Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,315 members, 7,811,941 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:15 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1357225 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Davidkking(m): 9:15am On Jun 12, 2019
Temi87:
Missouri state university, masters in project management. My GPA was 3.05/5 though she never asked for my GPA. She worked with my 1-20 and bank statement only, she didn’t ask to see my GRE or TOEFL.
My school too.....I hope it's not about the school
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 9:17am On Jun 12, 2019
Temi87:
Missouri state university, masters in project management. My GPA was 3.05/5 though she never asked for my GPA. She worked with my 1-20 and bank statement only, she didn’t ask to see my GRE or TOEFL.

Okay, I'll review your transcript and give my 2 cents
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 9:21am On Jun 12, 2019
Miaanita, I hope you got your visa? Not sure you posted your transcript.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Temi87: 9:25am On Jun 12, 2019
Thank you.
bracelum:

Okay, I'll review your transcript and give my 2 cents
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Temi87: 9:25am On Jun 12, 2019
Did you get funding?
Davidkking:

My school too.....I hope it's not about the school
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Davidkking(m): 9:34am On Jun 12, 2019
Temi87:
Did you get funding?
No..... I'm going for a bachelor's degree tho
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 9:37am On Jun 12, 2019
Temi87:
Good morning everyone. A friend just told me about this page. My visa was denied yesterday at the consulate in lagos. This was my transcript

Me: good morning
VO: pass me your passport and document. Why did you choose your school.
Me: I chose it because it is accredited by the project management institute global accreditation centre for project management and also offers it under the department of tech and construction management and because I studied Building tech as an undergraduate, it was essential I continued in the same path.
VO: when did you graduate
Me: I graduated in 2016
VO: from which school
Me: the university of lagos
VO: did you take the GRE
Me: yes I did (she looked at me like I should day my score) I had 309 in my GRE and 105 in my TOEFL. (I didn’t mention my school didn’t require toefl, just the GRE)
VO: so what have you been doing since you graduated
Me: I worked with the state ministry of works and housing for a while where I discovered there is increasing need for qualified project managers because a lot projects functionally fail at their delivery dates, I proceeded to work for my former lecturer who is a consultant for various construction companies, going to sites with him and applying PM tools and techniques. Currently I work at a bank headquarters in the project management services department, evacuating the performance risks of various companies who come for loans or extensions on their loans to execute their projects.
VO: who is your sponsor
Me: my elder sister
VO: what does she do
Me: she’s supplies oil and gas to companies as a marketer for nnpc. (Forgot to mention she also manages our mums properties where we collect rent including one hospital)
Vo: pass me her bank statement . (Then she typed for a long time). Has she ever travelled before?
Me: no she hasn’t. (She has a Schengen visa she never used though I didn’t mention that, and she was denied a Canadian visa earlier this year but I don’t know how the VO will connect me to that)
Vo:are you married or single
Me:I’m not married.
Vo: I’m sorry I won’t be approving your visa, though I feel you’ll be qualified at a later time.
Me: thank you. (Then I left).

It was the last at window 7 who nods a lot. I don’t know what the next step should be, though I’m thinking to sending an email to my school to keep them updated of this hitch. The total cost was about 8 million and I had a bank statement of 17 million. I need advice please. Thank you.

Before, I proceed, I must admit that you have a strong profile and shouldn't have applied to this program or this school. Your profile could have gotten you a far better deal. Also, I feel you were slightly unlucky in your visa interview.

BOLD 1:
Those reasons you gave are terrible! Every school that gives i20 have some form of accreditation. Also, I don't know why you mentioned your department or the fact that your undergrad course was similar. In fact, after reading that response, I predicted you were going to be denied.

You need to give a better response. Look for three unique features in your program and say that to the VO. You can get those reasons from your application essays (SOP), assuming you did not copypaste and submit one of those random SOPs online.

For insights, search my previous mentions and look for that University of Idaho candidate that give three superb features of his program. Do not mention accreditation, ranking, school-to-faculty ratio or one of those random things.

BOLD 2:
Link your work experience to your degree. Talk about the various Project Management exposure you had and how it will benefit your degree.

Something like this, "After my graduation, I worked at XXXXXXX, where I was a Field Technician and applied project management techniques such as A, B and C in driving our implementation strategies. After that experience, I had my mandatory NYSC teaching experience at XXXXXXXX, where I tutored five subjects and organized various field trips showing the practical application of project management techniques in [list the five subjects]. After my NYSC experience, I joined XXXXX as a Project Manager Trainee, where I learned advanced techniques such as [insert three industry terms]. You can go further and discuss how this degree will give you career progression.

Now, this is a sample for you to replicate. Don't be a lazybone and copy everything I wrote here. Make your own draft similar to this and make sure you don't lie. The key here is to link your work experience to your current degree

BOLD 3

Your sponsorship seems legit and sound

BOLD 4
The VO wants you to prepare harder and come back for your interview. Your profile is good and you should get the visa if you prepare hard enough.

When you make your next draft, put it here so that it can be reviewed once more before your interview

18 Likes 5 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Judgepelumi(m): 9:42am On Jun 12, 2019
I think your age played a factor coupled with you being single at the same time
Temi87:
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by ysteph: 9:43am On Jun 12, 2019
Good morning people. Please can I use a fixed deposit certificate to go for student Visa interview at the US embassy? Secondly is Northeastern University, Boston a red flag school?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Brown2Green(m): 9:44am On Jun 12, 2019
Judgepelumi:

This is not true!

Age is never a factor for Masters and PhD .
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Brown2Green(m): 9:52am On Jun 12, 2019
ysteph:
Good morning people. Please can I use a fixed deposit certificate to go for student Visa interview at the US embassy? Secondly is Northeastern University, Boston a red flag school?

Someone here was turned back for this . He had to bring back an SOA.
So don't use it.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Temi87: 9:54am On Jun 12, 2019
Lol I’m 25.
Judgepelumi:
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Temi87: 9:55am On Jun 12, 2019
Thank you for your time. I’ll make the necessary adjustments and post a transcript before trying again.
bracelum:

Before, I proceed, I must admit that you have a strong profile and shouldn't have applied to this program or this school. Your profile could have gotten you a far better deal. Also, I feel you were slightly unlucky in your visa interview.

BOLD 1:
Those reasons you gave are terrible! Every school that gives i20 have some form of accreditation. Also, I don't know why you mentioned your department or the fact that your undergrad course was similar. In fact, after reading that response, I predicted you were going to be denied.

You need to give a better response. Look for three unique features in your program and say that to the VO. You can get those reasons from your application essays (SOP), assuming you did not copypaste and submit one of those random SOPs online.

For insights, search my previous mentions and look for that University of Idaho candidate that give three superb features of his program. Do not mention accreditation, ranking, school-to-faculty ratio or one of those random things.

BOLD 2:
Link your work experience to your degree. Talk about the various Project Management exposure you had and how it will benefit your degree.

Something like this, "After my graduation, I worked at XXXXXXX, where I was a Field Technician and applied project management techniques such as A, B and C in driving our implementation strategies. After that experience, I had my mandatory NYSC teaching experience at XXXXXXXX, where I tutored five subjects and organized various field trips showing the practical application of project management techniques in [list the five subjects]. After my NYSC experience, I joined XXXXX as a Project Manager Trainee, where I learned advanced techniques such as [insert three industry terms]. You can go further and discuss how this degree will give you career progression.

Now, this is a sample for you to replicate. Don't be a lazybone and copy everything I wrote here. Make your own draft similar to this and make sure you don't lie. The key here is to link your work experience to your current degree

BOLD 3

Your sponsorship seems legit and sound

BOLD 4
The VO wants you to prepare harder and come back for your interview. Your profile is good and you should get the visa if you prepare hard enough.

When you make your next draft, put it here so that it can be reviewed once more before your interview
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Temi87: 9:56am On Jun 12, 2019
Oh alright. Best of luck to you.
Davidkking:

No..... I'm going for a bachelor's degree tho
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 10:01am On Jun 12, 2019
Temi87:
Thank you for your time. I’ll make the necessary adjustments and post a transcript before trying again.

Please do! And feel free to hit my email (bracelum@gmail.com) if you need further assistance.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by rockyk: 10:14am On Jun 12, 2019
rockyk:
So got to know about this thread just few days to my interview (11th June).. but a few minutes of flipping through the most recent comments, corrections on transcripts and all helped me better align my responses, plus I got denied last year November for an f1.
Below is how the interview went yesterday..

VO: What are you going to the us for.
Me: to earn an Ms in Environmental science with concentration in waste management @ the uni of idaho

VO:why the school?
Me: Aside being offered a RA that came with all the tuition and fees waived, plus a monthly stipend, The ongoing research by Prof.... Interests me As it alignes with my career goal and research interest. It focuses on conversion of different biomass waste into value added bioproducts.(stopped when I noticed she was about to throw the next question)

VO:did you write any exam?
Me: yes, Gre and TOEFL

VO: how many schools did you apply to
ME: 5

VO: Your assistantship, will you be teaching?
ME: no, it's an RA.. Primarily just researches

VO: oh, you applied to a new school, why not the old one you used the last time
ME: Largely because of the RA offer, and the curriculum in UIdaho fits better my career plan as the initial focused more on the policies and law in waste management/control

VO: going with any dependent?
Me: no, just me

VO: congrats blah blah blah.

Thanks to everyone here.
I hope this helps someone out there.
Going to Idaho? I wouldn't mind a holla.
So got to know about this thread just few days to my interview (11th June).. but a few minutes of flipping through the most recent comments, corrections on transcripts and all helped me better align my responses, plus I got denied last year November for an f1.
Below is how the interview went yesterday..

VO: What are you going to the us for.
Me: to earn an Ms in Environmental science with concentration in waste management @ the uni of idaho

VO:why the school?
Me: Aside being offered a RA that came with all the tuition and fees waived, plus a monthly stipend, The ongoing research by Prof.... Interests me As it alignes with my career goal and research interest. It focuses on conversion of different biomass waste into value added bioproducts.(stopped when I noticed she was about to throw the next question)

VO:did you write any exam?
Me: yes, Gre and TOEFL

VO: how many schools did you apply to
ME: 5

VO: Your assistantship, will you be teaching?
ME: no, it's an RA.. Primarily just researches

VO: oh, you applied to a new school, why not the old one you used the last time
ME: Largely because of the RA offer, and the curriculum in UIdaho fits better my career plan as the initial focused more on the policies and law in waste management/control

VO: going with any dependent?
Me: no, just me

VO: congrats, I'll be approving your Visa

Thanks to everyone here.
I hope this helps someone out there.
Going to Idaho? I wouldn't mind a holla.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by amb001: 10:15am On Jun 12, 2019
Indians have a student visa day TODAY in their different embassies. It's like a visa festival with majority alot of the F1 applicants given visas. There is light refreshment like ice cream and snacks too. The different VOs wear the shirts of the schools where they finished from. Is their anything like that in Nigeria?

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 10:24am On Jun 12, 2019
No. But some of them would tell you they are alumni of so and so university if you're going to the same school.
amb001:
Indians have a student visa day TODAY in their different embassies. It's like a visa festival with majority alot of the F1 applicants given visas. There is light refreshment like ice cream and snacks too. The different VOs wear the shirts of the schools where they finished from. Is their anything like that in Nigeria?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Brown2Green(m): 10:27am On Jun 12, 2019
amb001:

The dolphins in the North American Oceans differ from the ones in Eleko Beach. grin

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Beekorly(f): 10:35am On Jun 12, 2019
ysteph:

Northeastern University, Boston isn't a red flag school!

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 10:44am On Jun 12, 2019
Depends on the consular you meet. Some would not even take it let alone look at it. It can be used but nobody can say how that will go for your application. Statement of account is ideal.
ysteph:

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Time2win(m): 10:48am On Jun 12, 2019
Beekorly:

Northeastern University, Boston isn't a red flag school!

How can someone be asking that kind of question, clearly shows he didn't do his research about the school before applying

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by handoffire: 10:50am On Jun 12, 2019
ysteph:

I submitted fixed deposit for mine and it was accepted though I added an account statement with it.

Treasury Bill certificate was rejected.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by segunbolawole: 10:52am On Jun 12, 2019
Hi guys... Still await your opinion on this
segunbolawole:
Please guys... Bracelum, time2win, brown, lagosismyhome and others, quick question, and would it be okay if I draw the attention of the VO to transaction history BTW me and my sponsor in which I used to pay my tuition deposit to the school?

Kindly share your opinions. Mbok!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by tmd(f): 10:53am On Jun 12, 2019
Thank you so much for this. I would do as advised. I appreciate you.

bracelum:

Don't worry about not getting fully funded. You're in a good place and if you play your game well, $44K per year will be insignificant compared to the gains you will get from your network and the Emory brand.

I've got two advice for you;

1. Work closely with your classmates (who should be smart and well-accomplished people): This is the greatest benefit of attending elite schools because most of your classmates are smart and well-accomplished. Those individuals will be the future leaders in the society. When you build friendships with them and compete with them, you will discover that you will keep pushing yourself harder and you will keep improving. Compete with them in class, extracurriculars and the job search. You will discover how transformative your Emory experience will be after two years.

This is just like the Ronaldo vs Messi competition. When Ronaldo sees Messi doing great, he becomes motivated to do better and vice versa. The healthy competition impoves both of them simultaneously. This is one of the biggest benefits of attending an elite school with super-smart classmates.

2. Build your network: Emory (just like other elite colleges) hire the very best Professors. These Professors have tons of industry connections through industry experience in top organizations. You won't be surprised to see leaders of top organizations in your faculty (yeah, those elite schools pay tons of $$ to hire the best faculty). So, try and build connections with those Professors and get them in your network. You don't need to network with every Professor, but make sure that by the time of graduation, you have 5 Professors (with solid connections) that you can comfortable claim to have a solid relationship with.

Do not limit your network to your Professors. Check your alumni resources. Your school should have notable alumni in top organizations and they will be willing to connect with an Emory student. If you're lucky to have a strong connection with an accomplished alum who knows many other accomplished people, you're set for life . It happens a lot!!!

So, these two benefits are what you're paying $44K per year to acquire. To be honest, you can't put a price tag on them because they are invaluable. So, make sure you spend significant time building your network and leveraging all the benefits Emory has to give you. Five years from now, $44K per year will mean nothing to you.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by ysteph: 10:57am On Jun 12, 2019
Thank you.
handoffire:

I submitted fixed deposit for mine and it was accepted though I added an account statement with it.

Treasury Bill certificate was rejected.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by ysteph: 10:58am On Jun 12, 2019
On the school's website is it written red flag school?
Time2win:

How can someone be asking that kind of question, clearly shows he didn't do his research about the school before applying
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by ysteph: 10:59am On Jun 12, 2019
Thank you.
fairheart:
Depends on the consular you meet. Some would not even take it let alone look at it. It can be used but nobody can say how that will go for your application. Statement of account is ideal.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Brown2Green(m): 11:01am On Jun 12, 2019
ysteph:
On the school's website is it written red flag school?

You don't understand his perspective.
We have red flag schools.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by ysteph: 11:01am On Jun 12, 2019
Oh ok.
Brown2Green:

Someone here was turned back for this . He had to bring back an SOA.
So don't use it.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by ysteph: 11:02am On Jun 12, 2019
I refuse to even understand it. Thank you.
Brown2Green:

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Time2win(m): 11:03am On Jun 12, 2019
Brown2Green:

Did I say we don't have red flag schools? His questions is just like asking is Harvard university a red flag schools.

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.