Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,165 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:24 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (315) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1356818 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (312) (313) (314) (315) (316) (317) (318) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Johnile123: 9:44am On Dec 04, 2019
Hello Guyz. Please I need your advice and inputs.
My Visa interview is coming up

1.Is it enough to have a closing balance of just 7M on your SOA if your deficit is 6M.
2. Is it advisable to inform the VO that your advisor has promised a TA/RA position when you resume even when you don't have a letter of confirmation regarding the stipends.

I have full tuition waiver but the school promised to give me a TA/RA position only after resumption as it's on a rolling basis but I have a personal SOA covering the deficit.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Shadbay(m): 9:51am On Dec 04, 2019
Predstan:

Use PC or Force it to desktop view

I can't get past the previous work experience section. It keeps saying connection failed. I've tried it on other devices. After filling out the information, I click on next, it says connection failed. This particular section kept me up all night, still no headway. Please help.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by juliouze: 10:06am On Dec 04, 2019
Shadbay:

I can't get past the previous work experience section. It keeps saying connection failed. I've tried it on other devices. After filling out the information, I click on next, it says connection failed. This particular section kept me up all night, still no headway. Please help.
Try using a good network and preferably chrome, there's nothing wrong with the site
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by querida(f): 10:54am On Dec 04, 2019
Hello

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by querida(f): 10:57am On Dec 04, 2019
Hello everyone. I'm applying for F1 and F2 Visa for myself and my child
1. I'm currently using my maiden name although I'm married. While my child has the father's surname. Will it be an issue that my surname is different from my child's?
2. Can I do a change of name now and take the document along to the embassy? I used my maiden name on my DS-160 and I-20

Pls note I have my marriage certificate and my child's birth certificate showing my maiden name.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by phayvoursky(m): 11:02am On Dec 04, 2019
Good day house.

I've been following this thread and it has been of help in enlightening me of what to expect when I go for visa interview.

In this light, I'd love the experts here to lend their advise on this path I'm about to tow.

I'm applying for an M-1 (vocational) visa to Broward Technical College Florida for an associate degree in welding technology. The college doesn't require English tests exams as stated on it's website because Nigeria is an English speaking country.

My questions is; can a loan be used as a proof of funds at the visa interview?

What am I to expect considering the fact that most student visa applications are F-1 as M-1 visas aren't mostly sought after?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Acceptjesus: 11:07am On Dec 04, 2019
Hello Nairaland.

The denial rate is too enormous in this month of November, I want to believe there is something fishing.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Godiswonderful: 11:11am On Dec 04, 2019
To be honest
Acceptjesus:
Hello Nairaland.

The denial rate is too enormous in this month of November, I want to believe there is something fishing.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Cocao(f): 11:21am On Dec 04, 2019
Acceptjesus:
Hello Nairaland.

I totally agree with you. It's been denial back and forth on nairaland. Or is it because it's spring?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by solihp(f): 11:45am On Dec 04, 2019
Johnile123:
Hello Guyz. Please I need your advice and inputs.
My Visa interview is coming up

1.Is it enough to have a closing balance of just 7M on your SOA if your deficit is 6M.
2. Is it advisable to inform the VO that your advisor has promised a TA/RA position when you resume even when you don't have a letter of confirmation regarding the stipends.

I have full tuition waiver but the school promised to give me a TA/RA position only after resumption as it's on a rolling basis but I have a personal SOA covering the deficit.

The VOs are not interested in the promise you were made until you have actual evidence of the TA/RA. Someone was denied earlier this year for mentioning that he was promised.

About the deficit, if you're sponsoring yourself, you need to have at least two times your deficit to cover your deficit for the duration of the program because there is an assumption that if you don't secure employment on campus and you only have the first year's deficit, you might fall out of status cause you can't work outside school.

And if someone is sponsoring you, it depends on the inflow in the account but I think 7m is too low.

What I would advice is that you can go with your 7m personal account and look for additional sponsor. So you can say that you have personal savings of 7m and that your "..." would be supporting you too, you need the person's statements of account too.

All the best.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Dgreatestt: 11:49am On Dec 04, 2019
Hello good people of NL, thank you all for your contributions.

I have a little issue, I need someone that can write a good SOP in Hospitality field.

Or if you know anyone that can help out at a fair price, kindly recommend. I'm trying to meet up with deadlines

Thank you all.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by solihp(f): 11:52am On Dec 04, 2019
Acceptjesus:
Hello Nairaland.

There's nothing fishing grin, it has always been that way, some are denied, some are approved and not everyone is on nairaland. All I would say is that you shouldn't let the denial rate affect you because all cases are different.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by solihp(f): 11:53am On Dec 04, 2019
To everyone who has been denied and has some sort of funding with not so much deficit, if you have been denied once, you can try to reapply.

And to everyone who has been trying to reapply but haven't seen a good date, just keep checking, there would be a day the embassy would open dates, some might even be days away, and the fastest people who picks it would be the lucky ones, they do that everytime, so keep checking, day and night. Don't visit too frequent though, so the system doesn't ban you for 3days. You can visit the date page 5 times a day, you might want to space out the 5 times all through the day.

Spring 2020, yes you can

All the best.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Godiswonderful: 12:16pm On Dec 04, 2019
God bless you for the words of encouragement I have been denied twice Abuja embassy (undergraduate)
solihp:
To everyone who has been denied and has some sort of funding with not so much deficit, if you have been denied once, you can try to reapply.

And to everyone who has been trying to reapply but haven't seen a good date, just keep checking, there would be a day the embassy would open dates, some might even be days away, and the fastest people who picks it would be the lucky ones, they do that everytime, so keep checking, day and night. Don't visit too frequent though, so the system doesn't ban you for 3days. You can visit the date page 5 times a day, you might want to space out the 5 times all through the day.

Spring 2020, yes you can

All the best.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Funmi27: 12:22pm On Dec 04, 2019
Thanks for d kind words.... please has anyone been lucky enough to get a date in December? I have been consistent with checking but d date keeps fluctuating btwn d days in January.

solihp:

Spring 2020, yes you can

All the best.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Godiswonderful: 12:23pm On Dec 04, 2019
Lagos ??
Funmi27:
Thanks for d kind words.... please has anyone been lucky enough to get a date in December? I have been consistent with checking but d date keeps fluctuating btwn d days in January.

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by francophone134: 12:47pm On Dec 04, 2019
Cocao:

I totally agree with you. It's been denial back and forth on nairaland. Or is it because it's spring?
no, but each year, there's always a quota that the consulate work with. When the number is complete for that year, then they'll jus b using rejection paper
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Funmi27: 1:13pm On Dec 04, 2019
Yes please, US Consulate in Lagos

Godiswonderful:
Lagos ??
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Muleriders: 1:23pm On Dec 04, 2019
Walspring:
Let’s give all the thanks to God first and also to those benevolent guys behind the stuff and not me joor.

Am sure they are reading the post.

For those who knew within them they can’t afford all the tuition cost but wants to write GRE or TOELF to get GA or TA or RA or scholarship. Discount offer for both GRE and TOEFL test is available

Kindly notify me via PM and I will try my best to reply back even with my busy schedules.

#Onelove
#OneDream

God bless you and the benevolent guys. I was a beneficiary of 50% discounted GRE and TOEFL program from you in 2017.

If there is a way i can contribute a quota to the program even if its just little as a way of giving back, I won't mind.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Muleriders: 1:27pm On Dec 04, 2019
GODofFire:
Hello house, I would like to know if 600 dollars is enough for living expenses for a month in a state like Texas, not in the major cities like Dallas, Houston etc. I got a graduate assistantship, and after all deduction, I am left with that amount as stipend per month. Also Medical insurance has been taken care of. Thanks. Cc Lagosismyhome walspring

You should be fine. If you live modest, 600bucks should sustain you
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by waynee2baba: 1:37pm On Dec 04, 2019
Acceptjesus:

I was denied visa on the 27th of November. below is my Transcript.

VO : Good morning sir
Me : Morning Sir.
V.O : Pick Up Five alive and drank.
Me : I kept Waiting
VO : Ok, Can I have your Passport and I-20 form
Me : I passed it,
V.O : Can I have your fingers placed on the Scanning Machine
Me : I placed MY hands....
V.O : Where are you going in the united state of American?
Me : I am going to Central Michigan University for my master degree in health and healthcare management
VO : why this course ?
Me : I am one person passionate about health, and Nigeria as a developing country is faced with challenges in this sector, thus affecting morbidity and mortality rate, this drawbacks can be attributed to numbers of factor ranging from poor technological adaption, Poor staff welfare, and Poor police, a degree in this discipline is going to expose me to the emerging frontiers, policies such as the Obamacare and then state of the equipment. The Vo interrupted...………………………

The V.O asked you why the course and you started by explaining who you are...
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Johnile123: 2:36pm On Dec 04, 2019
[Ok, Thanks for the advise]

The VOs are not interested in the promise you were made until you have actual evidence of the TA/RA. Someone was denied earlier this year for mentioning that he was promised.

About the deficit, if you're sponsoring yourself, you need to have at least two times your deficit to cover your deficit for the duration of the program because there is an assumption that if you don't secure employment on campus and you only have the first year's deficit, you might fall out of status cause you can't work outside school.

And if someone is sponsoring you, it depends on the inflow in the account but I think 7m is too low.

What I would advice is that you can go with your 7m personal account and look for additional sponsor. So you can say that you have personal savings of 7m and that your "..." would be supporting you too, you need the person's statements of account too.

All the best. [/quote]
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by frapzkid: 3:00pm On Dec 04, 2019
frapzkid:
Concerning the bank statement I may print for my Visa interview, does it have a specified amount and time period like the UK. Or does the VO just looks at it and decides if the statement is authentic and sufficient

Hello guys please
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by reigningme: 3:20pm On Dec 04, 2019
Hello everyone, I just received a letter of acceptance from Rowan University. Is there anyone in Rowan? Abeg let's us rob minds together. Help a brother biko. God bless you
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by DexterousOne(m): 3:20pm On Dec 04, 2019
sboj:
My visa was approved at the Lagos embassy on the 22nd of November 2019. I arrived at the embassy ahead of time for 8am appointment by 6:10 wearing a white shirt, a GOJ customized wine tie, blue trouser, brown belt and brown boots, I stood with bae at the parking lot, and she asked me questions from my proposed transcript which I answered.
Then a call was made for 8am appointment to form a queue, then proceeded for cgi confirmation. We were asked to seat at the pavilion, where we waited till 8:30, while waiting the person seated next to me started a conversation and that helped me stay relaxed.
We proceeded for security scan at the embassy building, same guy was in front of me, and then we did the 10 printing but while waiting on the long queue awaiting interview the cgi guy requested we all take a U-turn and take the 10 printing again.
All through this process my new friend was behind me and we kept talking and smiling, fast forward to when I was at the front of the line, I was directed to window 1 where a young slim tall man was seated, my guy was directed to window 3. The 2 persons before me had their visa delayed and my heart was beating fast, then it was my turn. I stepped up and the following transpired:
Me: Good morning (in a very audible and confident tone looking at him in his eyes)
VO: Good morning, can I have your passport and I20
Me: Sure
He typed for some seconds and then opened my i20
VO: why are you going to America?
Me: I am going to the state of Maryland to study for a master’s degree in business finance at the University of Baltimore, after which I will be returning home to help actively with my family business and take my CFA exam.
VO: why this school?
Me: the school is staffed with faculties with whom I have share a mutual research interest in persons of Prof Joel Morse, Dry John Weiss and Dry Jerry Yu who are renewed entrepreneurship and investment researchers, the opportunity to learn under them will be beneficial for my development, the curriculum at UB help me prepare for the CFA exams and finally it fits my budget financially.
VO: how many schools did you apply to?
Me: Two
VO: Name them?
Me: University of Baltimore and Bentley University.
VO: I can see you have been to America on a j1 visa in 2018, where did you stay?
Me: west Yarmouth Cape cod
VO: where did you work?
Me: blue water resort at west Yarmouth about 15 mins ride.
VO: what position?
Me: I worked as a front desk officer, but moved to housekeeping to help during the busy period of the season when we were understaffed.
VO: who is paying for your trip?
Me: my dad
VO: what does he do?
He is the md of a bdc, petrochemical company, aluminum importer and a real estate developer (he cuts in asking me to call them again).
VO: so it is a conglomerate, what is his monthly income?
Me: yes, the mother company is Bleep Company. Currently his monthly income is 30 million (he saying seriously) yes, as his profit.
VO: can I see his bank statement?
Me: sure, passed it with a letter from the bank. He flips through the statement of over 100 pages for a while.
VO: I will be approving you visa, do you have your reciprocal fee here?
Me: thank you and yes with a big smile.

Tips:
-Guys the main reason students are mandated to appear for an interview is to for you to make a case and prove you will return home. Many students get their visa delayed because they don’t establish home ties even after defending the reason for the course and school perfectly. So from your first answer and at every available opportunity state your intention to return home.
-Never underestimate the power of fasting and prayer, it is a believer weapon. Try Isiah 40:31, Joshua 1v9, Mathew 6:25-34, Hebrew 11:1, Proverbs 3:5-6.3
-I have read of people undermining the power of been properly dressed, please don’t fall short o, wear a formal outfit (not a suit o) it shows seriousness and intention.
-Get a practice partner to ask you possible interview question, so you can work on your spoken answer and tone or stand in front of a mirror (I prefer this because it will help you work on maintaining eye contact).
-Do your research to provide a realistic answer for the questions why this course and why this university? And when you saying it say it like you mean it.
-All through the interview maintain eye contact and keep your head up even when the vo is typing.
-Your social media says a lot about you, from the moment of application please be intentional with what you post and comment on the internet.
-Remember the school deemed you fit for admission, so go to the embassy with all the confidence and show them why.

This is an interesting transcript
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Oluwatobi06: 4:16pm On Dec 04, 2019
[quote author=clapper04 post=84589803]Visa denied this morning at window 4.

V.O: Good morning, your passport and I-20 pls
Me : Good morning sir
V.O What is your travel plan and what did you study?
Me: I'm going to the US for masters in computational and applied math at Bowie state university, Maryland and I studied mathematics
V.O How did you know about the school?
Me: I started with a google search. I made use of educational websites and I reviewed the result based on the curriculum of the my program and my area of specialization.
V.O what is your area of specialization?
Me: told him
V.O: Is there any research or thesis you would be doing during the program?
Me: I'm only going to write a comprehensive exam after the program
V.O: Did you apply to any other schools
Me: Yeah, Cleveland state, UTEP and Emporia state.
V.O Have you found a professor you are going to work with?
Me: Yes, says his name.
V.O who is your sponsor
Me: My Mum
V.O what does she do
V.O She is a businesswoman, she imports lace fabrics from China and Southkorea.
V.O Do you have her statement?
Me. Yeah, passes it to him
V.O. flips it to the last page then he continue typing, all of a sudden, unfortunately you are not....
Me jejely packs my documents and thanked him

Over to the gurus please. solihp, LagosismyHome

Please how can I check next available dates. it seems I can't check it as they haven't updated my status.

Please I am in d same shoes as u.... Pls can I contact you.. I don't know if I should reapply again in Abuja after being denied twice in Lagos.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Ekunsgreat: 4:19pm On Dec 04, 2019
DexterousOne:

This is an interesting transcript
please I’m to resume by January 15 so I register for my visa today but the appointment date they gave me is February 7 please what can I do about it .sir your opinion
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Godiswonderful: 4:37pm On Dec 04, 2019
Wow it’s not possible to go for your interview once the start of program commences ..you just have to try and keep checking for earlier dates probably late at night and reschedule... I’m sure this is Lagos.
Ekunsgreat:
please I’m to resume by January 15 so I register for my visa today but the appointment date they gave me is February 7 please what can I do about it .sir your opinion
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Ekunsgreat: 5:00pm On Dec 04, 2019
Godiswonderful:
Wow it’s not possible to go for your interview once the start of program commences ..you just have to try and keep checking for earlier dates probably late at night and reschedule... I’m sure this is Lagos.
yes it’s ..I should keep checking the site and also what you mean by I should reschedule it but I hope I will get a good date better than that?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Godiswonderful: 5:20pm On Dec 04, 2019
You can’t always check often at least 3 times a day so they don’t block you for 3 days ...check mostly at night ...but if you see you can’t get any suitable date in Lagos probably Abuja you might see an earlier date ...Lagos is really populated
Concerning rescheduling when you open your cgi profile the home page you would see reschedule appointment
Ekunsgreat:
yes it’s ..I should keep checking the site and also what you mean by I should reschedule it but I hope I will get a good date better than that?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Ekunsgreat: 5:43pm On Dec 04, 2019
Godiswonderful:
You can’t always check often at least 3 times a day so they don’t block you for 3 days ...check mostly at night ...but if you see you can’t get any suitable date in Lagos probably Abuja you might see an earlier date ...Lagos is really populated
Concerning rescheduling when you open your cgi profile the home page you would see reschedule appointment
thanks sir but if I reschedule my appointment to Abuja Is it the same visa receipt I would used ? And also is it possible for me to email them and explain to them about my date ??
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by electromagnito: 5:54pm On Dec 04, 2019
I did a PhD interview on 22nd of November, with high hope, I believed i was going to be selected because i have sent my CV and summary of my master's thesis to the group leader. After my PhD interview he told me he knew my supervisor and even told me to extend greetings to him he then continue by saying "i was the best applicant so far" so he told me to send my full master thesis to him and he will in return send me article related to the PhD programme i applied for.. I did and he sent me some article. Its been almost 2weeks now and i have not heard from him. Does this mean he deceived me and reject me? Why will you send article to student you won't pick for a phd? I am really confuse here.

(1) (2) (3) ... (312) (313) (314) (315) (316) (317) (318) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.