Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,823 members, 7,810,160 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:10 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (305) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1356258 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (302) (303) (304) (305) (306) (307) (308) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sripasupuleti: 1:14pm On Nov 21, 2019
If any body need to get cheap flight tickets to china and Philippines then click here https://www.ieagle.com/
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Kentz3: 1:14pm On Nov 21, 2019
YorubaNinja:

You don't have to pay for a new SEVIS if it's still less than a year. SEVIS only expires after 1-yr. Since you got a new number, just go ahead online and do a transfer to the new one.
tenks alot for the clarification
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by YorubaNinja: 1:26pm On Nov 21, 2019
Chidon360:
Good morning house, please is there anybody here that got admission or already attending Austin peay state university?

I god admission for spring 2020, and I applied for Graduate assistantship. my i-20 was sent to me last week but no trace of assistantship from the school or department.

My Question is , will they send me a separate offer letter for the Graduate Assistantship or what? Because am about booking for interview and didn’t want to go to embassy without any funding.

Please attend to my Question.

First and foremost, I'll advise you not to go into the visa interview discussing about GA (Grad Assistant) as it's NOT part of the admission criteria. You're ONLY eligible for a GA after enrollment as a student and NOT until after a semester or a year with good grades to back it up.

Again and again, you don't go to the Visa interview with this intent as you're meant to prove that your Sponsor is capable of financing your education throughout your stay and NOT, through GA. Just like some students work cuz you're eligible for it doesn't mean you should tell them (IO) you plan to work. It's a No-no and lose-lose.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 1:50pm On Nov 21, 2019
YorubaNinja:

First and foremost, I'll advise you not to go into the visa interview discussing about GA (Grad Assistant) as it's NOT part of the admission criteria. You're ONLY eligible for a GA after enrollment as a student and NOT until after a semester or a year with good grades to back it up.

Again and again, you don't go to the Visa interview with this intent as you're meant to prove that your Sponsor is capable of financing your education throughout your stay and NOT, through GA. Just like some students work cuz you're eligible for it doesn't mean you should tell them (IO) you plan to work. It's a No-no and lose-lose.

Maybe in those days .... but now it's perfectly fine to state any funding you have and in some cases it can work to your advantage..... Vos live in migeria and have an idea of the living wages..... GA or Student with funding makes them a stronger candidate not to fall out of status and be more credible as a student in my opinion , giving the general wages in Nigeria compared to the cost of schooling in nigeria

If I had funding I will even bring it up if it's not mentioned . Lastly yes some people are award GA from beginning while others might be after a semester but you do have those award before and those who it is clearly stated on the i20

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 1:52pm On Nov 21, 2019
Chidon360:
Good morning house, please is there anybody here that got admission or already attending Austin peay state university?

I god admission for spring 2020, and I applied for Graduate assistantship. my i-20 was sent to me last week but no trace of assistantship from the school or department.

My Question is , will they send me a separate offer letter for the Graduate Assistantship or what? Because am about booking for interview and didn’t want to go to embassy without any funding.

Please attend to my Question.

If you were given GA then for me . It's much better if its stated on the i20.... contact the school and see if they can change it

But you need to confirm if you just applied or if you applied and was actually awarded one

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Pepperoni001: 2:05pm On Nov 21, 2019
I was denied visa in July for FALL 2019, so that prompted me to defer the admission till FALL 2020. Now I have been readmitted for FALL 2020 with GAship at EIU. I need to know if I need to do anything with my SEVIS fee considering it was for FALL 2019. My form I-20 will arrive in March 2020 with the GAship letter.

Thanks in anticipation.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by wue1: 2:38pm On Nov 21, 2019
YorubaNinja:

You don't have to pay for a new SEVIS if it's still less than a year. SEVIS only expires after 1-yr. Since you got a new number, just go ahead online and do a transfer to the new one.
can I text you on whatsapp
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by presiade(m): 4:32pm On Nov 21, 2019
YorubaNinja:

Can you transfer SEVIS fee more than once?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by MUN19: 4:48pm On Nov 21, 2019
I’m new here someone should pls tell me how I can get a scholarship/funding. with a CGPA of 3.53. I did mechanical engineering in my undergraduate studies. Which school is best to apply for MSc in safety engineering.

Pls guys help meeeeeeeee.

Thank you.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by urstruly1: 5:04pm On Nov 21, 2019
Living in a low trust society that is Nigeria...

It is very refreshing to be able to put ur full trust in a person you have neither seen nor spoken to before, all based solely on Nairaland recommendation and even blindly transfer money to him for a crucial payment of the SEVIS fees, all $350 (a sizable amount at that) and for that person to deliver within the time the person promised... It is rare...

@Walspring thanks alot for your reliable and timely service. Appreciate you..

9 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Juwon21: 6:15pm On Nov 21, 2019
House, please how long does it take for GRE results to be released and one can use it for admission purpose for masters
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by psychologyshuby: 8:37pm On Nov 21, 2019
Hi...how was your interview
N2B2:

House, please. ^^
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Heygood: 8:54pm On Nov 21, 2019
Good evening guys,
I would like to ask some questions. If your sponsor has had constant money flow in their account (salary account) and huge sums of money are deposited in it a month or a couple weeks to one's visa interview would it be a red flag? Do they expect the sponsorship money to have been saved up for for a while?; Is it required that the sponsorship money be in the account for a long while? And is it acceptable for money to be taken out of the account as long as it doesn't interfere with the sponsorship money? sorry, I have a lot of questions. Please, I really need answers asap
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by auspicie(m): 11:17pm On Nov 21, 2019
LagosismyHome:

If you were given GA then for me . It's much better if its stated on the i20.... contact the school and see if they can change it

But you need to confirm if you just applied or if you applied and was actually awarded one
Plz I need to get connected with the following; Lagosismyhome, textrem, walspring. here is my mail connectsamsudeen@gmail.com. Thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Time2win(m): 1:58am On Nov 22, 2019
Heygood:
Good evening guys,
I would like to ask some questions. If your sponsor has had constant money flow in their account (salary account) and huge sums of money are deposited in it a month or a couple weeks to one's visa interview would it be a red flag? Do they expect the sponsorship money to have been saved up for for a while?; Is it required that the sponsorship money be in the account for a long while? And is it acceptable for money to be taken out of the account as long as it doesn't interfere with the sponsorship money? sorry, I have a lot of questions. Please, I really need answers asap

In some cases it can be seen as red flag. For example, if your account balance has been reading 1m naira for over a year and suddenly 30m comes in within few weeks, it will raise some concerns and can be seen as redflag. so best thing is to avoid such scenario and find a way to build the account in time.

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 4:12am On Nov 22, 2019
You are right. In fact, I have 3 ladies denied this Spring because of this "dumping of fund". The consulars are now trained to look for such first before they take in the SOA for verification. Based on those i know that were recently denied, the VO went through the transactions, noticed the dump, and return the statement and refuse them.
I hope your studies is going smooth? Glad you still come here to assist. God bless you!
Time2win:

In some cases it can be seen as red flag. For example, if your account balance has been reading 1m naira for over a year and suddenly 30m comes in within few weeks, it will raise some concerns and can be seen as redflag. so best thing is to avoid such scenario and find a way to build the account in time.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 4:28am On Nov 22, 2019
Let it be known to all of you going for interview for Spring 2020 and fall 2020. DO NOT EVER USE "PACKAGED BANK STATEMENT"
A packaged bank statement is the one a family member dump large sum of money in the account a month, weeks, days to the interview. This would be sum that have not been flowing through the account in recent times, at least from 1st month to like 4th month of the 6-month period.

ADVISE:
1. Make sure you read the transaction details of the statement you are going with.
2. Make sure your sponsor balance is higher than the Total Cost of Attendance for your program (this automatically boost your chance of approval should your interview get to the stage the consular ask for your bank statement (indicating he/she has concluded in him/herself you're credible)
3. Make sure the total credit (of money being deposited in the account for the period of 6 month is okay (you do not have control over this, but just check and make sure the total credit is not bad). The total credit is the sum of all the money that has been deposited over the period of 6 months. It is always stated on the bank statement. The consular would look at this figure to DETERMINE your sponsor financial strength as to whether or not they have strong and consistent financial income to successfully support you while you study in the US.
4. I recommend you get some amount of scholarship, and preferably, GA if that is position. Apply for GA, and don't just settle for the admission alone.
5. Know your sponsor, and don't just take a bank statement from someone without knowledge of what they do.
6. I know a few persons they banned this fall 2019 because of they doubt the embassy commitment on bank statement verification. They always verify if they take your statement down. So, avoid what is not real.

I hope to come here more often to join with other gurus to inform the novice and new comers.
God's Blessing is on us.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by alexohams2000(m): 4:41am On Nov 22, 2019
[Qquote author=segunbolawole post=84085997]Hi Comrade,

Applying to one school doesn't mean unseriousness, it's the situation of our country and migration story that put us in such fix.. If we should follow our SOP and mean every word in it, you will barely have two schools that will give you same resource you going for. I'm sure u will agree with me that u can't use one SOP for multiple schools. So, that means our so called passion we describe in the SOP is coined for the purpose of getting out.

No attack here, but I am not a fan of the way people sound in matters about studying in USA...
My Jamb, I only went to write Post Utme in one school, I wasn't denied admission because of that. And that's because I was sure of what I wanted.

Anyway... The perception of reality is more real than reality itself. US embassy has shaped what we see normal and abnormal not our true drive.
[/quote]

With all due respect Sir.

Even in your so called JAMB you had the opportunity to choose like three schools, or should I say, you were mandated to choose at least three school. So that too makes no sense to you? APPLYING TO JUST ONE SCHOOL IS A SIGN OF UNSERIOUSNESS AND LAZINESS, Take it or leave it.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by alexohams2000(m): 4:43am On Nov 22, 2019
segunbolawole:
Hi Comrade,

Applying to one school doesn't mean unseriousness, it's the situation of our country and migration story that put us in such fix.. If we should follow our SOP and mean every word in it, you will barely have two schools that will give you same resource you going for. I'm sure u will agree with me that u can't use one SOP for multiple schools. So, that means our so called passion we describe in the SOP is coined for the purpose of getting out.

No attack here, but I am not a fan of the way people sound in matters about studying in USA...
My Jamb, I only went to write Post Utme in one school, I wasn't denied admission because of that. And that's because I was sure of what I wanted.

Anyway... The perception of reality is more real than reality itself. US embassy has shaped what we see normal and abnormal not our true drive.

With all due respect Sir.

Even in your so called JAMB you had the opportunity to choose like three schools, or should I say, you were mandated to choose at least three school. So that too makes no sense to you? APPLYING TO JUST ONE SCHOOL IS A SIGN OF UNSERIOUSNESS AND LAZINESS, Take it or leave it.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by alexohams2000(m): 5:05am On Nov 22, 2019
N2B2:

Do business? Aren't you going to study? That's a huge red flag; they'd consider you a potential migrant.

Also, why are you getting school information from Forbes?

I think you could work on these.

As in eeh, the red flag is glaring
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by alexohams2000(m): 5:12am On Nov 22, 2019
PtBlank:
Hello, I have an appointment date for 2nd week in December but I logged in now and noticed that there are earlier dates. However, attached is the message that pops up on my dashboard. The 'Reschedule appointment' tab is active. Does this mean I'll have to pay another receipt fee if I try to reschedule?

Note: I haven't cancelled any appointment before

It is very clear, dont cancel
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by alexohams2000(m): 5:13am On Nov 22, 2019
nmicky:
can someone present his father's company statement of account during f1 visa interview processes.

Yes, though it is not the best to do, just be sure to go with the necessary backup letters.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by alexohams2000(m): 5:22am On Nov 22, 2019
BeebarHH:
Hi everyone.

I had to retrieve my password to submit this post as I forgot it as soon as I opened the account years ago. This is because I think it's really important to also drop my transcript here as i have read several transcripts from the older threads which really helped me today at the embassy. So I'd like to thank everyone who has made a comment or another since the beginning of US visa thread (I'm not sure if 'thread' is what they call it but you know what I mean yeah?)

The pre-screening section was fine but i got a bit scared when a lady who's supposed to confirm the passport right before the bio-metrics shook her head while looking through my I-20. She didn't say what the issue was but I knew I had to start praying immediately. I then noticed pink and yellow slips being issued to most applicants. If I hadn't read through this thread from part 13, I would have assumed they were all granted the visa because some of those applicants had been the US and many other countries before and sounded legit. I personally didn't understand the reason for the denial. Anyway, lets skip to my interview.

I was interviewed by a guy at the third booth which went like this
VO: Good morning
ME: Good morning
VO: Pass me your passport please
ME: Here
VO: So you're going to Georgia state
ME: Yes I am. i intend to study for a master's degree in Geosciences at Georgia State University
VO: oh Student Visa
ME: yes
VO: pass me your I-20
ME: here
VO: (looks through the i-20) ohhh Master's
ME: yes, Masters in geosciences
VO: How long is your program
ME: 28 months
VO: how many schools did you apply to?
ME: three schools. Kansas state university, the University of North Dakota and georgia state Uni but I chose Georgia State Uni because I was impressed by its academic ranking in terms of innovation, commitment to teaching and also research. I was also interested in the work of Dr Hassan who has worked extensively on structural geology. I intend to use the acquired to further study the Niger Delta. The Niger Delta hosts the largest oil reserve in Nigeria.
VO: (nods) very good. so you intend to go for a PhD afterwards?(then he looked right into my eyes)
ME: (looking confused) No, I believe the knowledge acquired would be enough to independently study the Niger Delta. My plan is to apply to Shell Nigeria, where I did my graduate Internship, as an experienced Geologist wherein I'd use the data acquired over the years to further understand reservoir connectivity and communication which would in turn boost hydrocarbon production.
VO: (nods) very good. So you did an Internship at Shell
ME: Yes
VO: good...I see you have a deficit of $12000 aside your assistantship. Who'd be paying for that?
ME:My Uncle
VO: Pass me his Bank Statement
ME: Okay but give me a second to get it...here
VO: (looks through it for longer than I expected and I suspected that he assumed the statement was in Naira but I didn't say anything) Oh he's in switzerland so the currency is in CHF
ME: yeah
VO: (he looked me in the eye again) i will be issuing your visa (pauses for a second to process my reaction) you should pick it up at the point...(I didnt hear the rest cuz I was trying to absorb the fact that my visa was granted)
ME: (emotionless face) Okay, thank you
VO: Please go there to pay your reciprocity fees. You should always take your I-20 with you when you travel......(I zoned out again but tried to appear like I was hearing it for the first time even though my school has put me through the entire process but of course he was trying to help and I appreciated that)
ME: ( nods) Okay, thank you.

What I learned from this is
1. Don't memorize your answers. Practicing a billion times would give you an default, memorized response but try to be flexible with it so that you can think while responding. This is because most times, the tension could cause you to forget the rhythm of your response and that could disorient you completely but if you're listening to yourself speak you can always replace a forgotten response with a more logical answer....Half of my responses weren't delivered as rehearsed.
2. Don't wait for the VO to ask every question. if you've gone through this visa posts long enough you'd see a pattern in the questions. e.g which schools did you apply to, why that school and what are your plans after the degree. Answering them before being asked shows that you actually have a plan already and didn't just cook something up because they asked. While sounding smart with your brief and combined response, the VO also wouldn't have the opportunity to pay special attention to each response like if they were asked individually.... I learned this while rehearsing with my Kid bro last night
3. Please don't lie. there was a man who said he hadn't been denied by any country as he has traveled to so many countries only for the VO to roll his eyes and say "really? are you sure?" then he started to confess and ultimately got denied. You can't tell how much info they have of you.
4. Please please and please, practice your response with the intention that you wouldn't stay any longer in the US than the degree you're going for. The PhD question that was asked of me was a trick i believe. If I had said yes then it would have shown that I wasn't eager to come back and that I'd stay back in the US at the slightest opportunity.. I actually didn't realize this until after the interview.
5. Be prepared. Practice as much as you can and be confident. If you're a genuine student with the intention to study for a better future, remind yourself of that every time because you deserve the opportunity.
6. Speak up and speak out. Don't frustrate the VO by sounding like you've got a sore in your mouth. If you have stage fright like me and tend to speak at a low tone in an interview, lean closer to the receiver. Also, once you notice that the VO is struggling with an Info, especially funding, clear the air before he gives you the pink slip. I should have spoken out immediately i noticed him struggling with the Bank Statement ... Thank God he realized it eventually but not everyone gets that lucky.
7. I don't need to tell anyone to pray. That's default. You should go in with the conviction that your prayer has been accepted. That can loosen up the tension a bit and also improve confidence.

I'm so sorry for the long post, i just wish to give back as much information as I gained from Nairaland. I hope this helps a lot of people.

by the way, hold your reciprocity fee. Its N40,700 or $110. You must show the fee in *CASH*in either currency before you even get past the second checkpoint and there are about 5 of them before meeting the VO (but they'd only confirm that you have the fee once). If you get the Visa you'd pay the fee and if you don't then you'd take your money away with you.

Finally(I promise), don't pray for the VO to retain your Passport because the system has changed. the VO would return your passport to you with a tiny pick slip and the usual white paper which you'd take to the booth where you'd pay your reciprocity fee. that's where they'd retain your passport and the tiny pink paper.

Thank you.

You too get sense! Congratulations and welcome to America

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Time2win(m): 5:36am On Nov 22, 2019
fairheart:
You are right. In fact, I have 3 ladies denied this Spring because of this "dumping of fund". The consulars are now trained to look for such first before they take in the SOA for verification. Based on those i know that were recently denied, the VO went through the transactions, noticed the dump, and return the statement and refuse them.
I hope your studies is going smooth? Glad you still come here to assist. God bless you!

Thanks for adding this, the person concerned will learn from it. Studies are going well bro, though the semester is about to finish so one will have more time to flex grin cos it has been assignment and test almost every week. Glad you are still helping out here, God bless you too.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by nitdude: 8:53am On Nov 22, 2019
Good morning my people, please where can I enrol for GRE tutorial. I mean expert tutorial am willing to pay. Your responses will be great for me
Thanks.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 9:10am On Nov 22, 2019
Try MET in Lagos, around Ogba. You should hit score like 325 with them--if their fee will not make you run grin grin grin grin
nitdude:
Good morning my people, please where can I enrol for GRE tutorial. I mean expert tutorial am willing to pay. Your responses will be great for me
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by nitdude: 9:38am On Nov 22, 2019
Where is their address and how much is this fee

fairheart:
Try MET in Lagos, around Ogba. You should hit score like 325 with them--if their fee will not make you run grin grin grin grin
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by juliouze: 10:27am On Nov 22, 2019
Anybody going to emporia this spring ?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Heygood: 10:38am On Nov 22, 2019
In some cases it can be seen as red flag. For example, if your account balance has been reading 1m naira for over a year and suddenly 30m comes in within few weeks, it will raise some concerns and can be seen as redflag. so best thing is to avoid such scenario and find a way to build the account in time. [/quote]
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Heygood: 10:46am On Nov 22, 2019
Wow. Thank You for your reply! sorry, one more thing. What if I can prove the lump sum is legit as per it was put in the account solely for the purpose of education. Perhaps a land was sold or a loan was gotten by one of my Parents. Will there be less doubt considering it's a military pensioner's account?
Time2win:

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Juwon21: 11:51am On Nov 22, 2019
Anybody at the university of Houston-clear lake or any intending applicants for next year should kindly let me know. I want to apply to the university next year fall. I need someone we can discuss the process of admission together. Good morning

(1) (2) (3) ... (302) (303) (304) (305) (306) (307) (308) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.