jul 28, 2019
bintbal:
Greetings to everyone on this platform. This platform has silently help build my confidence on the issue of student visa.
I also need advice on certain issues
1. I got a PhD admission to st.Louis university Missouri with graduate research assistantship and I plan to go with my family at once.
2.the date I got for interview is 5th of Aug and the resumption is 15th Aug.
Any advice as regards this two issues will be highly appreciated.

N.B am a woman with spouse and three kids

you haven't listed any issue here

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by DavidhumeNO: 1:48pm On Jul 28, 2019
Oguibe2nice:
Calm down ehn, you've been fine for this long. It is almost over. Once your last updated changes, then the next thing is issued and the next is pickup. You're a fighter and you've held on for this long. It's too late to give up. Just come and give us the testimony on Monday/Tuesday.

8 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Time2win(m): 3:32pm On Jul 28, 2019
Congrats @ Dalmaks, ayobamisam, stellyhardy, bestcyrilthebes

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Flaame(m): 3:52pm On Jul 28, 2019
Hello, everyone, please I need an advice on how to book for emergency appointment. I want to retire for another interview, but my sevis fee expires on August 14,is it possible to get a date on or before 14th if I should use an emergency appointment?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Time2win(m): 3:58pm On Jul 28, 2019
Flaame:
Hello, everyone, please I need an advice on how to book for emergency appointment. I want to retire for another interview, but my sevis fee expires on August 14,is it possible to get a date on or before 14th if I should use an emergency appointment?

have you been refused within the last 6months?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by freshStarz: 4:07pm On Jul 28, 2019
Timitex85:

Thank you.

Please if you are successful in this process. Let me know. I want to register too
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Flaame(m): 7:37pm On Jul 28, 2019
Time2win:

have you been refused within the last 6months?
Yes,i have been refused within the last 6 months, its been more than 6 months
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Time2win(m): 7:51pm On Jul 28, 2019
Flaame:
Yes,i have been refused within the last 6 months, its been more than 6 months

what is more than 6 months? I don't understand
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Timi1990(m): 8:39pm On Jul 28, 2019
Senatorbee:

How much is there exchange rate

Not more than 360/$ . If they charge you more than 360/$ rate , then go to a registered BDC and buy from them. BDC sell @ 359/$ - 360/$.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Timi1990(m): 8:42pm On Jul 28, 2019
Timitex85:

Thank you.

Just go to ets website and fill out the form and make payment with debit or credit card or your cousin can make the payment for you . If you’re doing it yourself in Nigeria , then you’ll have to use your bank debit card and make payment @ bank exchange rate.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Addenn: 2:14am On Jul 29, 2019
Can someone with experience or better info address this question please
Jondoe509:
Good day everyone,
Please how do I prove home ties guys? I graduated 2017 and went for nysc 2018. I’m embarassedcurrently not working and I’m not married.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Predstan: 2:18am On Jul 29, 2019
Addenn:
Can someone with experience or better info address this question please

The only way to prove home ties is to prepare for the Common questions the Vos ask when u interview.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 5:33am On Jul 29, 2019
You're welcome bro... 50 days on AP isn't easy, thank God it ended in praise... We shall see on the other side... Goodluck bro

bestcyrilthebes:
first i want to say Thanks to GOD almighty and also to everyone was has contributed positively to this thread, May God continue to bless you all. I had my visa interview on 6th of june at abuja embassy i had 17k deficit , sponsor my uncle i was placed on Ap for 50 days no extra documents was asked just my uncle bank statement kept checking everyday till yesterday it was issued will drop full transcript later . just want to encourage everyone on AP to be positive soon your status will change to issued also @justobama thanks for always checking up .

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Senatorbee(m): 6:01am On Jul 29, 2019
Pls my horizon just opened now, The statement of account I collected from me by the V.O for Administrative processing check was not returned to me at the DHL pick up point in Isolo, I asked and they replied its only my passport that was sent, please hope there is no problem or any one experience same, my interview was at Abuja and Visa was issued .

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by shoyoyebiodun(m): 6:31am On Jul 29, 2019
Please help review my proposed transcript.

Vo- Good morning pass me your I-20, Sevis payment receipt 

Me- here you go 

Vo- why are you going to the USA

Me- for my master in computer science and quantity Metjods with concentration in mathematical finance at Austin peay state university Tennessee.

Vo- can you tell me about your program

Me- master in computer science and Quantitative method with concentration in mathematical finance is a 2year 33credit hour course program and it focus on key areas like regression analysis,numerical analysis, financial mathematics,stochastic process and probability 

Vo- how did you here about the programme i did an extensive research using msinus usnews and i streamline my search to schools that offered math. Finance then i found apsu

Vo- how many school did you apply to 

Me- 3, wku,mtsu,Austin pea state university

Vo- why Austin Pea State University

Me- aside the fact that i was offered a GTA with stipends that would cover for the whole of my tuition,APSU offered broad course in math finance which integrate both theoretical and practise of mathematics couple with current research going on by prof. **** on developing a mathematical model which can be use to tackle the issue of poor pension calculation remuneration which align with my career goal.

Vo- what will you do after this degree

Me- I will be coming back to Nigeria to take a senior role at my current job as a quantitative financial analyst and at a later point in my career will be going to any of our public university so that i can teach and morivate young people willing to take up a job in financial fraud investigation and consultancy

Vo- what have you been doing after graduation

Me- I went for my compulsory NYSC from July 2012 thru June 2013 after which I got a job with xyz company as a bulk teller for 4year before I move to my current in 2017 as a ***manager

Vo- why did you choose this course 

Me- I choose this course because it will give me advance knowledge of computer and uses of mathematical process in solving financial problem which will give me competitive edge and will open alot of career opportunities after graduation.

Vo- did you write any standardize test 

Me- Yes GRE

Vo- what's your score 

Me- 307, quantitative reasoning 157, verbal reasoning 147 and critical written 3.0

Vo- how will you fund your study 

Me- I was offered a GA that cover the whole of my tuition and my uncle Mr. **** that work at **** would be taking care of the remaining cost 

Vo-how did you get the GA

Me- I apply with my GRE test score, my undergraduate CGPA, letter of recommendation and I wrote a letter to director of the department that gave me the GA.

Fairheart shawarma LagosismyHome Time2win Predstan

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Oasishavenng: 8:22am On Jul 29, 2019
Senatorbee:
Pls my horizon just opened now, The statement of account I collected from me by the V.O for Administrative processing check was not returned to me at the DHL pick up point in Isolo, I asked and they replied its only my passport that was sent, please hope there is no problem or any one experience same, my interview was at Abuja and Visa was issued .

I believe other document will be sent to your mailing address
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 8:28am On Jul 29, 2019
Jondoe509:
Good day everyone, Please how do I prove home ties guys? I graduated 2017 and went for nysc 2018. I’m currently not working and I’m not married.

Don't give the VO any impression of immigrant intent when answering questions. Make sure the program you're going for will be very applicable here in Nigeria upon return. Give excellent reasons why you want to study that course in the US, and plans after graduating.

Addenn:
Can someone with experience or better info address this question please.

Check if the suggestions above would be helpful

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (187) (188) (189) (190) (191) (192) (193) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.