Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,339 members, 7,811,981 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:27 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1357314 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Time2win(m): 11:04am On Jun 12, 2019
ysteph:
On the school's website is it written red flag school?

Are you sure, you are ready for graduate school?

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Brown2Green(m): 11:04am On Jun 12, 2019
Time2win:

Did I say we don't have red flag schools? His questions is just like asking is Harvard university a red flag schools.

I get that.
The other guy is acting like they write red flag school on the sites of red flag schools.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 11:05am On Jun 12, 2019
tmd:
Thank you so much for this. I would do as advised. I appreciate you.

Goodluck!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Brown2Green(m): 11:05am On Jun 12, 2019
ysteph:
I refuse to even understand it. Thank you.

You're proud of your arrogance. Too bad

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Time2win(m): 11:07am On Jun 12, 2019
Brown2Green:

I get that.
The other guy is acting like they write red flag school on the sites of red flag schools.

Was thinking it's me you quoted earlier.

He didn't do his research to know good schools. Maybe he just heard about the school from a friend and applied.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by ysteph: 11:10am On Jun 12, 2019
Lol. No vex. I'm not proud neither am I arrogant.
When I asked if NU is a red flag school I wasn't expecting the answer he gave me. A simple it is not a red flag school would have been ideal. To say I'm not ready for grad school or I am suppose to have done research isn't an answer. Thank you.
Brown2Green:

You're proud of your arrogance. Too bad

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Time2win(m): 11:11am On Jun 12, 2019
ysteph:
When I asked if NU is a red flag school I wasn't expecting the answer he gave me. A simple it is not a red flag school would have been ideal. To say I'm not ready for grad school or I am suppose to have done research isn't an answer. Thank you.

Smh... ain't you ashamed of asking that stupid question in the first place.

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by ysteph: 11:12am On Jun 12, 2019
Exactly. Hence my question.
Brown2Green:

I get that.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by ysteph: 11:13am On Jun 12, 2019
Like seriously? I'm not here to fight. I'll pass.
Time2win:

Smh... ain't you ashamed of asking that stupid question in the first place.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by ysteph: 11:14am On Jun 12, 2019
Why? Hasty generalizations is what gets people like you into trouble.
P.S. I'm female.
Time2win:

Was thinking it's me you quoted earlier.

He didn't do his research to know good schools. Maybe he just heard about the school from a friend and applied.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Time2win(m): 11:17am On Jun 12, 2019
ysteph:
Why? Hasty generalizations is what gets people like you into trouble.
P.S. I'm female.

Update your profile to female. Don't expect me to know when you didn't indicate. There is an option for that on nairaland

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by ysteph: 11:17am On Jun 12, 2019
Thank you.
Beekorly:

Northeastern University, Boston isn't a red flag school!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by segunbolawole: 11:23am On Jun 12, 2019
Funding and GA is the easy way, how about those with partial scholarship and no GA...... Sigh!!!
rockyk:
So got to know about this thread just few days to my interview (11th June).. but a few minutes of flipping through the most recent comments, corrections on transcripts and all helped me better align my responses, plus I got denied last year November for an f1.
Below is how the interview went yesterday..

VO: What are you going to the us for.
Me: to earn an Ms in Environmental science with concentration in waste management @ the uni of idaho

VO:why the school?
Me: Aside being offered a RA that came with all the tuition and fees waived, plus a monthly stipend, The ongoing research by Prof.... Interests me As it alignes with my career goal and research interest. It focuses on conversion of different biomass waste into value added bioproducts.(stopped when I noticed she was about to throw the next question)

VO:did you write any exam?
Me: yes, Gre and TOEFL

VO: how many schools did you apply to
ME: 5

VO: Your assistantship, will you be teaching?
ME: no, it's an RA.. Primarily just researches

VO: oh, you applied to a new school, why not the old one you used the last time
ME: Largely because of the RA offer, and the curriculum in UIdaho fits better my career plan as the initial focused more on the policies and law in waste management/control

VO: going with any dependent?
Me: no, just me

VO: congrats, I'll be approving your Visa

Thanks to everyone here.
I hope this helps someone out there.
Going to Idaho? I wouldn't mind a holla.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Predstan: 11:23am On Jun 12, 2019
ysteph:
Thank you.

That school is Big enough for anyone to know that it’s not a red flag school. Nevertheless, be prepared to apply with a very good profile if you are going for science, Engineering or Business Program.

Good luck

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Brown2Green(m): 11:27am On Jun 12, 2019
ysteph:

Ok we're good.

Are you going to NIU?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by segunbolawole: 11:28am On Jun 12, 2019
Please guys... Bracelum, time2win, brown, lagosismyhome and others, quick question, and would it be okay if I draw the attention of the VO to transaction history BTW me and my sponsor in which I used to pay my tuition deposit to the school?

Kindly share your opinions. Mbok!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by orimahspence: 11:30am On Jun 12, 2019
Good day, good people , I booked visa interview appointment with a university before ,now, I got a better offer from another school, I have filled another Ds160, and put the code on appointment portal , but I couldn't change the previous school name and the old sevis Id on the portal, do I have to pay another visafee?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Time2win(m): 11:33am On Jun 12, 2019
orimahspence:
Good day, good people , I booked visa interview appointment with a university before ,now, I got a better offer from another school, I have filled another Ds160, but I couldn't change the previous school name and the old sevis Id on the appointment portal , do I have to pay another visafee?

Cancel your appointment, you have one lifeline If you haven't cancelled before. Then rebook another appointment with same old receipt
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Time2win(m): 11:35am On Jun 12, 2019
segunbolawole:
Please guys... Bracelum, time2win, brown, lagosismyhome and others, quick question, and would it be okay if I draw the attention of the VO to transaction history BTW me and my sponsor in which I used to pay my tuition deposit to the school?

There is no need for that, tuition deposit is always a small amount.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nasoegodebe: 11:37am On Jun 12, 2019
Advice please.

I completed my 4 years Bachelors degree in the US, graduated and did 1 year OPT (did only 9 months), I had to come back early this year before the end date on my EAD due to health reasons.

My school gave me a direct admission to the masters program with partial scholarship . I can choose to start in the fall or spring and even deferr to a later time.

Now is it advisable to apply for the visa for the fall being that I have only spent 4 months in Nigeria or should I do NYSC first before applying to show non-immigrant intent?

Somebody from my school said to do NYSC first which I have registered for. Also, I’m not in a hurry. I’m still recovering.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by orimahspence: 11:39am On Jun 12, 2019
Time2win:

Cancel your appointment, you have one lifeline If you haven't cancelled before. Then rebook another appointment with same old receipt

I have had cause to reschedule once before , I had earlier booked appointment with a school before, but now I want to go with another school that offer me full funding
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Time2win(m): 11:41am On Jun 12, 2019
Nasoegodebe:
Advice please.

I completed my 4 years Bachelors degree in the US, graduated and did 1 year OPT (did only 9 months), I had to come back early this year before the end date on my EAD due to health reasons.

My school gave me a direct admission to the masters program with partial scholarship . I can choose to start in the fall or spring and even deferr to a later time.

Now is it advisable to apply for the visa for the fall being that I have only spent 4 months in Nigeria or should I do NYSC first before applying to show non-immigrant intent?

Somebody from my school said to do NYSC first which I have registered for. Also, I’m not in a hurry. I’m still recovering.

If you haven't recovered well. Please recover fully before embarking on another journey. Health and safety first before any other thing. You can start your nysc to while away time while you recover. USA is always there anytime you want to go.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Brown2Green(m): 11:42am On Jun 12, 2019
Nasoegodebe:
Advice please.

You should do NYSC as advised to nullify the non-immigrant intent.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Time2win(m): 11:43am On Jun 12, 2019
orimahspence:

I have had cause to reschedule once before , I had earlier booked appointment with a school before, but now I want to go with another school that offer me full funding

Then you will have to pay another visa fee if cancel this one. You can call embassy to ask if they can edit it for you, also write them through the feedback box in your cgi account.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by ysteph: 11:45am On Jun 12, 2019
Yea. Visa application loading....
Brown2Green:

Ok we're good.

Are you going to NIU?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Brown2Green(m): 11:48am On Jun 12, 2019
ysteph:
Yea. Visa application loading....

PM
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 11:49am On Jun 12, 2019
You can go back this fall or wait for NYSC, or you could get exemption. Other than this, what is your career objectives? Do you want the NYSC experience, perhaps, so that while you do that you can take time to settle the health challenges? And immediately after that, you could go back for your MS? You are in the best position to decide what is best for you as nobody here is in your shoe. You need to make calculated decision and be pleased with whatever your choices are. In my mind, anything you go for is fine. But consider the fact that your health is very important here.

Aside the fact that you have health reasons for coming back, students like you are very, very rare. I doubt if we have upto 3 out of 10 F1 applicants who return home after studies, even when they have better opportunities back home. I am happy to see you back home. You know why? The embassy will know it is not every F1 applicant that is running. That students still go to US and come back home. If you want to get in touch, you can PM me.

I wish you the best.
Nasoegodebe:
Advice please.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by AgreatMan: 11:50am On Jun 12, 2019
segunbolawole:

Sometimes, people don't get responses because their question has been crafted in a way that is very difficult to understand. I had to read your question up to 7 times to understand your point.

To your question, I will say u should use any weapon at your disposal. SOA is apparently a big deal these days Those VOs will spend a significant amount of time on your SOA, while they do that, don't just relax, guide them to take a look at that transaction u want them to see.

It is not a bad thing as long as u are not saying it like "I have already paid a tuition deposit, so, u must approve my Visa!"

Sharing this from a personal experience on a different Visa for a different country.

On more thing, if u want to show the VO that transaction. Know the exact page number on which it falls and use a pencil to mark out that transaction. This way, the VO can easily find what u want him/her to see. Don't assume the VO has a computer brain n can find any transaction on a 10 page or so SOA. I needed to emphasize that.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by bwiizy92(m): 11:51am On Jun 12, 2019
Ogunwandetosin:
Good morning gurus, pls help me check my proposed visa interview transcript...
V.o: Y r u goin to d US?
Me: I am goin to d US for my masters degree program in biochemistry and biotechnology at d Eastern Illinois university, Charleston.

V.o: How did u knw abt dis skool?
Me: I made an extensive online research abt my program of choice and got a list of schools dat offer d program and then went ahead to individually check the schools websites before settling for EIU.

V.o: Tell me abt ur program
Me: The master of biochemistry and biotechnology program at EIU is an advanced interdisciplinary program wit courses taken from 3 diff depts, d biological science dept, chemistry dept as well as d business dept. D program comprises a 34 semester hour curriculum wich is split into 19 SH of core courses, 9 SH of elective courses and 6 SH of internship. Durin dis program, I'll take a total of 9 courses which are.... (list my courses)

V.o: Whta's ur highest degree?
Me: I av a BSc in biochemistry from Bleep Uni

V.o: Year of grad?
Me: 2017

V.o: Wat av u been duin?
Me: In Dec 2018, I started working at Bleep ltd as an healthcare assistant to d pharmacist. I help in reading prescriptions and also assist d pharmacists in dispensing OTC medications to patients. Also, I help to collect biological samples from patients for laboratory clinical investigations like FBS, FBC, MPW, BCT(Will mention d abbreviations in full)

V.o: How many applications?
Me: 3. EIU, USC, Uwindsor.

V.o: How many admits?
Me: For nw, I av only gotten an offer from EIU but sincs itz my first choice, I decided to accept d offer Nd move on wit my visa application.

V.o: Why EIU?
Me: What mainly captivated me abt EIU is d opportunity to work wit Prof Britto Nathan in his neurological laboratory where he has an on-goin research project using biochemical substances to study d pathogenesis of brain cell damage in aged humans which leads to dementia such as Alzheimer's disease and this is a project I'm really interested in bcuz psycho-neurological disorders require adequate medical attention especially in 3rd world countries like my country Nigeria where mental decline is still being ignored and seen as a normal part of d aging process. His project is being funded by the Alzheimer's association and d US National Institute Of Health.
Secondly, d EIU master of biochemistry and biotechnology program is capstoned wit an internship placement instead of d usual thesis which other programs have. This internship placement will help give me a hands-on industrial and real-life practical experience to adequately prepare me for life after studies which is d labour market.

V.o: Why dis course?
Me: Biochemistry plays a very pivotal role in d daily human healthcare practise. Dis program will help equip me wit d necessary skills required to work in d scientific research laboratory wit oda healthcare practitioners to provide preventions and cures to various human diseases, using a wide range of modern molecular, biochemical and cellular techniques.

V.o: Can u tell me some of d courses u'll be taking?
Me: Techniques in biotechnology, cell physiology, advanced biochem(list all 9 courses)

V.o: Wich of ur cousres is more of interest to u and y?
Me: Medicinal chemistry is more of interest to me and datz bcuz medicinal chemistry is d chemistry of drugs. D medicinal chemistry course will also take me 2ru d basics of pharmacology. Pharmacology is d study of drugs and body interactions, nd dis is a vry vital course for anybody like myself who plans to go into d production of pharmaceuticals. I'll get to knw abt drugs, wat dey do to d body and how d body handles dem wen administered.

V.o: Can u tell me some of ur professors?
Me: Dr Tom Canam who is my academic advisor nd will take me bioenergy nd bioresources during my program, Dr melody who will take me organizational behaviour, Dr Edward who will take me medicinal chemistry, Dr Britto Nat who will take me neurobiology...

V.o: Wat will dis course do for u?
Me: D vast knowledge acquired from dis program will help build me to fully launch into d research nd development of new quality drugs and drug products to help improve pples health, increase deir life span and drastically reduce d mortality rate of life threatening diseases like Cancer, Parkinson's...

V.o: Plan after graduation?
Me: After my program, I plan to come bak to Nigeria to secure a job in a multinational pharmaceutical company like Pfizer, Novartis, Sanofi. It is my plan to work wit dem for a period of abt 5-7yrs to gather some experience, after which I'll move on to set up my own biopharmaceutical firm, also here in Nigeria.

V.o: Can u tell me some cities close to ur skool?
Me: Mattoon, Lincoln, Champaign, Chicago.

V.o: Who's gonna pay for dis?
Me: My dad. He's d CEO of Bleep Ltd, a reputable freight forwarding company based here in Nigeria.

Your transcripts looks legit...please work on your delivery as well.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 12:01pm On Jun 12, 2019
Nasoegodebe:
Advice please.

Do the NYSC. Even without your health concerns, I will still advise you to do NYSC before moving to the US.

I always advise candidates to do NYSC before heading for their master's because you can never tell when it would be useful. We all saw what happened to Kemi Adeosun. You don't want to be disgraced in such manner in the future while you've gotten such wonderful position.

US will always be there - no need to rush.

Get well soon and work towards your NYSC.

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by MyAmericandream(f): 12:33pm On Jun 12, 2019
dumbiri99:

Can you please post their transcripts
will do that later.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by segunbolawole: 12:42pm On Jun 12, 2019
I really appreciate your insight, I'm grateful... Thank you.
AgreatMan:

Sometimes, people don't get responses because their question has been crafted in a way that is very difficult to understand. I had to read your question up to 7 times to understand your point.

To your question, I will say u should use any weapon at your disposal. SOA is apparently a big deal these days Those VOs will spend a significant amount of time on your SOA, while they do that, don't just relax, guide them to take a look at that transaction u want them to see.

It is not a bad thing as long as u are not saying it like "I have already paid a tuition deposit, so, u must approve my Visa!"

Sharing this from a personal experience on a different Visa for a different country.

On more thing, if u want to show the VO that transaction. Know the exact page number on which it falls and use a pencil to mark out that transaction. This way, the VO can easily find what u want him/her to see. Don't assume the VO has a computer brain n can find any transaction on a 10 page or so SOA. I needed to emphasize that.

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.